DVD Audio CD collection?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by getmilton
i saw your posts last week and decided to order my first DVD-As from amazon. amazon had better prices than and a similar selection to acoustic sounds.

i ordered seal: greatest hits and santana: shaman. the sound is UNREAL! lots of detail. two channel recordings sound flat. too bad this is a dying format.

thanks to all who posted sites.

--
'04 TL, AT, Navi, Black/Camel
Hey getmilton,

Let me know when your Seal greatest DVDA comes in (rather it's called Best 1991-2004) - I just picked it up today, but... there's a problem, I think, wondering if you, or anyone else has noticed.

My buddy works in a local electronics store that also sells CDs, DVDs, DVD-A etc, he demo'd the Seal Best of DVD-A in store on one of their nice setups on a Yamaha DVD player that supports DVD-A, SACD and the rest. I loved the sound, and bought it right away, mostly because I loved the acoustic versions of a lot of the songs.

Problem is the TL system ('05 TL Navi) won't play the acoustic tracks... The DVD is labelled DVD-A, but also includes some videos for play on a DVD player. On the insert, the DVD is divided into the "Entire Hits Album in 5.1 Surround Sound" and the "Entire Acoustic Album in 5.1 Surround Sound". It also has Videos on the DVD.

My TL will play tracks 1-14 (the Entire hits part) no probs, in surround, then it will recognize that there is a track number 15 (presumably track 1 of the Entire Acoustic Album), but it will sit there for 3 seconds then move to the next CD loaded into the system.

Anyone else come across this? Am I only going to be able to listen to the first 14 tracks? Anyone know how I would access the acoustic tracks? Am I pooched?

Any feedback appreciated, the acoustic tracks ROCK, would like to hear them in my car... I thought about posting this elsewhere in the forums but thought I'd start here, if no luck I'll cross post elsewhere.

Cheers, Sean
Old 02-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

Okay, after reading around 40 threads after having read and searched before my last posting, I finally found the answer. For those of you interested look at this thread here

I guess we can't edit posts in these forums...?

Cheers, Sean
Old 02-24-2007, 09:52 AM
'04, 5AT, NBP/Camel, Navi

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Yzerguy
Problem is the TL system ('05 TL Navi) won't play the acoustic tracks... The DVD is labelled DVD-A, but also includes some videos for play on a DVD player. On the insert, the DVD is divided into the "Entire Hits Album in 5.1 Surround Sound" and the "Entire Acoustic Album in 5.1 Surround Sound". It also has Videos on the DVD.

My TL will play tracks 1-14 (the Entire hits part) no probs, in surround, then it will recognize that there is a track number 15 (presumably track 1 of the Entire Acoustic Album), but it will sit there for 3 seconds then move to the next CD loaded into the system.
same problem here!! i haven't tried playing the disc on an ordinary dvd player, though. IMO, the problem is that our HU can't navigate through menus on a DVD, so it just plays the first readable set of tracks.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Racer

Are they arranged in groups? I think there's a way you can change the group it's playing.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew McCarthy
Are they arranged in groups? I think there's a way you can change the group it's playing.
Press the SCAN & REPEAT buttons together until you hear a beep. It will indicate the group # on the display.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Lt. Dangle

Because Sound Matters - UPDATE

Originally Posted by enormus
Interesting link:
For everyone out there complaining of the dearth of DVD-A titles, this may be one way to let at least Warner know there are those of us still interested in hi-res and surround audio. Like the original poster, I encourage everyone to join the list .
Did anyone else get an e-mail from becausesoundmatters.com? Apparently, the site will "soft launch" on May 1. Most of what is mention relates to 180 gram vinyl, but DVD Audio is specifically mentioned. It also references catalog releases from "R.E.M., Metallica, Van Morrison, ZZ Top, Rickie Lee Jones, James Taylor, Fleetwood Mac, the legendary Sire label and more!" I will take what I can get!
Old 04-24-2007, 05:53 AM
Advanced

I have Linkin Park - Reanimation and it is AWESOME!!! I highly reccomend getting it if modern rock/rap is your thing. I ordered it from elusivedisc.com
Old 04-24-2007, 07:57 AM
Pro

Anyone here own the Trapt DVD-A? It is listed as a dualdisc and I wasn't sure exactly what that meant. Amazon lists it as "enhanced," which I read as having some features for a computer. Does anyone know anything about this disc? Thanks
Old 04-24-2007, 11:53 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

I'm not sure if this has been covered but as a DTS release I think Roxy Music's Avalon is superb. The channel separation on this material provides a WOW that most 5.1 material lack.

The disc might be worth the effort to convert to a DVDA to eliminate 1 or 2 pops and clicks the DTS version has. All in all it's a enjoyable disk.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Advanced

I just ordered Linkin Park- Reanimation and Santana- Supernatural from Amazon just to see what all the hype is about. Where do you guys usually buy your discs?
Old 04-29-2007, 05:19 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mpax
Your other option of course is to burn your own DVD-A's. I've done it (thanks to Adobeman) and it works great. I can get 6-8 hours of comedy on 1 disk....great for long trips. And if your adventurous enough, try the Adobimizer to convert to 5.1. You'll need an application to do this for the burn process though.

Also, you can download DVDA (iso files) right from Torrent websites and copy direct to disk.

recommend buying the Beatles Love DTS DVD disk. Worth it.
Queen - Night at the Opera
Pink Floyd - Dark side fo the moon
Pink Floyd - The wall - Remastered
Can you share some websites I can use to download dvd-a music. Also can you tell me what apps I can use to burn to disc. Can I burn my current mp3's to dvd and use it in the car?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Instructor

aix records

After listening to the “The Gift of Music” DVD that came with my RL, I was so impressed by the audio system I decided to order some of the DVD audio discs
offered by AIX records who created “The Gift of Music” DVD for Acura and Bose.

I received seven discs plus a sampler and sound is indeed impressive.
My selections were mostly jazz and some acoustic guitar recordings
and my wife and I listened to three of the DVD’s on our home stereo
which consists of a Yamaha receiver and Polk speakers. (front, center,
subwoofer and rear surround).

I am definitely no audiophile, but it was some of the clearest and crispest
sound I have played on our home system, including some other jazz DVD-Audio
discs.

When I played some of these dics on my RL’s sound system it just blew
me away. I truly felt like I was in the middle of the performance.

If you want some impressive sounding music to really show off your
RL’s sound system you may want to try some of the discs from AIX.
I don’t think you will be disappointed.

They also sound fantastic in my wife's 05 TL!!
Old 04-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ern-money
. . . Can I burn my current mp3's to dvd and use it in the car?

Thanks
See this thread.

tasdisr - They're one of the few independent companies who does multi channel recordings. Mark Waldrep is also a member of this forum. What discs did you purchase? I have several discs and my most listened to is "Guitar Noir" by Laurence Juber. I agree with you that their recordings are excellent and will showcase the car's audio system unfortunately their catalog is not for everyone.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
See this thread.

tasdisr - They're one of the few independent companies who does multi channel recordings. Mark Waldrep is also a member of this forum. What discs did you purchase? I have several discs and my most listened to is "Guitar Noir" by Laurence Juber. I agree with you that their recordings are excellent and will showcase the car's audio system unfortunately their catalog is not for everyone.
I have the following discs

Moonlight Acoustica
Guitar Noir
Vantage Point - Resolution
The Latin Jazz Trio
Calamari
Patrice Rushen
Dorian Michaels - Acoustic Blues

I agree their catalog is not for everyone, but if you like jazz or classical they are definitely worth a look.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Porcupine Tree

Originally Posted by brettallica
As a former musician who loves the sound of killer instrumental and progresive style music, I would love to see more classic metal (Led Zeppelin, early Metallica [pre Black Album] early Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, early Rush, etc)
You should run to your nearest quality online shop* and buy Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" and "Deadwing" DVD-As. Don't confuse them with the CD+DVD-V special editions (but buy them, too). You will also want their latest album, "Fear Of A Blank Planet", when it is released on DVD-A.

The 5.1 mix of "In Absentia" was by someone you might know - Elliot Scheiner.

Those two, along with the two Blue Man Group DVD-As - "Audio" and "The Complex" - have been permanent fixtures in my TL since I got it.

* I recommend (in no specific order) ab-cd.com, The Laser's Edge, syn-phonic and The Artist Shop.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:26 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AJ_Z0
You should run to your nearest quality online shop* and buy Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" and "Deadwing" DVD-As. Don't confuse them with the CD+DVD-V special editions (but buy them, too). You will also want their latest album, "Fear Of A Blank Planet", when it is released on DVD-A.

The 5.1 mix of "In Absentia" was by someone you might know - Elliot Scheiner.

Those two, along with the two Blue Man Group DVD-As - "Audio" and "The Complex" - have been permanent fixtures in my TL since I got it.

* I recommend (in no specific order) ab-cd.com, The Laser's Edge, syn-phonic and The Artist Shop.
+1 on Porcupine Tree! Within the last couple of years they have moved up to my #2 favorite group (Pink Floyd 1). Their music is incredible, and the quality of their recordings and 5.1 mixes are second to none. It's unfortunate that more people aren't familiar with their work.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Intermediate

At the risk of turning this into a Porcupine Tree fan forum...

After my post I collected the mail and got my Porcupine Tree "Stupid Dream" CD/DVD-A special edition and listened to the DVD-A on a drive.

This is one of the band's earlier albums, but the remastered CD and of course the DVD-A sound as good as it gets. As TSC17 says, the quality of the music is matched only by that of the recording and release formats.

The band is currently touring the U.S. of A. and puts one one of the best live shows you're likely to see and hear. See the 02-28-2007 news item for dates.

As I will to the Baltimore show, you can drive to the show in your TL (that is, I'll be driving my TL; you'll have to drive yours). Ok, I'm stretching it.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ern-money
Can you share some websites I can use to download dvd-a music. Also can you tell me what apps I can use to burn to disc. Can I burn my current mp3's to dvd and use it in the car?

Thanks
www.torrentpond.com scans other torrent sites. If you have an 07 you can burn mp3's to a cd and play them. Only an 07, of course I have an 06.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Study

I like classical rock and all but I also do like Opera/classical. Any recommendations?
Old 11-18-2007, 01:10 PM
7th Gear

DVD-As I own:

ELP: Brain Salad Surgery
Deep Purple: Machine Head
Old 01-11-2008, 08:03 PM
2007 TL NAVI

For those that can access newsgroups, there's a sweet DVD-A version of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon out there right now. It comes through as a .iso which you can burn right to a DVD and use in the TL. The sound is awesome -- tremendous use of surround effects!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by enormus
I have quite a few, but am only impressed with a handful:

Good DVD-A discs

Queensryche - Empire
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
Donald Fagen - Morph The Cat
Metallia - Black Album
Talking Heads - Little Creatures

Good CDs that are nothing special on DVD-A

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
Fourplay
Best of REM
Policy - Every Breath You Take

Disappointments

Blue Oyster Cult - A Long Day's Night
Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily

I have Alan Parsons Eye In the Sky HDAD and a Wagner DVD-A coming as well.

Lately I have been ripping concert DVD videos to 6 channel WAVs and burning them as DVD-A discs. Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense is AWESOME. So far I have also done Roy Orbison's A Black and White Night and Peter Gabriel's Growing Up Live.
"Lately I have been ripping concert DVD videos to 6 channel WAVs and burning them as DVD-A discs. Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense is AWESOME. So far I have also done Roy Orbison's A Black and White Night and Peter Gabriel's Growing Up Live."

What software do you use to rip and then burn?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Instructor

Not sure what he used, but DVD-Audio Extractor is one I use, and is perfect for this type of thing!
I've ripped Elton Johns's concerts, Blue Man Group, All Depeche Mode 5.1 dts remasters, ELO in concert, and Van Halen in concert.....

I'll beg to differ on the Brothers in Arms comment about the DVD-A not being special.......your completly wrong in my opinion...one of the best sounding DVD-A's out there, and nice use of surrounds!
The following users liked this post:
hand123 (09-09-2015)
Old 01-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Lt. Dangle

Originally Posted by rickneuropa
Not sure what he used, but DVD-Audio Extractor is one I use, and is perfect for this type of thing!
I've ripped Elton Johns's concerts, Blue Man Group, All Depeche Mode 5.1 dts remasters, ELO in concert, and Van Halen in concert.....
Yup. DVDAudioExtractor works great.

I'll beg to differ on the Brothers in Arms comment about the DVD-A not being special.......your completly wrong in my opinion...one of the best sounding DVD-A's out there, and nice use of surrounds!
Don't get me wrong, Brothers in Arms sounds great, but so did my original CD. Maybe I just prefer the stereo mix.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pg_rider
For those that can access newsgroups, there's a sweet DVD-A version of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon out there right now. It comes through as a .iso which you can burn right to a DVD and use in the TL. The sound is awesome -- tremendous use of surround effects!

might be a dumb question...where is "newsgroups" section?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Newsgroups are basically an old-style message board application. They allow users to post questions and replies. The topics are organized into threads. They were very popular before messageboard software came into being. There is a separate protocol used for newsgroups and separate software programs that allow you to read newsgroups. Newsgroups are still quite popular for finding illegal copies of software, music, and images.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:06 AM
2007 TL NAVI

It's not a part of this forum -- it's a whole different "section" of the internet -- kinda like the way the internet used to be before web browsers came along. Google "usenet" or "newsgroups" and read up. I'll warn you -- its not intuituve to use so best to have a buddy get you up and running.

On a related note, I know this version of Dark Side is all over BitTorrent as well...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:05 AM
3rd Gear

I just acquired a copy of that file...DSOTM It is an iso file. I tried to copy it to a DVD-R to no avail. Maybe the software I used couldn't do the job correctly. Can anyone tell me what program I should use to burn ISO files to make a DVD-A that will play in my TL? Are DVD -R's the best disk to use?
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:29 AM
2007 TL NAVI

Originally Posted by Treasure Hunter
I just acquired a copy of that file...DSOTM It is an iso file. I tried to copy it to a DVD-R to no avail. Maybe the software I used couldn't do the job correctly. Can anyone tell me what program I should use to burn ISO files to make a DVD-A that will play in my TL? Are DVD -R's the best disk to use?
Thanks for the help.
Not sure if I used a -R or a +R disc, but I used a program called ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/) to burn the ISO file to the disc. Worked the first time... Let me look later to see what kind of disc I used.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 AM
3rd Gear

Thumbs up

Not sure if I used a -R or a +R disc, but I used a program called ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/) to burn the ISO file to the disc. Worked the first time... Let me look later to see what kind of disc I used.
I just got it to work. I used Cirlinca DVD-Audio Solo. The file burned in a timely fashion, and just played it on my home stereo, and in the TL. Sounds amazing in the car. Didn't have time to listen to the disk, so I will be playing it on my next drive! BTW, I burned onto a DVD -R. Thanks for the help. Now I have to go find some more music!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:39 AM
2007 TL NAVI

Originally Posted by Treasure Hunter
I just got it to work. I used Cirlinca DVD-Audio Solo. The file burned in a timely fashion, and just played it on my home stereo, and in the TL. Sounds amazing in the car. Didn't have time to listen to the disk, so I will be playing it on my next drive! BTW, I burned onto a DVD -R. Thanks for the help. Now I have to go find some more music!
The Eagles' new 2-disc DVDA set was floating around on the intrawebs a while back if you can find it -- sounded amazing in the car, but I just couldn't get into the actual songs (and I'm a HUGE Eagles fan)...
Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
3rd Gear

The Eagles' new 2-disc DVDA set was floating around on the intrawebs a while back if you can find it -- sounded amazing in the car, but I just couldn't get into the actual songs (and I'm a HUGE Eagles fan)...
Any particular newsgroups you can recommend? Not having much locating on usenet right now...probably not looking in the right group. Thanks for any help...if I find anything, I'll let you know.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:05 PM
2007 TL NAVI

a.b.dvd.music

Look at the Rolling Stones entry for an example:
http://www.binsearch.info/?q=dvda&ma...age=21&server=
Old 12-01-2009, 07:37 PM
10th Gear

Procupine Tree - in absentia has been a popular DVDA. I have a like new disc for sale on E-bay. Great Surround but I don't care for the music. Getting old I guess.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT
Old 12-15-2009, 06:51 PM
10th Gear

Did not sell the first time. Lowered the starting bid to $4.99. Bidding ends in a day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Porcupine-Tree-i...item3a55b51cbd
Old 01-25-2010, 04:18 AM
10th Gear

Is it possible to play DVD video, and display it on the navi screen... obviously while parked?