Best way to troubleshoot an amp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to troubleshoot an amp?

I have a Rockford Fosgate 550s, after moving my sub enclosure around a bit the amp stopped working. I checked the fuse and saw it was blown, so today I went out and got a new fuse. I specified a AGU type fuse, 50 A, and didn't look closely when they gave me a small glass fuse that looked just like my old one. When I went to put it in the fuse holder I noticed it was labeled AE, but it fit perfectly so I thought it'd work.

Turned the car on, amp still isn't working. Unless that fuse isn't going to work (I have the correct one ordered and on it's way) what's the preferred method to troubleshooting all this? I figure I can either check the voltage at the power wires for the amp, or try hooking the amp up to a 12V power source and see if it lights up. I'm wondering if you're typical multi-meter can handle the power the car is probably sending to the amp (if I just put it on the wires hooked up to the amp), and if a small 12V power supply will at least show me my amp is working if the power light comes on (even if it wouldn't be able to actually power it for bass).

Any thoughts? I'd bring it in to a shop but I'm guessing the answer will be "you need a new amp, and we're happy to sell you one"...
Old 05-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Troublemaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...wait for the fuse
Old 05-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something blew the fuse, so please check all wiring again! Make sure there are no strands from the wire that is short circuiting either on the sub connections, or on the power connectors on the amp. Also, set the gains down, to see if the amp willl stay on without blowing fuses, then try and turn the gains back to where you had them. I hope you weren't moving the sub while the amp was on....your just asking for trouble there.....good luck

And yes, your typical multi meter can handle voltage readings up into the 120v range (house electricity)