Does the NAV "learn"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the NAV "learn"?

Where I live in Southern California, there are many new housing areas. Consequently, the map for the NAV doesn't have all the streets in the database. There is one street in particular that I travel a lot and when I first drove that street with the TL, the NAV had me out in the middle of nowhere. After driving that street probably over 50 times, I noticed today that there are now little white dots indicating where the street is. I don't ever remember those dots being there before so does the NAV have the ability to learn new streets on the fly? I would be quite impressed if this was the case. Anyone else notice this?

A
Old 09-07-2004, 01:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
No, our Navi won't "learn".

When you drive into those unmapping areas and turns on the feature of showing off-map stuff, those "Bread Crumbs" (sorry, I forgot the real name) will be there.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by anthracura
Where I live in Southern California, there are many new housing areas. Consequently, the map for the NAV doesn't have all the streets in the database. There is one street in particular that I travel a lot and when I first drove that street with the TL, the NAV had me out in the middle of nowhere. After driving that street probably over 50 times, I noticed today that there are now little white dots indicating where the street is. I don't ever remember those dots being there before so does the NAV have the ability to learn new streets on the fly? I would be quite impressed if this was the case. Anyone else notice this?

A
There is a updated disk for the NAVI, disk version 3.30
Old 09-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraVic
There is a updated disk for the NAVI, disk version 3.30
Also, those dots are called 'bread crumbs'. the NAVI 'remembers' streets that have been traveled but not in the database with 'bread crumbs'. They are supposed to help you out on streets that are not mapped.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rets
No, our Navi won't "learn".

When you drive into those unmapping areas and turns on the feature of showing off-map stuff, those "Bread Crumbs" (sorry, I forgot the real name) will be there.
I don't think my `bread crumb' feature is turned on. I live in a new development and my street isn't on the NAV. I'd like to have the bread crumbs turned on so that my street gets mapped out. Anyone know how to turn this feature on?
Old 09-07-2004, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

I just brought mine home this weekend and noticed the same thing on mine. Where we were staying was a new development and wasn't mapped and the "bread crumbs" appeared. Now that I'm home and of course my house is also unmapped but I don't get any "bread crumbs". Why?
Old 09-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Instructor

i don't have a tl yet, but maybe someone can answer this question. my new home is in an new development also. If i press go home, will the nav take me to this location or the go home button is basically useless?
Old 09-08-2004, 09:13 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Breadcrumbs are an option you turn on in one of the Nav Setup screens (I don't remember which one right now, but it isn't called "breadcrumbs").

Breadcrumbs won't appear until you are at least 1/2 mile away from any road that's in the Navi database. The Navi's "road stickyness" may reset the 1/2 mile counter if you come across a road before you hit the 1/5 mile mark.

The breadcrumbs aren't something that the Navi can auto-route to. You can potentially auto-route to where the breadcrumbs start, and follow the breadcrumbs from there.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:25 PM
.:HALCÓN DE LA NOCHE:.

Those "breadcrumbs" are explained on pg. 39 Unverified Routing or pg.45 Track Off-Road Position in the Navigation System Manual.

I also live in a new housing development and most of the streets show up on the map, but some aren't named.

Hope that helps.