Dissasembled 07 Type S Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:32 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rbf351
yes they solder they bulbs down, i've done complete LED's conversions on honda/acura radios, and they are a bitch to do. if you've ever taken apart one of their radios you would know that.

also the interior lights are green not blue. the only blue in these cars are the light around the control knobs, the ambient light, and the gauge cluster.

My mistake - and might I add that's totally retarded! With the caps they just looked like flat LEDs; but with the cap off you can see the dome in the bulb.

Why the hell are they using those
Old 06-13-2007, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmahh
My mistake - and might I add that's totally retarded! With the caps they just looked like flat LEDs; but with the cap off you can see the dome in the bulb.

Why the hell are they using those
2 reasons, bulbs are alot cheaper than LED's. and when they want to change the color, they just add a different color cover. also LED's don't distrubute light very well when it's in a tight area. i did a LED conversion on my old 03 CL-S, and the radio was the hardest to do without having hot spots.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:13 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah but the white LEDs look so much better

Have you thought about doing it on your TL? Hotspots are a pain.. but there are some difused LEDs you can buy that should eliminate it, I did a custom setup on my accord, I roughed up the edges and top w/ a dremel so the light was difused; but I didn't use the right resistor so after about 3 weeks they turned into strobe lights and burned out. I just have bulbs now. I've also seen setups where they flatten the top and paint it so light doesn't make it through.

Very nice job on the conversion in the pic.. Wanna do mine? (... when I get a TL)

psheu.. sorry about changing the thread topic.. you can have it back
Old 06-13-2007, 11:29 AM

Have you thought about doing it on your TL? Hotspots are a pain.. but there are some difused LEDs you can buy that should eliminate it, I did a custom setup on my accord, I roughed up the edges and top w/ a dremel so the light was difused; but I didn't use the right resistor so after about 3 weeks they turned into strobe lights and burned out. I just have bulbs now. I've also seen setups where they flatten the top and paint it so light doesn't make it through.

Very nice job on the conversion in the pic.. Wanna do mine? (... when I get a TL)

i thought about doing it all in blue, the way i got rid of most of the hotspot was by sanding the top of the LED's until they were flat. for the most part it worked.

i also had the same issue of them turning into strobe lights after a few months.

i might actually do it once the car is out of warranty. but first i need to see how much power is going to each bulb. since the LED's can only take 3.2 volts before they crap out
Old 06-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

No problem Timmahh, this thread is dedicated to an open flow of information exchange. It's always a pleasure to learn about the cool things we can all do to our toys Just keep in mind not to be shy about posting some pics, more the better
Old 06-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Psheu, got any plans for your old TL DVD changer?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Psheu, got any plans for your old TL DVD changer?
no plans so far. prob. sell it for few hundred bucks. don't have any plans for it.... and Goooooo Gators
Old 06-14-2007, 02:30 PM
1/20/2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, you're adventurous, scary!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, here is the semi-final pics. I have successfully transfered all the red background lights to my old unit and the blue lights to the new head unit. I took the temp. picture of my temp. setup. I put the original head unit back till I can finish patching the wires to the new units. when i'm done, I'll have connectors for both units operational. The red light of the type S head unit works but i looked kinda nasty reminded me of the pontiac grand prix.... don't like them at all.... I can't wait to have the new head unit in should be done by tomorrow

Old 06-15-2007, 12:26 AM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
nicely done! so are the other switches (ac/temp setting, etc) also red from the type-s? if you're not using that either, id gladly pay for them. please let me know about those red bulb condoms too sir! ill pay for it all.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
^lol

i really hope acura does something about the insane glare on the screen for next year, before they remodel everything....

nice job btw!
Old 06-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by psheu
no plans so far. prob. sell it for few hundred bucks. don't have any plans for it.... and Goooooo Gators
I just need the DVD changer. I plan on seeing if I can take out my 6CD changer for the TL's 6DVD changer. I would like to see if they hook up. Eventually, I know I need to get the TL amp, but that's later down the road.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by XjoEnX
nicely done! so are the other switches (ac/temp setting, etc) also red from the type-s? if you're not using that either, id gladly pay for them. please let me know about those red bulb condoms too sir! ill pay for it all.
yep... after i swapped them i powered up my original unit, and it's in 07 type S red... and I plugged in the new system and it comes up in our original color... so far everything works. power on, HFL, etc. still need some extension testing. after i get home today, i'll see if it'll play MP3 discs.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Bad News with pics....:(

well guys here are some more pics of the new head unit after I power it on. FM/AM/XM/HFL all works fine. However, the new DVD changer is not working right (it didn't spin up) and gave me the message of "Extension" and the display on top of the vent gave me a tiny "D-". I plug the original head unit back in and the DVD discs spins up and works fine. does anyone know what that "Extension" message means? is it a busted DVD changer? or is it problem in my wireing?

Old 06-18-2007, 02:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
just as a heads up for the new HU:
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B07-028.PDF

EXT might mean that the disk is not recongnized. Did you try another disk? Also the HU might have thought that it was switched to a external cd changer... Also one other thing might be that the older navi software does not interface with the radio properly. Also did you get a new amp? the old amp does not have some of the new ones, its worth a try.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:20 AM
Senior Moderator

also i am gettign confused by one thing, DVD changer you refer to as the 6 disk cd changer or the dvd unit in the trunk????? Also all i can see is that the new stuff you installed is the screen, clock display and 6 disk changer correct?
Old 06-18-2007, 04:30 AM

it's not working because the DVD player in your trunk if not from the 2007, the software for the headunit it loaded through there.

if you had the non-navi model it might work
Old 06-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by csmeance
just as a heads up for the new HU:
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B07-028.PDF

EXT might mean that the disk is not recongnized. Did you try another disk? Also the HU might have thought that it was switched to a external cd changer... Also one other thing might be that the older navi software does not interface with the radio properly. Also did you get a new amp? the old amp does not have some of the new ones, its worth a try.
Cool Thanx for the heads up, I'm in the process of getting a 07 DVD navi unit. I'll see if they'll work afterward. I guess that's why the DVD-A changer is not spinning up properly. The only plus side is that I have both connectors in the car now and I'll try the installation again after I install the new DVD navi unit.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Burning Brakes

also i am gettign confused by one thing, DVD changer you refer to as the 6 disk cd changer or the dvd unit in the trunk????? Also all i can see is that the new stuff you installed is the screen, clock display and 6 disk changer correct?
- The clock display is the original one in my car.
- Both of the screens original and new one work flawlessly in my car.
- the only thing I have problem with is the HU's DVD changer unit not working. and gave me the "Extension" message. after I put the original HU, the DVD changer works fine.
- I don't have any trunk mounted cd/dvd changer.
- I do have the original dvd navi unit in the trunk.

when I say original I meant the equipment that came standard in the 04-06 TL w/ navi
Old 06-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Burning Brakes

it's not working because the DVD player in your trunk if not from the 2007, the software for the headunit it loaded through there.

if you had the non-navi model it might work
I C.... that's good to know. at least that decreased the probability of a busted HU.... sigh.... guess I'll need to hunt down a 07 navi DVD unit.... One way or the other, I'm gonna try to make it work. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.... I have no idea that HU and the navi DVD unit have to work in conjunction. I thought that HU worked independently from the DVD navi unit.

on a side note, up to now, i still don't have any idea how to remove the clock/temp display unit w/ the vent. I took the car to the dealer and asked them to remove the trim and the clock/vent unit. I can take apart the rest. do you have any instruction on how to remove that portion? and also the schematic for the auxillary jack pins. thanx again for helping me. I know you've been there since the start. I couldn't have come this far w/o you help. thanx...
Old 06-18-2007, 01:29 PM

on a side note, up to now, i still don't have any idea how to remove the clock/temp display unit w/ the vent. I took the car to the dealer and asked them to remove the trim and the clock/vent unit. I can take apart the rest. do you have any instruction on how to remove that portion? and also the schematic for the auxillary jack pins. thanx again for helping me. I know you've been there since the start. I couldn't have come this far w/o you help. thanx...
you just pull on it, it's only held in by a few clips. when it's pops out, you need to remove 2 harnesses, one for the hazard switch, other is for the display

after that there are 2 or 4 screws that hold the display to the vents

as for the schematics for the Aux connector, it should be the following
5 pin connector (same harness used old honda/acura cruise control harness)

Pin 1 - Aux detection
Pin 2 - ground
Pin 3 - Signal ground
Pin 4 - Left signal
Pin 5 - Right signal
Old 06-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Burning Brakes

you just pull on it, it's only held in by a few clips. when it's pops out, you need to remove 2 harnesses, one for the hazard switch, other is for the display

after that there are 2 or 4 screws that hold the display to the vents

as for the schematics for the Aux connector, it should be the following
5 pin connector (same harness used old honda/acura cruise control harness)

Pin 1 - Aux detection
Pin 2 - ground
Pin 3 - Signal ground
Pin 4 - Left signal
Pin 5 - Right signal
On the end that goes into the HU, there are 6 wires:

pin 30 GRY (AUX SH GND)
pin 31 YEL (AUX L)
pin 32 BRN (AUX S GND)
pin 33 BLU (AUX R)
pin 34 BLU (AUX GND)
pin 35 WHT (AUX DET)

is the AUX SH GND same as AUX GND and AUX S GND? and which one is pin 1 when i have the clip on top?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:44 PM

On the end that goes into the HU, there are 6 wires:

pin 30 GRY (AUX SH GND)
pin 31 YEL (AUX L)
pin 32 BRN (AUX S GND)
pin 33 BLU (AUX R)
pin 34 BLU (AUX GND)
pin 35 WHT (AUX DET)

is the AUX SH GND same as AUX GND and AUX S GND? and which one is pin 1 when i have the clip on top?
AUX SH GRDis just the shield that goes around the other 5 cables. it helps to stop interference. if you don't connect it nothing actually will happen since it never actually connects to the jack.

when the clip is on top pin 1 will be on the left if you are looking into the pin of the harness, and pin 1 would be on the right side of the jack if you are looking at the pins
Old 06-18-2007, 02:51 PM

here is the schematic for the 07's aux jack (same as all honda/acuras) should give you a better idea how it works

Old 06-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=rbf351]here is the schematic for the 07's aux jack (same as all honda/acuras) should give you a better idea how it works

Wow.... rbf351, that's awesome.... how did you get the detail schematic on computer of our cars.... doesn't it come in a thick phone book like service manual? where can I get them? as much as I love to mess with my car, I love to have one of this for reference so I won't have to bother you all the time

Now I get it.... the AUX SH GND and AUX S GND goes into the same wire...
Old 06-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Burning Brakes

on a separate note, if I want to buy the new harness for the new 07 head unit and the display unit (not the home made, wire splicing, wire tapping method) what is the part number I need to get? just out of curiosity

and I notice a heat build up on the left hand side of the HU when I was testing the HU unit. but my original unit doesn't heat up at all. can you explain this phenomenon?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Will missed grounding cause the HU to heat up? the heat up is not that bad at all, it's just mighty warm to the touch...
Old 06-18-2007, 06:48 PM

Wow.... rbf351, that's awesome.... how did you get the detail schematic on computer of our cars.... doesn't it come in a thick phone book like service manual? where can I get them? as much as I love to mess with my car, I love to have one of this for reference so I won't have to bother you all the time

Now I get it.... the AUX SH GND and AUX S GND goes into the same wire...
i have my ways of getting programs but that one is called alldata. honda and acura schematics are on one 9 gig DVD

also the aux sh and aux s ground wires do not hook to each other.

the aux s ground goes to the fro mthe headunit to the jack, and the aux sh wraps around all of the cables, and only connect to the headunit.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
man this all seems like bionic to me...
Old 06-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Burning Brakes

i have my ways of getting programs but that one is called alldata. honda and acura schematics are on one 9 gig DVD

also the aux sh and aux s ground wires do not hook to each other.

the aux s ground goes to the fro mthe headunit to the jack, and the aux sh wraps around all of the cables, and only connect to the headunit.
I see... when I was hooking up one of the wire, i was wondering why the wire was stripped and wrapped around alum. foil No matter now, I'll need to rewire the audio connector again after I get my 07 DVD navi unit.

and where can I purchase this 9 gig DVD of TL bible?

Is there a way to find out what harness is needed if I want to do the 07 HU upgrade? the dealer showed me the harness for the dash board and it cost ~$600 for wires
Old 06-19-2007, 01:53 AM
Senior Moderator

psheu, is it possible to buy those LED covers from somewhere???
Old 06-19-2007, 02:22 AM
Burning Brakes

psheu, is it possible to buy those LED covers from somewhere???
besides get it from another HU, I have no idea where to get them. they're just tiny rubber light bulb cover. i saw someone got some cover for the other leds on other part of the car i.e. security and memory seat light, etc. they might be the people to ask about the light bulb "condom" those covers can completely transform the background lighting. what color are you trying to get?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:56 AM

I see... when I was hooking up one of the wire, i was wondering why the wire was stripped and wrapped around alum. foil No matter now, I'll need to rewire the audio connector again after I get my 07 DVD navi unit.

and where can I purchase this 9 gig DVD of TL bible?

Is there a way to find out what harness is needed if I want to do the 07 HU upgrade? the dealer showed me the harness for the dash board and it cost ~$600 for wires
i'm guessing you can get the program via torrents...

unless you can get a junkyard car a new harness will cost you wahtever the dealer quoted you
Old 06-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Burning Brakes

i'm guessing you can get the program via torrents...

unless you can get a junkyard car a new harness will cost you wahtever the dealer quoted you
But even the dealer have no idea which harness is the one I need. I won't mind paying for the item. but paying for wrong item or item that won't suit what i need is a no no fo me
Old 06-19-2007, 05:00 PM

looks like you need this harness 32117-SEP-A23 which is 522 bucks
Old 06-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

looks like you need this harness 32117-SEP-A23 which is 522 bucks
wow.... that's the main cabin harness.... is it difficult to replace harness?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:27 PM

wow.... that's the main cabin harness.... is it difficult to replace harness?
nothing is difficult, but you need to take the entire front of the car apart
Old 06-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

nothing is difficult, but you need to take the entire front of the car apart
sounds like a lot of work.... I'll stick with what I have and patch the wires
Old 06-20-2007, 04:34 AM

sounds like a lot of work.... I'll stick with what I have and patch the wires

thats the best bet
Old 06-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Team Anthracite

i am thinking, technically, the Radio should work without interfacing with the navi... see if you can disconnect the data signals to and from navi.. Mp3 might work.

Quick Reply: Dissasembled 07 Type S Head Unit