CUstom box for 3g?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010 | 12:43 PM
DGP

Originally Posted by justnspace
I dont have any experience with bandpass boxes.
When I read CSW's thread, the box sold me. it sold IHC as well. And then Roger made one on a smaller scale.
from these 3 people, I realized that this is the "Miracle Box" so to speak.
Its super crazy efficient. what that means is, you'll use less power to match or even beat the current "loudness" of your 2 type-r's.
Ya finally read the whole thing lol I might try some w6s seeing as those have excellent results. All this info is great to because originally i was going for just pure what has the most rms and which has the highest db but in actuality it 's all about the box.
Old 09-13-2010 | 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by NHfastandfree
Ya finally read the whole thing lol I might try some w6s seeing as those have excellent results. All this info is great to because originally i was going for just pure what has the most rms and which has the highest db but in actuality it 's all about the box.

remember, if you pick a large sub that requires more air space, you're gonna end up with a large box. a bandpass is a sealed box with an added ported chamber. Seeing that you were concerned with trunk space, i'd recommend a smaller sub like Roger's (triodesign)

Last edited by justnspace; 09-13-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2010 | 12:57 PM
Team Owner

Luckily both boxes are relatively small for the JL subs. Going from memory the sealed is 1.29 and the ported is 1.8 but I could be wrong. The sealed portion is as small as it can physically be. The magnet nearly touches the back, and the box is barely large enough for the subs to fit into.
Old 09-13-2010 | 12:59 PM
DGP

Originally Posted by justnspace
remember, if you pick a large sub that requires more air space, you're gonna end up with a large box. a bandpass is a sealed box with an added ported chamber. Seeing that you were concerned with trunk space, i'd recommend a smaller sub like Roger's (triodesign)
Maybe ill just take one subwoofer from my other car (12 inch alpine type r) and just use that one. I have an amp that would pairs with that perfectly but of course this means i have to destroy the system in my other car . But the tls a better car so to the tl it goes!
Old 09-13-2010 | 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Luckily both boxes are relatively small for the JL subs. Going from memory the sealed is 1.29 and the ported is 1.8 but I could be wrong. The sealed portion is as small as it can physically be. The magnet nearly touches the back, and the box is barely large enough for the subs to fit into.
I stand corrected.
Old 09-13-2010 | 01:00 PM
Team Owner

Keep in mind not every sub can be bandpassed. W7 can't. W6 can. ID max is not recommended while the IDQ is.
Old 09-13-2010 | 01:27 PM
Drifting

I've heard all of those but one myself. There's a reason I've stuck with JL. Don't act like I'm one of those guys that jump on bandwagons. There's a reason I run JL subs with ID mids.

A couple of those subs will get louder than the W7 but none will sound as good while going loud. The only thing that's not opinion in here is the SPL. A W7 in the proper enclosue of course, will sound better than any mentioned. I've heard many IDMaxes and while they're a great sub, they just don't compare to the W7.

Like many people you seem to have something against JL because they're expensive. You get what you pay for. Of course there are subs that go louder at half the cost but again, it's the combo of SQ and SPL. Some people hate JL because it's what others are doing.

Maybe you've never heard one in the proper box before. Originally my W6s sounded like garbage and didn't get very loud. I had friends with bottom of the line Kickers that sounded better than mine. Then I did the bandpass setup and it's one of the best sounding subs I've ever heard.

It comes down to personal preference so I don't really pay attention to others. You have to listen to stuff yourself and give it a fair shot ie proper box and setup. I've found many opinions on the internet whether it's audio or performance stuff is biased and mostly opinion based.
Na uh

The xcon would crap all over the w7 in spl or sq

Here's a small list of subs i've heard & had experience with that sound better/get louder than the w7

id idmax
si mag v3
alpine type x
ssa icon
sound splinter rli/rlp
shiva x
maelstorm
2005 re xxx
fi q
tc audio tc9

Last edited by eggyhustles; 09-13-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2010 | 01:34 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
Na uh

Here's a small list of subs i've heard & had experience with that sound better/get louder than the w7

id idmax
si mag v3
alpine type x
ssa icon
sound splinter rli/rlp
shiva x
maelstorm
2005 re xxx
fi q
tc audio tc9
Agree with you i miss my TC9 should not have sold it with my car. I have to take care of my trunk rattle first because is getting annoying.
Old 09-13-2010 | 02:01 PM
Team Owner

Na uh

id idmax
si mag v3
alpine type x
ssa icon
sound splinter rli/rlp
shiva x
maelstorm
2005 re xxx
fi q
tc audio tc9
Please, I think CSW covered this a long time ago. Most of the IDmax owners will agree the W7 is the better overall sub but they get the max because it's so much cheaper.
Old 09-13-2010 | 05:56 PM
Drifting

CSW didn't say much except for

"you're an idiot"
"you're poor"
"i have x amount of knowledge and you're just a stupid kid"

Yada Yada.

I'm running 500 dollar horns and a 800 dollar processor in my setup..if the w7 was that good, i would be using them...

I like their stuff and if the w7 was priced around 300, i'd be using them...same goes for the w6.

When it comes to car audio, you get what you pay for goes out the window..just look at critical mass..
Old 09-13-2010 | 10:50 PM
Team Owner

CSW didn't say much except for

"you're an idiot"
"you're poor"
"i have x amount of knowledge and you're just a stupid kid"

Yada Yada.
Ah the good old days. The forum was a lot livlier with much better technical discussions back then. He did have a lot of info and knowledge to share. I enjoyed watching the battles from the sidelines. I think I only got banned once back then.
Old 09-14-2010 | 10:22 AM
Pro

Fun discussion, and nice box idea. With this car though, at least in my testing and utilization, I've found that with the Bose sub removed there is no appreciable loss of bass energy into the cabin just by using a simple sealed or ported option in the trunk facing backward. Can't say it is a bad idea, trying to utilize the pass-through.

Lesson learned though, sometimes the most simple solution is the best.
Old 09-14-2010 | 06:54 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fourthmeal
Fun discussion, and nice box idea. With this car though, at least in my testing and utilization, I've found that with the Bose sub removed there is no appreciable loss of bass energy into the cabin just by using a simple sealed or ported option in the trunk facing backward. Can't say it is a bad idea, trying to utilize the pass-through.

Lesson learned though, sometimes the most simple solution is the best.
The reason for porting the bandpass through the armrest is not for SPL, it's for SQ and getting rid of the rattles. No bass in the trunk means no rattles in the rear of the car.
Old 09-14-2010 | 08:37 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Ah the good old days. The forum was a lot livlier with much better technical discussions back then. He did have a lot of info and knowledge to share. I enjoyed watching the battles from the sidelines. I think I only got banned once back then.
speaking of the self proclaimed Mr. Smart Ass know-it-all. did he ever finish his fucken system? or is it "still in the works"

Jason! get off your ass and post some update picks
Old 09-14-2010 | 08:40 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jptl04
speaking of the self proclaimed Mr. Smart Ass know-it-all. did he ever finish his fucken system? or is it "still in the works"

Jason! get off your ass and post some update picks
I have no idea. I'll hit him up on facebook and see if we can get him to go to Acurafest. You're going to be there this year, right?
Old 09-14-2010 | 09:18 PM
Bone stock tl-s

I have no idea. I'll hit him up on facebook and see if we can get him to go to Acurafest. You're going to be there this year, right?
I'm pretty sure im going to acurafest, if nothing big comes up.
Old 09-14-2010 | 09:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jptl04
I'm pretty sure im going to acurafest, if nothing big comes up.
You HAVE to bring your car. Besides, I didn't get a chance to hear the system last year. Looking forward do demoing as many as possible this year.
Old 09-15-2010 | 12:13 PM
DGP

When and where is acurafest?