Completed 04 TL non-navi to navi conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eal15
trashcan,

do you have an estimated time for your directions or could another interested patry message me when it's available. i'm not on here everyday. i definetly don't want to miss this!
tx
I will do a write up during the weekend of April 23rd.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by eal15
you think that's bad, i bought mine in 11/03 had to wait picked it up for christmas on 12/24/03 and the 6 months later. the 6 speed with navi. how do you think i feel. the dealer even told me the dash is different and i can't convert it. i've heard of someone else doing it but i though he was full of shit after the dealer told me. sure it's a lot of time and trouble, but it can't be more trouble than taking a loss on the car since they are still so new and then having to buy another.
I know how you feel. But let's think of it this way. What if you can't ge the navi parts "cheap"? The dealer is selling the navi parts for a total of more than $6000.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ITL
truly impressed.

i just got done installing a carPC a few weeks ago and can honestly appreciate this effort. I just wish i had time to make a site for my project...

congrats!
Do you have some pics to show? I am sure some ppl would like to have it done too.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xboylive
YO!!!! YOU THE MAN......... NICE . I KNEW IT COULD BE DONE >>>> QUESTION >>>> I do not want navi, but want the screen for a DVD source .. several screens will fit nicely (thought about moving down exsisting display lose spare compartments like another guy did) , but do think I could wire the HVAC / RADIO to DISPLAY on normal TFT screen ??
I don't think that will work. You will need to have to same specs of "data bus" to cummunicate.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
Yeah, where did you get the parts? Junk yard? how much?
Try this national junk yard database. http://www.car-parts.com
I did a search and it shows there's one available for sale. not sure if it's included the trun Navi ROM unit. This is the only place you could find it cheap. If you can find it, just keep trying few days after.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Reppin' for tha DPG

Originally posted byTrashCan Thx, I ain't an EE, I hold a MIS degree and I do electronics as a hobby.
Hey!... Just curious, and I know I'm waaaaaay off topic, but did u get your MIS degree from SJSU?

BTW - SICKKK work man!!....
Old 04-12-2005, 07:45 AM
Advanced

Hey TrashCan, or anybody that knows ....(I have not looked at a Navi to see what is displayed on the normal screen), but I would have bought one if I knew I could have used the screen for playing dvds ...oh well . ....... If I get the Navi, screen (for TV purposes only) & HVAC .... what other parts would I need .. I do not care about any features except .. HVAC control screen .... default radio display ... just need a screen .... ideas ??? comments ????

also thanks TrashCan for the 1st reply .. I did not think that would work w/o bus schematics
Old 04-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xboylive,

The Navi screen doesn't have an HVAC control screen in the TL. It's all done on a little display panel ABOVE the Navi screen. It does have an audio control screen though, but to make it work, you'd need to have the Navi unit in the trunk as the computer in the navi unit is what generates the control screens. But enough information for the audio is displayed on the same display panel as the HVAC stuff. Look at pics to know what I'm talking about. So you could put the stock Navi screen and get the NaviPlus converter and that'll work without having to have the OEM navi unit in the trunk.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Intermediate

TrashCan,

What about the radio and navi anti-theft code? When you buy these parts from e-bay or auto/junk part dealers don't you need to know the code to get this to work? Will the dealer provide you with the code if you know the serial number. I saw an item where the seller says that he does not have the code but it can be obtained from the dealer. True?

thanx
Old 04-14-2005, 08:23 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Very good question, whatacar
Old 04-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by whatacar
TrashCan,

What about the radio and navi anti-theft code? When you buy these parts from e-bay or auto/junk part dealers don't you need to know the code to get this to work? Will the dealer provide you with the code if you know the serial number. I saw an item where the seller says that he does not have the code but it can be obtained from the dealer. True?

thanx
Yes, you can ge the code from your local Acura dealers as long as you have the serial number. Some do charge you a fee and some dealers don't. OR you can try to ask the Honda tech guy in http://www.honda-acura.net He works in Honda and likes to help everyone out. Some times if you bought it from the junk yard, they have the codes also.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RawDogg
Hey!... Just curious, and I know I'm waaaaaay off topic, but did u get your MIS degree from SJSU?

BTW - SICKKK work man!!....
I didn't get the MIS degree there. R u studying in SJSU? I am a drop out from CalPoly, Pomona becuase of limited classes and long list of students. I got my degree at the other school.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:04 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Admirable... kudos for your efforts...
I'm an EE and I know how detail this work is...U did good.

the only way I would replace my navi now, is with a touch screen PC, so I could have NAVI + PC + Wireless Internet + XM + Sirius + DVD + Photo display + Games, etc but then I lose the current Navi... and cost.

it's good we all have freedom to choose what we want.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Intermediate

Hi TrashCan,

Did you get a chance to do a write up of your navi conversion?

Thanx
Old 04-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Advanced

Sorry, I was having a little problem with my computer's HD. The write up will be delayed till the memorial long weekend.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Intermediate

Hey, no problem. Take your time.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2005, 07:53 PM
Intermediate

TrashCan,

I have one question. I assume the difference between a TSX Navi DVD and the TL one is the 5 pin HFL connector. What will I lose by using a TSX DVD unit? Is it the display of the phone indicator graphics on the LCD?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by whatacar
TrashCan,

I have one question. I assume the difference between a TSX Navi DVD and the TL one is the 5 pin HFL connector. What will I lose by using a TSX DVD unit? Is it the display of the phone indicator graphics on the LCD?

Thanks
There's no indicator graphics for the phone on the LCD. The phone indicator is at the top HVAC (clock) display module. The TSX navi dvd unit doesn't has bluetooth interface which means you can not use the "send" command when you see the telephone # displayed one the LCD in the map. For example, you search for a bussiness address which has a telephone # displayed, you can simply say "send" and it will dial the displayed business telephone # for you via bluetooth interface to the your bluetooth phone. Now, many people mis-understood this feature and think if using the TSX navi dvd rom unit, you will loose the bluetooth feature of your TL. You won't loose the bluetooth feature if you use the TSX navi dvd rom unit. Bluetooth for the TL is a seperate component and it will just work like what it is from facotry. You just can't use the "send" command, but you can use the "dial" or "call" command and say the numbers displayed on the map. Like "call" 1-888-123-45678, but if you do have the original TL navi dvd rom unit, you can just say "send" and it will dial the number displayed on the map for you.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

Trashcan,

Thank you sir for the detailed reply. That is great. I think I may be on track now for a full conversion. I just need a few more components. Will wait for your write-up before I start.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Intermediate

TrashCan,

Do you have a source for the connectors? I can make my own cables, but the connectors seem to be a little non-standard due to the connector key. I notice you are also from the bay area, is there any source around here?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2005, 07:21 AM
Advanced

Okay.. just to clarify before I start buying pieces: (thanks to all for the help so far)

what I want to accomplish:: to have a TFT/ touchscreen where current LCD radio/HVAC screen is (NON NAV TL)

note: I do not care about BLUE TOOTH or NAVI functions, (would like to keep radio and volume controls on steering wheel)

per zax123 (thanks!!!)

1) The Navi screen doesn't have an HVAC control screen in the TL. It's all done on a little display panel ABOVE the Navi screen. It does have an audio control screen though, but to make it work, you'd need to have the Navi unit in the trunk as the computer in the navi unit is what generates the control screens. But enough information for the audio is displayed on the same display panel as the HVAC stuff. Look at pics to know what I'm talking about. So you could put the stock Navi screen and get the NaviPlus converter and that'll work without having to have the OEM navi unit in the trunk.

so pieces I need:
1) HVAC control screen for NAVI MODEL ($200 or so dealer quote) ... would replace my clock currently ....

2) NAVI CPU (for radio display on the HVAC screen )???
**** could I use a TSX unit or does it have to be the TL *****

3) TFT SCREEN / video source ... etc ... (would not use the NAVI factory )

thanks ... please confirm if this is correct/ based off info this should work right ?? ..
Old 05-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TrashCan
You have to replace your HFL button on the steering wheel to the navi HFL button. (you can see it in my pic) It's a 4 button one instead of 2 buttons. You will also have to remove the air bag (Do not unplug the air bag wire, you can hold it and unscrew the HFL button) and remove the steering colum's cover (it's plastic and the clips are easy to break, but the new replacement cover is cheap. I didn't replace mine because after I put it back, I hardly noticed the gap there. After you put the new navi HFL button in place, locate the connector that the top of the steering colum and insert an extra pin to the connector to connect the remote voice control wire to the Navi unit in the back trunk. You will understand more when I write up the instructions with pictures.
TrashCan,

I have a non-navi TL and am planning on using one of the navi HFL buttons for a remote mute / lazer blocking disarm for my Radar install.

Couple quick questions:

- Is there prewiring for the navi HFL buttons from the steering column to the trunk or do you have to add the wiring for the buttons yourself? If so does it travel drivers side or passenger?

- Where did you get your electronic trouble shooting guide? (Looked online but couldn't find anything for 2004 TL)
Old 05-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Advanced

amazed

I will do a write up during the weekend of April 23rd.
Hell I could never even try something like this, being one of the non-nav regret people I had to go old and stupid and just gat a Garmin 2620 to use until next year trade.

I am amazed at the effort you put into this and that you were able to prove all those that said couldn't be done to shame.

Kudo's to you!
Old 05-13-2005, 02:57 AM
2005 ACURA TL

nice job man
Old 05-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Advanced

HEY could someone confirm post #60 ... I would like to get started soon ... THANKS to ALL !!!
Old 05-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xboylive
HEY could someone confirm post #60 ... I would like to get started soon ... THANKS to ALL !!!
1. Yes, you are right about the HVAC screen. It is all in the clock display module.

2. The Navi screen will have to be the factory screen. The factory screen also has a controller for the HVAC screen and some interfaces specific to the Navi CPU, touch screen and display interface. So using a standard TFT screen is not easy.

3. Read post 57 by TrashCan. He says that the TSX Navi DVD/CPU will work in all respects except one.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Instructor

What about the steering wheel that is connected to the navi?
Old 05-26-2005, 06:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Question

Sorry, I was having a little problem with my computer's HD. The write up will be delayed till the memorial long weekend.
Im thinking of doing this project this summer, how much does the wire harness cost? or if you can make me one how much?
Old 07-17-2005, 06:51 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

You are a true hero, Trashcan.

Factory electronics in car is an area I would touch for the last. I know lot of people work on their engines and stuff but factory electronics is still much of a mystery ground.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:48 PM
05 WDP TL

how do you make your own wiring harness? anyone find any detailed information on the write-up?? thanks
Old 07-25-2005, 11:57 AM
05 WDP TL

where's trashcan at?? he hasnt' been on for AWHILE...
Old 07-25-2005, 12:12 PM
Racer

Hey guys I was just wondering where I can possibly get the factory navi from. I saw the factory navi a LONG time ago on ebay, but they no longer have that. Any help on where you guys got ur navi's from? Thanks
Old 07-25-2005, 11:03 PM
05 WDP TL

actually i just saw an auction end on ebay for pretty much everything for $1000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

i have also called around to a few junk yards and they want $1900 shipped for the entire unit and with harnesses as well....i was like.......@#$@#$@$ shoulda just go the damn navi with the car.....
Old 08-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Intermediate

trashcaN,

i'm new to this site and had no idea you could do sucha thing. i had the same situation with the car, they had a buch of nonnavs on the lot and i couldn't wait 8 weeks for it!!! it would be greatlyu appreciated if you could send me or tell me where to get the info i need to do all of what you did. i've already had the car taken apart and put in screens and audio so i'm not scared of doing it again. it looks like the only thing i need is the info on where to get the hardware and maybe a step by step on how to do it. please help me w/ this, i would greatly appreciate it, this is definately my next project.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Im just wondering, what controls voice commands like "a/c on" "defroster on" ? since i don't need navigation i just want the navi screen and the navi clock, will i still be able to hack it to play dvds or will i need the dvd-rom as well?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Advanced

Any word from TRASHCAN ?????
Old 08-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Just purchased all the necessary components to convert my non-navi 05 TL to Navi. Can anyone offer any assistance as to installing them? Anyone think goign to the dealer is a good idea?
Old 10-10-2005, 09:15 PM
05 WDP TL

where is TRASHCAN??????
Old 10-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Intermediate

For all those who are undecided on whether or not to get the original Navi., heres a thought. I went into Acura to replace the screen because it was not dimming automatically when the headlights were on. The invoice for the screen replacement was like over $1,600.00. For the trouble of changing out the system afterward, it may be best to just buy the car with Navi. installed. You'll get the warranty with the car.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

So what happens when that happens after warrenty expires? are you gonna be screwed w/ a $1,600 invoice?

Quick Reply: Completed 04 TL non-navi to navi conversion