CD Player Died...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Make it so

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
Thumbs up CD Player Died...

First off, yes, I did check the forums using the search feature. I found similar problems, but nothing that gave any kind of definitive answer and I wanted to see if anyone got updated info.

To start, I bought my TL just a month ago (2004 Black AT) and everything was working fantastic. Then, about a week and a half ago, my CD player just croaked. More specifically, it was playing CDs just fine (including burned CDs), and then when I switched between that and the radio, the entire audio system straight up shut down. Radio, XM, etc. Everything.

Kinda odd. I couldn't turn it back on (the navigation was still working just fine), but I ended up just pulling over, turning the car off and on again, and the audio system turned back on. So I had to use an iTrip for the rest of my hiatus down to Salt Lake City (two hours, ugh) and I was baffled as to what happened with the CD player.

Well I kept trying it, and it will change CDs and it will display what disc it's reading, but it goes between identifying Track 01 on the CDs to not reading them all, just hanging there having me stare at the disc number.

It sporadically worked for a few minutes the other day, but besides that the CD player just won't work at all. I've read some posts that suggested I would have to pay out of the wazoo to get the entire unit replaced at a dealership, but if I can avoid that, even better (I am a college student, so you can imagine I don't enjoy having to go into dealerships for service).

Some additional info: it will eject my CDs (they are not stuck in there), and this happens on both CD-Rs and regular commercial CDs. I asked the previous owners and they had no problems whatsoever, since they used the CD player all the time (this I know for a fact). I know they didn't see this coming, and they are offering to give me some cash that will go towards replacing the unit (very nice of them).

Any ideas? Experience?

Much appreciated, guys!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this happen a few months ago, car was fine when I left it at the airport, broken when I got back. Took it to a local really nice audio shop and they fixed it for $200. its a very similar changer to one that is used in ALOT of cars plus the DVD-A. Dealer wanted something outrageous to fix it. They recovered most of my cds, but the changer itself had self destructed crushing a couple cds.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Make it so

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
Thumbs up

Just an update, for anyone else that might encounter this problem:

When I called Acura yesterday about my NAV/Radio codes, they did tell me that from their view, it would require a trip to the dealership. I'm not excited to have to drop a crazy amount of money on just them opening it and probably pushing a button for it to work again.

So jwclements1, was it the changer on yours that gave you the problem? My changer has no issues, it just won't read the CD's, so I'm not sure if mine will require replacing any parts. It's almost like the CD player runs in circles thinking about what to do when I ask it to play a CD.

Thanks again
Old 10-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
You can get a used radio one off of ebay.. for around 200.00 + shipping.. i just saw like 4 of them on ebay.. not too hard to swap out. There are instructions in the TL Garage.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh, well if it can't read them then the optical head it probably what's dead which is part of the changer mechanism. (at least thats what it looked like when I was looking at my stereo when it was in 20 pieces) I'm no expert, but I think its a different hardware problem.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well it looks as if my CD changer just died. Ughhh. This sucks!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
what do I actually need to change to get the CD player working again?