Backup camera installed, but only one (small) problem...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Tucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Backup camera installed, but only one (small) problem...

So this weekend I paid for the installation of a Boyo 420 camera and the installer (Underground Audio in Springfield, VA) assured me that I would be see the camera once I place my car in reverse. No need to switch any button or anything like that......

Well, while its hard for me to say he didn't lie to me, I feel like since they are the experts in this arena then I look to them for all the knowledge. Well needless to say they were unable (He fed me some technical, electronic jargon as to why he couldn't do it. I was at his mercy so I just said ok)to hook it up so the camera automatically shows on the screen once the car is in reverse. Luckily, (I guess) when I bought the car used about 2.3 years ago the owner installed a dvd player with a switch (near the VSA button) to show movies that could be shown on the screen. I took the dvd player out but left the switch and all the wiring in place. So the installer hooked the camera into that switch and ran the power from the reverse taillights (im assuming). Its just a pain, and somewhat defeating the purpose to have to manually flip the switch everytime I place the car in reverse if I want to see whats behind me. So my question is this. Isn't there some type of device or peripheral I can buy and give to my installer to have installed and make this work the way it was intended??

I'm a bit unsatisfied with the "flip the switch" option. Not to mention I had to buy one of their in-house backup cameras (which I might add was pricey!!) to be able to get a lifetime warranty on such work. They offered me no warranty at all if I was to buy a better, less expensive camera (off say Amazon or somewhere) and have them install it. The quality of the 420 is OK I guess. At this point, I just want to nix the flip the switch option

Let me know if the image above (of the camera installed) does not show up. My computer at work blocks most embedded images in message boards from showing up
Old 04-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Tucker

Old 04-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i actually don't like having the camera come on when i put my car in reverse. i wired mine to a switch so i can use the camera whenever i want, not just in reverse.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Tucker

Hmm interesting. Well, I definitely tried to utilize the camera in other modes (i.e. 1st, 2nd, park, etc...) but it only came on while in reverse. Call me persistent but I just wanted to get what I paid for......that's the American dream right, pay for the services that you want? lol
Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Missing My CL-S

so your camera is wired to a switch but yet it still only comes on when in reverse?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Tucker

Yup.....
Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Missing My CL-S

ok, that is messed up. (i didn't get what you were saying until i re-read the first post)

if this was my car, i would skip the whole reverse trigger and just wire it to a switch only. that way you can use the camera while the car is parked or while driving on the highway or whenever.

but if you want to have it come on automatically when you throw it in reverse, you could wire it yourself. the shop you went to doesn't seem to know what they're doing. try and search for the DYI on installing the camera. i'll see if i can find it
Old 04-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Tucker

Thank goodness for the wealth of information on the web and honest people. So after speaking with the TVandNav2Go folks up in Brooklyn, NY, he (I forget his name) told me that I definitely have some type of peripheral-unit already in my car since I had a functioning DVD player in my car when I bought it. Now I have to just track it down and find it. I'm guessing I either have the Dom's unit in my car or the Navtool (http://www.tvandnav.com/acuratl2.aspx). Either way, its gotta be there and I'm gonna find it!! Once I do, I will be equipped with enough information to have those idiots (the installers) re-do my car or worst case scenario, I may do it myself. I'm just not comfortable with electronics and wires like that on my sweetheart.....plus I did pay 360 bucks for them to a job!!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so if it only goes on when its in reverse, why not just leave the switch on?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by g2teg

seriously, this is the best solution
Old 04-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Tucker

Originally Posted by g2teg
Because the switch is just the mechanism that tells the Navigation-brain to switch over to the camera feed. The power is tapped from the reverse lights thus If I was to just leave the switch on 24-7 then my screen would show a black output while in park, drive or any other mode besides reverse so that wouldn't work for me.

I looked at the Navigation-brain (in the trunk) and discovered that I have a "Navi" (This is the manufacturer I believe...) Model No: Car-1 with this funny series of number/letters right under it: ee0050

right below that was the serial number: 200410070143

I spent about 1.5 hours searching for a "Navi-branded" video switcher/converter with a model number: " Car-1" and came up with nothing. Have any of you guys ever heard of this brand or make/model?

I am about to just rip it out and buy a known video switcher/converter and be done with this, but wanted to consult with others before I did this...
Old 04-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
I would look in the 3G garage ( https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-garage-faq-3g-tl-newbies-553554/) and act as if you were planning to install a DVD player. There are a lot of DIY threads that tell you how to install the different units that change the source for a back up cam. I think some units tap into the navigation drive feed so the unit might be on that side of the trunk under the side carpet.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Tucker

Originally Posted by Mug
I would look in the 3G garage ( https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553554) and act as if you were planning to install a DVD player. There are a lot of DIY threads that tell you how to install the different units that change the source for a back up cam. I think some units tap into the navigation drive feed so the unit might be on that side of the trunk under the side carpet.
Thanks Mug, definitely a very helpful reference!

Bump......So does anyone know of this "Navi" (I can take a picture of it but will have to wait till this evening to post it...) video switcher/converter that I have in my trunk. It seems like a very archaic module and thus I cannot find a single reference of it throughout the entire World Wide Web....
Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Missing My CL-S

i'm not familiar with the 'Navi" but i hope you get it sorted out.

have you tried talking to a different shop that knows more about the nav-2-go?

Last edited by SG81; 04-22-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
Go to the shop you went to first and ask where they plugged the camera into OR if you want to do it yourself take out the navi drive and you will see one of the harnesses lead to a black/silver box with the video inputs.

Either way you will find the video conversion module that was installed. On this unit there's going to be a sticker or a manufacturer. Depending on the one, you have different ways of wiring it up to do as you said.

First off 99% of units out there have a triggered input and a reverse input. The DVD player was plugged into the triggered input which requires a switch. The reverse input however displays the image whenever the car is put into reverse. The way this is done is by wiring the power wire for the camera and the reverse sensor on the module to the reverse lights of the car. Once the camera and module get power from the reverse lights they automatically switch on!

From what I have read, you want it automatically to come on in reverse and have the ability to turn in on at will with a switch. If this is correct, it's pretty simple to do but the process requires knowing which module you have. Take pictures of it too incase you can't find anything on it and post it here.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Good advice AJ!
Old 04-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Tucker

Pics of the unit...

The red/black wires coming out of the converter is wired to a switch in my dash that flips from camera-view back to default navi screen. Is this the "reverse trigger" as well?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks like you can connect the red to the reverse light power lead (green with silver stripe) and black to ground.

if you want to run a manual switch as well, run a switched power lead to the reverse lead a little further away from the reverse light and then put in a diode on the reverse light power lead between where you tapped the switched power lead and the reverse light (so the reverse lights do not turn on when you press the manual button).
Old 04-26-2010, 01:40 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Never seen that unit before.. Problem with your unit is that it only has one Video input! Dogh.. The newer units have a dedicated Reverse camera input.

So you have a few options here. Are you planning on keeping the dvd player? If so, then I dont think you can get it to work with the Reverse camera the way you want it to work (Turn on when you go in reverse). If you want just the reverse camera, connect the red wire that is going to your switch to the green wire of your reverse light and connect the power wire from the DC power wire to the same green wire in your reverse light. This will allow your unit to turn on and switch to your reverse camera when you go into reverse.

There are ways to probably get the dvd AND reverse camera to work the way you want, but that would require me looking at this more closely and would require a bunch of relays and probably a video switcher.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Tucker

Ok so I followed you guys instructions and took the red wire from the module and wired it to the green/white reverse light and took the black wire from the module and grounded it on a bolt in the trunk.

i thought that fixed my problem because at first when I tested this out, I was able to put my car in reverse and the camera automatically switched on the screen and once I was in drive or any other transmission mode my default screen would switch back.

Now (as I was putting everything back together, and I made sure I didn't break any wires/connections) when I start my car I just get a black screen on my display and the only time I can see something is when in reverse, the camera comes on automatically. But like I said, once Im in any other gear than reverse, its a black screen. all audio functions work as if it should, just no display on the screen.

How come my screen is not switching back to the default screen like it initially did when I tested my new setup?

It seems like the navi module is "on" all the time but only displays something (the camera) while in reverse.

Lastly, I wanted to make sure my navi brain was not damaged so I removed the Y-cable that connects the navi module and the navi-brain and my navigation and display works perfectly again so It doesn't seem like anything has been damaged internally. Just cannot get my default screen back once I'm out of reverse gear.....

HELP.....
Old 05-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Drifting

What is the dc power switch connected to? Like I said earlier, if u want just reverse camera to work u need to also connect the dc power to the green wire in your trunk.

I think that should fix ur problem. But then u can't watch movies.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Tucker

I just discovered the DC power wire (for the navi module) has 2 leads going into the back of my navi brain. Is one ground and the other power?

one lead is tapped into a orange/red wire while the other is tapped into a black wire......
Old 05-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Tucker

Also, my green/white reverse power wire will have a total of 3 wires tapped into it once I'm done right, is that correct?

-backup camera power wire
-DC power (for navi module) power wire
-the red wire that was previously connected to my switch in my dash, The red wire that is close to the D89 cable..
Old 05-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Tucker

"BUMP" for just a little bit more assistance. I think I have it figured out but need a little more support.....
Old 05-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Drifting

yup.. I have 3 wires going to mine right now. 1 of the wires (the one that was going to the front of the car) is just a signal wire. So, you really only have 2 wires drawing power.
The DC power wire should have 2 wires like I said before. One power and one ground.. Good luck man!
Old 05-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Drifting

btw your installer is an idiot.. if you get this to work.. lol
Old 05-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Tucker

Thanks Bzyrice!

"If" I get this to work then yes, he needs to step his game up and stop ripping customers off! If not, I will just suck it and get the Dom's unit or something similar. Thanks again for all the help. I now feel comfortable installing one of these from start to finish now that I have dissected it, lol
Old 05-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Drifting

Ok I hope it works!

Quick question.. Is your navi showing on the screen yet? I am just wondering what your unit will do when it doesnt have power..
Old 05-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Tucker

Well its funny you ask. Until I go back this weekend and get a chance to go back and triple-check to make sure I have everything setup right, as it stands right now with the way I have changed it, the navi screen only show me the camera feed while in reverse (the unit is powered on). In all other transmission modes it shows a black screen. So I just unplugged the unit until I'm ready to make a command decision (this weekend) on what I'm gonna do after my final troubleshooting
Old 05-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Drifting

yah.. before wiring it like I said, plug in the unit to the navi, BUT unplug the power for the unit. Turn your car on and see if the navi is working. If it is, then go ahead and wire the power wire to the green reverse wire. If the navi DOESNT work then I dont know what to tell you lol.. You may have to get another unit.

Also, I reread your post. Why did you have to buy a camera from them? Makes no sense! OOhh I would be mad at those people! All cameras have the same stuff.. power, ground, and an rca output.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Tucker

That was an excellent test to recommend Bzyrice. Come to find out my navi screen is still dark (with no display) when I plug the PnP harness up but with no power going to the unit. The second I disconnect the PnP harness and connect up the factory harness, Voila, Navigation screen is back to normal..........Looks like I will be buying a Dom, or something similar this morning.

Time to go internet shopping!! Thanks for the help dude!

O yea, they told me I had to buy their camera if I wanted to have a lifetime warranty on their work but turns out (DUH!) I don't need their stinkin' warranty anyway, I can do it myself now!

I will never recommend them to anyone in the future.....
Old 05-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Tucker

Thumbs down I have the worst luck with this video converter crap!

So I bought this unit on ebay http://www.tvandnav.com/acuratl2.aspx except it was only $225. But I am still having similar symptom:

"plug in the unit to the navi, BUT unplug the power for the unit. Turn your car on and see if the navi is working."

Well the navi screen doesnt show anything. At this point I have 2 PnP harnesses and neither of them work with the new unit. Coincedence or what? This unit I recently bought is brand new from ebay. Should I send it back and attempt one more unit or is there something I am missing..........

I even tested just plugging up the PnP harness (I tired both of them) without any video converter unit connected on the other end and still nothing on the Navi screen. how the "F" can I have 2 bad PnP harnesses?????

I have already done the "negative batty cable pull" to no avail.........
Old 05-11-2010, 10:06 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What an ordeal....good luck to you!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:26 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by truffryderz99va
So I bought this unit on ebay http://www.tvandnav.com/acuratl2.aspx except it was only $225. But I am still having similar symptom:

"plug in the unit to the navi, BUT unplug the power for the unit. Turn your car on and see if the navi is working."

Well the navi screen doesnt show anything. At this point I have 2 PnP harnesses and neither of them work with the new unit. Coincedence or what? This unit I recently bought is brand new from ebay. Should I send it back and attempt one more unit or is there something I am missing..........

I even tested just plugging up the PnP harness (I tired both of them) without any video converter unit connected on the other end and still nothing on the Navi screen. how the "F" can I have 2 bad PnP harnesses?????

Sorry I have not replied.. been busy.. Does that new unit come with a switch? Take a pic of the unit you actually got.. I really think it is your wiring now. Before it was the unit that didnt have an extra input.. now I think it is your wiring..
Old 05-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by truffryderz99va

They need to be powered on to send the signal through. You have a switch then the control one of the inputs. The other input is controlled through a set of taped up wires.