Custom CarPC

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:26 PM
skh
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Custom CarPC

So I have recently bought a 04 TL and one of the things that I dislike about the car is the navigation system. I have been looking at the possibilities of putting in a CarPC (carputer), but have not seen any fully integrated systems. And by fully integrated, I mean as good as or better than OEM in ease of use, response and feedback. IE I would like to keep my steering wheel controls (voice and phone buttons too), and buttons under the nav screen to function. I would like to use the factory stereo for a CD player AM/FM radio (I could care less about the tape deck), and I could live with out the SAT radio. I would think that I could use a Y-splitter that other devices use (like the GROM, and USA Spec) to use the PC as a separate audio input via the SAT. I would also think that I could use the audio input for the current nav system for the PC nav system???? I would like to use a higher resolution touch screen as well.

I have not seen anyone do this type of integration in their TL, I did find someone who did do an extremely good job with his Accord.

I guess what I'm trying to accomplish is having an upgradeable nav system (the current nav software that seems to be the best right now is Copilot v8 Live), a high resolution screen with the benefits of a CarPC (media center, obd II reader, better bluetooth integration for phone and streaming music etc.) I have been looking to get a similar PC hardware set up as Mickz from mp3car.com.

Has anyone done anything like this, and I just don't know how to use the search button, or is this just way to much to ask??? GROM does have a PC to car interface module that can hopefully make this setup a reality for me/others that are interested. (I know justnspace noted he would like a CarPC with better navigation).

I have read a lot of posts on this topic and these threads seem like they are on the right track but the threads/interest died...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...9&page=1&pp=25
http://www.mp3car.com/show-off-your-...tegration.html

Any help would be great!
The following users liked this post:
RG11 (01-15-2013)
Old 03-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by skh
So I have recently bought a 04 TL and one of the things that I dislike about the car is the navigation system. I have been looking at the possibilities of putting in a CarPC (carputer), but have not seen any fully integrated systems. And by fully integrated, I mean as good as or better than OEM in ease of use, response and feedback. IE I would like to keep my steering wheel controls (voice and phone buttons too), and buttons under the nav screen to function. I would like to use the factory stereo for a CD player AM/FM radio (I could care less about the tape deck), and I could live with out the SAT radio. I would think that I could use a Y-splitter that other devices use (like the GROM, and USA Spec) to use the PC as a separate audio input via the SAT. I would also think that I could use the audio input for the current nav system for the PC nav system???? I would like to use a higher resolution touch screen as well.

I have not seen anyone do this type of integration in their TL, I did find someone who did do an extremely good job with his Accord.

I guess what I'm trying to accomplish is having an upgradeable nav system (the current nav software that seems to be the best right now is Copilot v8 Live), a high resolution screen with the benefits of a CarPC (media center, obd II reader, better bluetooth integration for phone and streaming music etc.) I have been looking to get a similar PC hardware set up as Mickz from mp3car.com.

Has anyone done anything like this, and I just don't know how to use the search button, or is this just way to much to ask??? GROM does have a PC to car interface module that can hopefully make this setup a reality for me/others that are interested. (I know justnspace noted he would like a CarPC with better navigation).

I have read a lot of posts on this topic and these threads seem like they are on the right track but the threads/interest died...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...9&page=1&pp=25
http://www.mp3car.com/show-off-your-...tegration.html

Any help would be great!
There have been several people who have done this. You just can't use the Search button!
Look for posts by VmtSquad, moahdib, King of Pain, met152 and wrxyboy. A really good thread (the one I am currently using as the source for my CarPC build) is here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/visualogic-vmod-media-demand-709051/

A long thread, but filled with good info.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:21 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've a 2011 Acura TL w/tech and i'm looking for the same thing.