Blitzsafe

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
calm down buddy, I'm hoping someone will figure it out for you too!!! Waiting to do my navi also
Old 10-27-2004, 06:19 PM
Team Nighthawk President

We all have our fingers crossed...it will work out. I-Mod WE NEED YOU!?!?!?!?!
Old 10-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
I found out something interesting. The factory XM cable harness and Bus Cable 2 Port all have 14 wires in both the male and female end of the cables. The Blitzsafe adapter, however, only has 10 wires in the male end of the bus cable. Could this be the problem? I thought Blitzsafe would have figured this out. I guess we'll see.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:40 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a guy that is supposed to bring me an Accord with Blitzsafe adapter on Monday night. I'll take a look at it then and see what the deal is. It sounds to me like something is wrong because it should switch to the other source's audio right away. Just so I'm clear you have and Accord with Nav/XM and are trying to just add in the additional DVD audio source right? Nothing else?

D.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:21 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

You are correct. When I hook up the Blitzsafe adapter to the Bus Cable 2 POrt, it interrupts the XM signal and plays the audio from my DVD player. If the DVD player is not on, then it just cuts off the XM audio. Why is that? Does Radioshack make a switch with that many wire hookups so that I can just switch from XM audio to my AUX source?
Old 10-28-2004, 11:34 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

That is odd. You won't need to get a switch to do all the wires. If it's a matter of a problem with the bus you can just put in a switch that interrupts just the bus wires and it should cut back over to XM. The odd thing to me is that it should not disrupt the XM at all. DVD should play only on the CD-C setting not on any other setting. The TSXs and Accords I have don't all completely switch over when on CD-C and don't do anything on the other settings. I'll work with the one on Monday and see if it acts the same. Do you have the Accord Coupe or 4 door?

D.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:13 PM
Awesome to the Max

how do you use blitzsafe to use an ipod?
Old 10-28-2004, 01:40 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

I-MOD, are you going to the mods meet this Saturday morning in Virginia? I know I'll be there. If I can't figure it out then, I hope someone will help me there. I'm going to call Blitzsafe today to see what's going on and I'll report back later.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, the TL must be similar to the Accord because I got my blitzsafe plug in the mail yesterday and plugged it in today and lost xm as soon as i did it, I did get the CD-C on the display when I pressed the disc button twice and touch screen controls for the changer. Still going to order that last plug so i don't loose XM. Where was it that I go to to get that 2nd plug?
Old 10-29-2004, 04:51 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Do you mean the Bus Cable 2 Port? I would like to know how you got the Blitzsafe adapter to work without it. I could not get mine to work without the Bus Cable 2 Port. Where was your XM harness? Mine was on the passenger's side, under the navigation screen, in the center console. It was a bus cable 14-pin connector. I think that if the people tomorrow cannot help me install this thing at the mods meet, then I will have a Bus Cable 2 Port and a Blitzsafe adapter for sale. I will let everyone know.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:13 PM
Racer

Yes that Bus cable Port is what I need now, ...I think?!!! In the TL the Blitzsafe plug is a 14 pin plug and acts (looks like) a bypass. They gave me instructions to plug it in between the unit and the factory plug. the plug was on the back of the head unit (not the screen) and it was a white plug closest to the drivers side at the bottom (directly behind the volume power knob). So now I've got the cd-c screen at the push of my disc/tape button, but no XM (which is a separete button). To me this is wierd, how did my xm get affected, I would've guessed that my tape may have been afftected but really it may have too and I wouldn't know (actually I've never had a tape in that player). Sure enough I emailed blitzsafe before I ever got the plug, addressing this exact issue and of course no reply. I will be talking to blitzsafe as my current set up is not satisfactory! (but very close.)
Old 10-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

The thing that gets me is the fact that the Bus Cable 2 Port should work. It's a harness from Honda, and it's used to install and hook up a cassette player, multimedia player, and mp3 player in the 2004 Accord. You just unhook the factory XM radio harness, plug one end into the headunit, plug the other end into the XM radio harness, and then you have a free female bus cable end. This end would plug into another bus cable and then ultimately into the cassette, mp3, or multimedia player. It's used for the Accords that have factory XM radio. Maybe I'm not doing something right (or if there is more than one factory 14-pin connectors inside the center console), but this is making me a little mad. Hopefully I can get this taken care of tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:01 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

After doing some testing it looks like the hardware might not be setup to handle the additional source on the bus without dropping one other source (XM). I need to look at another TL to verify this and hope to get time to do that this weekend

D.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:58 AM
Racer

Now, it takes forever and a half for the stereo to kick on after vehicle start up. A few times the stereo wouldn't come on at all, nor would the voice recognition, ...lame. Not to mention no XM. I'm going to unplug the blitzsafe until we can come up with a better solution (and so I get my xm back).

Can anyone verify that this bus data cable from honda is my fix?
Old 10-30-2004, 02:14 PM
04 TL 6MT A-Spec Navi ABP

The saga continues

Okay... I finally got around to hooking up the Blitzsafe adaptor. In fact, the car's in the garrage all in pieces now (2004 TL/navi). Here's my experience:

I obtained a Honda 2-port cable (just incase). You will notice that the cable is marked with "AMP-A" and "AMP-B" on the female connectors. I connected the male end of the 2- port cable into the head unit and the now free end of the car's cable into the female AMP-A connection on the 2-port cable.

I tested the system in this state to make sure that everything worked. Good to go.

I connected the Blitzsafe adaptor (HON/SON ITI V.2) into the free end of the 2-port cable (AMP-B). Pressing the CD/Tape button 2 times gets me to a CD-C control screen that is the input of the Blitzsafe adaptor. Unfortunately, switching to XM does not work. Here is the symptom: I switch to XM and the controls work, the song, artist, etc. are displayed, and I can change stations and everything - just, no audio. I noticed that if I turn the volume way up I can hear the XM audio. Very faint though. I think that this might be a key to something...?

With the 2-port cable I did not experience any of the slowness issues reported by chusteveb, only the XM difficulties.

I think that my next step is to experiment with the connection to the Blitzsafe adaptor to see if a switch can be added to allow it to share the sound with XM. It would seem to me like this is a deficiency with the method that Blitzsafe used to engineer this little box.

I will report back later, hopefully soon... too bad the board's going down in 5 hours!
Old 10-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I finally got the Blitzsafe adapter working correctly. Man, does this feel good. I-MOD actually hooked it up for me, but it works. You have to make a slight modification to the Bus Cable 2 Port and the Blitzsafe adapter in order to make it work. I-MOD will be able to further explain everything, i.e. how he hooked it up, etc. Basically what he did was to add a SPST (single pole, single throw) switch. He hooked up the free female end of the Bus Cable 2 Port into the male end of the Blitzsafe adapter as usual. What he did differently was to cut (or remove the yellow plastic covering) from the SHOND3 adapter (he switched my Blitzsafe adapter for the SHOND3 adapter for unknown reasons, but it worked). He then just added the switch in between the bus connector and the yellow-covered wire. This will in effect, switch between the XM radio and your AUX-in audio. I verified that this will work, so I'm a happy camper right now. Basically, now I have a CD player, XM radio, AM/FM radio, and mp3 player, and a DVD player in my car.

Here's what I get (audio) when I press the "CD/SAT Radio" button in my Accord.
1.) CD player
2.) Press once - XM 1 (presets) (I will hear audio from my DVD player if I don't flip my installed switch)
3.) Press twice - XM 2 (presets) (I will hear audio from my DVD player if I don't flip my installed switch)
4.) Press three times - CD-C (I hear audio from my DVD player)

I have to take the wife on a date, but if I-MOD can't post pictures or anything, then I will take pictures and try to post them a little later.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:16 PM

I-MOD

Any follow-up before the board goes down tonight?

My biggest question is, do you think that this mod will work with the Blitzsafe adaptor, a 2-port bus cable, and a 2004 TL /Navi?

Eagerly awaiting your knowledge :-)
Old 10-30-2004, 04:01 PM
Racer

props to you gatrhumpy for getting it to work!

I see that you still had to install an external aftermarket switch to get it all to work the way you wanted.

This is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

I was hoping that blitzsafe was the answer to my set up in where all I needed to do was press cd (disc/tape) button twice and get aux audio in without loosing any of my current features.

If I end up having to install such a switch, I will return my blitzsafe adapter and use my own relays.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:06 PM
Racer

gatrhumpy, if your installed switch is flipped, do you hear audio from your dvd in all three of your xm-1, xm-2, and cd-c modes? ...and if it is not flipped you hear xm in xm-1 and 2 modes but nothing in the cd-c mode?
Old 10-30-2004, 04:27 PM
Racer

Ok guys, I think that I may be making things way more complicated than needed be. I mean what are the objectives that we are trying to overcome? I know for me it is to get an aux audio in w/o losing any current features (ie. xm), losing any sound quality (ie. avelectronics unit cuts audio feed in half); this also includes to obtain an aux audio in w/o having to install and flip aftermarket switches or press buttons on various remote controls. In the end I want to be able to watch dvd's on my navi screen in my 04 TL w/o having to press this button on the remote 2x, flip that switch, change the mode on the headunit, and turn the volume all the way up.

What does everyone else want, ...in the end?
Old 10-30-2004, 06:37 PM

I don't disagree ChuSteveB - a method without a switch would be optimal. I hope that the companies who make these dongles can figure out a more "finished" solution in the future. In the mean time, I'll put up with the switch since my application is a bit different and I don't want to go through the trouble of tapping into the XM audio wires manually.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:40 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

This switch is pretty much the only option until someone comes out with something better. The reason why you need a switch is because with the Blitzsafe adapter and Bus Cable 2 Port, the Bus Cable is programmed to override the XM audio feed when another audio feed is active. This is why even though XM radio is playing, you still hear the AUX source if the Blitzsafe adapter is installed. As soon as you remove the adapter, then it goes back to the original XM radio. This is why a switch is needed. Basically it connects the yellow wire on the Blitzsafe (SHOND3 adapter in mine because I-MOD switched it) to the connector. If the switch is flipped, it will connect the audio feed from the AUX source. If you flip it the other way, then it disconnects that audio feed and goes back to the original XM audio. I have this switch below my dash. I will try to take apart the console tomorrow to take pictures. How do you post pictures?
Old 10-30-2004, 08:50 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Draden, I have Josh's 04 TL in the garage right now in like 50 pieces. I have made good progress on it and have it about half figured out. The TL and Accord with XM setup is different the the Accord (non XM)/TSX layout. The reason is because the mutiplex control module that switches the bus interface doesn't appear to have logic programmed in for the additional source. When I looked it up in the Electronic service manual it shows no AUX interface input. This is why the switch worked on gatrhumpy's. By killing the signal from that interface the control module no longer has a "lost" signal confusing the bus multiplexer and can switch the audio to input the XM feed. This worked great to take care of the issue on the Accord w/nav and XM or 05 TSX but the TL's have a different layout and right now it looks like it might be a voltage issue, but I'm not certain. When I dive back into it tomorrow I hope I can find you guys a fix. Will keep you posted

D.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:56 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Oh yea, the Blitz works fine for the Accord setup. I was using both modules to test with and ended up hacking up John's SHon03 cable to try a few things by mistake Since he has a TSX that didn't need modded to work I just used his module on the Accord instead of trying to put it all back together and then hacking the other.

A little secret though, the two are identical so it's pretty much the same thing. I took them both apart today and the circuit boards are the same.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:43 PM

Install follow-up

I-MOD - thanks for the help. I look forward to your findings on the 04 TL. In the mean time...

Well, it's in and working... somewhat. I switched the yellow wire coming out to the Blitzsafe box. This seems to be a power line. When I have the BS box "powered on" when I start the car, things work as expected - the CD works, CD-C is not an option on the display, XM is selectable but no sound. I flip the switch to cut the yellow wire and XM sound comes on. If I want to listen to the Aux input I just flip the switch back, XM goes away, and CD-C works (I think).

Here's the thing... I do not have a source hooked up yet so I am not 100% positive that the BS adapter is passing through sound.

Also, a strange glitch. It seems as long as the BS is switched on before the car is turned on, everything works. If I switch it on after, CD-C does not work (obviously) but at times the Radio/CD/XM does not function - it will not turn on. It seems like everything is fine if I make sure the BS is on whenever the car is turned on or off.

Well, there it is. Hope this helps and hope to get some other ideas from the experts (I-MOD?)
Old 10-31-2004, 08:55 AM
Racer

AHHH! So Draiden is now getting some of the problems I have. Sorry to hear Draiden but at least the problems i have are consistant with yours. I did not have a chance to get back at the BS yet so as of now it is plugged in the way they sent it to me. Thanks for the research on the yellow wire, however I'm sure that the result is not something that we want to keep (eventually this will get annoying, heck as of now along with my system not turning on I don't have xm at all).

I got four relays yesterday and am going to somewhat go back to the original set up of tapping my xm audio signal wires in the trunk. I-MOD, hopefully you can tell me if this will work of not. If I have to have an external switch in order to fully view and hear dvd's I will route them through the xm audio wires but this time I will not use the AVElectronics unit to avoid loosing sound quality or volume.

So I will cut the audio wires for xm and route them through the 'rests at open' position on my 4 relays (positive and negative for left and right) this way with my switch in the off position xm will function as normal. With the switch in the on position it will activate my 4 relays and then allow external (dvd) audio feed hooked to 'rests at closed' to pass through stopping the xm audio feed at the relays. At this time I will also eliminate using the switch provided by the AVElectronics unit used to flip between the navi screen and the video screen by using the same trigger wire from my switch (for the relays). Since I am only having one source (dvd player) and one screen (navi oem screen) I will route the video feed from the dvd player to input source 4 on the AVE unit which I found out is automaticlly switched on if the wires for the reverse light is hooked to positive. This is (in theory) for the reverse camera, if you put the car into reverse and the wire (i believe is yellow) shows positive, then the navi screen should show feed from input source 4 no matter what it is selected to do, instead I will hook the yellow reverse trigger wire to my switch so when it is on not only will the audio feed will pass through so will the video. My switch will act as a trigger wire (remote on) for the audio feed, video feed, and ignition wire for the dvd player itself. This will result in one switch turning my navi to full dvd capabilities.

WHOA!!! I know this is complicated, please ask me to clafiry if you want to. It was hard for me to understand what I just said after re-reading what I just wrote. lol

Does anyone know of a dvd player that has a remote on when turned on (used as a turn on for external screens) like a headunit may have for an amp. Then I could get rid of having to use a switch at all. I'd use this 'turn-on' from the dvd player to switch everything on.

I-MOD, am I crazy or would this work, ...if you even understand what I'm trying to say,lol.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:08 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

I have two pictures that I would like to post regarding the switch. Can someone help me?
Old 10-31-2004, 01:09 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

I doubt that would work. Typicall when trying tofeed an audio signal through a relay you pick up a noticable humming noise from the energized coil. I'm about to get started on Josh's car now so hopefully wil have an update later tonight.

D
Old 10-31-2004, 01:16 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

If I can't find a way to get this to work there are several electronic RCA source selectors we can try to use that might not kill the sound level like the AV electronic unit does. Might work until we get another fix. We'll have to see.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:46 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Ok, here is the fix for the TL. Same as for the TSX with XM and Accord with XM. It's setup with the same bus so all you have to do it use the 2 connector splitter from Honda into your Blitzsafe or other adapter and then put a toggle switch on the yellow feed wire to the adapter. When you want to listen to XM you cut the circuit to the yellow wire and kill the input from that source to the bus. This allows XM to use that channel and it works. when you want to listen to CD-C input you turn on the toggle to allow the adapter to input to the bus.
On thing. If you have done the setup where you tap into the XM in the back and run it through the AV Electronic to get audio you need to undo that and put it back to the way it was stock. Let me know if you have questions.

i know some want a solution that doesn't have another switch.....I have tried a lot of things today and this is the only way that it works with what we have available right now to work with. I'll let you know if i can fina another way down the road.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:54 PM
Racer

I wonder if soundgate or anyone else has something better to offer us.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:01 PM
Racer

I-Mod, thanks for your response and more so for your time and effort.

You are probably right on the noise from the relays. I may try and just tap into the xm audio feed with no relays and then use one relay to shut off the audio feed from the xm brain itself when the dvd is on but still allowing the headunit to select xm as a source. Not sure if this can be done but I'll study the schematics on the xm unit to see if this may be possible.

Of course your input is always more than welcome.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:09 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

I just tried that myself. When you try to cut the XM signal it resets the module back to where you have to call and give them the code to get the channels activated again. There is only one wire I found that you can interrupt to the XM brain to stop input to the bus and killing that seems to reset the module back to default. So I scrapped that idea.

Going another route I wanted to try to use a trigger from the XM module to switch a relay that will cut power to the yellow wire automatically but after looking at all the outputs from the module non existed that would do this. For now the switch seems to be the only way with no side effects.

Also, one thing to remember when doing the switch fix. You must have the switch in the ON position when you start the car up. If the Blitz (or other) adapter isn't getting power on start up the bus won't see it.

D.

Originally Posted by chusteveb
I-Mod, thanks for your response and more so for your time and effort.

You are probably right on the noise from the relays. I may try and just tap into the xm audio feed with no relays and then use one relay to shut off the audio feed from the xm brain itself when the dvd is on but still allowing the headunit to select xm as a source. Not sure if this can be done but I'll study the schematics on the xm unit to see if this may be possible.

Of course your input is always more than welcome.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:54 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

I also noticed that after the system starts up and you hit the OK to the warning screen you'll need to turn the switch that goes to the yellow blitz wire off again until your ready to use that input. If you don't it seems to keep the bus mutiplexer locked up and some of the buttons won't work on your radio. When you switch it back on again it will work fine. I know doing all of this sucks but it's better then having no XM volume until a better solution can be found

D.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:55 PM

I-MOD,

When working with the TL, have you noticed an issue where the BS box seems to kill the Audio all together at times? When the BS box is installed and the yellow switch on, the whole audie system will sometimes not come on. The only way to make this work is to turn the car off and try again. It almost seems that I need to start the car up with the BS switch off to reset things if I want the audio system to work with the BS installed. Then, I can turn off the car, flip the switch to on, and things work again. Very strange. Sometimes it works over and over withour issue. Sometimes there is a problem.

In the TL you are playing with, try a bunch of power cycles, never touching the switch. Do you experience the issues that chusteveB and I are having?

Also, I noticed that there is a slight amount of added background noise on quite XM stations with the BS adaptor installed and the switch in the off position. Tune to one of the ambient type of music stations and try. This was not present with the BS out of the system entirely.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2004, 04:43 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

I got a slight amount of noise also. It's no big deal, but it is slightly noticeable at higher volumes.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:47 PM
Racer

... and I don't even have a switch hooked to the yellow wire so as of now, my system is frozen. Not even voice recognition works. Like Draiden said, mine stopped working then it started to work again and now I'm back to locked up status. Boy I never realized how quiet the TL is till now.
I don't know what it is, maybe the time change and the rain we've been getting all weekend but I'm just not motivated to even go out to the garage and unplug the BS adapter. I wish some of you guys were local so we could brainstorm and motivate each other.

I-Mod, how much noise do you think I may hear if I route my audio signal through 4 relays like I said originally? Maybe I won't know till I try; as of now going back to that plan. I'll let you now how it works out.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:33 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

The way to get around that is you need to do the switch on the yellow wire. When you power on the car the switch has to be in the ON position so the bus will see the adapter and setup the CD-C input. Once you hit OK at the warning screen switch the yellow wire off to remove it from the bus and it won't keep the mutiplexer locked up. All functions should work fine including XM. When ready to input your audio from Ipod or DVD then just tuen on the switch to the yellow and that bus will work on the CD-C source. When done tuen it off to get XM working again. Just just left a little while ago with his car and that is how we ended up doing it. It works fine and having the other switch was fine for him since he as to reach to do the switch for the AV electronic unit he just does that at the same time to turn on the blitzsafe adapter. We looked at doing d DPDT switch to have it all go through one switch but he didn't want it to have to be ON the Video mode instead of NAV mode every time he started the car so the bus would see the adapter

On the relay idea I have done a few trials like that in the past and every time it cause humming in the audio source because of the coil it has to pass by going through the realy. It was noticable enough to drive me nuts and was scrapped right after trying it.

D.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:48 AM
Racer

So even the stereo is multiplexed?

The only thing is that I really don't want to change the car's original set-up in the sense that I would have to give instuctions to another driver as to how to work the stereo or anything else for that matter.

I'll let you know how the relays work out, I just got them prewired and ready to put in. Hopefully I luck out and don't get to much noise.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:50 AM
Racer

You would think that once the unit saw the cd-c input it would remember it rather than re learning it at every startup.

Quick Reply: Blitzsafe