DICE or USA Spec, which should I choose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BK11
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger any minute on the USASpec, anxiously awaiting ttribe's install!
What are you waiting for, it's done! Read the last post here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173302 He installed in a couple of nights ago. Get to ordering! You're going to love it.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:25 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where are the pics of these installs?? You guys know the rules:

Old 01-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by darksom1
Where are the pics of these installs?? You guys know the rules:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172385 This thread has pics of where my ipod is now that the install is done. Sorry I didn't take any pictures when I was doing the install. That was a long time ago and I didn't understand the code of acurazine (take pictures while doing install and post them). I get the feeling darksom that you just wanted to add the this thread is worthless without pics icon...
Old 01-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Instructor

For the record, I just wanted to post another thread that talks about some of the DICE shortfalls for 2007+ TL's (These might be shortfalls on USASPEC also). It seems some things changed on the 2007's that do not allow the DICE to work like it would on a 2006

THREAD LINK
Old 01-24-2008, 09:08 PM
snowmanTL

Where is the best place to get the USApec?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by snowmanTL
Where is the best place to get the USApec?
Originally Posted by ttribe
Well, based on this, I just went and ordered the USA Spec from enfig.com for $109.99 this afternoon. Thanks to everyone for their input, etc. Hopefully, I'll have this in and installed by the weekend...will post an update when it's done.
^^^ www.enfig.com has it for $109.99, that is a great deal.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:49 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fish008
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172385 This thread has pics of where my ipod is now that the install is done. Sorry I didn't take any pictures when I was doing the install. That was a long time ago and I didn't understand the code of acurazine (take pictures while doing install and post them). I get the feeling darksom that you just wanted to add the this thread is worthless without pics icon...
basically...lol...I already have the Dice installed (man was that one connection in the back a MOTHER!!!!)
Old 01-25-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 5,915 Likes on 2,915 Posts
Originally Posted by fish008
What are you waiting for, it's done! Read the last post here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173302 He installed in a couple of nights ago. Get to ordering! You're going to love it.
Okay, I haven’t had the time to post pictures of the final product or anything, but I can post some suggestions, etc. for those considering doing the install of the USA Spec module since I just did mine this last Tuesday night (January 22, 2008).

First, you need a good set of instructions on how to get access to the back of the stereo head unit. Fortunately, we are members of the best forum in the world and those instructions are available. I found a great document that walked me through the process step by step with pictures (many thanks for forum member “BrandonClaps” for putting this together). Here’s the link:

http://home.usadatanet.net/bclaps/TLAuxcableinstall.pdf

A couple of notes about this process:

1) The butter knife wrapped in a rag method works well. However, when I was removing the aluminum piece, I found that the most difficult part came when I reached the last couple of clips at the top. Not easy to remove, and I was VERY paranoid that I would break something. However, with a little effort, they finally popped loose.

2) When you go to make space by loosening the panel below the steering column, I found it best to remove it in its entirety to get it out of the way. There are three electrical hookups on the lower left side (from sitting in the driver’s seat) which need to be unhooked. They’re very easy to remove – each has a little tab on one side that just needs to be pushed in and they pull right out.

3) When you get everything off and finally can see to the back of the head unit, the white connector that is closest to you on the back of the head unit is the one you have to unhook and hook onto the Y-connector that comes with the USA Spec module. Unless you have relatively small hands (like I do), you may need to fashion some type of tool to pop this out and to create enough leverage to plug the new connector into the back of the head unit.

Second, I found the easiest placement solution for the USA Spec module to be under the driver’s seat (like many others here). The cable from the back of the head unit is plenty long to run to this spot and can be easily hidden behind the main console panel (which you will have already removed as part of the process). I then just ran the iPod cable up through the bottom of the arm-rest compartment just like “BrandonClaps” did in his walk-thru above (I used a LeatherMan to cut out a notch in the panel at the bottom for the cable). Once again, the cable is plenty long to run up through here and allow for plenty of play for placement of the iPod.

Third, don’t bother trying to drill or screw the USA Spec module into the floor below the driver’s seat. Get some industrial strength Velcro and it won’t go anywhere.

FYI – You won’t need to do anything special to get the head unit to recognize the presence of the iPod adaptor. It will immediately think you’ve attached a second CD-Changer. As you use the “Mode” button on your steering wheel, you’ll find that you have an additional option after “CD/DVD”; you’ll now see “CD-C”. Just plug in your iPod and you’re ready to go.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:38 PM
snowmanTL

Thanks for taking the time ttribe, i now feel much more comfortable doing this, this is good info!
Old 01-26-2008, 01:14 PM
snowmanTL

Ok I'm leaning toward the Dice system because I don't use XM at all but would like the text option. I think I read earlier in this tread that price is even? The lowest I found the Dice was $144.00. Does anyone know where I can get it cheaper? Or is that the best price going?
Old 01-27-2008, 06:48 AM
10th Gear

Don't do this in the Cold Weather !

Just a word of caution. Don't pry all these parts loose if the interior temp is less than 50-60 degrees. Plastic becomes very brittle at cold temps and you will break off some spring clip tabs for sure. Crank up the heat in the car to hi and let it run blast for 20 mins before you start (depending on where you live of course). In the Northeast and other cold regions this is a must !!

Good luck and be patient.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Pro

I have a couple of thoughts on this install. The first thing you need to do is determine if you think that there is any reason you will need to get to the USASpec module any time after the install. The only reasons that I can think of are changing the switch from direct to playlist mode and connecting some other source (like sirus satellite radio, which wont matter soon) to the unit. If you know which mode you want (direct/playlist) and don't see any future need to plug anything into the USASpec unit your install becomes 10 times easier.

The install is so much easier because you don't take as much of the car apart (less things to break). The only panels that you need to remove are the panel in front of your knees and the panel next to your right knee (both are removed in the other installation too). That’s it. The rest of the install can be done right there. My USASpec module in wrapped in padded tape and is behind the radio in some open room. You only have to remove 8 screws I believe and should take no more than an hour. Just my