Discwelder

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004 | 09:12 PM
Advanced

Discwelder

I have a question about DW that I could not find by searching other forums. Can you just make a copy of an original DVD-A with this program? (for back up purposes only )

FYI....at my local library I can check out DVD's and CD's for free. If you like to burn like I do, then you know what this means. You have to love the library.

Black Velvet
Old 07-11-2004 | 09:14 PM
Advanced

Also, can you make mixed DVD-A's from several original DVD'A with DW and retain the 5.1?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2004 | 05:53 PM
Advanced

Man, nobody has any help????
Old 07-12-2004 | 08:07 PM
Team Owner

We have help, but we also have jobs.

Making backups of the DVD-Audio portion - no. DVD-Audio encryption has not been cracked like DVD-Video encryption was. The only portion of a DVD-Audio you can work with is the DVD-Video section, and that's just like working with any standard DVD.

If you know what that means, then you know how to demux the streams from the VOBs and split them into tracks, demux the separate channels into monophonic .WAVs, and then make whatever 5.1 mixer you want using Discwelder.

Mike
Old 07-18-2004 | 01:12 AM
Instructor

Another alternative to Discwelder is Wavelab5. If you look on the newsgroups you probably can find it.

Using DVD Decryter (to extract the 6 channel VOB portion only), BeSweet GUI (FREEWARE), and Wavelab5, I can create a DVD-A from any DVD that have 5.1 on it in about 1-2 hours.

Since I can't find these DVD-A, I like the ability to create my own
Old 07-18-2004 | 02:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rmastbro
Another alternative to Discwelder is Wavelab5. If you look on the newsgroups you probably can find it.

Using DVD Decryter (to extract the 6 channel VOB portion only), BeSweet GUI (FREEWARE), and Wavelab5, I can create a DVD-A from any DVD that have 5.1 on it in about 1-2 hours.

Since I can't find these DVD-A, I like the ability to create my own
Would you mind sharing the steps to make this happen? I'm most interested in what options you use in BeSweet GUI (do you save it to a 5.1 wav?) and how you import it into Wavelab5 (from montage set it to DVD-Audio and 6-channel and then just import the wav(s)? Do you do split up the songs using ChapterXtractor or do you just burn the whole thing as one track?

I've been working this and am not having much luck. I think I'm messing up the BeSweet creating of the wav file but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

-Greg
Old 07-18-2004 | 10:15 PM
Instructor

Wavelab

Originally Posted by Greg G
Would you mind sharing the steps to make this happen? I'm most interested in what options you use in BeSweet GUI (do you save it to a 5.1 wav?) and how you import it into Wavelab5 (from montage set it to DVD-Audio and 6-channel and then just import the wav(s)? Do you do split up the songs using ChapterXtractor or do you just burn the whole thing as one track?

I've been working this and am not having much luck. I think I'm messing up the BeSweet creating of the wav file but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

-Greg
1) DVD Decryter: use Mode IFO, Check each chapter (1 at a time) that you want to extract the VOB from (be sure to only select the Audio AC3/6ch from the Streaming Processing, Direct Stream Copy,0xE0).

2) BeSweet GUI: Settting (Substream-Auto, Azid Use AC3 Decoder, Output "Six Waves") and click "VOB to WAV", Force Input Sample Rate 48000.

3) Wavelab: One you have the 6 waves (C,FL,FR,LFE,SR,SL)... Create new Montage, sample rate 48 000, Change mode to DVD-audio and 6 channels, Click "1" on the first track (no fx, 1, Lf : Rf) and select "Add mono track", highlight the 2nd track and right click to "Insert file". I usually select all 6 track the the first song with the shift key. Then Under How to layout the files, select "Place each file on different track", and "Shift existing clips to the right. You will have all six track lined up in a column for the first song. You need to make sure you change the audio dispatching (Audio is sent to and Audio is also sent to) to the correct one that matches your wav file (C,FL,FR,LFE,SR,SL). You now have your first song with all six mono track set. For the 2nd track click your mouse to the right of the 1st song (flashing black line). Make sure you click the first track of the sequence usually #2 and right click the mouse to Insert file ... "Add mono track" and select the next 6 mono wav's desired. After you add this goto DVD-A tab in the montage and under Functions select "DVD Wizard" and select 'Apply'. After this you will notice that in your montage that a gap was placed between the 1st and 2nd track. Keep added tracks under you reach the 4.7GB limit of the DVD. When you are done adding tracks, save montage then click the red circle "Create DVD-audio project" .. you will see another window come up with the number of titles that you added. Click OK at this point. This will launch the DVD-A rendering process which can take up to 15-20 minutes to prepare the data... from there it's pretty much straight forward.....

Let me know if you have any other questions... Hope this brief outline was helpful.. took me about a week to figure it out... but was definitely worth it to be able to make my own DVD-A to be play them in the 04 TL and not have to wait under they are released... I have converting any DTS DVD music that I have... Celine Dion, U2, Cure, Moby, Eagles.......
Old 07-18-2004 | 11:44 PM
Advanced

I don't have the option to choose 6 waves in Azid v1.8, BeSweet GUI v0.7b4 and BeSweet v1.5b29. What versions are you using? Do you have a profile saved that you could share perhaps?

Thanks for your help!

-Greg
Old 07-19-2004 | 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Greg G

-Greg

there are many free utilities out there that will let you rip dvd-a or audio from a dvd movie and retain the 5.1 source in PCM format. you can use this to go directly back into DW.
Old 07-19-2004 | 01:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cvajs
there are many free utilities out there that will let you rip dvd-a or audio from a dvd movie and retain the 5.1 source in PCM format. you can use this to go directly back into DW.
Are you saying that some will pull the audio stream directly from the DVD in 5.1 format? What do you reccomend?

-Greg
Old 07-19-2004 | 08:49 PM
Advanced

Nenvermind. I got DVD Audio Ripper and ripped just the Dolby Digital in PCM format. It broke them up by chapters so each song ended up in its own wav. Then I just imported it into Wavelab (chose DVD Audio and 6 chans as the format. Then burn. It was so easy I'm almost embarased to have worked so hard to figure this out! Thanks cvajs!

-Greg
Old 07-19-2004 | 09:02 PM
Team Anthracite Member

What if you already have DVD A files (downloaded files from a show recorded in 5.1 surround)? Can you just burn these files onto a DVD and you're good to go or do you need to use the programs mentioned above?

By the way the files are not copy right protected just in case your wondering.
Old 07-19-2004 | 10:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by architect55
What if you already have DVD A files (downloaded files from a show recorded in 5.1 surround)? Can you just burn these files onto a DVD and you're good to go or do you need to use the programs mentioned above?

By the way the files are not copy right protected just in case your wondering.
You would be ok but you need to use Discwelder or WaveLab to do the burning.

By the way - it looks like DVD Audio Decrypter does not create all 6 channels do back to the drawing board...

-Greg
Old 07-20-2004 | 06:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Many for DVD-A? I haven't sen any yet, care to share, the DVD-A encryption is different than the DECESS ont he video section and due to the limited audience of DVD-A I have not seen many (or any) DVD-A rip/crack tools yet.
Old 07-20-2004 | 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

I made an ISO copy of one of my DVD-A discs but haven't tried to burn it back down yet. Anyone tried that ?? I assume an ISO bit for bit rip of it would burn down just the same as copying cd's that way.
Old 07-20-2004 | 10:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KeithL
Many for DVD-A? I haven't sen any yet, care to share, the DVD-A encryption is different than the DECESS ont he video section and due to the limited audience of DVD-A I have not seen many (or any) DVD-A rip/crack tools yet.
There is no tool to rip DVD-Audio. There are tools that rip the 5.1 audio from a DVD-Video (and he did specify from a DVD-Video). The theory is that a pretty nice 5.1 DVD-Audio can be made from concert videos and such.

The problem I'm having is finding a tool that keeps all the tracks such that when I select it in Discwelder it shows 6 tracks instead of two. I tried DVD Audio Ripper and even though I selected the 6 channel track the resulting wav file only had 2 tracks.

I did manage to pull 6 tracks out of the VOB using BeSweet. The problem I was having was that I was using the beta release rather than the last stable release. The beta release does not have the "6 wav files" option. Now I just have to figure out how to paste that back into WavLab (I am reading the description above but it is still confusing). I'd prefer to figure out a way to use Discwelder.

-Greg
Old 07-20-2004 | 12:01 PM
Intermediate

After you do all this ripping, can you then use a standard DVD burner to create DVDA's? For example, I want to take some 5.1 concert video DVD's and burn the audio so I can listen in the TL.

(I'm buying a new powermac and trying to decide whether the SuperDrive DVD burner is worth the extra 200$)
Old 07-20-2004 | 12:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by brusie
After you do all this ripping, can you then use a standard DVD burner to create DVDA's? For example, I want to take some 5.1 concert video DVD's and burn the audio so I can listen in the TL.

(I'm buying a new powermac and trying to decide whether the SuperDrive DVD burner is worth the extra 200$)
You can use a standard DVD burner but you need special software like Discwelder or WaveLab to burn DVD-Audio.

The outstanding question in my view is still finding an easy way to rip the 5.1 from the DVD-Video that will result in 6 channels in a format that can be imported into Discwelder.

-Greg
Old 07-22-2004 | 10:50 PM
Advanced

Ok, I finally figured it all out with helps from you guys. The problem I was having was that I had the beta version of BeSweet which did not rip the 5.1 in a way the worked. I learned a few additional things that may be of help to others.

1) Try using SmartRipper to rip the DVD since it has an option to create separate VOBs for each chapter. This separates the songs for you nicely. You can also rip just the audio so the VOB files end up very small. I found it interesting just how small the VOB files without the video.

2) I used the 5.1 Wave selection in BeSweet rather than 6 waves thing because I could not figure out how to get the mon wav files in the right places in WaveLab. WaveLab has an option to "import surround audio file" under "file" in the "files" tab. It takes some time to render but it puts stuff in the right place. Discwelder will be even easier since it should take the file right away.

One of my first DVD purchases was the movie: Pink Floyd The Wall. I am happy to say I can enjoy it in 5.1 in the car now as well! Of course a real DVD-Audio would sound better and I'd buy it if it existed but this will do nicely for now!

I hope this thread helps the next person trying to figure this out. Thanks to all who helped me along the way!

-Greg
Old 07-27-2004 | 09:33 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Burning groups on DVD-audio discs ROCK. I can now put in several different albums per group and sort them that way instead of having to figure out when a particular album starts and when one stops.

Amazing!
Old 08-18-2004 | 01:38 PM
Advanced

I've used Smart Ripper and it works great. Now I have my VOB files ripped, and cannot figured out to work with Besweet Gui ?

I unzip the program in a folder, click on BeSweet GUI v0.6 which is the .exe file. The program opened, and it seems fine. But after all my setting checked, I click on "VOB to WAV" and a new screen open. It seems that it can't find the .exe file ? I select BeSweet GUI v0.6 file in the uncompressed folder, then click on OK and nothing happen. I got the message at the bottom windows: you've picked 'BeSweet GUI v0.6.exe' instead of 'BeSweet.exe'. Where can I fond the proper .exe to make the program work properly ?
Old 08-19-2004 | 04:40 PM
Advanced

It sounds like you only downloaded the GUI. You also need the program file that the GUI acts as a front end to.

-Greg

PS - Don't get the beta version - that did not work for me.
Old 08-30-2004 | 05:22 PM
Intermediate

Is there a cheaper option than forking over 500$ for wavelab? Is there a demo software package somewhere? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2004 | 01:59 PM
Lom
7th Gear

What media have you used to burn your DVD-Audio onto? I tried DVD+RW disk and my TL does not accept it even though the content on the disk is a valid DVD-Audio.
Old 09-08-2004 | 05:45 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I used DVD-R media.
Old 09-11-2004 | 02:53 PM
Advanced

With DVD-RW medi, and by using the Discwelder Bronze at about 100$ US you can burn DVD-A very well.
Old 09-12-2004 | 08:27 PM
7th Gear

Is DW available for Mac? Also, are there other (reasonably priced) options for burning DVD-As on Macs? I'm looking to make DVD-As of original material, recorded using Logic. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2004 | 01:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wanda's tl
Is DW available for Mac? Also, are there other (reasonably priced) options for burning DVD-As on Macs? I'm looking to make DVD-As of original material, recorded using Logic. Thanks.
did you check out the minnetonka website??
http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/
Old 09-16-2004 | 11:16 PM
7th Gear

DiscWelder n other DVD-A authoring software?

did you check out the minnetonka website??
http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/
Thanks, they're PC only, from the look of it.
Peace,
KA
Old 09-17-2004 | 05:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by seaman
With DVD-RW medi, and by using the Discwelder Bronze at about 100$ US you can burn DVD-A very well.
There's a copy for sale in the Black Market forum for around $50...
Old 10-01-2004 | 12:48 AM
Instructor

hey guys, what does the fil end up beings for dvd-a? Like if i created a bunch of ac-3's. would they read in the TL?
Old 10-05-2004 | 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kubrus
hey guys, what does the fil end up beings for dvd-a? Like if i created a bunch of ac-3's. would they read in the TL?
PCM or LPCM, i'm not sure if the TL can decode LPCM or AC3.
Old 11-03-2004 | 02:13 PM
8th Gear

FYI. For whatever reason, I was able to use wavelab5 to create multigroup discs on dvd+r memorex discs using an old Hp dvd burner 2x. I wanted to try it before I went and bought a new burner that would do dvd-r.

Mason