aux input only with navi 2005

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aux input only with navi 2005

i read a topic on how to put a aux cable with using the outputs of xm module but there are to aux for this application does anyone now of a way how to make this installation easier with only 1 mp3 aux. i dont care about xm radio so using those outputs are ok. any info would be great thanks
Old 12-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
research BLITZSAFE ADAPTER
Old 12-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Cruisin'

thanks i called them. this way does seem alot easier and it is only $80
Old 12-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
research BLITZSAFE ADAPTER
I think what he means is, ... there is a thread here somewhere where someone spliced into the connections between the XM receiver and the head unit and added an aux-in. They then installed a switch so you can toggle between the two. I think NFLblitze wants to do the same -- but wants a simpler install by not having to use a switch.

It sounds like the simplification is that you don't have to get to the back of the head unit and thus no need to remove it or get to the back of it via removing some panels. All you'd have to do is get to the wires coming out of the XM receiver which is in the rear trunk.

I guess you could just snip the wires from the XM receiver and add in your own RCA jacks and then connect to what you want.

Dennis
Old 12-30-2005, 11:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's the thread. I did it with the relay when I had XM. Now I just have the straight line from the ipod to the head unit. I use the belkin charger with the audio out. This give me the docking bottom connection for audio. Much better than the top connections and it charges the ipod too. I was reading about the Acura music link and I'm glad I did it myself. I cost me about $30. I'm not sure if my how to pixs are still there.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8&page=1&pp=25
Old 12-31-2005, 01:20 PM
Cruisin'

thanks for these links but is there anyway that if i get the 4 audio wires from the xm radio and hook them up to a aux input adaptor from radio shack and unplug the satelight from the xm reciver (so that the xm module can still switch on and off by itself) this way i wont have to cut any wire just tap into them. can this work.

the relay thing look great but that seems like a lot of hassle. the other ways you reallly have to take your car apart. like i said i really dont like XM so i dont care if I dont have it.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:22 PM
Cruisin'

i also just found this on ebay this seems pretty cool
http://cgi.ebay.com/ACURA-04-06-TL-R...ayphotohosting
Old 12-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kautiongsr
i also just found this on ebay this seems pretty cool
http://cgi.ebay.com/ACURA-04-06-TL-R...ayphotohosting

From what i've read, you need a y-cable pass thru cable with the blitzsafe if you have navigation. I wonder about this item because that is not mentioned.

jjh1234
Old 01-01-2006, 01:07 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzhonauxdmxv2.html
Old 01-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Advanced

Here's what I did

Originally Posted by kautiongsr
thanks for these links but is there anyway that if i get the 4 audio wires from the xm radio and hook them up to a aux input adaptor from radio shack and unplug the satelight from the xm reciver (so that the xm module can still switch on and off by itself) this way i wont have to cut any wire just tap into them. can this work.

the relay thing look great but that seems like a lot of hassle. the other ways you reallly have to take your car apart. like i said i really dont like XM so i dont care if I dont have it.
Take a look at this link: https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/best-advice-needing-run-home-theater-sub-woofer-cable-112654/

I just did a subset of what he said in the lnie (did it yesterday -- few hours work -- not counting the trip to Radio Shack).

All I did was this:

1. remove trunk liner
2. get at XM receiver
3. snip only the 4 lines from the XM receiver's audio out
4. put in speaker wire to extend the wires for both the XM receiver side and the other side leading to the head unit
5. Added in the audio jacks as shown in the original poster's pictures, taped everything up to give the connections some strength
6. added in my audio extension cables and threaded through the back seat bottom and bring to the center armrest.
7. hooked up my iPod with Belkin cig. plug with line-out.
8. tested that XM can still work if you just join the two connectors.

Read the post several times. It really isn't that hard. The point is that you are just going to snip the wires that lead to the headunit and put in your own audio jack. If you don't care for XM anymore, you can just wire the part that goes to the head unit and leave the XM audio out wires tied and insulated. I wired both so that I can have both; I'll be shopping for some kind of switch today.

Note that I didn't remove the center console and anything else like that. The only car thing to remove was the right rear cowling that covers the XM receiver -- this was kind of a pain to remove but is doable with patience. Also, I didn't remove the seat. I just reached my hand in one side and in the other and passed the cable through and tucked it inside the seat and around and to the center console.

Something to notice: when you get at the XM receiver, there is a black plastic tube (with slit) that covers/protects the wires and some gray insulation with thin metal shielding. I had to remove the wires from the plastic tubing and cut away the gray insulation/shielding to give me some wire length to work with. You might not care to remove this but I just wanted some wire length.

It's a 10mm bolt holding the XM receiver to the side of the car; use a good socket wrench with a "not so long" driver.

Removing the black platic trimpiece that lines the trunk on the bottom (and frames the stationary metal hook that locks the trunk) will help you when removing/replacing the trunk liner.

When I sell/trade my TL (7 years from now or so), I will just leave my wires as is and just connect the two female audio jacks with a male-to-male jack and XM will work and no one will ask questions unless they dig. If the buyer is "cool", I will tell him/her about the aux-in they have.

Dennis
Old 01-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I did mine back in July. It took 2 hours. The toughest part was to remove the bottom part of the back seat. The sound is great. I have it connected to the belkin charger with audio out so it charges and plays at the same time:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=149006

Works with or without navi.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Advanced

Center armrest easy to unscrew and lift

I just removed the screws that hold the center armrest down. I was then able to lift the center arm rest about 1/4" up without removing anything else. This allowed me to tuck the wires underneath instead of having them hang off the side. Now my install is much cleaner .

Dennis
Old 01-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Cruisin'

thanks dennis i willl try this tomarrow this sounds very easy and great exaclly what i was looking for
Old 01-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
what about canadian TLs
that dont have XM - are the wires still there? do i have to hack it to get the XM input onthe head unit?
Old 01-02-2006, 07:20 AM
Advanced

Compared to the Monster version

Originally Posted by King of Pain
I did mine back in July. It took 2 hours. The toughest part was to remove the bottom part of the back seat. The sound is great. I have it connected to the belkin charger with audio out so it charges and plays at the same time:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=149006

Works with or without navi.
I remember some discussion about the Belkin vs. the Monster version. I saw the Monster version at Sears for $31.99 and noticed that the line-out was near the dock connector. The Belkin has the line-out at the cigarette lighter connector.

The advantage of the Belkin is that you can connect the aux-in wire to the cigarette lighter connector and tuck it all inside the armrest; then, all you have is a nice dock connector exposed -- relatively clean.

The disadvantage of the Monster is that you now have to have two wires coming out of the center armrest. However, the Monster cable is black which matches the car interior better.

I've have not tried the Monster connector so I don't know the diff in sound quality -- which for some may completely supercede all else.

For the Belkin, I know that with the tape adapter, you can only put the line-out level to about 80% max or you get distortion. With the aux-in, you can put it to almost 100%.

Dennis

BTW, anyone want to buy my two month old Sony tape adapter? very good sound quality -- but is ain't no aux-in.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Cruisin'

thanks for the help got my aux input to work great and i love it only 3.00 and about 2 hours of work