Droid Mount for New TL Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 02:03 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Droid Mount for New TL Owner

New owner of a 2007 CBP TL (no-navi) 45K miles. Have been looking around the forum for the past week, but having problems finding much good info about android phones.

What kind of setups do other droid owners have?

Since i don't have the navigation, I would like to have a nice clean setup so i can use my phone when needed. So far my idea is to go with the Proclip angle mount

http://tinyurl.com/6rqadcc

and either the plain droid razr maxx tilt swivel, or the one with the straight power cord for fixed installation.

http://tinyurl.com/84p6f2e

Then run an aux cord from the port in the lower arm rest to somewhere on the dash so i can still play music or steam pandora.

Thought, Comments, Ideas? Thanks.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
Your car has bluetooth, doesn't it? Sync your numbers and contacts with the TL and you won't have any need to fiddle with your phone to call people while you're on the go.

You could probably run the aux cable through the center compartment and place your phone/mp3 player above the cup holders. I rarely use my cup holders so that area stays closed most of the time.

Also, great choice in color!
Old 03-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
I highly recommend these, their great, adjustabale (just incase you get a case for your phone). It rotates and it's a lot cheaper. I bought it thinking if I wasn't going to use it, then I would buy the proclip, but it turns out I like it, best of all it's cheap! Or invest the money and move out of baltimore city!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I have an iPhone but here is what I do in my MDX and TL. I'd do the same with an android phone.

I wanted to be able to see the phone screen up close because I also use it as a GPS and wanted to be able to easily reach the siri button. Also it gets better GPS reception near the windows.

So I got the plastic disc with 3M adhesive foam that stick to the dash and a holder and can rotate/tilt the phone to put it perfectly square to my line of sight just to the right of the steering wheel. It's connected to an ipod adapter so I can change songs from the steering wheels controls and it auto-stops the music when I get a call.

I just wish my phone dock/holder was integrated with the connector so I did not have to manually connect the Apple cable every time but I'm so used to it now that it only adds 3 seconds to getting into/out of the car.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:21 PM
9th Gear

Update:
After doing a little more research, i found the
New Potato TuneLink for Android New Potato TuneLink for Android
and purchased one. I am plan to put it in the power outlet in the glovebox and run the aux cable to it. This would allow me to link my phone to the aux input via bluetooth.

Then i am going to rock the standard pro clip for my phone. Since i have the razr maxx, thinking i wont have to charge the phone that often.

Only thing i am worried about is if my phone will connect to the car (HLF) and TuneLink at the same time. Guess i'll find out in a couple days.

I'll post an update later in the week.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:30 PM
BrownBuck

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
man that's some expensive stuff...wonder if there are good cheaper options

Originally Posted by A_Mac
Update:
After doing a little more research, i found the New Potato TuneLink for Android and purchased one. I am plan to put it in the power outlet in the glovebox and run the aux cable to it. This would allow me to link my phone to the aux input via bluetooth.

Then i am going to rock the standard pro clip for my phone. Since i have the razr maxx, thinking i wont have to charge the phone that often.

Only thing i am worried about is if my phone will connect to the car (HLF) and TuneLink at the same time. Guess i'll find out in a couple days.

I'll post an update later in the week.

Thanks for the ideas.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...1#post13658245

This thread might be somewhat helpful to you

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-27-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
The following users liked this post:
A_Mac (03-29-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 12:56 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by A_Mac
So far my idea is to go with the Proclip angle mount
I went with the Proclip Center Mount on my '08. It's up high where I can see it without taking my eyes off the road. The phone & GPS gets great reception up there. I took a USB cable that was flat and thin and ran it under the garnish trim molding to the arm rest console. Proclip is a quality product, I've had it for 3 years no trouble.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 AM
9th Gear

I received my New Potato on Tuesday. Yeah, it was a little expensive, but it actually works great. Here is a pic of my center console:

Literally took 3 seconds to install. It works pretty seamlessly with HFL. I can have both connected to my phone via bluetooth. I have been streaming music through Pandora on my commute and the music will pause when I either make a call or get an incoming call.

That open port in the picture is USB incase anyone was wondering.