Can we easily upgrade the navi/audio software (Not the Map DVD)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can we easily upgrade the navi/audio software (Not the Map DVD)?

I have a stock 04 and I have many issues with how things are displayed on the nav screen. For example, when a long artist or track name is displayed, it will truncate it even though there appears to be plenty of extra room on the screen. Comparing it to other newer navi screens on other cars it looks VERY outdated.

The CarPC hacks look great, but I don't want to buy all that hardware. I have seen posts about dump navi which lets me change things like the welcome screen, but I basically just want a nicer looking interface overall. Does this exist?
Old 02-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Advanced

I posted this about two years ago but I still haven't seen an example of how to update the dated 3G Nav/Audio screens. Are there any ways to do this? Would software/hardware from a 4G work?
Old 02-04-2012, 06:59 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The navigation unit in these cars runs on Windows CE.

The interface is probably a combination of drawing objects like filled rectangles, polygons, lines, etc. AND bitmaps which are stored in 09Touch2.bin [file differs dependent upon disc version and navi type (touch versus jog wheel)].

You can change the bitmaps all you want, and that seems to work great.
But when it comes to interface elements that are programmatically draws using a Windows CE drawing library, the only way to change it would be to have access to the source code, rewrite the code, and recompile. In short...I doubt that's going to happen.

Send an email to Alpine, and see if they'll send you the source code. That would be a start.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skylargray
Send an email to Alpine, and see if they'll send you the source code. That would be a start.
There is almost no chance of that happening unfortunately. That is there own intellectual property, and they have no motivation to share it. Additionally it likely using libraries they licensed from other companies, which they would be unable to share.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:12 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by duckedtapedemon
There is almost no chance of that happening unfortunately.
exactly