DICE or USA Spec, which should I choose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DICE or USA Spec, which should I choose?

2004 TL non-navi. I don't need/want text from the ipod and I want to retain my XM radio.

I was about to pull the trigger on the USA Spec until I heard all the skipping issues. Now, I'm thinking of going with the DICE model.

If this has been talked about to death already, I apologize.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Banned

We're in the same boat. I have a 06 non-navi and I'm trying to figure out which one I should go with. It would be nice to have text, but I'm not sure how beneficial it is given our display can only show so much.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1OneLove
We're in the same boat. I have a 06 non-navi and I'm trying to figure out which one I should go with. It would be nice to have text, but I'm not sure how beneficial it is given our display can only show so much.
With the Silver kit it's an enormous benefit.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:11 PM
10th Gear

Hon2y

I just installed a PA11-HON2y this past weekend. Other than ripping the interior apart installation was pretty easy. I have the new HYBRID model of the HON2y and so far after a few hours of use, No Skipping Issues at all.

I'm using it for my ipod and sirius radio conenction. So far it works great.

Make sure you get the model that supports Hybrid Mode.

BTW, I have an '05 Non-Navi.

Bud
Old 01-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
I have the USA SPEC an have had no skipping issues. If it comes down to price being dead even, I would go with the dice as later on you can upgrade to have IPOD text.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
I have the USA SPEC an have had no skipping issues. If it comes down to price being dead even, I would go with the dice as later on you can upgrade to have IPOD text.
WORD. Definitely DICE.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:16 AM
10th Gear

No XM with Dice !

Not sure if XM is important to you, but it looks like XM is diabled with the Dice unit. When and if Sirius and XM merge, that would be a huge problem for me as I use and external head unit for Sirius now. Eventually I like to get rid of the external and use the built-in XM to get the merged XM/Sirius satellite service.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Needs wheels

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
XM is only disabled if you use the text mode...the OP said he's not looking to use the text output so he can keep the XM...I can vouch for the DICE unit, it's a good setup...and if you ever change your mind about the XM, the text out option is there to be turned on!
Old 01-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Pro

I have the USASpec in my 04 non-navi and I have never had it skip ever. It has worked perfectly since the day I got it. For that reason the USASpec has my vote.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Terminex

USAspec all the way

Been using mine for over 8 months with no problems. I LOVE the "new" hybrid mode on the USAspec. (new meaning it is only on the new models (within the last year)
Old 01-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by terminex
Been using mine for over 8 months with no problems. I LOVE the "new" hybrid mode on the USAspec. (new meaning it is only on the new models (within the last year)
What is this "hybrid mode" you speak of?
Old 01-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Rebourne

USAspec
Old 01-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Needs wheels

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think he means the mode that let's you use the controls on the iPod AND the radio controls...btw, the DICE unit has this functionality as well
Old 01-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by godizus
I think he means the mode that let's you use the controls on the iPod AND the radio controls...btw, the DICE unit has this functionality as well
My USASpec has that feature. It is nice to have both options.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Advanced

I understand that the USASpec is using Aux output... is the Dice using Aux as well?
and does the Dice give extra ports to connect other devices, I heard the USASpec gives an extra spot.

How is the quality? is it much better than the Cassette.. i use the cassette adapter.. but its pretty damn bad.. I expect around CD quality if im gonna purchase this thing.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Instructor

I'm going with USA Spec for now. Found the PA11-HON2Y online for $109. I'll do a rough install (w/o hiding the cables) to see how it works for a few days. As long as that skipping issue isn't a problem, I'm sure I'll love it.

As I've said, I'm keeping the XM so I don't need TEXT. I'm using a ProClips USA mount so I can see the artwork, etc just fine from my iPod.

Cassette adapter is horrible quality. I can't even listen to my ipod via that route.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Zero523
I understand that the USASpec is using Aux output... is the Dice using Aux as well?
and does the Dice give extra ports to connect other devices, I heard the USASpec gives an extra spot.

How is the quality? is it much better than the Cassette.. i use the cassette adapter.. but its pretty damn bad.. I expect around CD quality if im gonna purchase this thing.
It is CD quality sound. You wont be disappointed. The steering wheel controls are the thing that really makes it great.
Originally Posted by Skwalker23
I'm going with USA Spec for now. Found the PA11-HON2Y online for $109. I'll do a rough install (w/o hiding the cables) to see how it works for a few days. As long as that skipping issue isn't a problem, I'm sure I'll love it.

As I've said, I'm keeping the XM so I don't need TEXT. I'm using a ProClips USA mount so I can see the artwork, etc just fine from my iPod.

Cassette adapter is horrible quality. I can't even listen to my ipod via that route.
Where are you thinking of putting the iPod? A rough install wont be worth while as you have to take the side panel off to get to the back of the radio either way. Do it how you want it and dont waste time. It will work fine. Sorry for the rhyme. Seriously.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Instructor

I'm thinking of installing the USA Spec unit underneath the driver's seat. Then running the ipod cable along the driver's side console and bringing it through the lower front console pocket next to the accessory socket (lighter). Thoughts?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Where did you find that ??
Old 01-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Where did you find that ??

Enfig Car Stereo. I guess they are located in NJ.

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...A11_HON2Y.html
Old 01-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Enfig Car Stereo. I guess they are located in NJ.

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...A11_HON2Y.html
Thanks man!

How much do you think it will cost to install this??

So the USASpec does not have Text with XM does it?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Instructor

Thanks man!

How much do you think it will cost to install this??

So the USASpec does not have Text with XM does it?

I'm going to install it myself. I did contact a shop in my area that is an authorized USA Spec dealer, and he quoted me $60/hour and told me it would take 2 hours at the most. I would think it should only take an hour.

No, neither the USA Spec nor the DICE allow you to have text AND XM. In fact, I haven't really found an aftermarket device that allows both text and XM.

The DICE unit does support text, but you have to disable XM.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Pro

I'm thinking of installing the USA Spec unit underneath the driver's seat. Then running the ipod cable along the driver's side console and bringing it through the lower front console pocket next to the accessory socket (lighter). Thoughts?
I installed my USASpec unit in the dash behind the radio. Only problem is that if you want to hook up something to that other input you cant get to it easily. There is nothing that I can imagine I would ever want to plug into mine so that spot is fine for me. Then I ran the plug for the iPod through the hole in the top of the larger bin below the radio and I keep my iPod in there. Really simple install. If you do that you only have to remove 2 panels and that should be it.

The install should take no more than 45 minutes. Even if you are an idiot you could do it. It is really simple. All you have to do is remove the lower panel in front of your knees by taking out 4 screws (I think). Then take out 4 more screws out of the vertical panel next to your right knee. Slide that panel out of the way and there is the radio.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Advanced

I'm going to install it myself. I did contact a shop in my area that is an authorized USA Spec dealer, and he quoted me $60/hour and told me it would take 2 hours at the most. I would think it should only take an hour.

No, neither the USA Spec nor the DICE allow you to have text AND XM. You MUST disable XM if you want text. Personally, I don't want the text. I'd much rather look at my ipod and enjoy the cover art.
Yeah same here.. But I kind of wanted to see what it looked like, I know every song thats playing on my IPOD anyways, so to me it makes no difference, it's not like ill be staring at the dashboard or the ipod..

Anyone have a pic of the Text with a NON Navi?? ive seen them with the Navigator.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fish008
I installed my USASpec unit in the dash behind the radio. Only problem is that if you want to hook up something to that other input you cant get to it easily. There is nothing that I can imagine I would ever want to plug into mine so that spot is fine for me. Then I ran the plug for the iPod through the hole in the top of the larger bin below the radio and I keep my iPod in there. Really simple install. If you do that you only have to remove 2 panels and that should be it.

The install should take no more than 45 minutes. Even if you are an idiot you could do it.

Cool, thanks. Question: Is there enough cable length (USASpec to radio, USA Spec to ipod) for me to be able to install the USA Spec unit underneath the driver's seat? Maybe I'm better off installing it behind the radio.

Also, did you have to drill a hole in the bin below the radio to run the cable through? I read somewhere that a guy also installed a grommet so that the drilled hole wouldn't jack up the cable.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Yeah same here.. But I kind of wanted to see what it looked like, I know every song thats playing on my IPOD anyways, so to me it makes no difference, it's not like ill be staring at the dashboard or the ipod..

Anyone have a pic of the Text with a NON Navi?? ive seen them with the Navigator.

I'd imagine it looks just like the XM text display. 16 character, one line display.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Advanced

The install should take no more than 45 minutes. Even if you are an idiot you could do it. It is really simple. All you have to do is remove the lower panel in front of your knees by taking out 4 screws (I think). Then take out 4 more screws out of the vertical panel next to your right knee. Slide that panel out of the way and there is the radio.
How far out does the cable go out from the larger bin??? i want to be able to reach to me comfortably..
Old 01-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Instructor

How far out does the cable go out from the larger bin??? i want to be able to reach to me comfortably..
I know the ipod cable is approximately 4 feet from the USA Spec unit to the iPod connector.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Pro

Cool, thanks. Question: Is there enough cable length (USASpec to radio, USA Spec to ipod) for me to be able to install the USA Spec unit underneath the driver's seat? Maybe I'm better off installing it behind the radio.

Also, did you have to drill a hole in the bin below the radio to run the cable through? I read somewhere that a guy also installed a grommet so that the drilled hole wouldn't jack up the cable.
Sorry, I don't remember how much cable there was. But I think there might be. My iPod is in the top bin below the radio. There is already a hole in the top/back of the bin so you don't have to drill a hole. Just plug the USASpec cable into the back of the radio, take the plug that came out of the radio and plug that into the Y cable and run the iPod wire into the bin below the radio and you're done.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Instructor

I installed the USA Spec unit tonight. It took me roughly an hour and ended up saving me around $120. Thanks to everyone on this site for helping me out. So far no skipping issues.

I installed the unit underneath the driver's seat and ran the ipod cable out through the top storage bin underneath the radio. Perfect.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:27 AM

Received 5,915 Likes on 2,915 Posts
I installed the USA Spec unit tonight. It took me roughly an hour and ended up saving me around $120. Thanks to everyone on this site for helping me out. So far no skipping issues.

I installed the unit underneath the driver's seat and ran the ipod cable out through the top storage bin underneath the radio. Perfect.
I just got an iPod Touch a few weeks ago and am very interested in installing the USA Spec unit. However, I like having XM as well. I read the other posts that I won't have text from iPod if I have XM active. Any other functionality issues that you've noticed?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:43 AM

Okay, a follow-up to my last question (above); I just got through reading about this device on the Crutchfield website and I am wondering, what does this show up as in terms of the controls on a Nav-equipped TL? Is there any loss of the CD player functionality? The description at Crutchfield makes it sound like the car recognizes the iPod as a CD Changer; does that mean you can no longer use the 6 disc changer that is already in the car? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make an informed decision.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Racer

The USASpec doesn't display text at all in any mode.

No, you won't lose any function of the radio itself. Your internal deck will remain unaffected.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ttribe
I just got an iPod Touch a few weeks ago and am very interested in installing the USA Spec unit. However, I like having XM as well. I read the other posts that I won't have text from iPod if I have XM active. Any other functionality issues that you've noticed?
First of all the USASpec does not support text to the best of my knowledge, so that shouldn't even be a concern. If you want text you need the DICE unit. I have the USASpec and love it, I dont have text.
Okay, a follow-up to my last question (above); I just got through reading about this device on the Crutchfield website and I am wondering, what does this show up as in terms of the controls on a Nav-equipped TL? Is there any loss of the CD player functionality? The description at Crutchfield makes it sound like the car recognizes the iPod as a CD Changer; does that mean you can no longer use the 6 disc changer that is already in the car? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make an informed decision.
I have a non-navi so I cant comment on the display but here is how it works. The USASpec unit basically "tricks" the car into thinking that there is a remote CD changer in the car. You access the iPod by pressing the disc button twice. Obviously the first starts the 6 disc in-dash changer and the second push activates the iPod. The screen in the non-navi display reads like this: "CD-C 6 xx 00:00" Here is what that means. The CD-C means CD changer (obviously). The 6 always will read 6 as in disc 6 in the changer. The xx in my example is the track number (anywhere from 1 to 99) and changes as you manually change songs. The 00:00 represents time (obviously). If the song on the iPod changes (ends) to another song the car still displays the same track and if left alone the car would display upto 59:59 before returning to 00:00. I believe the navi display is the same but shows like any normal CD would with the exeption of the CD-C. If you have more questions to hesitate to ask.

There are so many threads out there on this you should bea ble to find any info you need. Like I said I will answer any question that you have though. Here is another thread about where to mount/put your iPod when you get something. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172385
Old 01-16-2008, 01:03 PM

Nick and Fish - thanks much for your responses; my apologies of the confusion on the text thing.

Fish - thanks for the detailed description of how the interface works. Sounds like it's a good little device. I'm certainly leaning that way.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Pro

Nick and Fish - thanks much for your responses; my apologies of the confusion on the text thing.

Fish - thanks for the detailed description of how the interface works. Sounds like it's a good little device. I'm certainly leaning that way.
I feel like I should give you a little more info now that I think about it. The steering wheel controls still work, which is the best part for me. The volume controls the volume in the car not the ipod volume. The channel/track button (on the steering wheel) controls the track up/down on the ipod (cannot fast forward or rewind within the track with these buttons). The seek buttons on the head unit itself can also change the track up/down but they also allow you to fast forward and rewind within the track itself. The time display on the head unit is unaffected by this FF and RW, it continues counting regardless of FF/RW. I would recommend putting the USASpec on direct mode, you still have full control with ipod and car, you just have to manually select playlists. I run mine on shuffle 99% of the time and just find a song I want to listen to. I think that is all I know about how the USASpec unit interacts with the TL and how I do things. Hope that helps.

By the way I think that someone in that other thread I linked found the USASpec for $110, that is a great deal. But make sure that you buy this: PA11-HON2y. The 2y is important.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:33 PM

I feel like I should give you a little more info now that I think about it. The steering wheel controls still work, which is the best part for me. The volume controls the volume in the car not the ipod volume. The channel/track button (on the steering wheel) controls the track up/down on the ipod (cannot fast forward or rewind within the track with these buttons). The seek buttons on the head unit itself can also change the track up/down but they also allow you to fast forward and rewind within the track itself. The time display on the head unit is unaffected by this FF and RW, it continues counting regardless of FF/RW. I would recommend putting the USASpec on direct mode, you still have full control with ipod and car, you just have to manually select playlists. I run mine on shuffle 99% of the time and just find a song I want to listen to. I think that is all I know about how the USASpec unit interacts with the TL and how I do things. Hope that helps.

By the way I think that someone in that other thread I linked found the USASpec for $110, that is a great deal. But make sure that you buy this: PA11-HON2y. The 2y is important.
Excellent! Thanks for the info and the advice.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:03 PM

Well, based on this, I just went and ordered the USA Spec from enfig.com for $109.99 this afternoon. Thanks to everyone for their input, etc. Hopefully, I'll have this in and installed by the weekend...will post an update when it's done.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Pro

So ttribe get the USASpec unit in the mail yet? Install it yet? What do you think?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:26 PM
5th Gear

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger any minute on the USASpec, anxiously awaiting ttribe's install!

Quick Reply: DICE or USA Spec, which should I choose?