Carputer + wife = FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Carputer + wife = FAIL

So I got pulled over sat. on my way to class, found out my license is suspended but Im not worried, 1st offense, DMV suspended not the courts.

I got pulled over for tint so I have been driving my wife's RDX and she has been driving my freshly computerized 07 type-s. She is 6 months pregnant n has mood swings like charlie sheen. I piss her off on the phone and she "tries to throw the phone on the ground but misses". Guess what she hit and cracked into a thousand pieces. The navi/carputer screen. I come home and she is crying and I ask why. She says "what's more important than me?" I say the baby and immediately think something is seriously wrong. Nope. "your car" <-- WTF right. She made me madder assuming my car was the end all of my life. #1 hobby not #1 2 or 3 reasons I wake up in the morning.

Anyways, I can't seem to bring myself to order another stock touchscreen so I bought an 8" liliput. Xenarc is higher quality but I knew it wouldn't be the only purchase of the day.

So I guess what I'm asking is, how would you guys go about retaining the most factory features with an aftermarket screen?

I've seen on Ebay a few RGBs converters for old arcades I think will work to get the nav signal to the new screen. I dont know however, how i will switch between the two inputs. I def do not want to use a remote control (i think the screen comes with one). If i could send the signal to the pc first, and then up to the screen I would be okay with that, but idk if thats even possible. (computer has a DVI and HDMI output... no video inputs)

The rearview cam should be relatively easy... appearently theres a hook up in the back on the monitor, I got the wiring diagram of cam should be cake.

Even though the computer comes with bluetooth, I think I like acura's take on the whole phone thing. Well what I really mean is I dont want an aftermarket mic array messing up the clean look up front. And I would still like to use the voice activated features ie climate control and cd player. So yeah looks like I have to extend hvac wires... joystick and nav buttons... and throw the whole display back in the dash and pray it doesnt rattle.

Now if that would I would be pretty happy... nav screen up with joystick and voice inputs. BUT what would be even better and I havent done any real research on this yet would be to put the touch overlay over the aftermarket touchscreen and boom fully functional factory nav and aftermarket computer with high res video. I know the ffc from the touch overlay is about 2 in long, already got parts to extend it from the original relay driven integration.

Anyone with any kind of insights into any of my 100 or so potential problems n fixes please chime in. Ive ordered everything I think Ill need already and should be here before Xmas. Ill try to take some pics of the install so I can contribute for once
Old 12-20-2011, 12:36 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Ok. Wait.

Your car is like the #4 reason you wake up in the morning, right? I'm not sure why it's not top 3, but I'm not judging you.

:wink:

Old 12-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
You have factory navigation or a carputer?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Resident Dingo

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
I do not condone domestic violence, but... nevermind.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheDingo:
justnspace (12-20-2011), swoleCL (01-04-2012)
Old 12-20-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
I do not condone driving with a suspended license, but.......nevermind.
The following users liked this post:
TheDingo (12-20-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 11:39 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
i do not condone letting my significant other drive my TL evar, but...nevermind.
The following 2 users liked this post by SharksBreath:
justnspace (12-20-2011), Slpr04UA6 (12-29-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Resident Dingo

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
LOL

I like where this thread is going.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (12-20-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Safety Car

Definitely should have left out the extra info......
Old 12-20-2011, 01:08 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
OK, sorry I pulled this Off Topic; it was late and there wasn't much going on.

So, free bump for anyone who can actaully help the OP.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Safety Car

If he clarifies what he's got and proposing, I can probably help him.

The original post wasn't very clear to me.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Have factory nav added carputer using usb touchscreen converter n relays... Just got aftermarket screen, to keep all above features mainly video from factory nav, how should i go about it.

Amd dual core something
8 gigs of ram
80gb ssd
1 hdmi out
1 dvi out
2 usb 3.0
6 usb 2.0

On phone more details to come
Old 12-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Safety Car

Do you have a carputer integrated already with the factory navigation?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
wait, wat?

I don't care how hormonally out of whack she is. How immature is she that she starts throwing shit in your car when she is mad? What is she going to do to the kid when it pisses her off? WTF?

On a side note, just punt the stock stuff all together.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:05 AM
Instructor

I did have the carputer integrated with factory nav the way most people do it... 4 wire resistive touch to usb controller... vga to rgbs converter and a couple relays (up for sale if anyones interested)

However I didnt want to spend all that money on a replacement when I could get way better resolution from an aftermarket touchscreen. So basically instead of taking both input as rgbs I have to go in reverse.

So far I havent found anything too promising in turning the factory signal into something the new monitor can handle (RCA, VGA, DVI, or HDMI). I have spend my free time waiting for the other various parts to come in the mail and trying to fit the new touchscreen in the stock bezel.

I have some extra screens for 04-06 models laying around and got a damn near perfect fit!!!! So good as a matter of fact that board with all the connectors still fits so maybe i wont have to extend the hvac and joysitck buttons.

I believe I've read on here that the circuit card attached to the nav screen does more than send the video feed (nav clock wont work unless its hooked up, plz correct me if Im wrong)

I wont know for sure until I take the 07 screen apart but from the location of the pins/connects that connect each card to each other i think the one new connector that makes 07 and 06s different bypasses the first card all together.

Let me stop and apologize for the headache Im sure Im giving you, pictures will come soon enough.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:09 AM
Instructor

and since i gave all that extra info at the beginning, her uncle just died like 10 mins before "the incident" so Im cutting her a little slack. She will be a good mother.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Safety Car

In order to do the opposite, you've got to retain both circuit boards in the stock display unit. It has all the circuitry for the HVAC control.

It is essentially cramming both systems into one package. It's doable as I have got one sitting here next to me.

My 7" 16:4 is smaller than the stock unit so I ended up using flex bumper filler and epoxy to mold in the new display's framework.
The following 2 users liked this post by KN_TL:
05TLbase (12-25-2011), justnspace (12-22-2011)
Old 12-25-2011, 04:40 AM
Instructor

Are you attempting to keep a stock navi feed? The 8in is a perfect fit. Theres a small gap around the edges but the bezel and circuits Im messing with are from an old navi screen that didnt come with the touch overlay. I think when I take the acutal broken screen out I can get a no-gap look going on.

It def doable, Im not sure if I can get everything into the stock brackets though, I was hoping to because it seems the most secure that way and Rattles in the dash scare me.

What really sucks is how liliput all of their connectors on the same side and we had the hvac buttons that dont allow for too much other stuff going on.

Honestly I may give up for the time being on that damn stock signal. As long as voice commands work for now, I just hate leaving all those bottons and joystick there not doing a damn thing... taunting me.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 05TLbase
Are you attempting to keep a stock navi feed? The 8in is a perfect fit. Theres a small gap around the edges but the bezel and circuits Im messing with are from an old navi screen that didnt come with the touch overlay. I think when I take the acutal broken screen out I can get a no-gap look going on.

It def doable, Im not sure if I can get everything into the stock brackets though, I was hoping to because it seems the most secure that way and Rattles in the dash scare me.

What really sucks is how liliput all of their connectors on the same side and we had the hvac buttons that dont allow for too much other stuff going on.

Honestly I may give up for the time being on that damn stock signal. As long as voice commands work for now, I just hate leaving all those bottons and joystick there not doing a damn thing... taunting me.
Yes I am. Using a KVM switch to go back and forth.

I tried an 8" LCD and it is slightly larger. At the time, the rgbs to vga converter didn't sizing have capability so the stock image was cut off. I also had issues with the touch overlay working correctly.

I since then found a high brightness 7" for really cheap.

For the buttons, I just mounted them on the back and took the IR sensor and mounted it so it I can control things with the remote. You could also move it down to the compartments or something.

Last edited by KN_TL; 12-25-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Instructor

KVM switch?

I never though of moving the IR sensor, good idea. I think I found a solution for switching inputs. The touchscreen comes with a wire soldered onto the card for switching to a backup camera. NC relay with an acc switch would work nicely, if i get the stock signal in there. Otherwise Im going to have to throw an rca or something on the cam and call it a day.

Hows the mod of the navi bezel going? jw if you ever though about the non navi bezel since its a 7".
Old 12-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 05TLbase
KVM switch?

I never though of moving the IR sensor, good idea. I think I found a solution for switching inputs. The touchscreen comes with a wire soldered onto the card for switching to a backup camera. NC relay with an acc switch would work nicely, if i get the stock signal in there. Otherwise Im going to have to throw an rca or something on the cam and call it a day.

Hows the mod of the navi bezel going? jw if you ever though about the non navi bezel since its a 7".
Keyboard
Video
Mouse
Switch

Here is a thread on my work. My problem is converting the video to my liking.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/carpc-navi-integration-826972/

I want to retain the joystick and navi buttons for the navi functions

Last edited by KN_TL; 12-27-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:33 AM
Instructor

Seems like you bought the exact same rgbs converter I was looking at on Ebay... I'm wondering if I will have any better luck with a larger touch screen...hmm. I can't decide if I should pull the trigger.

I think you might have got the chinese converter I was using to go to the stock screen. It was pretty good though for the price, just needed a lot of fine tuning and a constant 12v so the settings would be remembered. It actually turned out way better than I originally expected until the phone went through it.

Im going to start the install tomorrow. I went a little overboard and bought a lot of things for my system since my wife def didnt have any say so. Im ripping everything out to do some sound deadening and replacing all my speaker wire and RCAs with shielded stuff (Not necessary but the back of my amp faceplate looks like a hot mess). So far I have been working with 04-06 navi assembly so tomorrow night Could go better or worse than expected. There does seem to be an added connector that goes straight to the circuit card closest to the lcd, so maybe I can through that one inside the dash somewhere.

What a PITA, anyone reading this, the met152 method is about 10x easier if this is possible at all. :-(
Old 01-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Well everything is in... the computer is working wonderfully and the picture looks amazing. Theres maybe a 1mm gap in between the bezel and screen but it turned out better than I was hoping for.

I haven't bought a converter to try to get the stock nav up to the new screen but I am pretty confident it will work. Without it, all navigation voice commands dont work because I need to enter the security PIN.

The back up cam is not working, I read on here yellow and black are the video feeds. Not according to my LDC. It is jumpered everywhere too, so im pretty sure it's using the signal feeds as the trigger or something. Its a pain.

I did have to cut a whole lot more than I thought. Mainly the right side of the bracket that holds the nav screen and CD player and the plastic where it screwed down inside that car, and of coarse the metal casings around the nav circuit cards.

I do have the navi clock and hvac control working perfect. If clock is ever not displaying CD info.... fuse #7. Took a good hour and a huge headache to figure that one out.