Comments on my upcoming sound system additions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:12 PM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Comments on my upcoming sound system additions

I'll keep this short and simple as I know there are tons of similar threads. Mine are specific to a few things that I couldn't find answers on though.

I'm going to be adding a JL 10"W6V3 in a sealed enclosure off of my stock type-s head unit. I know this will require the use of a LOC. My plan is to just disconnect the stock sub all together and tap into the stock sub wires for the LOC. As for the remote wire, I'm going to try to splice the factory amplifiers remote wire to my sub amp. Couple questions:

1) I've read many good things about the JL 10"W6V3, but it is a little pricey. Would anyone recommend an alternative? I was also thinking about the brother 12" instead of the 10".

2) The sub calls for 600W RMS. Any amp recommendations? I know that some manufacturers under rate their subs but I am not familiar with JL products. I know some manufacturers do the exact opposite and overrate their subs as well. I've always been told that it's better to over power your subs than to under power them.

3) For people with personal experience with this sub, any recommendations on a good sealed enclosure for it?

4) I know there are some high end and low end LOC. I don't mean that in terms of signal, I mean it in price. Is there a hometown favorite for LOCs here on Acurazine?

I've installed systems in two different cars before so I've already got a pretty good handle on everything but I know there are some major audiophiles on this forum that laugh at mainstream manufacturers so I wanted to get some input from you guys.

As always, thanks for the help!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
I do not believe the OEM amp remote on has enough voltage to trigger most amps. just get an amp that senses high level input and your good . The RF BLD is a good quality line driver that can be found at a decent price.

I only have JL amps, no personal experience with the W6V3
The following users liked this post:
JJH (06-18-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by JJH
I'll keep this short and simple as I know there are tons of similar threads. Mine are specific to a few things that I couldn't find answers on though.

I'm going to be adding a JL 10"W6V3 in a sealed enclosure off of my stock type-s head unit. I know this will require the use of a LOC. My plan is to just disconnect the stock sub all together and tap into the stock sub wires for the LOC. As for the remote wire, I'm going to try to splice the factory amplifiers remote wire to my sub amp. Couple questions:

1) I've read many good things about the JL 10"W6V3, but it is a little pricey. Would anyone recommend an alternative? I was also thinking about the brother 12" instead of the 10".

2) The sub calls for 600W RMS. Any amp recommendations? I know that some manufacturers under rate their subs but I am not familiar with JL products. I know some manufacturers do the exact opposite and overrate their subs as well. I've always been told that it's better to over power your subs than to under power them. Look at a JL XD600/1. power wise it is spot on and will not require an LOC. The under/over powering thing is a whole different can of worms. more than is worth getting into here. For your question, stick with and amp that has an RMS rating right around that of the sub.

3) For people with personal experience with this sub, any recommendations on a good sealed enclosure for it? Both the 10" and 12" are fantastic speakers. Sealed they are really accurate and punchy. Poerted they sound great and flat hammer. Stick w/ the JL rec. spec for both.

4) I know there are some high end and low end LOC. I don't mean that in terms of signal, I mean it in price. Is there a hometown favorite for LOCs here on Acurazine? Yeah, don't use one.

I've installed systems in two different cars before so I've already got a pretty good handle on everything but I know there are some major audiophiles on this forum that laugh at mainstream manufacturers so I wanted to get some input from you guys. People that laugh at or look down on JL are ignorant or trolling. While some may not like how their products sound (which is fine, sound is totally subjective) their products are some of the best engineered and manufactured products in the industry. While some consider them "mainstream" as a company they are miniscule in size compared to people like Sony, Alpine, JVC/Kenwood, and Pioner for example.

As always, thanks for the help!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:15 PM
JJH
Drifting

Thanks for the help fellas. I've purchased the JL 10" W6V3. Now I just need an enclosure, wiring kit, and amplifier.

Any comments on this wiring kit? Reviews look awesome on Amazon.

Amazon.com: DB Link PK4Z 4 Gauge Power Series Amplifier Installation Kit: Electronics Amazon.com: DB Link PK4Z 4 Gauge Power Series Amplifier Installation Kit: Electronics

And I think that I'm going to go with this amplifier:

http://creativecaraudio.net/p/jl-audio-xd600-1-b

Now just trying to find a sealed enclosure to meet these specs:

Last edited by JJH; 06-19-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by JJH
Thanks for the help fellas. I've purchased the JL 10" W6V3. Now I just need an enclosure, wiring kit, and amplifier.

Any comments on this wiring kit? Reviews look awesome on Amazon.

Amazon.com: DB Link PK4Z 4 Gauge Power Series Amplifier Installation Kit: Electronics

And I think that I'm going to go with this amplifier:

http://creativecaraudio.net/p/jl-audio-xd600-1-b

Now just trying to find a sealed enclosure to meet these specs:

FYI, that power wire kit is probably closer to 6 ga than 4 ga.
JJH (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 04:12 PM
JJH
Drifting

Originally Posted by DiamondJoeQuimby
FYI, that power wire kit is probably closer to 6 ga than 4 ga.
Ended up going with this one:
Amazon.com: KnuKonceptz Kolossus 4 Gauge OFC Amplifier Installation Kit: Car Electronics Amazon.com: KnuKonceptz Kolossus 4 Gauge OFC Amplifier Installation Kit: Car Electronics
Old 06-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
knukonceptz is way better!
JJH (06-22-2013)