bass box dimensions / Roadkill / Hertz / MB QUART

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
bass box dimensions / Roadkill / Hertz / MB QUART

I measured my trunk and I think the max size is about 31" wide and 14.5" tall.

I have 2 12" subs, and I am thinking about buying a new box rather than build one.. The box will be ported if that matters. Just wondering what will fit.

I found this at best buy, but its sealed! I don't want it sealed. But the dimensions would work. But for a ported box, the MFG recommends not 1.25 cubic feet like this one below, but 1.75 cubic feet.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Atrend+-...&skuId=9026984

And has anyone ever used Roadkill sound deadening material? I went to a place in Dallas yesterday and they are putting in Roadkill instead of Dynamat. Roadkill is pretty thin. They had 2 pieces of metal hanging from a bar, one had Roadkill on it, and one did not. He tapped each piece of metal and the one without Roadkill rang on and on and on.. but the treated metal with roadkill just clanked once and did not ring on and on. So, I'm wondering if it works with audio well.. Like to coat my trunk so the sound does not leave me trunk. I want the sound inthe cabin, not leaving the trunk.

btw, they played a system in a 370Z and they modified a mounting device for these Hertz tweeters and they were mounted on that panel on the inside of the rear view door mirrors. And the speakers were facing me directly. I have always hated that. And sure enough when they turned it up, it was WAY to bright on the front and the JL stealth box in the rear sounded good but it was not loud enough. It seemed under powered on the rear and over powered on the front tweeters. The tweeters sounded high quality but they REALLY over powered everything else. So IMO, they have some tweaking to do to balance it out. So, I'm wondering if they would sound better in my TL, because there is a greater distance from ear to mounting position in the dash of my TL than the 370Z which is nearly Closter phobic to me. Plus the mounting position of the TL is facing up.. And I think that would be better than IN MY FACE! I have never liked tweeters like that.

Lastly, Does anyone like MB QUART? (Soft tweeters)

Last edited by Chad05TL; 01-09-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Chad, I have the same tastes in tweeters. Look around for some silk domes. I love the smooth non harsh sound of silk. You can crank it up and listen to it for long periods of time without killing your ears.

Check out my thread in this section on running a sub infinite baffle. I just did it with just one of my 12" W6 and it's amazing. Incredible low end impact yet tight and punchy on country and rock music. I'm still amazed by how well it works. The best thing is you get your entire trunk, no box required.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
What subs are you going with?? I'm building a box right now for both of my 10" JLW3v3 subs. Its 28" long, 16.5" tall, 20" deep. Its around 2.8cu.ft tuned to 32hz. Hopefully she sounds beautiful when I get done. I've TONS of ported box plans from 1cu.ft to 4cu.ft and tuned anywhere from 30-40hz.

Also, I'm doing a little research on this stuff called "Peal n' Seal" from either Lowe's or Home Depot. It's supposedly very easy to use and very cheap. Works just like dynamat but I believe its asphalt based so I've read reviews where people say it smells bad in the summer months and some people say they don't smell a thing.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-09-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Drifting

ya, infinite baffle or free air is the way to go as long as the rear deck won't rattle like a bad dog. I think I have figured out where my rear deck was rattling. And you don't have to convince me about infinite baffle system.. aka no box.. I told people about that on here about a year ago and everyone thought I was looney... I learned about "using the trunk as the box" years ago when I was 17 to 19. 2 different cars I had setup that way. And my last camaro had MB Quart speakers. A few years ago, their tweeters were the best on the market for "quality" sound. (And probably still are). Thats just my opinion. I like a real stereo sound not something that blares in your ears.

Anyway: Noob:
I have a box left over from my 97 Camaro and it still has 2 JL 12W3V2 woofers. The box is 36" long which fits snug into my camaro but about 4" too long for the TL. I thought about using a 8W7 in the rear deck hole, but then I have to fix the vibrations and still no guarentee that it wont rattle and I hate to be stuck with a 8W7 if I cant use it.. Otherwise, I'd just buy or build a new box for the TL.. and *maybe* install a 8W3V3 in the rear deck hole. So many options***

Last edited by Chad05TL; 01-09-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
I'd just build a box for the 2 w3's. Either sealed or ported and your set. Sell the camaro box and that'll fund building the other one.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
IB is the way to go if you don't mind the lack of output.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
IB is the way to go if you don't mind the lack of output.
Lack of output is what I've always heard but with a single W6 in IB, it's more than you would ever need for daily driving. I turned it up to the point that it was uncomfortable last night and it still wasn't at it's excursion limit. Two 12" subs is more than enough. In fact I would say this IB setup has just as much output as the same subs in a sealed box in the same car but this setup has better SQ and low end.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Drifting

If you had the same output as sealed or as bandpass then those were average @ best designs. IB is king for sq installs, and some do get semi loud, but for a guy like me with 4k watts on tap for 2 12's in a low tuned ported box, The output of IB just isn't enough.

If you need a lot of output and dynamics, IB is not the way to go.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Team Owner

If you want to be heard from miles away IB might not be the best. Unfortunately for me I listened to posts like the above and lack of output is what kept me from going IB years ago. Luckily I tried it anyway and I'm incredibly glad I did. Some on here have made it sound like you need 4 18s to get appreciable sound. My single 12" is more than I need for the drive to work. It gets loud enough to get slightly painful so I consider it enough. I admit, a second one might possibly be needed for those days you want to crank it to insane levels on some really low material but it's loud enough that it pisses the passengers off.

Eggy, you've always had something against Jason and the MB. That's between you guys but your opinions can be a little biased because of that. Your conclusion that it was no good just because I found something else I like is dead wrong as you stated in the other thread. If it wasn't for the trunk space and weight I would still be using the miracle box. Because my IB setup is loud enough does not mean my other designs were bad. The sealed never sounded right in the TL even with several different sized boxes. The bandpass sounded awesome and I kept the gains waaaaay down to balance it with the mids and highs. The miracle box should blow the IB setup away in output but what good is having all of that output capability when I have it running on only 200w for balance?

My goal is primarily SQ and if it can go decently loud, that's a plus. I'm assuming Chad's goals are similar. I don't want to be heard for miles. In fact, I don't want to be heard outside of the car.I'm not the "look at me" type of person. I can't imagine 4Kw sitting inside of the car. I'm sure it's awesome but not on a daily basis. To each his own I guess. I always appreciate your input around here as you're one of the more knowledgable people on here so don't take this the wrong way.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I don't want to be heard for miles. In fact, I don't want to be heard outside of the car.I'm not the "look at me" type of person. I can't imagine 4Kw sitting inside of the car.
Quality is job 1. And MB goes plenty loud! But I agree for daily listening I cant handle it so loud that you hear it 5 blocks away... But IHC.. I thought you had a gold tooth..?!?!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by I hate cars
If you want to be heard from miles away IB might not be the best. Unfortunately for me I listened to posts like the above and lack of output is what kept me from going IB years ago. Luckily I tried it anyway and I'm incredibly glad I did. Some on here have made it sound like you need 4 18s to get appreciable sound. My single 12" is more than I need for the drive to work. It gets loud enough to get slightly painful so I consider it enough. I admit, a second one might possibly be needed for those days you want to crank it to insane levels on some really low material but it's loud enough that it pisses the passengers off.

Eggy, you've always had something against Jason and the MB. That's between you guys but your opinions can be a little biased because of that. Your conclusion that it was no good just because I found something else I like is dead wrong as you stated in the other thread. If it wasn't for the trunk space and weight I would still be using the miracle box. Because my IB setup is loud enough does not mean my other designs were bad. The sealed never sounded right in the TL even with several different sized boxes. The bandpass sounded awesome and I kept the gains waaaaay down to balance it with the mids and highs. The miracle box should blow the IB setup away in output but what good is having all of that output capability when I have it running on only 200w for balance?

My goal is primarily SQ and if it can go decently loud, that's a plus. I'm assuming Chad's goals are similar. I don't want to be heard for miles. In fact, I don't want to be heard outside of the car.I'm not the "look at me" type of person. I can't imagine 4Kw sitting inside of the car. I'm sure it's awesome but not on a daily basis. To each his own I guess. I always appreciate your input around here as you're one of the more knowledgable people on here so don't take this the wrong way.
Not @ all dude. I didn't like the way Jason bashed me..but that was longgg ago and he's pretty cool now. I'm just saying...You said you ran 1 w6 and the output wasn't that much less than the bandpass right? that tells me that it was a weird design. It's understandable now since you had the gain lower. In your situation now with the 2 15's, you'll have A LOT of cone area and motor force so output shouldn't be that much of an issue for your listening style. It's all preference really. I have a small 175w peerless xls in my dad's car and the output is sometimes too much for him..but i need concert like dynamics and bass that's gonna punch you in the chest lol.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chad05TL
Quality is job 1. And MB goes plenty loud! But I agree for daily listening I cant handle it so loud that you hear it 5 blocks away... But IHC.. I thought you had a gold tooth..?!?!
Eh, not reallly imo. An 84db driver with 80w power handling ain't really gonna get that loud or keep up with a semi heavy sub stage. I had to stuff an 8 in my door on 300 per and horns just to balance it out

Btw, OP..have you decided to upgrade your front stage yet? the xs65's on 300 per would be lovelyyyyyyyy
Old 01-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
Eh, not reallly imo. An 84db driver with 80w power handling ain't really gonna get that loud or keep up with a semi heavy sub stage. I had to stuff an 8 in my door on 300 per and horns just to balance it out

Btw, OP..have you decided to upgrade your front stage yet? the xs65's on 300 per would be lovelyyyyyyyy
regarding tweeters(not bass).... I have never heard a quality speaker like MB Quart or any other quality mid or high freq. speaker that is powered by an aftermarket amplifier, that would not go loud.
But for bass woofers, well sure I agree.. Some woofers you can hear 5 blocks away but some you can only hear about 6 cars away. I think 6 cars away is usually when I'm on it pretty hard. But I don't listen to it that loud, like 6 cars away, for an extended period.... So forget about the 5 blocks away systems. And 6 blocks away, you can still get low frequencies.

hell, 5 blocks away, you cant even see the people you are trying to impress.. So whats the point? Why impress someone that can't tell where the music is coming from? nobody knows its you...

Last edited by Chad05TL; 01-09-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Drifting

Who said i was trying to impress anyone? That's the problem with assuming. I had the TL FULLY deadened so much wouldn't escape. Sludge in the wheel wells/under the hood. Second skin damp pro and luxury liner all over the car from the doors, floor, pillars, trunk etc etc. I live in NY where any attention is bad attention so trust me when i say i wasn't tryin' to impress anyone..i just like my music loud.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Drifting

what'd you say? cant hear ya. can you speak a little louder?

only kidding. But my system will be plenty loud.. trust me.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 01-09-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stinger roadkill is supposedly the same if not better than dynamat extreme. I used it in my s2k and will use it again on the tl.