Bypassing NAV Disclaimer

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Overlord of Networking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bypassing NAV Disclaimer

I am sure this issue has come up once or twice, however , you see i am a bit of a hacker... Anyway, i was wondering, is the disclaimer that pops on the nav screen after you start the car is embeded into the nav system (eprom) or does it reside on the NAV DVD disk?( just like the FBI warning you must watch when you pop in a DVD into your home system). Because i was thinking that if it resides on the disk, than it is very easy to get around.. however i do not think Acura would be that dumb? Maybe they would.. i dont know.. if anyone has the info let me know. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I'd like to know, too....

So far... no one has done it successfully...
Old 07-22-2004, 11:05 PM
registered !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cant u find out if it does or doesnt reside on the dvd disk. Like pop it in the pc, and search for a specific, lol im sure u already thought of all that. Just that i am as irritated as anyone else that it takes its time to load up so i can use the navi in my car.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:48 AM
Advanced

It takes time to boot up computers. The warning sign is part of the boot up. If it wasn't there, you still would not be able to use the navi. I kinda like the screen. If you don't hit OK, the screen goes to sleep. Unless I'm lost or need to find my way home, I don't use the navi that much. It's a great backup though...
Old 07-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy_boy
I am sure this issue has come up once or twice, however , you see i am a bit of a hacker... Anyway, i was wondering, is the disclaimer that pops on the nav screen after you start the car is embeded into the nav system (eprom) or does it reside on the NAV DVD disk?( just like the FBI warning you must watch when you pop in a DVD into your home system). Because i was thinking that if it resides on the disk, than it is very easy to get around.. however i do not think Acura would be that dumb? Maybe they would.. i dont know.. if anyone has the info let me know. Thanks.
PLEASE someone let us know!!! What a PAIN!!!
Old 07-23-2004, 10:45 AM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Originally Posted by TXTL
It takes time to boot up computers. The warning sign is part of the boot up. If it wasn't there, you still would not be able to use the navi. I kinda like the screen. If you don't hit OK, the screen goes to sleep. Unless I'm lost or need to find my way home, I don't use the navi that much. It's a great backup though...
I believe this is correct. In addition to the boot-up time, it takes a few additional moments for the GPS to "find" the satellites and establish your position. I think this is what is going on in the background while the screen displays the disclaimer.

FWIW: I also own a hand-held GPS from Garmin (E-Trek vista). And it takes several minutes longer than the TL to find the satellites and establish my position when I turn it on. During this time, the display reads “Finding Satellites”.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:41 AM
TL hacker

The disclaimer is on the nav DVD disc. However, the EPROM in the nav is what triggers it to pop up. I tried hacking some files of my own but you have to be careful. You mess up and you'll have to bring it back to the service dept to get it re-tuned. Rebooting from scratch isn't much of a problem but the nav has values for calibrating tire size and other things that are done at the factory. If you mess those up, it's back to the service dept.

In any case, hacking the nav is fun and you can discover some really fun things but it's risky and not recommended.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Overlord of Networking

Ok well.. That is good information.. Unfortunaly i do not have my TL yet so i cannot try this, however, what about making a copy of the disk and working off of that. If i made a copy of the disk then i would basicaly eliminate the warning alltogether. This is a very simple process. It works on my DVD players to eliminate the FBI copyright warnings on DVD Movies.. I dont think it could be that hard for the NAV system. Once i get my TL I will begin testing. If somone else wants to try it I can walk you through the proces if you need. You need to have a basic understanding of how to copy and re-author a DVD movie. Aso, i imagine you need a dual 8gb burner and 8gb media since i belive the NAV dvd to be of the 8gb double density naure. These dual burners are new on the market, however i know of one that can be purchased as a single density DVD burner for 69bucks and be firmware upgraded to double density for free. Also, i use Adobe premere to recompile the movie without the FI warnings and such. Once that is done you can use DVD-it or anyother DVD authoring program to compile the dvd and burn it.

Again, I will be doing testing once i get my TL.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zeuser
The disclaimer is on the nav DVD disc. However, the EPROM in the nav is what triggers it to pop up. I tried hacking some files of my own but you have to be careful. You mess up and you'll have to bring it back to the service dept to get it re-tuned. Rebooting from scratch isn't much of a problem but the nav has values for calibrating tire size and other things that are done at the factory. If you mess those up, it's back to the service dept.

In any case, hacking the nav is fun and you can discover some really fun things but it's risky and not recommended.
About the calibration for tire size, does that mean that the navi won't work properly unless you use exactly the same size tire that the factory calibrated the navi for? Also, if this is true, what would happen to the navi when using other size tires? Thanks for the information since I'm planning to change my tires soon since I'm not happy with the HPT Bridgstone's I've got. I'm not planning to use big oversize tires but I might change the size slightly if the navi will still work properly.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Advanced

I don't mind the screen, but I do mind the fact that I have to hit OK EVERY SINGLE TIME. I realize that it takes awhile for the disc to spin up, the receiver to get a position fix from the satellite, and for the proper map to be displayed, so I don't mind the wait.

I just wish there was a way to make the car remember that I have already said OK to this disclaimer a thousand times already, and stop prompting me already. Thank you, car, I realize that no navigation system is perfect. I realize that roads change. Now stop making me hit OK every time I get in the car.

One nice feature would be if the car could remember what the last screen displayed was. For instance, I usually leave the screen on, but mostly I have it set to display the audio properties. It would be nice if, when I get out of the car, it would remember that the audio screen was the last one displayed, and display it automatically the next time I got in. Just like the memory seating. I could live with the OK screen then, because it would only pop up when I actually manually switched over to the map mode.

Oh well...it's a pet peeve, and seeing as how this car is so damn perfect in every other way, I can live with it. Not like I have much choice, anyway...

Matt
Old 07-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Advanced

By the way, is there a way to turn the nav screen off manually? I know that if you don't hit any buttons when you start the car up, it will go off automatically after a few minutes, but I would like to be able to turn it off sometimes.

If this info is in the manual, then I apologize for posting this question. I know people would respond saying read the manual...so sue me...I haven't read the manual yet...at least, not cover to cover. I read the sections that interested me, and the ones that dealt with car maintenance...

Matt
Old 07-23-2004, 06:42 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by msisaac
By the way, is there a way to turn the nav screen off manually? I know that if you don't hit any buttons when you start the car up, it will go off automatically after a few minutes, but I would like to be able to turn it off sometimes.

If this info is in the manual, then I apologize for posting this question. I know people would respond saying read the manual...so sue me...I haven't read the manual yet...at least, not cover to cover. I read the sections that interested me, and the ones that dealt with car maintenance...

Matt

Press set up, the off
Old 08-01-2004, 12:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tommy_boy
I am sure this issue has come up once or twice, however , you see i am a bit of a hacker... Anyway, i was wondering, is the disclaimer that pops on the nav screen after you start the car is embeded into the nav system (eprom) or does it reside on the NAV DVD disk?( just like the FBI warning you must watch when you pop in a DVD into your home system).
The warning screen on the nav is more like the slpash screen you see while your PC is booting up than the FBI warning screen you see on a DVD. IOW, this is just a static screen that is displayed while the nav software is loaded from the DVD; thus, even if you somehow hacked the firmware to get rid of the screen, your nav system would still be unusable while the system boots.

Still, it might be fun to replace the CYA warning screen with something else, like a picture of my car that says "Fuque's Pimp-Ass Ride."
Old 08-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Advanced

Just remember to read your manual. Hacking the DVD software is ILLEGAL. It says so right in the nav manual. It specifically states that reverse engineering, or alterations to the data on the disc are strictly prohibited. This would probably mean that, if Acura ever found out, not only could they prosecute you for tampering with the software, but to a lesser extent, they could void the warranty on your vehicle.

So, do this at your own risk. There was another post awhile ago where someone wanted to have a device that would automatically hit the OK button for him, instead of hacking the disc. He hooked an oscilliscope to the navi and found the pulses of data that get sent over the lines when the OK button was pressed. He wanted a device that would mimic this response, so that, every time the car was powered on, instead of manually hitting the OK button, this device would trick the navi into thinking the OK button had been pressed, and proceed past the disclaimer screen. This would seem to be more legal than actually hacking the disc, because there is no alteration of the program data either in the EPROM or on the disc.

And if you read the nav manual, it also states that the OK button does not appear until the system is actually booted up and ready to use, so TXTL is correct. Even if you got rid of the OK screen, something else would have to takes it's place, since the system would still not be ready for use.

Matt
Old 08-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

i don't think the warning screen is required to cover up the boot up, the system probably boots pretty quickly - all my other car navs have in the past (honda, toyota). i'm pretty sure the delay is to require you to read hte message, unless there is some reason the acura system is slower.

i agree that i wouldnt mind the message if it would go away by itself instead of having my press okay. i think i'll take a look at the dvd later today.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:44 PM
Advanced

The OK button came up MUCH more quickly on my 2000 TL DVD Nav system. The 2004 has a faster processor. I'll bet they've purposely delayed the appearance of the OK button at the request of their lawyers. Notice have they've made driving the TL safer by making you stare at the damn screen waiting for the OK button to appear while you're trying to back out of the driveway.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:52 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
See if this helps to reduce the time. Let the nav display the screen, ignore it and then when you really start to drive, push the voice command button when OK is displayed immediately and then acknowledge it. Again this is my way for not waiting for OK to appear on the screen.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I don't own a TL so how long does it actually take from the time you start up the car until you can press okay and proceed?

And does your tip about using the voice command to "okay" the disclaimer actually work?

thanks,
carcar
Old 08-02-2004, 10:59 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by carcar
I don't own a TL so how long does it actually take from the time you start up the car until you can press okay and proceed?

And does your tip about using the voice command to "okay" the disclaimer actually work?

thanks,
carcar
It takes about 20 seconds. I start up the car, back it up, head up the driveway, and by the time I've cleared the neighbors mailbox the 'ok' is there and ready to be tapped.

The bad news: It's repetitive and annoying to have to hit 'ok' all the time.

The good news: Like anything else repetitive, it becomes second nature after awhile and now I glance at the screen at the perfect time to see the 'ok' first appear and tap it with my finger so quickly my eyes really don't leave the road for more than a split second.

BJ
Old 06-15-2024, 06:12 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TXTL
but you can’t use your reverse camera until I think goes away either… It’s a safety issue in my opinion… I know how to operate your car. I know what my responsibilities are in operating a car I don’t need of that because I’m not an invalid or an idiot… It’s condescending it best to have that warning out there every single time
Old 06-15-2024, 06:21 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by boltjames
It takes about 20 seconds. I start up the car, back it up, head up the driveway, and by the time I've cleared the neighbors mailbox the 'ok' is there and ready to be tapped.

The bad news: It's repetitive and annoying to have to hit 'ok' all the time.

The good news: Like anything else repetitive, it becomes second nature after awhile and now I glance at the screen at the perfect time to see the 'ok' first appear and tap it with my finger so quickly my eyes really don't leave the road for more than a split second.

BJ

Wait, how do you back up with the camera? I have a 2017 RDX and it does not allow me to see the backup camera until that screen is gone…