DIY: Dom's Pnp W/ Pictures!!! 3G Garage #I-157

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 06:35 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone tried to see if there is a 3 way switch available. I really like DCC's switch although I would require 2 switches if I wanted 2 video sources to my Nav. I was thinking if you had a 3 way switch would you be able to connect both the switch from doms unit as well as the reverse ground. If this works then in the same switch you would be able to control Video source from Navigations Unit, Dom Video1 and Dom Video 2.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:25 PM
Intermediate

Question Heeeeelp!! with PNP Install

Right in the middle of a rearview camera install. Camera all installed, Dom's PNP box all grounded....here comes the problem. Dom's PNP harness has an additional wire going nowhere.

WHere should I be connecting this. Any help much appreciated.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put that on a ground... I just put all my grounds together and then put on factory ground point.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Intermediate

Thanks!

Originally Posted by BigB2k5
Put that on a ground... I just put all my grounds together and then put on factory ground point.
Thanks a ton BigB2k5 ...looks like camera should be up and running shortly
Old 10-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Intermediate

The image is NOT MIRRORED !!

Camera is up and running picture is great with no noise BUT the image is NOT MIRRORED. Ebay Wendy says it can't be the camera as they only sell backup cameras that reverse the images by default. Says the converter or nav unit is re-reversing the image. Have to hookup a TV to the video now to verify is that's true.....
Old 10-31-2006, 03:03 PM
Intermediate

OK hooked up a portable TV direct to the camera before Dom's converter no mirror image there too. Obviously it's the camera's problem, awaiting a reply from eBay Wendy, has anyone else had the same problem? Thanks.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
I don't understand. Why would you want the image to be backwards?

The picture on the Nav screen should be what the camera is actually seeing, right?

If you had an obstacle on the right rear, don't you want it to appear on the screen as right rear?
Old 10-31-2006, 05:11 PM
Racer

I just paid for mine today so expect to get it soon... We shall see...
Old 10-31-2006, 05:16 PM
Intermediate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by BigB2k5
I just paid for mine today so expect to get it soon... We shall see...
Could be a freak case with my camera not behaving as it should. Good luck with yours.

It's very unnerving when your mirror is showing something and the nav screen the exact opposite. Stuff to my left appears on the right hand side of the nav screen. Picture quality is very good though. No word yet from Wendy
Old 11-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Intermediate

OK after a lot of back and forth messages with Wendy with her offering to take it back. The latest is she contacted her vendor and they have advised me to disconnect the Green wire to reverse the image.

BigB2k5 I guess when you get your camera, connect red wire to power (reverse light or fuse box up front), black to ground and leave green open.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:05 AM
DCC
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
netinfiniti,

I don't recall my camera having the green wire option. The new cameras that wendy is selling must have that option now. You're the first that I've heard with this problem. Glad everything is sorted out now though. Also, I don't remember having an extra black wire on the PNP harness but it could be that I just don't remember. Glad everything has worked out for you...hope my DIY helped you out...
Old 11-01-2006, 01:23 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DCC
netinfiniti,

I don't recall my camera having the green wire option. The new cameras that wendy is selling must have that option now. You're the first that I've heard with this problem. Glad everything is sorted out now though. Also, I don't remember having an extra black wire on the PNP harness but it could be that I just don't remember. Glad everything has worked out for you...hope my DIY helped you out...
DCC Can't thank you enough, had your and KennyC's threads printed out and by my side when I was doing the install. The information was invaluable !!!

Apparently, even Wendy was unaware of the green wire which I promptly grounded without any special instructions. After agreeing to replace the camera, she then had her supplier inform her to leave the green wire unconnected.

At a client now, first thing when I pull into the garage tonight (rather this morning) I will disconnect the green from ground and verify. She says that she just tried it with her new camera stock and it works.

Thanks again not just for the Dom PNP install thread but your other useful nuggets scattered all round the forums.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Intermediate

It works !!!

Green wire disconnected - the camera works fine.. what a relief. Thanks for the support guys.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Need 4 Speed...

Glad it works...I will be ordering a camera from Wendy soon.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Intermediate

I was looking at this thread and I notice that you said to unplug the factory wire on the right. But when I tried to do my own install the wire is on the left. The right one had no wires connecting to it on my factory DVD unit. Even when I looked at your pictures your unit looks exactly like mine. There are no wires connecting to the right socket. On mine/your unit there is a smaller set of wires then the 20-pin wires then a blank socket. Am I wrong or should I connect Dom's wire to the empty socket on the right? Refer to the 3rd pic on your 1st post.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:52 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

question, on the PNP harness where the 2 clips plug into your existing navi DVD-rom, where does that extra black wire go? ground? how many wires altogether should be grounded?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
ground.

I'd suggest you reread the first post again and make sure your connections are correct.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:46 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

kk got it, thanks datmrman
Old 08-21-2007, 07:50 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

has anyone ever tried putting in a tv tuner? i jus finished installing mine today..i figured it would look crappy but on the dvd player i got has a built in tuner and then i went out and bought some heavy duty cartv antenna's and now i got regular tv in my car as well and its pretty clear considing the cars moving and picking up signal =) .. im going to take some pics once im fully done with it (have to put the center console, backseat and trunk innings back together) plus its raining out right now and feels lik 40 outside
Old 08-23-2007, 03:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteThaPitbull
has anyone ever tried putting in a tv tuner?
Try searching for threads by vandido626.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:11 AM
Banned

My DVD NAVI only has one 20Pin Connection

Hey guys, i have been floating in the background for awhile and i am impressed on the amount of team work you guys display.

I have an issue with the DVD NAVI. I am only seeing 1 connection that has the 20 pin. If im reading right there are 2 and we are to remove the one on the right and replace it with DOMs and insert the one pulled out into the 20 pin harness from Doms.

Am i reading this wrong? here is the back of mine. Also putting in the cam, media gate, making a fiberglass enclosure for a 10" rf p3s running a 300.1 mono rf amp sould do the trick. here are a few pics, i was going to show you all when its done, have a few more stages,

Also runninf a laptio w video switch from doms video outoput w a scan conv,

neway, im into this kinda thing since i was knee high

BTW i have a 05 TL.

thanks, patrick
Old 04-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Racer

FYI...for all you NEWBS to backup cameras...

Don't hook a constant power supply to the camera. Make sure you use the positive wire from one of the reverse lights. This way the camera is only on when you are in reverse. If the camera is on when you are driving then it can and probably will build up moisture from the circuit in the camera. I just had to send a camera back due to this. Use that method or put a toggle switch on it if you are interested in watching the people behind you when you drive! lol.

I just ordered my smoked chrome piece from a 07 TL Type S that has the notch cut out for the camera already. I will take pics when it arrives.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:01 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by izmyttz
If the camera is on when you are driving then it can and probably will build up moisture from the circuit in the camera. I just had to send a camera back due to this. Use that method or put a toggle switch on it if you are interested in watching the people behind you when you drive! lol.
But aren't you supposed to seal the camera with silicone when you receive it? I read that you are supposed to put clear silicone all around. I think that is in the photos at the start of this thread. Plus, now lots of people are putting a toggle switch so they can use this while driving if they want. I guess that toggling doesn't require constant power, right?

I just ordered my smoked chrome piece from a 07 TL Type S that has the notch cut out for the camera already. I will take pics when it arrives.
Cutting out a step is a good idea, even if it's an easy step. Do you happen to have the part number for this???

I need help from someone who can tell me how to do the wiring on this camera. I want to have a toggle switch to on/off this thing AND I want it to be plugged to the reverse lights. (I guess I'll spit the power onto the reverse lights and run the other wire up to the front of the car to a toggle switch. But where do I get power for the toggle?) Any help will be greatly appreciated. Also where do I run a wire around the car to get back up to the fuse box area?

Patrick, I cannot understand what you are talking about. Too much cell phone short speak...!
Old 04-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xen-cuts
But aren't you supposed to seal the camera with silicone when you receive it? I read that you are supposed to put clear silicone all around. I think that is in the photos at the start of this thread. Plus, now lots of people are putting a toggle switch so they can use this while driving if they want. I guess that toggling doesn't require constant power, right?

Cutting out a step is a good idea, even if it's an easy step. Do you happen to have the part number for this???

I need help from someone who can tell me how to do the wiring on this camera. I want to have a toggle switch to on/off this thing AND I want it to be plugged to the reverse lights. (I guess I'll spit the power onto the reverse lights and run the other wire up to the front of the car to a toggle switch. But where do I get power for the toggle?) Any help will be greatly appreciated. Also where do I run a wire around the car to get back up to the fuse box area?

Patrick, I cannot understand what you are talking about. Too much cell phone short speak...!
Xen-Cuts
Sorry was real late last, it looks like the same issue that Mo-Pho is having. Per the instructions in the post. We are to remove the factory 20 pin connector from the far right port. Well i dont have any connector plugged in that port. it looks to be a 14 pin connector.

Right now i have power and have the toggle in place, working on the back up cam as we speak.

im just stuck on the factory plug on the far right port.

any help you could give me would be appreciated

Patrick
Old 04-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Banned

One other thing, i just turned on my car to ACC and the DOM unit is not showing a red light any longer, i am tappped into the cig lighter cable in the console. Any ideas? does it have a fuse in line? im going to check the fuse for the cig lighter too. anyone know where that one is??? im not seeing it in our manual.

thanks
Old 04-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Banned

UPDATE:
I have the unit working now. it was a blown fuse. Thanks, Any help on my other issue would greatly be appreciated.

thanks
Old 04-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Racer

apparently you can't buy just this part..but this guy has a few that came off a wrecked delivery truck.

CLICK HERE FOR EBAY AUCTION

Originally Posted by xen-cuts

Old 04-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Banned

hey guys, im in a bind! is there anyone that can answer my question on the dvd rom not having another plug in the far right bay? it only has one 20 pin connection next to it. so i have doms y adapter plugged into the bay to the right of the far right bay. the faactory plug in the other end of DOMS splitter and the VGA in DOMS unit. No picture. No NAV eaither.

thanks,

here is a picture

Old 04-20-2008, 05:13 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

apparently you can't buy just this part..but this guy has a few that came off a wrecked delivery truck.
Off the back of a truck! Classic!

Who the hell is bidding on this? I don't feel like getting into a competition with an AZiner.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Advanced

hello all. I am new here in the forums. I like the idea of this conversion. can someone kindly help me out with a list of parts needed, and where i can find them. thank you in advance.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:10 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by PeteThaPitbull
has anyone ever tried putting in a tv tuner? i jus finished installing mine today..i figured it would look crappy but on the dvd player i got has a built in tuner and then i went out and bought some heavy duty cartv antenna's and now i got regular tv in my car as well and its pretty clear considing the cars moving and picking up signal =) .. im going to take some pics once im fully done with it (have to put the center console, backseat and trunk innings back together) plus its raining out right now and feels lik 40 outside
what dvd player is this?
Old 04-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Advanced

please help. got both interfaces, wires, add a fuse... ect. but can't find the backup camera. can someone help me with a link or a place that sells the backup cam. tried ebay and no luck all there cams looks big, and for those that are small dont have mounting brackets. a newbie in the need of help thanks in advance
Old 07-24-2008, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

can any one help me aswell i have no connector in my dvd unit aswell what do i do

????????????

its the same as pestrada1978 said there is no plug in that far lower right slot??

pestrada1978 what did you end up doing??? please help,
Old 05-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Need to fix my Bike

I know this is an old thread but I have a question on this topic.

I want to do this mod but wondered if i have to change my back-up cam from the factory unit to work with the nav2dvd unit?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:09 PM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

You already have the backup cam so you do not need to touch that part of the install. Just need to hook up the 20 pin connector and run the wires.

I need to get off my ass and get mine installed.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Instructor

This may be bringing a thread back from the dead, but i was hoping someone could re-post the pictures from the beginning. Apparently the link died.
thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
What pics do u need? I have a few from my install that I never posted. Tell me what you're looking for and I'll see what I got.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Im looking for pictures on how to get to the cig lighter so I can install my remote wire. Im installing an amp and sub and was just looking for pics on how to get to the wire.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Sorry, I never tapped the cig lighter for my install.
From what I understand, you have to take apart the center console a bit to get to it. I can post scans of the service manual, if you'd like.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

Can someone resize these pics?

Quick Reply: DIY: Dom's Pnp W/ Pictures!!! 3G Garage #I-157