Calibrate mic for navi???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calibrate mic for navi???

I was playing around with the diagnostic screen and came across a menu that has a mic calibration function --play/record and a bargraph as you talk (high/low volume i surmise)...... Anyone know how to use this? I can only imagine its for adjusting the mic to your speaking volume and/or ambient noise conditions.

I love the navi, but i get frustrated that sometimes it just doesnt recognize commands. Especially the first time you give them; generally it works after that fairly well. I notice it often thinks i say "8" when i say "9" especially in the XM stations and on telephone HF.

I have searched on every term i can think of around this, and come up with nothing. Anyone know anything about this????????????????????

Thanks,

-John
Old 12-23-2004, 07:20 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm... this is interesting I did not know TL have a mic calibration. So did you use this calibration? Also, make sure you give command in monotonous sound with slow and steady voice. Voice for HFL and Nav are different recognition softwares. I've had 99% accuracy on Nav voice and about 80% on HFL.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
uh how did you get to the diagnostic screen?
Old 12-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Advanced

Ok. Here's one I learned from an MDX owner. Press and hold the Map/Guide button. While holding it, press and hold both Menu and Cancel. Hold all three in for about 3 seconds, and the Nav diagnostic menu comes on. From here, you can see all sorts of interesting info, as well as set up some things you probably should not fool with.

For example, under GPS Navigation, you can see in real time which satellites you are tracking. Here in the Northeast, I generally used 5 simultaneously, but have had as many as 8. It looks like there is room for 12 as advertised, but I can't see 12 at a time here. Probably better down south.

You can reset your microphone level to how you talk. I did that by accident, but I think it works better now anyway. You can calibrate for new different radius tires (I didn't even want to press that button), as well as see the status of many of the cars other systems that are tied in to the nav computer and otherwise.

Then there is a trip computer of sorts, that somehow provides the data to the main trip computer. I haven't yet figured out all the codes. Part of the problem is that it measures in metric. I think it measures your speed in, believe it or not, millimeters per second. Need to play more though. Looks like you can also use this screen to save a log to a PC card (the slot is on the unit in the trunk). I don't know what data is saved, but maybe you can use it to track where your kids actually bring the car .

My guess is, if you mess something up with this screen, you will not be covered under warranty, so play at your own risk! My friend said that some info is saved here also that will help them diagnose a problem, which can be erased if you are not careful. Someone needs to get hold of a service manual so we can see what everything is here.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Advanced

Ok. Here's one I learned from an MDX owner. Press and hold the Map/Guide button. While holding it, press and hold both Menu and Cancel. Hold all three in for about 3 seconds, and the Nav diagnostic menu comes on. From here, you can see all sorts of interesting info, as well as set up some things you probably should not fool with.

For example, under GPS Navigation, you can see in real time which satellites you are tracking. Here in the Northeast, I generally used 5 simultaneously, but have had as many as 8. It looks like there is room for 12 as advertised, but I can't see 12 at a time here. Probably better down south.

You can reset your microphone level to how you talk. I did that by accident, but I think it works better now anyway. You can calibrate for new different radius tires (I didn't even want to press that button), as well as see the status of many of the cars other systems that are tied in to the nav computer and otherwise.

Then there is a trip computer of sorts, that somehow provides the data to the main trip computer. I haven't yet figured out all the codes. Part of the problem is that it measures in metric. I think it measures your speed in, believe it or not, millimeters per second. Need to play more though. Looks like you can also use this screen to save a log to a PC card (the slot is on the unit in the trunk). I don't know what data is saved, but maybe you can use it to track where your kids actually bring the car .

My guess is, if you mess something up with this screen, you will not be covered under warranty, so play at your own risk! My friend said that some info is saved here also that will help them diagnose a problem, which can be erased if you are not careful. Someone needs to get hold of a service manual so we can see what everything is here.

Vtecne
Old 12-24-2004, 10:08 PM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It looks like this is a "Test" feature, not a "Set" feature. In other words, this is a diagnostic to see if everything is working. It's not an adjustment.

Here's what the service manual says about the Mic Level adjustment (Spelling errors are probably going to be my fault. Grammer errors aren't... especially the big one in the first bullet point... that's word for word what the book says, but I indicated where something is obviously missing with "***".):

Mic Level
This diagnostic allows you to independently test the microphone and the TALK and BACK buttons. They are used to activate the voice control and the HFL system. The microphone is located near the map light in the roof console. It is directional, and works best with the voice coming from the drivers seat.

- Press the TALK button on the steering wheel, and in a normal voice say "testing". The TALK indicator on the screen should momentarily become green, and the text "Now Recording..." should appear in yellow. In addition, the Mic Level indicator should *** on the screen does not briefly become green, then check the wiring from the steering wheel talk button to the navigation unit. If there is no "Mic Level" movement when you speak, then you should check the wires running from the microphone in the roof console to the HFL unit and the navigation unit. If the wires are OK, the microphone must be faulty; replace the roof console.

- Press the BACK button on the steering wheel. This should cause the Cancel indicator on the screen to momentarily become green. If it does not briefly change to green, the check the wiring from the steering wheel BACK button to the navigation unit.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know if this will work on a RL? (I am assuming the HFL system in the TL and RL are the same). There seems to be a problem with outgoing sound on the HFL in the RLs where the person receiving the calls can not clearly hear the caller. People tell me I sound like I am under water or that the sound is very muffled. When I use a BT headset I am told the sound is much better.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that just has to deal with how clearly you talk inside your car varying on the noise in your car and the clearity and volume of your voice...if you talk very loudly youll realise people will hear you A LOT better almost perfect...