Best Way To Integrate Aftermarket Sub

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 05:45 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Way To Integrate Aftermarket Sub

What's the best way to add an aftermarket sub? I would probably have a shop do the install but I want to be sure they do it the best way possible.

Would it just be best to tap into the sub signal just before the amp? I've read I will lose noise cancellation though. Any ways to do this without loosing noise cancelation?
Old 08-12-2017, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Matty1551
What's the best way to add an aftermarket sub? I would probably have a shop do the install but I want to be sure they do it the best way possible.

Would it just be best to tap into the sub signal just before the amp? I've read I will lose noise cancellation though. Any ways to do this without loosing noise cancelation?
I am not sure about noise cancellation as I have a base TL. It probably only works properly when using all the stock equipment. I know a lot of guys used to disconnect the noise cancelation mic (I believe it is in the rear dome light compartment somewhere).

As for best aftermarket sub installation yes preamp signal will give you better bass (clearer and deeper/lower) than going post amp (high level signal).
​​​
Old 01-13-2018, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I personally just hooked the signal from the factory amp wires. The signal may be better pre-amp, but it's in no way bad post-amp either.

Depends how strong you'll be running your sub. I just needed a better sound than the factory sub, which I got. But I'm not running it crazy loud, it's rather quiet when compared to teens going by with their subs at almost full power :-P I could put it much higher, but it's not what I want.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:44 PM
7th Gear

In my friends 04 we used a line level converter, tapped into the wires at the sub, ran that to a stand alone amp and 12" ported box. When he sold it we removed that setup and dropped it into the trunk of his 2015 TLX and wired it exactly the same. Kept everything else stock.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:35 PM
7th Gear

In my friends 04 we used a line level converter, tapped into the wires at the sub, ran that to a stand alone amp and 12" ported box. When he sold it we removed that setup and dropped it into the trunk of his 2015 TLX and wired it exactly the same. Kept everything else stock.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Pretty much what I did. Easy to put in, easy to remove.