Can someone recommend a sub and anp..I suck at this stuff

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone recommend a sub and anp..I suck at this stuff

Im looking to spend around 400$ the stock sub just doesnt cut it anymore. Thanks for any sort of help
Old 06-08-2012, 02:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
More details, what exactly are you looking for? Just a little fill in the lowest octave or are you looking to be heard around the block? Future plans for the system? Sound quality, Spl, or both?

My personal preference is infinite baffle with a pair of 15s. You get to keep most of your trunk space because there is no box. It will sound tight and punchy and get very low with authority and require little power. Most IB subs are pretty cheap.

Large subs in general are better in nearly every way whether its sq or spl that you're after.

I prefer an efficient sub in an efficient enclosure, one that will get as loud on 500w as another will on 1500w. Doing this avoids all of the bad things that come with lots of power including not having to upgrade your charging system.

With that said, there are many awesome systems and build logs with pictures around here. Search around here for some specific ideas and brands. I prefer JL Audio, Dynaudio, and Acoustic Elegance but I'm a little biased.
The following users liked this post:
TheLowLife (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
darn it

was gonna say

"...in before IB"
Old 06-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
darn it

was gonna say

"...in before IB"
It's called IB envy, Eggy. You know you want to try it... I know you like SPL, you could do a pair of Fi 18s and still have most of the trunk left. Huge cone area and huge excursion. Just do it lol.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Drifting

vs my current setup?

More efficient, yes...but not by much, since the sub is 91db @ 1w

louder? not even close, lol.

Would love to shave weight, though.

But if op is up for IB, 2 dcon 15s would work

Last edited by eggyhustles; 06-08-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Team Owner

vs my current setup?

More efficient, yes...but not by much, since the sub is 91db @ 1w

louder? not even close, lol.

Would love to shave weight, though.

But if op is up for IB, 2 dcon 15s would work
Is it ported? I thought the 15" version was 89db 1w, 1m or do you have the 18?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Drifting

18 now

And yeah, ported is the only option for those.

6 cubes tuned to 30hz

so, i have...efficiency, power, and a port.

but zero trunk space.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Team Owner

18 now

And yeah, ported is the only option for those.

6 cubes tuned to 30hz

so, i have...efficiency, power, and a port.

but zero trunk space.
That's huge. But yeah, that's more efficient than the IB setup and louder.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Drifting

did u ever model the fi 18s?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
darn it

was gonna say

"...in before IB"
You gotta be fast!

No easy way to get an 18 in IB in 3 rd gen anyway

Last edited by pohljm; 06-08-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Drifting

could get 2 15s

or 3 12s
Old 06-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pohljm
You gotta be fast!

No easy way to get an 18 in IB in 3 rd gen anyway
Reclined back, magnet facing to the front. It shouldn't take up too much additional space. I've thought about it a lot.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Reclined back, magnet facing to the front. It shouldn't take up too much additional space. I've thought about it a lot.
wouldn't be worth it in your case.

You're not running out of xmax

You don't want it louder..or do u?

If so, you'll gain like 5-6db

Not worth it imo
Old 06-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Suzuka Master

I would much prefer the twin 15's over tryin to tilt an 18 in there and then having to deal with trying to keep that package shelf quieted down. The single 15 so far is totally fine with me. I am tryin to keep the illness at bay!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Drifting

go with 2 and get it out the way.

Would be a pain to have to run new wiring, fab up a new board, possibly need a new amp

etc etc
Old 06-09-2012, 03:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Do keep the illness at bay. Perhaps the quality of our imported Chinese products will start to improve and our quality of living will, in time, will go back to where it used to be and should be based on the tremendous wealth that has been created by occupying this land, drilling into the earth, selling the hydrocarbons, destroying the earth, for profit (greed).
Old 06-09-2012, 03:43 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stevemk07
Do keep the illness at bay. Perhaps the quality of our imported Chinese products will start to improve and our quality of living will, in time, will go back to where it used to be and should be based on the tremendous wealth that has been created by occupying this land, drilling into the earth, selling the hydrocarbons, destroying the earth, for profit (greed).
Okaaay. Time to lay off the crack. Maybe its time to sell your car and ride a bike. Meanwhile I'll continue to make a great living working for a big oil company.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Okaaay. Time to lay off the crack. Maybe its time to sell your car and ride a bike. Meanwhile I'll continue to make a great living working for a big oil company.
Did not mean offense. Typical response though: Marginalize the one clarifying the facts when it upsets the conscience of those who stand to benefit by said greed.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:17 AM
Burning Brakes

My bike was stolen by the way. Funny, I just found that out two days ago.

Also the Tl is a great carin every way that I can tell. Very good emissions as long as you leave the catalytic converters in place and functioning properly.

Last edited by stevemk07; 06-09-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Team Owner

Did not mean offense. Typical response though: Marginalize the one clarifying the facts when it upsets the conscience of those who stand to benefit by said greed.
I'm not defensive but I'm wondering why you chose a stereo thread to preach about saving the earth and something about greed.

I'll play until the mods step in.

What "facts" are you clarifying? Would you feel better knowing the oil is just sitting in the ground not being pumped? How is drilling destroying the earth?

We know that oil is not made from Dinosaurs and it does not take millions or even thousands of years to produce naturally. It can take days under the right conditions and it's mostly made from plant life.

Have you ever seen the environmental requirements for drilling? Most of these areas are left in better condition than before they were drilled. Before anything is started it requires a year long survey of the land, namely wildlife. If so much as a family of foxes moves in, in that year, a million dollar operation is put on hold or moved to a different location. If a rack of tubing is left open ended and an endangered mouse moves in, it can't be moved, operations cease until it moves out on it's own.

Cars these days produce nearly zero hydrocarbon emissions. In fact, my TL when it was new registered zero Hc when I got it smogged for other reasons. They're just about to the point of filtering the air.

In fact, the only cars that produce any amount of emissions to be concerned about are the electric cars that are charged from coal burning power plants and the toxic battery waste that will eventually become a problem.

Around here and in many parts of the country, the oil industry supports a huge number of jobs. At my company an entry level position with only a GED required starts at $70k a year and that's not a manual labor job, that's a very easy job in which I was bored most of the time years ago when I started. While the rest of the economy is crap, we just hired 48 support personnel in IM&T and will have over 200 positions opening up over the next year just in this city. Most of these positions pay between 70k-200k a year. That's not counting the hundreds of contractors we employ and we're just one of several oil companies out here.

Is it greed that an oil company is helping out the economy among other things and giving people good paying jobs that would otherwise be on unemployment or breaking their backs for minimum wage? If you want to get to the source of greed, start with the government. You would not believe the fines for a small burp to atmosphere or a few drops of oil on the ground. If we chop down weeds around equipment we have to give up that same area of land to the government. You heard it right we have to give up our land to the government for chopping down weeds. Their goal is to own all oil rights. We have a group whose only jobs are to fight the insane government regulations that are constantly trying to put us out of business. An entire legal team designed to keep us in business from the government constantly trying to steal from us. Greed lies with the government, not the oil companies. They don't even realize they depend on us, instead they have their hand out demanding most of the profit.

What is your proposed alternative? Do you realize what you would be giving up by eliminating oil production? Hint: Pretty much every product you use on a daily basis.

The way I look at it is environmentalist weirdos will always complain. When I worked for Enron wind division, the big thing was birds. All of a sudden we cared about birds that would occasionally get killed from flying into the blades. It was just what they wanted, "free" energy but all of a sudden it was bad because a few birds got killed. Screw the humans, protect the birds lol.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Matt, what do you do for an oil company? I didn't know you had an affiliation with oil/gas industry. Thought I was alone on that one here.

Stevemk07- don't tell me you're one of the people who thinking frac'ing is causing groundwater contamination everywhere...

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 06-09-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
Matt, what do you do for an oil company? I didn't know you had an affiliation with oil/gas industry. Thought I was alone on that one here.

Stevemk07- don't tell me you're one of the people who thinking frac'ing is causing groundwater contamination everywhere...
I started as a contractor for the company in IT with a little work with pump off controllers. Got my foot in the door as an employee as a production operator, went to measurement, and moved up and on from there. I somehow became THE POC guy for the company so no matter what my position has been I always seem to be doing something with these controllers.

I've seen the whole fracing causing ground water contamination theories. We don't do a lot of that where I'm at, we're mostly Tulare heavy oil but some of our other locations in the Diatomite zone do fracing. We actually produce so much water in our operations that we would have better luck as a water company lol. There's been talk of selling water to some of the Pennsylvania companies for their fracing operations.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

I started as a contractor for the company in IT with a little work with pump off controllers. Got my foot in the door as an employee as a production operator, went to measurement, and moved up and on from there. I somehow became THE POC guy for the company so no matter what my position has been I always seem to be doing something with these controllers.

I've seen the whole fracing causing ground water contamination theories. We don't do a lot of that where I'm at, we're mostly Tulare heavy oil but some of our other locations in the Diatomite zone do fracing. We actually produce so much water in our operations that we would have better luck as a water company lol. There's been talk of selling water to some of the Pennsylvania companies for their fracing operations.

Very cool! Always good to be in oil/gas (even when there is down periods). Aubrey McClendon's dumb ass out here in OKC isn't helping though . Got a job offer from Chesapeake out of college and I'm VERY happy I didn't take that now haha. They're laying off people left and right! I'm pretty comfortable where I work now anyways since it's the same place I interned for 2+ years. That's good that you get to do more than just 1 thing though! That's one of the big reasons I stayed with my company. Go with a huge company like Devon, Continental, EOG, etc around here and you'll be doing 1 thing in a cubicle and passing it on to someone else. BORING. I get to do mostly the geology aspect, but also dabble in geophysics, drilling aspects and get to be on site during everything (perfs, fracs, etc). Anyways...I'm rambling.

Those frac theories are the dumbest things I've seen in awhile. CNN just did one awhile back and they kept showing pump risers,so............ The lady narrating had NO CLUE what she was talking about and it was one of the funniest things I've seen in awhile. It's funny that when something like an oil spill happens EVERYONE in the world is now a Petroleum Geologist () or Petro. Engineer. They don't seem to comprehend the fact that it's constantly spilling into the oceans in deep water trenches. But yeah, we just did a frac Thursday and were flowing back A TON of water. Pretty large job for us though so that's to be expected.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

OH btw....sorry Scott09 hahah. Welcome to A-zine
Old 06-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Drifting

I started as a contractor for the company in IT .
Nice.

I do IT now for Dell.

Sorta hate it, but the money is
Old 06-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Ughh..... Im stuck using my phone but will reply later on. Applying sod to the gf's front lawn today. Hard work on a hot day.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Team Owner

Ughh..... Im stuck using my phone but will reply later on. Applying sod to the gf's front lawn today. Hard work on a hot day.
I don't know why but that sounded like some sort of sexual innuendo lol.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Team Owner

Nice.

I do IT now for Dell.

Sorta hate it, but the money is
Nice. So you're one of the guys our PC techs hated lol. I only delt with the network, I'm probably one of the most computer illiterate IT people around. I loved that job. I was in over my head a bit but it was never boring, the people were great, I was always learning something new and I got to spend 3 days a week in the office and 2 days a week in the field. We were always expanding so most of our equipment was brand new and cutting edge... except for the phones. They were just barely starting to upgrade everything to go VoIP. I only changed positions for job security. IT is usually the first to get cut around here. I went from IT to the oil fields, same company but a whole different world.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Drifting

Nice. So you're one of the guys our PC techs hated lol. I only delt with the network, I'm probably one of the most computer illiterate IT people around. I loved that job. I was in over my head a bit but it was never boring, the people were great, I was always learning something new and I got to spend 3 days a week in the office and 2 days a week in the field. We were always expanding so most of our equipment was brand new and cutting edge... except for the phones. They were just barely starting to upgrade everything to go VoIP. I only changed positions for job security. IT is usually the first to get cut around here. I went from IT to the oil fields, same company but a whole different world.
They only hate us when we have to report them for customer induced damage.

I get cursed out 2-3 times a week.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Team Owner

They only hate us when we have to report them for customer induced damage.

I get cursed out 2-3 times a week.
So that's how you stay so calm around here.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't know why but that sounded like some sort of sexual innuendo lol.
Yeah I guess it did. Anyway I guess it is interesting to hear the perspective of someone working in the industry. Here in Canada, Albertas' oil sands are the closest link I have to it which is three provinces away. My gf's brothers both make big bucks working over there but they're kinda assholes and part of the reasons why I was in such a pissy mood last night.

You raised some good points and I know something about the temperature and pressure process to convert basically anything to hydrocarbons. Let me just say that the industry has seen many improvements but have you ever heard the term corporate hitmen? Its a term to describe certain individuals that big oil companies hire to ensure any roadblocks to their interests are dealt with. I am in know way linking you to this behaviour but just wondering if you had heard the term before...
Old 06-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Old 06-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Suzuka Master

i prefer the term problem solver! and they exist in all industry
Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

.......... ..... ......