Cell Phone Mirroring w/ Navigation

Old 10-09-2017, 12:59 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cell Phone Mirroring w/ Navigation

Hey guys I'm posting on here to see if anyone was successfully implemented an idea I've been tossing around in my head. I was thinking of putting in a car PC and just tying into the factory lcd but have read mixed feedback of the screen being hard to read and then managing the shut off and turn on of the PC. I was originally gonna go with a raspberry pi and then a video signal converter and tap into the resistive touch screen.

But now I am thinking instead of the PC if I could use an MHL enabled phone like a S5 with the mimic G4 like in this video. https://youtu.be/lpL1krZvyEE . Then replace the factory lcd with a new touchscreen with a USB interface and a video card that could convert the factory 15k hz singal to vga and then the mimic g4 should send the touchscreen events to the factory system. This way the mimic g4 would control the switching over and I would keep all factory features. This way I don't have to account for a PC in the car and if it will drain battery or if it freezes up but it's hidden hard to get to. I just plug my phone in and go. If I don't plug it in I can just use the factory system with no problems.

What do you guys think? Is it possible? Have you done something similar I would like to hear about it.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:04 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Huawei HiKey960 + 7 inch touch screen = Android 8.0 custom cardroid
Old 10-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts
The factory screen is shit-tastically bad.. If you're going to do it, might as well swap in an Android tablet
Old 10-09-2017, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi
The factory screen is shit-tastically bad.. If you're going to do it, might as well swap in an Android tablet
Go even further with the HiKey960 + 7Inch touch screen.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:11 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
Go even further with the HiKey960 + 7Inch touch screen.
But it's still a dedicated PC that is going to need management and some sort of internet connection to do everything I would want it to. My phone would already have that and all my latest music. Do you have a link from the 7" screen? I thought the factory one was an 8" 2005 Acura TL Navigation Screen
Old 10-12-2017, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Opporlando
But it's still a dedicated PC that is going to need management and some sort of internet connection to do everything I would want it to. My phone would already have that and all my latest music. Do you have a link from the 7" screen?
the hikey 960 has a WiFi chip.
You can create a hotspot using your phone's LTE connection and "share" it to the hikey 960.
A 7inch tablet fits perfectly in place. So I'm assuming a 7 inch screen will also be just right.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:05 PM
Cruisin'

Hey guys I got some more updates.

I found another thread that has implemented this GA-Net+ Acura / Honda - car bus, monitor, buttons, carPC - Adapter

Here is the link to the thread 2007 Honda Odyssey with Factory Navigation - MP3Car.com

Obviously this is for a car pc but you can program the factory buttons to control the car PC which is cool.

If I can use the same drivers on my phone then I might use this interface.

I am working with an electrical engineer on a custom circuit to see if we can accomplish something similar.

The extra factory unit is sitting at my house. I will update later with what I found. But if you are going with a Car PC I recommned the GA-Net +

Also to the admins thank you for enabling this account. I wasn't trying to create multiple. I messed up my email when first registering but it is all fixed now!
Old 10-13-2017, 06:36 PM
Cruisin'

Alright I finally got around to taking apart the factory unit. It is made of some quality parts. I took some high quality photos so anyone else on this adventure can benefit.

You can view the entire 70 image album here. https://imgur.com/a/r5gSV

The images are still loading. I am off to do some research on all the new part numbers I found. I will update with more information once I do.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:41 PM
Cruisin'

updated image link https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...3pXMENBSW9VcVE
Old 10-14-2017, 05:28 PM
Cruisin'

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-v...-346909/page7/

In case anyone is secretly following. I found this thread were other people were actually able to hack into the factory IEbus and read the events happening in real time. He was able to read the events from the touchscreen and use them to control his CarPc its a great read and the project is open source to help anyone going with that route. It does you to know some programming as you would have to load everything onto a PC and start programming events. But by hacking into the bus you could use factory buttons such as the buttons on your steering wheel or seek buttons to control your CarPC not just the touchscreen itself. Unfortunately the guy got to busy and moved on. But maybe his work will help someone in the future. As for my project. I have a very basic rough diagram of everything I think it will take to do what I want.

I will start by replacing the factory screen and then building some custom boards to accomplish what I want. This is a rough diagram with some minimum requirements that I wanted to share in case anyone has any input.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:55 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I have chromecast installed that has cell phone mirroring, with a hotspot in my car, i can screencast youtube, audio, videos. I can switch between the 2 and still retain factory navigation. Was that what you were looking for?
The following users liked this post:
Robin Konegni (01-02-2019)
Old 10-25-2017, 01:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by chardness
I have chromecast installed that has cell phone mirroring, with a hotspot in my car, i can screencast youtube, audio, videos. I can switch between the 2 and still retain factory navigation. Was that what you were looking for?
What are you using to switch between the video signals? and it has an HDMI input or are you converting to RGB?

You have somewhat of the setup I am going for. I found a couple of devices that together accomplish what I would like but I am still working with the engineer to create something that is an all in one.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:17 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm sure i'm missing a couple of things but below is what I have bought mostly from eBay. I use Localcast app on my Android phone to cast music, videos, Youtube, etc. Total cost was around $200 something.

$8 - Mini Composite 1080P HDMI to RCA Audio Video AV CVBS Converter Adapter For TV

$169 - 2004-2008 Acura TL Navigation Video Interface Add TV DVD iPod Backup Camera

$6 - Black 19mm 12V Blue LED power&Angel Symbol Momentary Switch With socket Plug

$1 - 3.5mm 1/8 Stereo Male Mini Plug to 2 Female RCA Jack Adapter Audio Y Cable

Google Chromecast 1st gen

$4 - 6M Car RCA Reversing Camera Video Cable With Reversing/Backup Detecting Wire

Setting it up is easy, you can use this Youtube instruction:

Last edited by chardness; 10-26-2017 at 03:21 AM. Reason: typo

Search this Thread