DOMs Unit and lines on screen help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
DOMs Unit and lines on screen help

Ok i thought i saw a thread about this problem a while ago but i cant seem to find it so ill just ask the question.

I installed the DOMs unit to my navigation system and when i have my iphone displaying or any video displaying on my screen the video shows and when the car is stationary for the most part the screen is clear, however when i start to drive i see horizontal lines moving up and down my screen. WHen i accelerate and sometimes when i hit a bump i will see the lines, when im just cruising i dont see them as much and when stopped if the car isnt vibrating from a cold start it will work fine. Can anyone help me out with this.

Im thinking it might be the grounding of the cables, not sure though. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
try hooking up a dvd player to the video out. see if you get the lines. if you do then check the grounds. if no lines appear then its the iphone cable. good luck, hope this helps
Old 12-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Mistuh DRiiVA

its possible that the iphone cable might be the issue? when i hooked the iphone cable up to the tv it worked fine. I did hook the wii up to my DOMs unit as well but i cannot remember if there were lines or not. Im going to try it again. I dont think there were any lines. Ill try this out this weekend.

If it is the ipod cable, which is an original cable from apple, how would i fix that?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:30 AM
TL owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the same issue but never got any feedback about it. there not very noticeable but if you know there on the screen it can be annoying.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what the condition of alternator and battery on your vehicle...and where did you pull power and ground?

-Jason
Old 12-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
it's electrical interference. First try using shielded cords from the IPOD to dom's, and see if that eliminates the issue. If not, then it's something to do with the wiring for doms. Check your wiring and grounds, be sure that it's metal to metal and not metal to paint contact.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this problem once and found out that my Dom's unit had fallen from where I had it installed so it was moving around freely as I drove. I had moved were I had it placed and its bolted pretty good now. I used Industrial strength velcro to mount it in the trunk. So check your unit and make sure its mounted pretty tight and not moving around
Old 12-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
what the condition of alternator and battery on your vehicle...and where did you pull power and ground?

-Jason
The alternator and battery on the car are fairly new actually. Both were replaced last year. i took power from the 12 volt accesories source near the shifter and grounded everything in the trunk.

Originally Posted by csmeance
it's electrical interference. First try using shielded cords from the IPOD to dom's, and see if that eliminates the issue. If not, then it's something to do with the wiring for doms. Check your wiring and grounds, be sure that it's metal to metal and not metal to paint contact.
im going to check the wiring where i grounded the unit. it might be that it was grounded where there is paint. Im going to move where i grounded it tommorow and check to see if this was the issue.

Originally Posted by rman402
I had this problem once and found out that my Dom's unit had fallen from where I had it installed so it was moving around freely as I drove. I had moved were I had it placed and its bolted pretty good now. I used Industrial strength velcro to mount it in the trunk. So check your unit and make sure its mounted pretty tight and not moving around
its possible that this my be the case with me as well. im going to make sure it is secured and test again to see if it solves the problem.