Can the W6 be run IB?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Can the W6 be run IB?

As it says, can a JL W6 be run in an IB setup and sound right?

I'm making some changes, this is my second thread on the subject, I almost combined this question with the other but I figured I might get a quicker and more specific response this way. As I said in the other, I'm thinking of ditching the "miracle" box for an IB setup specifically with 2- 15" IDQ drivers. I need my trunk back and want to save weight. The W6s are 20lbs each and the IDQs are barely over 10lbs. I wouldn't mind trying the heavier W6s IB since I already have them but if there's no chance of them sounding right, I won't even bother. Not sure if two 12s would even push enough air IB. Any opinions?
Old 12-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Team Owner

After doing some research on Infinite Baffle setups I stumbled across something very interesting. I was not looking for it but apparently the W6/W7 does extremely well in an IB setup. In fact, I guess some world class competitors are using them in this setup. I think I found my next project and the great thing is it should cost under $150.

For future reference in case anyone is interested: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...se-vote-7.html

Last edited by I hate cars; 12-18-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Team Owner

I know I'm talking to myself here but I thought I would update. I have my mind made up to do the IB setup. From my research, I'm VERY excited to try it. The Miracle box comes out on Thursday. I'm going to do a quick install with basic sealing of large holes and expanding foam on the small ones. I only have a few hours to spend so it's going to be a quickie until late Jan or early Feb when I can dedicate more time to do it right.

I figure if I don't pull the miracle box out soon I'll procrastinate for the next year. The IB setup won't be at it's best with the leaks but at least I can get a rough idea of what it will sound like.

I have no plans of selling the MB yet. I will never go back to a traditional sealed or ported box in a TL after being spoiled with this box. If the IB does not work out, I'm reinstalling the MB. Once again, Jason's original bandpass design is awesome, the only reason I'm making the change is space and weight. Jason's (CSWBiggs) original actually fits much better and he has a good 6" more trunk space than me but still not enough.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
sorry, but what is this miracle box that you are referring to? Pics would be great haha

My understanding is the infinite baffle setup is technically free-air ... free-air with JL w6's, I'm definitely interested. Subscribed for sure and will check in from time to time!

EDIT: Also, I was wondering what amp you're using to power your w6's ... I know the w6 and w7's are pretty power hungry so just wondering

Last edited by crzygosu87; 12-20-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:13 AM
TL owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hope your gonna seal that trunk as best as possible. Also how much power are you gonna run to the subs, most IB set-ups arent high powered. Lastly, What are you shooting for as far as slopes and X-over points for the subs in a IB set-up.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by crzygosu87
sorry, but what is this miracle box that you are referring to? Pics would be great haha

My understanding is the infinite baffle setup is technically free-air ... free-air with JL w6's, I'm definitely interested. Subscribed for sure and will check in from time to time!

EDIT: Also, I was wondering what amp you're using to power your w6's ... I know the w6 and w7's are pretty power hungry so just wondering
I have a 1,000 watt old, old Infinity Beta 300. The mag tests I say from back in the day showed close to 1,300watts output at 1ohm. I'm currently running the W6s at 8ohms in parallel so I guess the amp is seeing 4 ohms.

The miracle box is a bandpass ported through the armrest. No trunk rattles, tons of efficiency and so far that best SQ I've heard. I absolutely love it but it takes up most of my trunk and it's heavy. If it wasn't for that, I would never change. I had to cut the gains by over 50% when I went to this box it's just so damn efficient.

Apparently some of the top SQ competitors in the world are running the W6 IB which surprised the hell out of me.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Eiswritsat
i hope your gonna seal that trunk as best as possible. Also how much power are you gonna run to the subs, most IB set-ups arent high powered. Lastly, What are you shooting for as far as slopes and X-over points for the subs in a IB set-up.
Definitely going to do it right but for the next month I'm just slapping them in there with a minimal sealing and then going back over it some time early next year. Haven't even begun thinking about x-over slopes. I want to cross them high, around 100hz to take the load off of the 6.5" but it's going to be trial and error. Hell, it may not even work, I may end up with the miracle box again.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Where are you going to mount it? What are you going to baffle?

I considered doing an IB in the rear deck and sealing the rear seat and wheel wells. I didn't get very far and went with the space saving rear fiberglass... but I will always be interested. I was going to fabricate a new rear deck out of steel, but I chickened out about taking the grinder and torch to my new-to-me TL (which is the nicest vehicle that I have ever owned without a bed).

The best IB that I have ever heard had a single 11" Focal K2 subwoofer. The dude built a custom fiberglass tube, like a CAI, that he encapsulated the back of the sub with and moved outside of the car. He figured that instead of spending time/money to keep the rear of the baffle in the trunk, that he would exhaust it out the rear and just purge it alltogether. The tube went from about 13-14" down to about a 6x6 rectangle and then out the trunk on the bottom by the tailpipe. It sounded good inside of the car... I imagine that it sounded good in outside rear of the car too.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

^very interesting information ... especially that IB setup with the fiberglass tube exiting the rear ... any pictures of this setup? I'd definitely be interested in seeing that!

also IHC, sorry for the change in subject, but I was wondering what tweeter output level you set up your ID crossovers at. I'm finally getting around to installing these bad boys after about six months or so of just having them collect dust in my room (been busy with end of school/work/applications/family-related issues). I see that the crossovers have jumpers for particular tweeter output levels and was just wondering what you had them at ... not sure if it was you, but I remember someone mentioning that the ID ctx65 comps can sound a bit bright on the high end. Thanks and looking forward to those pics of the new IB setup!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by crzygosu87
^very interesting information ... especially that IB setup with the fiberglass tube exiting the rear ... any pictures of this setup? I'd definitely be interested in seeing that!

also IHC, sorry for the change in subject, but I was wondering what tweeter output level you set up your ID crossovers at. I'm finally getting around to installing these bad boys after about six months or so of just having them collect dust in my room (been busy with end of school/work/applications/family-related issues). I see that the crossovers have jumpers for particular tweeter output levels and was just wondering what you had them at ... not sure if it was you, but I remember someone mentioning that the ID ctx65 comps can sound a bit bright on the high end. Thanks and looking forward to those pics of the new IB setup!!!
I run them at the -3db setting. They're not bright, in fact that's what I like about them, they're not bright yet they are detailed. I love silk domes. They are a little loud though. If it had a -4 or -5db I would use that setting.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jda123
Where are you going to mount it? What are you going to baffle?

I considered doing an IB in the rear deck and sealing the rear seat and wheel wells. I didn't get very far and went with the space saving rear fiberglass... but I will always be interested. I was going to fabricate a new rear deck out of steel, but I chickened out about taking the grinder and torch to my new-to-me TL (which is the nicest vehicle that I have ever owned without a bed).

The best IB that I have ever heard had a single 11" Focal K2 subwoofer. The dude built a custom fiberglass tube, like a CAI, that he encapsulated the back of the sub with and moved outside of the car. He figured that instead of spending time/money to keep the rear of the baffle in the trunk, that he would exhaust it out the rear and just purge it alltogether. The tube went from about 13-14" down to about a 6x6 rectangle and then out the trunk on the bottom by the tailpipe. It sounded good inside of the car... I imagine that it sounded good in outside rear of the car too.
The tube sounds like an awesome and easier way to do it. I would love to do it this way but I don't want my car to be heard on the outside any more than it has to. If I get frustrated enough at the sealing of this setup I may give it a shot.

On the way home today it sounded so good. I hope I'm making the right choice in doing this. I hate to get rid of such a nice setup.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Just don't throw anything away or do anything that you cannot undo. Worst case, it is just you time and some money for materials.

Although it might be impossible to tune, you could mount a 12 in the center deck and port a tube through the ski pass. It would be awesome if it would work and you could call it the micro miracle box/tube.

If I ever did the tube, I would run it straight down into the ground behind the rear seat. I wonder if there is a way to muffle it like a basic right-and-left convergent muffler.

I saw this car at the Good Guys car show - I have no way to get a picture. We were getting ready to take our sleds on our laps at Kansas Speedway, so I was too excited to think about it.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Team Owner

Just don't throw anything away or do anything that you cannot undo. Worst case, it is just you time and some money for materials.

Although it might be impossible to tune, you could mount a 12 in the center deck and port a tube through the ski pass. It would be awesome if it would work and you could call it the micro miracle box/tube.

If I ever did the tube, I would run it straight down into the ground behind the rear seat. I wonder if there is a way to muffle it like a basic right-and-left convergent muffler.

I saw this car at the Good Guys car show - I have no way to get a picture. We were getting ready to take our sleds on our laps at Kansas Speedway, so I was too excited to think about it.
Definitely not going to do anything I can't take back. I figure the first round should not cost me more than $30 and 4 hours of my time.

What I'm thinking about is when cutting the baffle board, I'll space the holes so that down the road I can do a couple 15s back there.

Just thinking out loud here....

I'm going to do the first setup with the large holes sealed but I'm not going to put in the 40 hours or so to make it perfect yet. I want an "80%" version just to see if it's worth it to put the time and money into. From what I've read, the output is what suffers from having leaks but it should sound like the finished product. In fact, I may just throw a board on the seat side instead of the trunk side of the deck which would make it much quicker, seal up the deck and call it good enough for testing.

From my research it seems like a large cone area is preferred over a long xmax. Who knows how hard I'm going to have to push the W6s but I have a feeling it's going to be close to the limits of excursion. I would much rather have the more laid back large drivers that don't have to work as hard. Unless the W6s amaze me I have a feeling within the next year I'm going to end up with a pair of 15s back there.

I'm thinking of mounting them more traditionally with the motor toward the trunk so hopefully eliminate any potential motor noise.

I've even thought about a pair of 18s and mounting them at an angle in order to fit but I would have a ton more research to do.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

How much sound are you looking for? A pair of 18s seems like a lot to me, but I have no idea what kind of dBs that you are looking for.

Are you looking to compete?
Old 12-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Team Owner

How much sound are you looking for? A pair of 18s seems like a lot to me, but I have no idea what kind of dBs that you are looking for.

Are you looking to compete?
I'm light years away from competing at my knowledge level.

I listen to it moderately loud sometimes but most of the time I have it at normal levels that even my parents would be ok with. But..... I like a ton of reserve for that 1% of the time I really crank it. I may be wrong but to me the ones with a lot of reserve seem to sound better at high volumes. I want it to sound great even when it's getting into the painful db range. I really couldn't put it into dbs for you. All I can say is I want it to be able to go loud enough to be uncomfortable. I would be happy if it went as loud as it is now. Unfortunately the current setup has never been measured.

I know this is a vague answer but I know what 140db sounds like and that's too much for me. If I have to trade a few dbs for SQ, I'll gladly do it. If I can have it all, that's even better.

It figures that right when I decide to do this, we break the all time record for longest rainfall ever in this area. It rarely rains more than a few hours a few days of the year. Once I made up my mind it's been raining for over 3 days straight.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Sounds similar to where I am at most of the time. Yes, the ones with reserve almost always sound better when cranked.

You should be able to get 125 dBs out of a single high powered 12 if you go a different way than your W6... and if the setup is well thought out. 15 could work well too. I am talking about 1000W+. There are some GREAT SQ options that get that loud and can handle some serious power.

Less drivers means less weight. Wattage is pretty light.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Team Owner

Everyone seems to speak highly of the AE IB drivers. Have you heard much about those?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Nope. I have read some posts, but I don't know enough about the posters to make a good assessment of whether I might have liked them. I was going to go with FI IB3 since I have never been let down by FI.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Originally Posted by I hate cars
It figures that right when I decide to do this, we break the all time record for longest rainfall ever in this area. It rarely rains more than a few hours a few days of the year. Once I made up my mind it's been raining for over 3 days straight.
Tell me about it ... I decided to finally get those components in as well as revamp my system and then it starts pouring bricks ...
Old 12-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
Just throwing it out there, but the Critical Mass SS82 seems to be receiving beaming reviews over at DIYMA. I might pull the trigger on one this summer as I don't want to risk putting anything in that won't require some serious work to steal (recall, my shit was stolen a few months ago)

CLICK HERE FOR THE THREAD

I used to know the OP, he runs with the audiophiles over at Maxima.org (some serious gear heads tucked away on their forum)
Old 12-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Team Owner

Well, tomorrow is the day. I'm almost regretting the decision. I've learned a lot about tuning since I've gotten the miracle box and over the last few months it's really come together. This is the best thing I've ever owned. I'm totally 100% happy with the SQ and output.

But I need my trunk back and I want to reduce weight. Going IB tomorrow. We'll see what happens. I was told that the W6 might not play well past 50-60hz in IB, we'll see. I have a feeling in a month I'm going to be updating this thread saying I went back to the bandpass after all. Or I got an IB specific 15.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Down for a photoshoot?

Will be waiting for pictures nonetheless
Old 12-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to see how the IB setup turns out. I just purchased a tl and debating on going with the "miracle box" setup ported through armrest. Trunk space really isn't an issue with me though and i would like to have maximum ouput. Let us know how it goes!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Team Owner

I'm subless right now. I pulled the miracle box out when I was replacing my rear Konis today. To my surprise I had already made a baffle plate and sealed off the trunk pretty well. The install should be pretty simple now. I can't believe I forgot about that.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Would like to see some pictures of the new setup!