Convert DVD to DVD-A - 6CH DTS DVD-A Creation [Step by Step with PICS]

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convert DVD to DVD-A - 6CH DTS DVD-A Creation [Step by Step with PICS]

How to Convert DVD to DVD-A preserving the 6CH audio

I have been using the Verbatim DVD-R 8X and they play perfectly with the TL

This process is perfect for converting Concert DVDs (U2, Up in Smoke Tour, DMB) to be played in the TL.

--To be noted I just converted the U2 Vertigo DVD and it was actually to big, i had to chop off the last track. I had never seen this happen before untill today.

Step by Step

Programs Required for Convert & Burn

Smart Ripper
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...martripper.cfm

BeSweet
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/do...t_gui_186.html

Disc Welder
your on your own...

[Smart Ripper - .VOB per chapter]
[Open the DVD you want to convert in any player to unlock it before opening SmartRipper otherwise you will get a msg telling you to unlock the DVD]

After playing the DVD for a few seconds
Open SmartRipper

Step 1 - Program opens - Set Target Path

Step 2 - Adjust settings for .vob per chapter

Step 3 - Select the 6CH Audio Track for DTS, and start!

Now that you have the .VOB *
Time to Transcode them into 6 Channel .WAV *

[BeSweet - Used to Transcode Wave Files]

The only thing that you havet to do with BeSweet is basically have it installed.

Step 1
Copy and paste the below command EXACTLY into notepad
"C:\Program Files\Besweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "c:\DVD_Temp\vts_01_1.vob" -output "c:\DVD_Temp\vts_01_1.wav" -6chwav -logfilea "C:\Program Files\Besweet\BeSweet.log" ) -azid( -c normal -L -3db ) -ota( -hybridgain ) -profile( ~~~~~ Default Profile ~~~~~ )

Step 2
Adjust any of the below drive paths, or location of temp files if necessary
C:\Program Files\Besweet\BeSweet.exe
c:\DVD_Temp\vts_01_1.vob
c:\DVD_Temp\vts_01_1.wav
C:\Program Files\Besweet\BeSweet.log

You will have a .BAT file that looks just like this one

Step 3
Run the .BAT files

This is what your temp dir should look like *
You no longer need the .VOB files *

Time to burn the DVD-A
Discwelder - Used to Burn

Open Discwelder, go to the temp DVD directory, you may have to drag the files in 1 by 1 to make sure they are in the correct order.
and burn as any other disc by clicking record. (I dont change any options)

Here is what Discwelder should look like prior to clicking burning

Shiznittle Bam Snip Snap Sap..
yes my son get to work!!
Old 11-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Banned

Also note-

The Transcoding with the batch files take a while, this is what the screen shoudl look like when each of the 6 Channel .WAV's are created.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Can the Circlina product be used in lieu of Discwelder?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Banned

Havent used it so I can't verify
Old 11-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by baby_igor
Can the Circlina product be used in lieu of Discwelder?

Absolutely!!!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:27 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Nice write up. I think there may be some issue with your azid/ota settings.

Using "-azid( -c normal -L -3db )"
  • "-c normal" compresses the dynamic range which may not be desirable. It really comes down to personal preference. Compressing the signal may make it sound "louder" to some folks. I prefer the full dynamic range (punch).
  • "-L -3db" is redirecting some of the LFE into the front left/right speakers. Again a mater of taste. This setting preserves the LFE channel but also mixes a considerable amount of LFE signal into the front left/right speakers which is too much for my taste. And since the front left/right speakers in the TL are already somewhat clouded by bass, more isn't necessarily better.
I omit the -azid section all together and use -ota ( -g max) which may in fact be the same results as your -ota( -hybridgain ). My azid portion of my log files typically are as below. The differences are in red.
Code:
[00:00:00:000] +-------- AZID -------                              
[00:00:00:000] |  Input Channels Mode: 3/2, Bitrate: 448kbps
[00:00:00:000] |  Total Gain: 0.000dB, Compression:  None    
[00:00:00:000] |  LFE levels: To LR -INF, To LFE 0.0dB
[00:00:00:000] |  Center   mix level: BSI
[00:00:00:000] |  Surround mix level: BSI
[00:00:00:000] |  Dialog normalization: No
[00:00:00:000] |  Rear channels filtering: No
[00:00:00:000] |  Source Sample-Rate: 48.0KHz
This is a pretty good BeSweet reference. http://dhost.info/kpex/guides/bs_clref_html.html It gets pretty confusing to say the least.

Again, nice write up. My points are certainly "nits" and will ultimately be personal preference.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:42 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a great writeup!

Just wanted to make the .BAT file simpler for people... This way you won't even need to know the names of your .VOBs... replace the WHOLE batch file with this one line:

for %%i in (#DIRECTORY_CONTAINING_VOBS#\*.vob) do "C:\Program Files\Besweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "%%i" -output "%%i.wav" -6chwav -logfilea "C:\Program Files\Besweet\BeSweet.log" ) -azid( -c normal -L -3db ) -ota( -hybridgain ) -profile( ~~~~~ Default Profile ~~~~~ )

That'll find ALL the VOBs in #DIRECTORY_CONTAINING_VOBS# and convert them to the same name with a .wav at the end which will be fine for burning.

Make sure to replace #DIRECTORY_CONTAINING_VOBS# with the directory containing the VOBs.

Just makes the process a bit simpler.

Enjoy!

Rob
Old 11-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Instructor

I agree, nice write-up. I have been struggling with this conversion process for the last few weeks. Here are some comments on your note:

1. You posted a link for BeSweet, but it also requires vobinput.dll to work. It can be downloaded from here: http://dspguru.notrace.dk/VOBInput.zip

2. The sample provided is for AC3(6Ch) streams. Some DVD-V's do not have this, and instead have SDDS(5Ch) (also called DTS 5CH). BeSweet will not work for this type of stream, and I have not found a free program to handle it.

3. The title of your post “Convert DVD to DVD-A - 6CH DTS DVD-A” specifies 6Ch DTS, but is it correct to call the AC3 stream DTS? I suspect not, but it may show up as DTS when it is played.

4. Here are some interesting statistics from a test of the same source track using SmartRipper/BeSweet (free) and DVD Audio Extractor (purchase).
BeSweet produced:
- wav file size 209KB
- bit rate 4608 kbps
- sample size 16 bit
- channels 6
- sample rate 48 kHz
- format PCM
- not playable by JetAudio
DVD AE produced:
- wav file size 314KB
- bit rate 6912 kbps
- sample size 24 bit
- channels 6
- sample rate 48 kHz
- format PCM
- playable by JetAudio

As you can see there are some physical differences. I will extract the full disk and burn it to compare the quality of the files produced by DVD AE vs BeSweet. I would be nice if they are not detectable as the files are smaller and I cannot get all of the output from DVD AE to fit on one disk.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:52 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by Bplayer
...4. Here are some interesting statistics from a test of the same source track using SmartRipper/BeSweet (free) and DVD Audio Extractor (purchase).
BeSweet produced:
- wav file size 209KB
- bit rate 4608 kbps
- sample size 16 bit
- channels 6
- sample rate 48 kHz
- format PCM
- not playable by JetAudio
DVD AE produced:
- wav file size 314KB
- bit rate 6912 kbps
- sample size 24 bit
- channels 6
- sample rate 48 kHz
- format PCM
- playable by JetAudio

As you can see there are some physical differences. I will extract the full disk and burn it to compare the quality of the files produced by DVD AE vs BeSweet. I would be nice if they are not detectable as the files are smaller and I cannot get all of the output from DVD AE to fit on one disk.
You may have realized this but just in case...
The only real difference is in the sample size. BeSweet only does 16 bit in 6chwav mode. DVDAE allows you to vary the sample size up/down. The other differences are just because of that. They are exactly 33% higher. Just like 24bit is 33% higher than 16 bit.

One thing that isn't clear to me is what he "native" sample size is for DD or DTS. If it is 16bit then using 24 bit will gain no real advantage and take up space. If it is in fact 24 bit and you only extract to 16 bit I'm not sure you will really hear it. I've been using 16bit and been pretty happy with it.

All I need now is to find some concert DVD-Vs that actually have 6 channel mixes that are really any good compared to the stereo versions.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:18 PM
My Daily Driver

awesome....subscribed!
Old 11-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Banned

bplayer- i have used this exact process for multiple dvd's....
not a single problem transcoding any of them.. this includes DVD-V's that did not have the 6ch DTS

zax123- perfect lil script - thank you, i had been meaning to do that.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adobeman
The only real difference is in the sample size.
OK, thanks. The other difference is JetAudio will play the files produced by DVD AE, but not those from BeSweet (wonder why). JetAudio is a great free media player that converts and plays many 6Ch tracks as well as .ra files (finally eliminated Real from my PC).

Originally Posted by MINTCENT
i have used this exact process for multiple dvd's.... not a single problem transcoding any of them.. this includes DVD-V's that did not have the 6ch DTS
The problem is the reverse, ie. those that only have DTS and no AC3.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Um.....am I the only one who thinks this is way too much work? Why not use only 2 programs, DVD-Audio extractor to create the 5.1 channel wave file for each chapter, and then use DVD-audio solo to write it to a DVD????? That's it. Easy and very few steps. Maybe its just me.......
Old 11-23-2005, 07:33 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by rickneuropa
Um.....am I the only one who thinks this is way too much work? Why not use only 2 programs, DVD-Audio extractor to create the 5.1 channel wave file for each chapter, and then use DVD-audio solo to write it to a DVD????? That's it. Easy and very few steps. Maybe its just me.......
You are not the only one. It is not just you.

Some of us are just a bit more of, dare I say, geeks. I like the total control that BeSweet gives me. With DVD Audio Extractor I need to trust what it is doing even though I can't verify. Is it compressing at all ? Is it redirecting some LFE to other channels ? I don't know. As a geek, I simply write scripts to do what I want so the total steps for me relatively low and simple. Extract, runs a few scripts, burn.

In the end I honestly can admit there may be no appreciable difference between the two methods and I am the "fool" for doing the extra work. But to some the thrill of the chase is more interesting than the rewards.

As an aside, I still need to find more content worthy of even bothering with all of this. I either don't like the artist OR the mix is so crappy it isn't worth it.