Cleaning Up The Wiring....Options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Cleaning Up The Wiring....Options?

Well this forum is pretty dead right now so I figure I'll add a little somethin. My wiring is just downright awesome right now . It's nasty to even think about, let alone look at. So I'd like to get some options on what to do to clean this up look nice.

1. On the box: I hear this isn't recommended b/c of the vibrations so I won't do that. It'd be super easy to do but I don't want premature amplifier component failure due to my laziness lol

Any pics of setups that could work for our cars would be great. I thought about removing the spare and making a board the shape of that spare area to put everything on that. I know I'd get a flat the day I do that though.

Beware....

For reference, this is the 3.06cuft. sealed box from SonicElectronix. Doesn't take up "too much" space and is still on the larger side of (2) 12's sealed. It's about 4" away from the rear seats

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 09-30-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Got The Midas Touch

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Idk how you would feel about doing this but my car came with the rubber mat for the trunk and I basically have it over my amplifier (Infinity Kappa 5) and it covers everything, however it would depend on how hot your amps get, mine hasn't had a problem with overheating so far like that and unless your really looking for the bump in the corner you can't tell where it is.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I have done a few installs and here and there and If i came across that I would guess the wires are to short to actually run them like the are suppose to be run. don't feel bad the back of my dodge looks the same way.
A: if the wires are to short to mount the amp on the box or back of seat or what ever mounting method you prefer and still clean it up I would go with the mat cover up.
B: yank out the wiring mount the stuff where you want it and run the wire like it should be behind the carpeting. they make flat wires or other wiring cover to help make it look neat.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the issue the fact that you can see all the wires or that it bothers you that back there in the trunk, there are loose wires all over the place.

If you want to fix that up, its gonna take time. I would reroute all the wires to one side of the car. Probably the side with the sub box terminal, and I personally have always loved zip ties so you can use those, that way there will be one solid chunk of wire back there or i would route through the side panels. you can always just make a beauty panel to cover up the box and wires.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Wires are routed like they should be.....power on one side and everything else on another. Wires a plenty long enough as they are zip-tied and them some under the floor board. More than enough just for that reason. What bothers me is that it's taking up unnecessary space and looks awful. I mean I've got a few idea's but just wanted to see what people have done on here or what cool installs are out there.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Man your box is huge. Sort of looks like my trunk. I never could be bothered to properly mount my 3sixty.2, so wires galore. I'm lazy and would just screw it to the sub box and call it a day myself. Not the right way of course.

Maybe fab an amp rack that hang above the sub under the rear deck?
Old 10-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
I think your best bet is to remove all the wiring and reinstall one by one, when I install a stereo I do it one wire at a time to only the length that I need, that will keep your clutter down. Also, black zip tie bases and wire loom can really clean up an install IMO. I like drilling a pilot hole for the base and securing it with a screw through the hole in the middle. That will keep your wires routed nice and organized.

So to sum it up.......uninstall wiring, reinstall one at a time not using any excess wiring.

Here's the install I did in my old car for example:

Old 10-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

I dunno about re-wiring everything. There's always somewhere to hide the excess wires, especially in a car. I'm running active so that's easily over 100ft of wire between everything, 0ga power and ground, etc....that'd be expensive lol. You're install looks clean but no way could I do that. My MB wouldn't fit on the rear seats and they be subject to the same kind of vibration if I would have put them on the box.

With my box size, 2 amps, 3sixty.2...I'm starting to give serious thought to the spare tire area idea. It'd look clean! Only worry there is air flow........and a flat tire obviously

Edit: just came across my old truck pics on a site and it had my old system. Not a bad first system at all, especially paid for by me at 16. No reason to post...just thought it was funny to see.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 10-02-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
I dunno about re-wiring everything. There's always somewhere to hide the excess wires, especially in a car. I'm running active so that's easily over 100ft of wire between everything, 0ga power and ground, etc....that'd be expensive lol. You're install looks clean but no way could I do that. My MB wouldn't fit on the rear seats and they be subject to the same kind of vibration if I would have put them on the box.

With my box size, 2 amps, 3sixty.2...I'm starting to give serious thought to the spare tire area idea. It'd look clean! Only worry there is air flow........and a flat tire obviously

Edit: just came across my old truck pics on a site and it had my old system. Not a bad first system at all, especially paid for by me at 16. No reason to post...just thought it was funny to see.

What kind of truck is that?? looks similar to the system I've got in my s-10...used shallow subs
Old 10-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Reg cab '03 f150. It had 2 Digital Design 3510e subs in that ported box tuned to 32hz. Each getting about 900rms and that's on the low side for those lol. Great subs and built like a damn tank. My setup now is 10x all around better though
Old 10-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Advanced

This was my answer to messy wiring. Everything is just in the back on the sides of the actual box. That board is pressure fitted so i can take it off whenever I please.

Last edited by kirill1221; 10-02-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: felt like it
Old 10-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

That was another thought I had. What I've been pondering is, since I have a good amount of space above my box, I thought about buying some sort of vibration mat or vibration mounts. If I made an mdf board the size of the top of my box and then put some sort of vibration mat/mounts between the two it might work. It'd look like they were on the box but they wouldn't vibrate "as much", if nearly at all. I thought about doing that and then installing a board like you have that is just a wall, since my subs face the cabin. It'd probably lessen the amount of trunk rattle if I could get it sealed up good and tight like yours...plus I can keep my spare just in case.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Advanced

For me the main thing was to have a box that would only extend out to that fold in the floor to lift it up to get to the spare. That way, i wouldn't have to move anything around because thats the last thing you need when you get a flat tire.

If you want to do it on top, I would prob just take that whole liner off up there and fab a box up in place of it. That way it wouldn't touch your sub box at all. It would also double up as a seal for the rear deck I would imagine. This would reduce the stress on your rear deck speakers as well because there wouldn't be added pressure pushing on them.

I doubt it would help the trunk rattle much since that board would be held on by the friction of the trunk liner, but maybe if it was wrapped with some sort of rubber seal on the perimeter, then it might serve that purpose.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Advanced

I wouldn't worry too much about the vibrations if you mount the amps on the box either. Another option would be to get a shallower box built that way it would sit deeper in the trunk. Then maybe make a panel like I have and mount the amps onto the panel. Just run the wires neatly into the panel and have them just chill out inside. That way, The amps are getting air flow, The wires are hidden, and it looks aesthetically pleasing.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by kirill1221
I wouldn't worry too much about the vibrations if you mount the amps on the box either. Another option would be to get a shallower box built that way it would sit deeper in the trunk. Then maybe make a panel like I have and mount the amps onto the panel. Just run the wires neatly into the panel and have them just chill out inside. That way, The amps are getting air flow, The wires are hidden, and it looks aesthetically pleasing.

Vibrations are a HUGE issue with amps. I can't tell you how many people on DIYMA rebuild amps and have said that these little components fall off or stop working and when they ask the person they say they were mounted on the box. Definitely not getting a different box as w6's like 1.5 of airspace. Another thing I don't like about mounting on a box is it just makes it that much easier for criminals...
Old 10-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Plastic flexible conduit: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=wirin...Go9S8Dw&zoom=1
The smaller the better.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:13 PM
07 WDP TL Type S

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
this is how Ive done my setup, keeps wires clean, and everything is out of the way so I still can actually use my trunk. (my trunks kinda messy)
Attached Thumbnails Cleaning Up The Wiring....Options?-img_3742.jpg   Cleaning Up The Wiring....Options?-img_3744.jpg   Cleaning Up The Wiring....Options?-img_3743.jpg  
Old 10-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

I think this is my newest and most logical idea. I can keep the spare in the car, though getting to it might be a PITA.

My idea is to take some thin (1/2" or so) MDF/etc and build a rectangular bottom board that will sit up near the box and all the way to the trunk. Kinda like a false floor is what I'm going after. Carpet that piece and put everything on it neatly so it looks nice. Then I'd either like to add another piece atop that one so it looks like there's nothing there OR add plexiglass along the whole thing. This way I can still put things back there...it will just raise the trunk floor behind the box a few inches.

Here's my awesome 30second rendering . Then I will have another board on top of that.