Car-PC Configuration Recommendations???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 12:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car-PC Configuration Recommendations???

Hey all! I'm digging in and designing my car PC system. Has anyone had any problems displaying from a PC to the navi display? What are your screen geometry settings set to?? Have a look at my ideas and selected hardware and shout back with any suggestions/recommendations or comments/questions.
  1. Case: Travla C137A-M1DC Black w/ (2) expansion slots
  2. Mobo: VIA EPIA MII12000
  3. RAM: 256MB DDR226 - the board supports 1GB of RAM but 256 should be fine for watching movies/listening to music/playing basic video games)
  4. OPTICAL: Slim CDRW/DVD Combo (I burn DVDs @ home but if I want to burn a play list I'll be able to)
  5. HDD: 120G 2.5" w/ 8MB Buffer

I spec'd this all out and got a price of $584 from http://www.caseoutlet.com

Since the board also has a PCMCIA card I'm be using my Belkin 102.11G wireless card to upload/download files from my HTPC at home.

It's my understanding that despite some effort last year or so no one has cracked the touch screen as a PC input device (wiring & Win nor Linux device driver) so I may use my iPAQ as a RF remote (via Niveus' "Pocket Remote Software" and WiFi to WiFi in "ad-hoc" mode) to control the Windows MCE 2k5 OS running on my CarPC. Please let me know if anyone has figured out the touch screen!!

Although I don't really play video games I'm planning to wire into the large center console compartment (under the tape deck SUGGESTIONS HERE??) a couple USB ports for a game controller/other USB devs. I'll load a PS/Nintendo emulator for my daughter to play with.

The video switcher is the multi switcher from http://www.avelectronics.com. I'm also getting the license plate frame camera from them. A cool feature of the video switch is that it will automatically flip the navi display over to rear-view cam (like automatically having the mirror tilt dn towards the curb) when you put it in reverse. I'm going to run a 3-way/single pole switch to switch between 1) rear cam ON, 2) rear cam OFF and 3) rear cam auto. I'll probably mount that out of the way on the drivers side of the center console (under your thigh to the right as your driving) SUGGESTIONS HERE??

The PC comes with a 'smart DC2DC pwr converter'. In addition to being wired to the ignition it will have a single pole/single throw switch to allow me to manually control the on/off operation.

Other mods to date include:
  1. 3M road block
  2. 3M window tint (40%)
  3. OEM wing spoiler
  4. OEM trunk tray
  5. OEM wheel locks
  6. OEM mud flaps
  7. OEM all season flr mats
  8. Curtis Manufacturing trailer hitch (frame mtd receiver for bike rack & small util trailer)

I s'pose that's all for now. Let me know what you guys think! I'll post pics & text when it's done and I have some free time.

Cheers!
Old 10-22-2005, 12:49 AM
Cruisin'

I should also note that I plan to mount the system under the subwoofer in the trunk. Hopefully the magnet on the woofer won't pose a problem. For 'shock' protection I'm thinking of using springs and bolting the unit against the springs (putting the springs around the bolts). I'll probably use some sort of rubber for additional cushioning.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:17 PM
Advanced

Very nice... couple of things.

The IPAQ idea sounds great BUT it will not be practical. Unless you plan to have a small mouse and keyboard get a touch screen like Xenarc or lilli or Dynamix like I have. Also get a smart power supply like M-1... very very wise investment. My system comes on when the car turns on and shuts down when the car is off. Also the WIFI unless you have a connection faster than 11MB the WIFI is way too slow to transfer the music and videos. I ended up getting a portable 4GB drive to transfer stuff arround. Let me know of the out come.... and last thing... THe screens we have and the ones you find on aftermarket head units like Alpine and Clarion have fewer lines of resolution so the screen on the navi may not look all that. I had a Friend try it on his Clarion headunit that was a flip out screen and the resolution was always off.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:22 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

lol...good luck with the screen my friend.

The only thing I can say is don't be cheap on the RAM...get 512 at least. You'll regret going with 256. I have 512MB in my M10K (very similar to your proposed M12K) and lately I've been thinking of upgrading to 1GB.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:27 AM
Cruisin'

Tx for the info! Since I'll basically only use the system to play movies & music I don't really need a keyboard/mouse. I to have a PS2 logitec wireless kbrd/mouse. I plan to set it up w/ Windows XP Pro so I can remote desktop to it from my home PC for file management and other activities.

I'll be using a 802.11G wireless conn (54Mbps) but if file tx is too slow I can always burn a DVD.

Yes good point - the case comes with a smart pwr supply.

Are any of the screens you mentioned designed to fit into the factory opening?

Cheers.

Originally Posted by x-mode007
Very nice... couple of things.

The IPAQ idea sounds great BUT it will not be practical. Unless you plan to have a small mouse and keyboard get a touch screen like Xenarc or lilli or Dynamix like I have. Also get a smart power supply like M-1... very very wise investment. My system comes on when the car turns on and shuts down when the car is off. Also the WIFI unless you have a connection faster than 11MB the WIFI is way too slow to transfer the music and videos. I ended up getting a portable 4GB drive to transfer stuff arround. Let me know of the out come.... and last thing... THe screens we have and the ones you find on aftermarket head units like Alpine and Clarion have fewer lines of resolution so the screen on the navi may not look all that. I had a Friend try it on his Clarion headunit that was a flip out screen and the resolution was always off.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Cruisin'

System ordered!

Here's the specs from my confirmation email from http://www.caseoutlet.com :

Products Ordered:

Travla C137A-M1DC Black
C137 Car PC system wires directly to the car battery
Two expansion Slots
Fits VIA EPIA motherboards

SKU#044-01151-M13

Price $261.00
Features/Options:
Motherboard Required VIA EPIA MII12000: SKU#072-41106-42A Add $115.00
Memory Optional DDR 512MB:SKU# 038-10512 Add $59.00
Dual Riser Card Optional Mini ITX dual riser card and extender:SKU#010-10002-0 SKU#T10-10001-0 Add $30.00
Media Drive Optional Black Slim DVDRW/DVD Combo With Adapter Add $110.00
Hard Drive Optional 120G 8MB Buffer Add $99.00
Quantity : 1
Price : $674.00
Old 10-24-2005, 11:48 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

I'd recommend a 7" Xenarc screen. I have one of their touchscreens and it is a perfect fit with a little bit a cutting on the back of the trim piece. Not to mention that the screen is excellent quality and provides a great picture- much better than the cheaper Lilliput monitors. I'm using the Xenarc 700TSV.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Racer

ITL, if you don't mind me asking can we see some pictures of your screen on (ex. playing a movie or some other program)? I've been interested into doing the CarPC but I really like the size of the factory navi so I wanted an 8" screen, is there a big difference in screen size between your touchscreen and the stock navi screen? And will I be able to fit an 8" screen into the non-navi dash or no? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-24-2005, 01:34 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by nYmALu86
ITL, if you don't mind me asking can we see some pictures of your screen on (ex. playing a movie or some other program)? I've been interested into doing the CarPC but I really like the size of the factory navi so I wanted an 8" screen, is there a big difference in screen size between your touchscreen and the stock navi screen? And will I be able to fit an 8" screen into the non-navi dash or no? Thanks in advance!

Check out more right here
Old 10-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Racer

ITL, WOW that is just amazing! I wish I can find some1 to do that for me.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:29 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by nYmALu86
ITL, WOW that is just amazing! I wish I can find some1 to do that for me.
just drive to Atlanta
Old 10-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Cruisin'

ITL, I'm hoping to continue using the factory navi system and just have my display toggle over to the other video (PC and rearview camera) as desired.

I'd be interested in buying the display from Xenarc if I could keep the console as-is with the menu, setup, toggle knob, etc. in place. It's pretty sweet that the Xenarc has the VGA video input on it! Does anyone manufacture a 'OEM-mountable' screen for the 3rd generation TLs? I suppose that would be my ideal solution.

I have to say that your stuff does look pretty sharp. Nice install. Why didn't you mount your PC in the trunk? I'm hoping to mount mine under the subwoofer - hopefully I don't come across any magnetic sheilding issues.

Comp USA has a mini keyboard (http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...746&pfp=BROWSE) that you can roll up. Unfortunately there's no touch pad/track ball and it is a wired device. Center console storage perhaps?
Old 10-26-2005, 08:17 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by jeff05tl
ITL, I'm hoping to continue using the factory navi system and just have my display toggle over to the other video (PC and rearview camera) as desired.

I'd be interested in buying the display from Xenarc if I could keep the console as-is with the menu, setup, toggle knob, etc. in place. It's pretty sweet that the Xenarc has the VGA video input on it! Does anyone manufacture a 'OEM-mountable' screen for the 3rd generation TLs? I suppose that would be my ideal solution.

I have to say that your stuff does look pretty sharp. Nice install. Why didn't you mount your PC in the trunk? I'm hoping to mount mine under the subwoofer - hopefully I don't come across any magnetic sheilding issues.

Comp USA has a mini keyboard (http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...746&pfp=BROWSE) that you can roll up. Unfortunately there's no touch pad/track ball and it is a wired device. Center console storage perhaps?
I didn't want to put mine in the trunk for several reasons. I figured it'd be easier to work on in the glovebox. Less cabling = no worries about any type of signal degradation. No carpet or seat removal = lots of time saved.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ITL
I didn't want to put mine in the trunk for several reasons. I figured it'd be easier to work on in the glovebox. Less cabling = no worries about any type of signal degradation. No carpet or seat removal = lots of time saved.
I see. Well, since my interior is completely gutted (because I hydroplaned into a concrete barrier and am having a boat load of work done <$14,000>) I figure I'll be in a good position to run the cables under the carpet along the center console. Pwr on one side, signal the other.

Where did you get the plastic piece that covers your nobs "menu", joystick, "setup", "map/guide" buttons? It kind of looks like one solid piece. Does your navi audio come out of all speakers or just the ones in the display? If you could change anything what would it be?

I saw one guy's install of the AVElectronics.com video switcher where he put it under the trunk lining on the right side and mounted his PC on top of the DVD Navi.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Advanced

I think you are missing the point completely. ITL has no factory Navi. He took the scock ac/ radio controls and moved them down and added the Xenarc screen in the stock location.

also you cannot get a stock fit screen that will replace your navi screen and function as a VGA for the computer..... not possible.

I see. Well, since my interior is completely gutted (because I hydroplaned into a concrete barrier and am having a boat load of work done <$14,000>) I figure I'll be in a good position to run the cables under the carpet along the center console. Pwr on one side, signal the other.

Where did you get the plastic piece that covers your nobs "menu", joystick, "setup", "map/guide" buttons? It kind of looks like one solid piece. Does your navi audio come out of all speakers or just the ones in the display? If you could change anything what would it be?

I saw one guy's install of the AVElectronics.com video switcher where he put it under the trunk lining on the right side and mounted his PC on top of the DVD Navi.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:48 PM
Cruisin'

Wow, it's been quite some time...

Just thought I'd share some pics...

Microsoft's Media Center looks pretty sweet, but the desktop and other apps are only 'usable' quality.

Here's a few pics of my PC on the OEM navi display (please bear in mind that my cam doesn't take good pics of back lit subjects i.e. a bright screen):

PC in trunk:

MCE interface:

Visualization:

Rearview Cam:

DVD Playback pic:

Keyboard & Remote:
Old 08-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Racer

WoW I also wish I could have that in my car....If u dont mind me askin, how much did it run you total. Parts and installation??
Old 08-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Cruisin'

About $1,500 USD.

I built and configured the system myself and had a buddy help with the install. (I took him and his girlfriend to DMB @ Fenway as a 'thanks').
Old 08-30-2006, 10:52 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

I did my first one for $1000 even...I just did a third one for a total of $1500 for parts
Old 08-31-2006, 12:43 AM
Cruisin'

I think about $1500 er so is about what you can expect to pay for a 'respectable' system. I'm getting a lot of entertainment value out of my CarPC (1hr commute 2x a day!). I've been listening/watching DMB "Live at The Gorge" DVD... It's like a mini-concert at each red light

I'm so glad I sucked it up and attacked this proj.... Good times, good times!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Racer

I think about $1500 er so is about what you can expect to pay for a 'respectable' system. I'm getting a lot of entertainment value out of my CarPC (1hr commute 2x a day!). I've been listening/watching DMB "Live at The Gorge" DVD... It's like a mini-concert at each red light

I'm so glad I sucked it up and attacked this proj.... Good times, good times!
Since the system is in the trunk, Im guessin you have to get out, pop the trunk, and load a different DVD?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:02 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

not necessarily. I'm not sure what Jeff's setup is, but I put a laptop DVD drive in the dash between the monitor and radio. With the PC in the trunk, you could do this as well b/c I am using an adapter that lets me convert the laptop drive connection to USB!