Can anyone tell me a AT&T/Cingular or unlocked GSM phone that works PERFECTLY w/ HFL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me a AT&T/Cingular or unlocked GSM phone that works PERFECTLY w/ HFL?

Hi I have a Sony Ericsson W300i that I bought because it's listed as having full compatibility with the Acura Handsfreelink in my '04 TL. The phone does pair with the HFL and it seems to work fine until I try to make a call from the car or from the phone and try to hear the other person over the car's speakers.

When I make the call by saying the name to call through the HFL voice recognition, it says it's dialing and then the call always gets transferred to the cell phone and I can't transfer it back. When I press the "talk" button on the steering wheel to say "Transfer" nothing happens so I can't tell it to transfer, and when I try to transfer from my phone to the Handsfreelink my phone says "Transferring" and the bar moves like it's doing something, but it never actually does it no matter how long you wait, and I end up having to take out the battery to reset the phone because it gets stuck on the "Transferring" screen.

I am wondering does anyone know if there is a AT&T or Cingular, or unlocked phone GSM phone that will work completely and fully with the HFL? Meaning it will show battery life, signal etc. and also be able to dial out/pick up solely from the HFL and hear the call over the car's speakers, without having to touch the phone itself at all?

If you could list any models you know of or better yet have yourselves and have verified perfect compatibility w/ Acura HFL in an '04 TL I would appreciate it.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
The '04 TLs were subject HFL replacement per a TSB for power-on issues- you may want to check with an Acura dealer to see if that is the problem with your phone/HFL combo.

I have an AT&T RAZR V3 (NOT the V3x, which doesn't work) now that works perfectly, and past Motorolas from AT&T & T-mobile worked perfectly with the HFL-- they were listed on the HFL mini-site linked to Acura's website as wroking, but without showing phone power levels.

Welcome to AZ.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Motorola V551 that was a Cingular contract phone that is now unlocked. The only thing that never worked was battery level display, but everything else worked great, including transferring calls.

I got the phone the same week I got the TL. Two years later I was able to unlock it and cancel my contract (finally!). After that, I bought the absolute cheapest T-Mobile prepaid phone I could find and put the SIM card from it into the Motorola, and it works perfect. It is the absolute cheapest best way to have a cell phone for around $8.50 a month. If anyone has questions about the T-Mobile thing, drop me a PM!
Old 03-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Instructor

I have a moto v9 that works perfectly with HFL
Old 03-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the phones listed in my signature, every phone I had works great except for the blackjack(one) However w/ the iphone I can't see the caller ID in my 04 and its probably because of the TSB while other members reported it working.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:38 PM
07 TL w/NAVI NBP stock

I have the sony as well but I have an 07 tlw/nav. Mine works great and I have had no issues. Must be the older model has some issues. Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:41 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
There is an Acura site which is regularly updated, that lists the phones which are compatible with our HFL, and what each phone's level of compatibility is, i.e. calleer I.D., importable phonebook...I don't know which site it is, though, sorry!
Old 03-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Honda Noob

My Motorola Q from works perfectly, as soon as i start the car it connects.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by princelybug
There is an Acura site which is regularly updated, that lists the phones which are compatible with our HFL, and what each phone's level of compatibility is, i.e. calleer I.D., importable phonebook...I don't know which site it is, though, sorry!

http://www.acura.com/models/handsfre...referrer=acura

This will show all of the phones that you can use with HFL.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:17 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
I feel your pain brother.... I have an 05 and have been wondering the same thing since my SE T616 is getting very, very old and I'm dying to eBay something newer and swap out my SIM. But since just about every phone on the Acura Handsfreelink site has a specifically good, or bad, firmware version listed it's a total crap shoot.

FWIW, the SE T616 works great with the car but is a relic from the prehistoric time. All features are supported. This here dinosaur doesn't use phones much or text much so it meets my needs. I'd like something a bit more modern though with more memory and better screen.

It kind of smokes me that all my coworkers have no issues whatsoever with any BT phones in their non-Acura cars. Perhaps Acura over-engineered the whole thing and a simple headset style interface would have been good enough.

Follow up on Will Y's comment as well since FW in the car can be the issue.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:33 AM
600rr > TLS

iphone works perfect

Old 03-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Phil 4:13

^ ditto - unlocked T mo iPhone
Old 03-25-2008, 04:51 PM
08 TL-S Kinetic Blue

Any good verizon phones that you guys have experienced with that work well? I need to get a better phone that will work in the TL
Old 03-27-2008, 04:17 PM
08 TL-S CBP

AT&T Tilt works great also. Does more than compatibility page shows.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Got it working

Hey just to let you guys know in case you have my phone or a different Sony Ericcson phone, I got it to work perfectly (as far as I can tell) with the HFL by changing the software version. I don't know if I got a newer or older version, I think it's newer but it's R4EA031 instead of the one that SE claims is the latest version when you try to update through their services, R9A036.

If you want to know where to download it for free for the W300i let me know...the site may disappear but I can send you the files to do it easy if you have the USB cable that comes w/ your phone. It took me hours to find it for free in some random place, but you can pay like $10 or something and get the software for any SE phone on wotanserver.com or a couple other sites like that.

Thanks for the phone suggestions though I was about to shell out big bucks for a Razr2 or something but then I went to the handsfreelink site and saw that it said software version R9A036 was not approved for compatibility, not the phone itself.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Please continue the discussion in this thread: 3GTL/2GRL Bluetooth Phones Compatibility...

You can use the "Search this Thread" feature (open the thread, link on upper right) to find phones by carrier.