Cleansweep/Audiocontrol Matrix, LC6/8 Confusion...PLease Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleansweep/Audiocontrol Matrix, LC6/8 Confusion...PLease Help

OK everyone I have been searching the forum on the topic of the signal boost needed to help with the aftermarket system being put in the TL's. I am taking my JL equipm from my 2000 TL and putting it in my 05 TL. WHat I am confused about is what I need. I understand what the Cleansweep and Matrix do but I am getting confused on how it effects the 5.1 surround. This is what I know (or think I know)

THe Cleansweep cancels out the 5.1 but does a great job with boosting the signal. But how can you run 7 speakers (2 tweeter, 2 fronts, 2 rear, and sub) off of it , being a four channel booster?

As for the Matrix/LC6/LC8. I am not understanding these at all. I believe the Matrix is a 6 channel as is the LC6, so wouldn't that still leave one speaker out, say the sub for example. So would the LC* (8 channel) be the solution as it would cover all 8 speakers in the car and we could keep 5.1 with no problems???????

Basically I would like to keep the 5.1 if I am going to be spending around the same as I would for the CLeansweep, which my shop said would cost me $350.

THanks for the help, I have no idea how much the AUdiocontrol equip cost and am curious about if one of the Audiocontrol could save the 5.1. THanks for the help
Old 12-05-2005, 11:08 PM
2005 WDP TL

tweeters + mids = front channels.....tweeters arent a seperate channel.

You wont miss the 5.1 when it is gone. Only DVD-as use it and I believe that the surround on DVD-As is reengineered stereo.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:42 AM
Instructor

So do DVD-A's play the 5.1 properly as in directing properly to all the correct speakers?

If they are not a seperate channel, then you would still have 5.1 capabilities with the Matrix or LC6...correct?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrown55
OK everyone I have been searching the forum on the topic of the signal boost needed to help with the aftermarket system being put in the TL's. I am taking my JL equipm from my 2000 TL and putting it in my 05 TL. WHat I am confused about is what I need. I understand what the Cleansweep and Matrix do but I am getting confused on how it effects the 5.1 surround. This is what I know (or think I know)

THe Cleansweep cancels out the 5.1 but does a great job with boosting the signal. But how can you run 7 speakers (2 tweeter, 2 fronts, 2 rear, and sub) off of it , being a four channel booster?

As for the Matrix/LC6/LC8. I am not understanding these at all. I believe the Matrix is a 6 channel as is the LC6, so wouldn't that still leave one speaker out, say the sub for example. So would the LC* (8 channel) be the solution as it would cover all 8 speakers in the car and we could keep 5.1 with no problems???????

Basically I would like to keep the 5.1 if I am going to be spending around the same as I would for the CLeansweep, which my shop said would cost me $350.

THanks for the help, I have no idea how much the AUdiocontrol equip cost and am curious about if one of the Audiocontrol could save the 5.1. THanks for the help

I have been doing my research too. Here's what I think I know.

There are six audio channels in the TL.

1. Left Front (mids and tweeter with crossover)
2. Right Front (mids and tweeter with crossover)
3. Center
4. Left Rear
5. Right Rear
6. Sub

The OEM signal is boosted or alter at the highs and lows by the head unit to complensate for system weaknesses. Cleansweep cleans up the OEM signal by straighting out the reponse curve of the OEM headunit. This is great but you need to use a seperate volume switch for it and it is only 4 channel. You will not get the benefits for a 5.1 system unless you add 2 cleansweeps.

The Matrix is a 6 channel signal booster. Since the OEM signal from the head unit is very weak the matrix can boost the signal b4 it gets to the new amps. It does nothing to alter the signal it only boosts it. The matirx can handle the six channels of the TL.

I believe the LC6 and LC8 are signal reducers. They take the signal from the amp and bring it down to a lower level that can be handle by your new amps.

I am also doing an upgrade. I am adding a matrix. I am taking out the stock amp. I am adding a JL Audio e6450 six channel amp for the 5 speakers and and JL Audio e2150 amp, bridged, for the sub. The speakers will be CDTs all around.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Instructor

King of Pain...left you PM
Old 12-06-2005, 10:10 PM
2005 WDP TL

Originally Posted by King of Pain
I have been doing my research too. Here's what I think I know.

There are six audio channels in the TL.

1. Left Front (mids and tweeter with crossover)
2. Right Front (mids and tweeter with crossover)
3. Center
4. Left Rear
5. Right Rear
6. Sub

The OEM signal is boosted or alter at the highs and lows by the head unit to complensate for system weaknesses. Cleansweep cleans up the OEM signal by straighting out the reponse curve of the OEM headunit. This is great but you need to use a seperate volume switch for it and it is only 4 channel. You will not get the benefits for a 5.1 system unless you add 2 cleansweeps.

The Matrix is a 6 channel signal booster. Since the OEM signal from the head unit is very weak the matrix can boost the signal b4 it gets to the new amps. It does nothing to alter the signal it only boosts it. The matirx can handle the six channels of the TL.

I believe the LC6 and LC8 are signal reducers. They take the signal from the amp and bring it down to a lower level that can be handle by your new amps.

I am also doing an upgrade. I am adding a matrix. I am taking out the stock amp. I am adding a JL Audio e6450 six channel amp for the 5 speakers and and JL Audio e2150 amp, bridged, for the sub. The speakers will be CDTs all around.

I hope this helps.

Couple of points......the sub is the .1 of a channel not the sixth channel as it is not full range. The cleansweep supports a 4.1 channel system if you dedicate a channel for your sub. As for the Matrix, I am not real familiar with that piece but I dont see why it is necessary if it makes no signal correction.....there are many less expensive ways to get line level (rca) inputs for the amps.

Also...just wondering are you using the 6 channel to amplify the center? If so you will be leaving one channel on the amp open which is not good for the amp. Also I have heard through a local shop that that specific JL amp has had problems and they have quit selling it. I considered it, they sold me the Alpine, which I love.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Instructor

So what exactly does the LC6 do to the signal vs what the Cleansweep does to the signal?

It is sounding to me like the Cleansweep is supposedly doing something to the signal that the LC6 does not (which is apprently better) but what exactly is being done by the Cleansweep that is so great.

All I am understanding at this point is they both BOOST the signal, which is what we want...right? So why spend twice the money for less channels?

PLEASE help me understand this....driving me crazy
Old 12-07-2005, 01:21 PM
2005 WDP TL

Originally Posted by rbrown55
So what exactly does the LC6 do to the signal vs what the Cleansweep does to the signal?

It is sounding to me like the Cleansweep is supposedly doing something to the signal that the LC6 does not (which is apprently better) but what exactly is being done by the Cleansweep that is so great.

All I am understanding at this point is they both BOOST the signal, which is what we want...right? So why spend twice the money for less channels?

PLEASE help me understand this....driving me crazy
The Factory system actually equalizes the system (boosts bass or treble based upon the volume level to compensate for faults in the system (cheap speakers)) The cleansweep removes this equalization so that the signal is "clean" when it is sent to your higher quality amps and speakers. The Matrix does nothing but boosts a bad signal.....not saying it is a bad piece I just am much more familiar with the cleansweep and how it operates.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kyle-wdp
Couple of points......the sub is the .1 of a channel not the sixth channel as it is not full range. The cleansweep supports a 4.1 channel system if you dedicate a channel for your sub. As for the Matrix, I am not real familiar with that piece but I dont see why it is necessary if it makes no signal correction.....there are many less expensive ways to get line level (rca) inputs for the amps.

Also...just wondering are you using the 6 channel to amplify the center? If so you will be leaving one channel on the amp open which is not good for the amp. Also I have heard through a local shop that that specific JL amp has had problems and they have quit selling it. I considered it, they sold me the Alpine, which I love.
Good point. The sub is not considered a real channel but you do have to dedicated a line to it and amp it too. From what I understand the signel coming from the head unit is very weak and it needs to be increased to make it usable for the amps. This is considered a low level signal.

What does leaving one channel open do to the amp? My other option to is used a 4 channel amp and a 2 channel amp.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:45 AM
Instructor

Ok well this is what i have from my 00' TL that I am putting in my 05'.

JL 300/4 & 500/1
JL 2 10" Subs
Jl Fronts and back (dun member the sizes)
Adding JL Tweeters VR series

So I guess if I add the cleansweep then I will be all set RIGHT?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kyle,

I'm assuming you aren't amping your center channel then? You have an Alpine 5 channel amp, 4 for the fronts and rears and one for sub? Which model amp do you have? Do you still have your center channel connected through the factory amp? How do DVD-Audio discs sound?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:11 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

rbrown55: Maybe this will help
My Ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2184473/1

I got a similar system to what you mentioned above and it KICKS ASS.... sounds so much better than the stock TL system. I personally didnt need 2 subs, so i just got one good 12" eclipse sub. The Cleansweep is amazing... it really makes the system shine!!!

if you have any other specific questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:23 AM
2005 WDP TL

King of Pain - actually a low level signal is what you want going to the amp......high level goes to the speakers. I am not aware of any problems with this signal, the factory amp is getting a low level signal.

RBrown - awesome equipment! I would purchase a Cleansweep but not more tweeters, they aren't necessary (unless you just want some "tick")

Zax - Out of the 4 DVD-A discs I own, I only really like one of them. My center channel isn't amped and actually it has been turned off since before my system was installed. When not playing a dvda the center is actually just playing front channel music, which really isnt that great for staging.
For good staging many audio competitors place the speakers in the kick panel areas of the car. If you close your eyes while listening to these systems you can imagine exaclty where the instruments are on the stage directly in front of you as if you were attending a concert. With extra tweeters and misplaced seperated it makes the sound seem like it is coming from behind you or above you. This is also the reason many competitors dont use rear speakers......i did just for a little more volume and my tweeters on the dash are also disconnected.

Hope that helps anyone......
Old 12-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Instructor

So most of you guys are not usng the tweeter at all?

Wouldn't the tweets add a nice crisp high and sound?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:09 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

rbrown55: of course i am using tweeters... you put components up front (mid range and tweeters) JL Audio XR650 CSI's !!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 08:37 PM
2005 WDP TL

you can definitely use seperates...I guess I misunderstood that you were adding additional tweeters........sorry.
I elected not to use seperates because I dont like the factory tweeter placement....just my personal preference and nothing more.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Instructor

I see, well my JL have the adjustable tweeter on them, think they are the vr series maybe. dont rememeber. but i love the highs cause i have alot of bass.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:34 PM
2005 WDP TL

the vr and xr jl components are nice, but I don't think I have ever heard a prettier sounding speaker than Focal. They are silky smooth. I know some don't like that they don't ting.....but they are pretty.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kyle-wdp
King of Pain - actually a low level signal is what you want going to the amp......high level goes to the speakers. I am not aware of any problems with this signal, the factory amp is getting a low level signal.

RBrown - awesome equipment! I would purchase a Cleansweep but not more tweeters, they aren't necessary (unless you just want some "tick")

Zax - Out of the 4 DVD-A discs I own, I only really like one of them. My center channel isn't amped and actually it has been turned off since before my system was installed. When not playing a dvda the center is actually just playing front channel music, which really isnt that great for staging.
For good staging many audio competitors place the speakers in the kick panel areas of the car. If you close your eyes while listening to these systems you can imagine exaclty where the instruments are on the stage directly in front of you as if you were attending a concert. With extra tweeters and misplaced seperated it makes the sound seem like it is coming from behind you or above you. This is also the reason many competitors dont use rear speakers......i did just for a little more volume and my tweeters on the dash are also disconnected.

Hope that helps anyone......
kyle wdp

Here is a link to an older thread which explains my thoughts better. This member did a very good analysis of the factory amp. The low level signal is too low which may cause excessive noise. Raising the signal will raise the noise floor and give you a cleaner sound to your amp. There are 2 ways to get the signal from the head unit to the new amps, either before the stock amp or after the stock amp. Before the stock amp will give you a better signal but there is a need to boost it. The signal after the amp will give you distortion problems of the factory amp. The matrix is made to used for the signal before the amp and the LC6 is used for the signal after the amp. I think you're right about the tweeter placement

I am aiming for good balance of crisp highs, real mids and punchy tight bass. I am a musician. I play guitar. I have two sons, one is a drummer and the other is a sax player. I have been around live music most of my life. I also consider myself a home audiophile and I try to go for the most realistic sound possible in my home equipment too. Trying to do this in a car is more of a challenge because there are more variables and more noise to deal with.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=diagram
Old 12-13-2005, 12:47 PM
2005 WDP TL

Originally Posted by King of Pain
kyle wdp

Here is a link to an older thread which explains my thoughts better. This member did a very good analysis of the factory amp. The low level signal is too low which may cause excessive noise. Raising the signal will raise the noise floor and give you a cleaner sound to your amp. There are 2 ways to get the signal from the head unit to the new amps, either before the stock amp or after the stock amp. Before the stock amp will give you a better signal but there is a need to boost it. The signal after the amp will give you distortion problems of the factory amp. The matrix is made to used for the signal before the amp and the LC6 is used for the signal after the amp. I think you're right about the tweeter placement

I am aiming for good balance of crisp highs, real mids and punchy tight bass. I am a musician. I play guitar. I have two sons, one is a drummer and the other is a sax player. I have been around live music most of my life. I also consider myself a home audiophile and I try to go for the most realistic sound possible in my home equipment too. Trying to do this in a car is more of a challenge because there are more variables and more noise to deal with.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=diagram
I think you and I have very similar tastes!.....I managed a car audio store for four years.....and my Dad and Brother have bands. I see what the purpose is for the Matrix now.......

I am using the cleansweep but am changing my Alpine amp to the JL 5 channel. My one complaint about my system is the gains on the amp can't be set low enough to achieve silence at zero bit sound, and my ten isn't quite doing what it should, of course it is battling a fully dynamatted trunk that the rear eight never had to.......I think as always more power is necessary.