DST Issue Service News Article from HONDA

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
BTW, do non-Navi TLs adjust the time automatically, or does the driver have to do it?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by brunchboy
Whatever it takes them to do it, I'd certainly appreciate some public statement that they are working on it, and an estimate of when it will be available.
I agree. I just want to know if they're working on it and when I should expect a patch/fix tol be available.
I also would like to know if Acura is NOT planning to fix this, since not enough people care about this. THis would be a shame, on such a hi-tech car.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:19 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by pilozm
I agree. I just want to know if they're working on it and when I should expect a patch/fix tol be available.
I also would like to know if Acura is NOT planning to fix this, since not enough people care about this. THis would be a shame, on such a hi-tech car.

I reached my service writer at the dealer this afternoon. As patch is being worked on. Not sure when it will be ready.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brunchboy
These analogies to cell phones are misleading. Cell phone signals are short range, and come from local towers, so the transmitter and receiver are in the same time zone. The cell network therefore tells your phone the local time, and the phone doesn't need to know anything about time zones.

GPS is fundamentally different. The constellation of GPS satellites (there are about a dozen) are each extremely accurate clocks which are continually broadcasting a time signal as they orbit the earth. Since they pass over the entire planet, this time signal is not local, and must share a standard global time reference, known as Coordinated Universal Time. The GPS receiver unit picks up the signals from all visible satellites, and by solving a bunch of simultaneous equations is able to deduce the precise current time, as well as the distance to each satellite, given how long it takes the radio signal to reach it travelling at the speed of light. That's how it figures out where you are. (Also notice that the TL navigation system is a pure receiver; the GPS satellites don't know where any receivers are, they just keep on telling the world what time they think it is. A common misconception is that GPS receiver units somehow communicate back to the satellites.)

Of course, the GPS notion of the current time is only valid for the strip of the globe that includes the Greenwich Naval Observatory in London (and only when British Summer Time is not in effect). All calculations to display the current local time have to be made by the software in the navigation system, based on its knowledge of your current location, and tables of rules about where the time zones boundaries occur geographically, and when in the calendar changes like Daylight Saving Time adjustments occur.

Those tables became out of date this year because of a law passed in 2005, and need to be updated for the system to be correct. We are looking for Acura or Alpine to produce updated tables and provide us a mechanism for getting them installed in our cars.

(As an aside, even phones can need an update if, like my Palm Treo, they have a calendaring system that needs to be accurate even as you travel to different time zones. Palm released an update months ago so I was able to install it before it was needed. Acura, please catch up soon!)
thanks for clarifying that.

I'm just surprised that the 2007 models (like my TL) didn't get the software change. Maybe a d/l feature on future models using OnStar or something else would help. Of course, there could be security issues.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I reached my service writer at the dealer this afternoon. As patch is being worked on. Not sure when it will be ready.
It would have been great if they could d/l it to us (something for Honda/Acura to think about when designing the next gen TL).
Old 03-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Mr. Flibble is very cross

From what I've seen and read about the Alpine system, I suspect that the only way for them to fix this would be to give users a new Nav DVD with updated software. I doubt that the hardware itself is much more than an application-specific motherboard with integrated GPS receiver section -- all of the algorithms that tell the system about things like time zones and DST are in the system software that's loaded from the DVD and not on a flashable EEPROM in the nav box.

If this is true, then good luck getting Honda to give free DVDs to everyone with a nav system. I wouldn't be surprised if they WERE aware of the situation earlier, realized what the fix was going to cost them because of their system architecture, and decided to play dumb and hope it would mostly blow over. I guess we'll see...
Old 03-13-2007, 08:48 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
^^^ They probably won't give us a new Navi DVD. The dealer will have one with just the patch on it and load it themselves. Just to be safe, I won't buy the new Nav DVD until after the patch comes out.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:08 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by dampfnudel
On Sunday morning, my cell phone showed the correct time, so I though just like my cell phone, my TL would receive the correct time when I started her up. I was a little disappointed that I had to manually fix it myself. I didn't realize that the time was generated by the vehicle internally, instead of receiving a time update signal via the GPS. It's not that bad, but it's something that should have been addressed by Acura.
Boy there is a lot of bad information on thread.

A Cell Phone and you TL receive the time infomation in completely different ways.

You cell phone receives in time information from a local Cell tower. Each cell tower is set to it's local time. Therefore you cell phone is set to local time.

Your TL (and EVERY OTHER GPS System) receives it time from the GPS satelllites in orbit around the earth. EVERY GPS recieve the EXACT SAME TIME. GPS time is sent out as UTC time. The receiver/software then adjust the clock to local time based upon a set of rules. The rules are based on your current location (time zone) and current date (DST on or off). These rules are hard coded and can only be changed with a software patch.

The problem is how do implement a patch in a computer that has no easy upgrade path? Unlike our computers, our TL's are not connected to Internet and can not download a patch automatically.

The software (at least partially) is loaded directly off the Navigation DVD. To patch the software would require issuing EVERYONE new Navigation DVDs. Could Acura/Honda do this. Yes. Is the cost worth it, that is up to Acura/Honda.

(Note: Another option would be to issue a patch cd without the Navigation infomration. However, that would require a little trickery to load and would disappear if the software was every reloaded from the original DVD. This certainly would not be a fix to hand over to the end user.)
Old 03-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Racer

^^^ They probably won't give us a new Navi DVD. The dealer will have one with just the patch on it and load it themselves. Just to be safe, I won't buy the new Nav DVD until after the patch comes out.
There won't be any conflicts when they insert our original Navi DVD back in ? Something tells me they're not sure what they should do since they didn't come up with something before the new DST rule came into effect.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Racer

Question

Does anyone know when Honda/Acura plan to release the patch for DST? Or are they going to wait until the fall?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:18 PM
8th Gear

I called recently and the response I got was that it was planned for this to be a manual thing from this point on.

I really hope they fix this. If the car is supposed to adjust the time and I paid for it then I want it to work.

It'll be little things like this that will drive me nuts.

I can hear my friend now... Lexus isn't Toyota but Acura is Honda. UGH!
Old 04-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Advanced

My '07 TL-S w/navi says you have to take it into the dealer to update/change. Got the impression you could update yourself w/non-navi but need a dealer to change navi. I thought if I waited to 'regular' pre-time changes, it would change on its own, altough late, but maybe not.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Ev an' Tec

FYI...
Today (Sunday 4-1-2007) was the day DST would have started based on the OLD rules.

I'd mistakenly thought it would have been 3-25, going by the 'last weekend in March' rule (though I guess that would have really been today). So sometime last week, I figured that the old-rule and new-rule were in sync again, so I set my car to go back to Auto-DST. Nothing happened then.

Tonight, I just went into the car (for the 1st time today), and the clock blipped forward from 1150pm to 1250am. (It said 1150, then a few seconds later it showed 1250). So I realized the auto-DST kicked in, thinking today was the day to push the clock forward and hour.

I went to the setup screen 4, selected TimeZone etc, and pressed the (-) key next to the hour button. Calendar shows it's still 4-1 and clock shows it's 1152. OK now.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by evantec
FYI...
Today (Sunday 4-1-2007) was the day DST would have started based on the OLD rules.

I'd mistakenly thought it would have been 3-25, going by the 'last weekend in March' rule (though I guess that would have really been today). So sometime last week, I figured that the old-rule and new-rule were in sync again, so I set my car to go back to Auto-DST. Nothing happened then.
The last Sunday in March is when most European countries set their clocks ahead. Are you perchance thinking of the older rule in the US where we set them ahead on the last Sunday in April? That was the rule prior to 1986.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dswalins
I called recently and the response I got was that it was planned for this to be a manual thing from this point on.

I really hope they fix this. If the car is supposed to adjust the time and I paid for it then I want it to work.

It'll be little things like this that will drive me nuts.

I can hear my friend now... Lexus isn't Toyota but Acura is Honda. UGH!
Did you call Acura Customer Care or your dealership?

I can't believe Honda/Acura is going to just switch to manual mode as a permanent fix for DST when other car makers have been able to patch their systems.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since the Navi units get the time from the satellites, wouldn't it make sense to re-program the satellites and then turn DST off on the Navi unit? That way it would always be correct since the Satellite knows where you are, what time zone you're in, and if that zone recognizes DST.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:33 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
This manual change the time stuff on a car with NAVI is complete IMO. Its about as useful as a visit from our friend Mr. Hanky...the Christmas Poo.
Santa Pooh?!
Old 04-03-2007, 12:20 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jzacuto
Since the Navi units get the time from the satellites, wouldn't it make sense to re-program the satellites and then turn DST off on the Navi unit? That way it would always be correct since the Satellite knows where you are, what time zone you're in, and if that zone recognizes DST.
That makes sense to me. But when the DST got an early start this year, I just cut my auto-DST off and I do it myself now. To save from having to do it twice until the powers that be, well, friggin' BE!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:59 AM

I don't believe that's accurate. The Navi gets your location from the satellite and uses its own software to calculate the current time; it also applies any local DST rules (Arizona and Saskatchewan don't observe it, for example, although the rest of their "time zones" do). The satellite doesn't handle any of that stuff. It's why a software patch on the Navi is needed for this to be resolved. Also, it's not yet clear whether Congress might change the law back to the previous schedule. I doubt that would happen for 2008, but it could happen in 2009 if they decide that more energy is used under the new system.

I have to say, all the complaining on this forum makes me wonder what all these posters do with the clocks and watches in their homes, since it's obviously a huge burden to do this. (Changing the TL clock manually is certainly easier than changing many home clocks that require you to turn a knob, or than changing some alarm clocks that only let you advance the time forwards such that in the fall you have to go around for 23 hours....)
Old 04-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Burning Brakes

GPS satellites don't send down personalized time to each user. Since your receiver is just that a receiver it does not send your location back to the gps satellites. The satellites since out ONE time to all receivers called UTC time. You receiver then does an offset to calculate your local time. There is no need to the US Department of Defense to reprogram their satellites.

This has been talked about an previous DST threads before this time change even happened (weeks ago). I don't know why were are rehashing all these same topics in yet another thread. The mods have been closing all these, but I'm not sure why this one continues to run
Old 04-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Registered P.I.M.P

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
I have to say, all the complaining on this forum makes me wonder what all these posters do with the clocks and watches in their homes, since it's obviously a huge burden to do this. (Changing the TL clock manually is certainly easier than changing many home clocks that require you to turn a knob, or than changing some alarm clocks that only let you advance the time forwards such that in the fall you have to go around for 23 hours....)
Same thing I was thinking. Check post 14. This is the first car I've ever owned that did any sort of DST time change. Every other car I did myself manually and it wasn't a big deal for me.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Knockz
Same thing I was thinking. Check post 14. This is the first car I've ever owned that did any sort of DST time change. Every other car I did myself manually and it wasn't a big deal for me.
Maybe some of our posters should try using Frenh Republican Time. This time system had a calendar with 12 months of 30 days each and an extra five days (six in leap year) added after the 12th month. Each month was divided into three décades of 10 days each. Each day consisted of ten hours, each hour of 100 minutes, and each minute of 100 seconds.

As I type this sentence, the current date is 13 Germinal CCXXV (Tridi, Décade 2) and the current time is 04:55:70 (it is 10:56 AM EDT). Note the "70 seconds" in that last sentence. It could be 04:75:90 under this clock. Now imagine trying to graft DST onto all of this! (I have no idea whether the conversion software I used accounts for DST. I rather doubt it.)

Here's a clock. The inner band shows the French hours and the outer band shows the traditional hours. I'd love to have one of these for my office as a conversation piece, but I don't want to spend $10,000 at an antique store!

Bottom line: Fixing the TL's clock is EASY compared to some of the alternatives!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
As I type this sentence, the current date is 13 Germinal CCXXV (Tridi, Décade 2)....
CCXV, not CCXXV. (Why can't we edit our bloody posts???!!!!)
Old 04-03-2007, 12:14 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
The new DVD version 4.56 has the fix for DST. I ordered the new version earlier this week.
https://store.alpine-usa.com/Acuradv.../naviorder.php

10. The navi is not switching Daylight Savings Time correctly anymore (in March/November), or the navi is still switching the time using the old April/October daylight savings schedule. What's wrong?

The daylight Savings schedule is stored in the navi. A new software version can be loaded by your dealer to change the navi's old Daylight Savings Time schedule to the new March/November schedule. With the new version, make sure to set your "Auto Daylight" setting to "ON" in the Setup "Clock Adjustment" screen. Note: DVD versions 4.56 or later already include the new daylight savings schedule.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:57 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
i wonder if i could request the latest navi cd as a fix for the DST issue
Old 04-03-2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by dj5
The new DVD version 4.56 has the fix for DST. I ordered the new version earlier this week.
https://store.alpine-usa.com/Acuradv.../naviorder.php

10. The navi is not switching Daylight Savings Time correctly anymore (in March/November), or the navi is still switching the time using the old April/October daylight savings schedule. What's wrong?

The daylight Savings schedule is stored in the navi. A new software version can be loaded by your dealer to change the navi's old Daylight Savings Time schedule to the new March/November schedule. With the new version, make sure to set your "Auto Daylight" setting to "ON" in the Setup "Clock Adjustment" screen. Note: DVD versions 4.56 or later already include the new daylight savings schedule.
People reading this should note that Version 4.56 applies only to the 2007 TL. When you go to the site above, you have to enter the year and model of your TL. The 2007 uses the white DVD, which does not work in the 2004 to 2006 TLs, all of which require the orange DVD (currently Version 3.60).

If anyone spends $185 based solely on the DST issue, I think they're nuts. I may upgrade the DVD due to substantially improved coverage in some places I travel to, but just for the DST thing would be dumb, and from their site it appears that the orange DVD does not include a DST fix.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Cruisin'

I just spoke to my dealer today. "A patch is being developed" was all I got. No timing, no implementation instructions, nada.

This is controlled by software. It is my understanding that the DVD contains the software based on threads I have read about hacking the DVD to get it to skip the splash screen (text warning you...). So I'm expecting them to put it on the next version of the DVD and ask us to pay for it. BAD idea.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:42 PM
10th Gear

Is there any other benefit to upgrading to 4.56 from 4.55A?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:21 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Rabney
I just spoke to my dealer today. "A patch is being developed" was all I got. No timing, no implementation instructions, nada.

This is controlled by software. It is my understanding that the DVD contains the software based on threads I have read about hacking the DVD to get it to skip the splash screen (text warning you...). So I'm expecting them to put it on the next version of the DVD and ask us to pay for it. BAD idea.
I'm wondering if this is something that's actually covered by the warranty. After all, if I read the manual (which I did the other day) for my 2006, it says quite clearly that the clock with "automatically adjust for timezone changes". Well, it doesn't as we all know given the DST changes. As someone else pointed out, this was known as far back as 2005 so Acura cannot claim that this was a surprise.

Therefore, this is an issue that would fall under a warranty issue. i.e., the car and systems are not behaving as designed. Should Acura want people to pay for the DVD upgrade to fix the problem, then you should be able to claim that this is a warranty repair item.

Now the real problem comes for all of us with the DVD nag fix....someone will have to post another nag removal for the new disc!
Old 04-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Mr. Flibble is very cross

Originally Posted by msingh
...After all, if I read the manual (which I did the other day) for my 2006, it says quite clearly that the clock with "automatically adjust for timezone changes". Well, it doesn't as we all know given the DST changes.
But did you read the EULA for the NAVI software (I haven't yet )? There's probably something in there that lets them off the hook for this.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:48 AM
Racer

Exclamation 2007 DST Fixed in latest 4.56 DVD (White Disk)

I am not sure if this is the Honda/Acura's patch they are working on to resolve the DST issue among other issue listed in the thread below.

https://acurazine.com/forums/religion-politics-18/wheres-cheney-156464/

No DVD updates to the earlier than 2007 model year TLs.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Racer

So did Honda/Acura develop a fix for the daylight savings time change?
Old 10-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Cruisin'

Patch in the works?

I had to call the 800 customer service for another problem and asked about the DST issue. The cc rep said they are working on a fix and it would be free. Really? You can be sure I wrote down her name and the date we spoke. No info on when it should be available. She said Alpine was including other bug fixes too.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Cruisin'

Customer Care and my dealer both told me today that the new Navi DVD would be available November 4, barring surprise delays.

There is a cost for the DVD.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Customer Care and my dealer both told me today that the new Navi DVD would be available November 4, barring surprise delays.

There is a cost for the DVD.
So are they now saying that the fix is incorporated into the new DVD release and that we will have to pay the $200 to get it?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by AMIC
So are they now saying that the fix is incorporated into the new DVD release and that we will have to pay the $200 to get it?

Apparently, yes. I avoided the $ as Acura is apeasing me on another service issue and wanted to give that to me for free.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Apparently, yes. I avoided the $ as Acura is apeasing me on another service issue and wanted to give that to me for free.
That pretty much sucks. They should update this for free.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

When I talked to Acura Customer Service last summer, I was told there would be a patch coming out this fall to correct the DST issue. I went by the dealer today and they had no patch or knowledge of one. They checked with California and were told that a patch WAS coming -- BUT -- it does not fix the DST issue, it just turns off the feature. According to them (and this was the Service Manager talking to the technical guys, not just a phone rep), Acura isn't rushing to change the DST logic. They are concerned that Congress will change the DST dates again which would force further changes & associated cost. I asked what was happening on the 2008 TL's and was told they, likewise, to not have a "fixed" DST and just have the function turned off.

If anyone with a 2008 has had different experience, or if someone gets an update that truly fixes the problem, I'l love to know. But, after Nov 2, you won't know if an update truly works until next spring.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
There's much more going on in the world or my life to worry about then the extra minute it takes take change my clock. .

Glad you found time to post on acurazine. If you are not interested in DST that works like its suppose to, then don't post in this thread.