Custom Enclose w/Front Facing Subs

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Enclose w/Front Facing Subs

Ok here is my vision:

Want to install a custom enclosure, similar to this, with the twist being that I want to subs to face forward (towards the cabin) with the amp mounted on the side visible through the trunk.

Was wondering if any has considered this. I've been told that there wouldn't be enough room but i'm having a hard time seeing that. Am even thinking I could install install grills over the sub to prevent contact with the back of the seats and the subs.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Marlon
Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
goals? budget? experience?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
goals? budget? experience?
Goal is a clean "rear trunk area" setup that leaves as much space as possible while encompassing 2 10" Subs and an Amp.

Budget is ~$600

I have done basic installs (wiring) but nothing custom. Plan on buying the box pre-fab'd and can have a shop do wiring if necessary. Not really any other work involved.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
Infinite baffle will preserve the most trunk space, but i would go dual 12"
Old 02-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Agreed. IB is the way to go for saving space and in many cases best sound quality. As Pohljm said, I would go bigger. Instead of a pair of 10s, a single 15 would likely sound better and you would get more output with less power required. Bigger usually has more favorable parameters for sound quality and bigger is more efficient so it will make the most of the power you have available.

IB will take up very little trunk space. A pair of 15s IB will take up considerably less space than a pair of 10s in a sealed box. If you have the 10s already, what model are they?

If you do the box facing forward, I found that you lose a lot of low end bass but it seems more punchy. I found that if you seal the trunk from the cabin you get a lot of the low bass back so I'm assuming there's some cancellation going on. By the time you get done installing a sealed box and seal the trunk off you've done about the same amount of work as it would take going IB and you would save money by not having to buy an enclosure.

Also, you can do a single 10" in a ported box. If done right it will be only slightly larger than sealed and you'll have a least as good sound quality and about the same output, maybe even more output than a pair of 10s sealed. This should save room overall even though the single enclosure will be larger than a single 10" sealed.

Last edited by I hate cars; 02-04-2014 at 11:01 AM.