audio situation still in the works

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation audio situation still in the works

So, i bought my car used, and the previous owner blew out pretty much all of the speakers. i have replaced the 4 speakers with kenwoods and the factory sub. i have also added a diamond amp. i went to a cheap installer for the amp and hi-lo converters and i get feedback noises and engine whine. i turned down the gains in order to ease the engine whine. had it like this for a while.

next i read about sound processors and installed one myself thinking that this would restore some bass. i got the mtx req5. in order to install, i removed my hi-lo converters and tapped into those wires. it does boost some lower sound but its just not strong enough.

so time passed, i got another amp (kenwood 1000 watt) and 2x12 type E subs installed by bestbuy (one that i work at). so he says the cheap guy who previously installed it used crappy wires and did a piss poor job. he re-wired, and re-positioned my amps. made me a amp rack and made it look really clean. i have to admit the bass im getting is exactly what i want. a deep powerful sound that doesnt annoy. however now he after all his work i get a major whine. so he told me that he would install ground loop filters and a bass nob.

three weeks later, he finally gets time for me (customers get priority and not employees). he keeps insisting that its my sound processor that is giving the whining noise. and i told him that there was no whining noise before. but he says now that i have two amps that thats the reason why. i still dont believe him.

so this time he says he rewired my sound processor and added the bass nob. did not install the ground loop filters. and now there is less engine whine noise. but it is still there. i honestly do not know what to do now.

cliffs: replaced factory speakers myself. had cheap installer install amp and hi-lo converters, had engine whine, turned down gains. later got mtx req5 sound processor to replace hi-lo converters. later later, got an additional amp and 2x12 subs from best buy, he rewires everything. sounds great except now got major engine whine. later later again, he re-wires, less whine, and says that its my sound processor and i dont believe him. what now?
Old 05-17-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Engine noise/whine/feedback is due to a bad ground and or RCA's not being shielded/being too close to other wires/electrical components.

in the 08's you have a noise canceling mic that caused the feedback, but not so much in this case.

I would go back over the wiring. Also it wouldn't cause any harm to take out the sound processor to see if it's the culprit.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Advanced

thanks for the advice. i will try that. i have an '06 btw
Old 05-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Im not familiar with your sound processor but keep all your rca's as far away from any power wires as you can... re-ground everything that might help.

Does the noise get louder when you hit the gas or is it just constant static unless u turn the volume up high?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 05TLbase
Im not familiar with your sound processor but keep all your rca's as far away from any power wires as you can... re-ground everything that might help.

Does the noise get louder when you hit the gas or is it just constant static unless u turn the volume up high?

it does get louder as i hit the gas. im now regretting my purchase from onlinecarstereo.com. they are horrible service as i've read from other reviewers. I will have to be w/o my sound processor for 4 to 8 weeks.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:27 AM
Instructor

Best advice I can give is rip everything apart... run the wires the right way... power on drivers side, rca's and speaker wire on passengers... dont go in the middle in the front to close to transmission (major source of noise) and if ur amps/processor are sharing a ground with any stock components, ground it by itself
Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Advanced

thanks for the advice, i will surely re-wire it.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Advanced

i also looked this up and maybe will try this as well http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpo...87&postcount=5
Old 06-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Advanced

wait, so im confused now. was i supposed to install the sound processor before the factory amp or after? i have been reading around and some people install after factory amp?
Old 06-14-2010, 01:02 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
After.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Instructor

after so you wont lose any functionality of the stock stereo like bluetooth voice commands and so on
Old 06-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
after so you wont lose any functionality of the stock stereo like bluetooth voice commands and so on
Let me help.

All functionality is in the Head Unit. If you do before you need a line driver to boast the signal. If you go after you need a Line out converter to drop the signal.

Normally you run you power line on the driver side and speaker/RCAs on the passenger side. This is due to cost. Noise from crossing power and audio cables is a myth.

You can run you RCAs and speaker wire down the middle too since the transmission resides in the engine compartment not the middle of the car.

I am not familar with you processor but usually this noise happens from:

1. You do not have something (maybe your processor) ground properly
2. You have an exposed wire somewhere.
3. Your ground point it not good enough
4. Bad component
Old 06-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Advanced

wow... im retarded. so now i gotta re-wire the processor. line driver as in line output converters?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Burning Brakes

A line driver and a line output converter are two different devices.

A line driver will boast the signal coming from your head unit to something that is acceptable to your aftermarket amps.

Head unit----->Line Driver----->Aftermarket Amps

A line output converter (LOC) will reduce a signal coming from your stock amp to something that is acceptable to your aftermarket amps

Head unit--->Stock Amp--->Line output converter---> Aftermarket amps

I strongly suggest you take your car to a professional audio shop and avoid any more headaches. I have found that the TL, with the properly install equipment, will be able to output more than enough bass without additional processors such as the MTX.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Instructor

Noise from power cables is def Not a myth... shielded RCAs might minimize this but Id rather be safe than sorry. (true with whole transmission thing too)

I thought I seen the HFL going into the stock amp figured it controlled all that thanks for correcting me king
Old 06-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

No worrys 05tlbase,

I just redid my wiring in my trunk. Switching from passive crossovers to active crossovers and a DSP unit. My power comes down the driver side. My RCAs go down the middle and the speakers wires come down the passenger. My power cable, ground, speaker cables and RCAs all come togther in the trunk. Zip tied everything together. No noise from the passive setup. switched to the active crossover/DSP and now i get a little noise. Trying to get it fixed before an MECA meet this weekend. I don't think I'll get it done in time. Still gotta tune the dumb thing and play with the crossover points
Old 06-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Instructor

the love/hate tuning relationship....

not to highjack or anything but I was wondering if someone else had the same problem I do...

I turn the bass up a tad and the enclosure for the 3rd brake light starts smaking the back window like crazy. I havent tried any fixes yet really 20% tint on the back itll still show if I stick a bunch of foam or something up there. Any ideas?
Old 06-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by King of Pain
I strongly suggest you take your car to a professional audio shop and avoid any more headaches. I have found that the TL, with the properly install equipment, will be able to output more than enough bass without additional processors such as the MTX.
because i took it to the "professionals" its why im in this situation in the first place. the first guy i took it to, put LOC's before the stock amp. the second guy was clueless but questioned it. but he still just worked off of their work.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Advanced

the love/hate tuning relationship....

not to highjack or anything but I was wondering if someone else had the same problem I do...

I turn the bass up a tad and the enclosure for the 3rd brake light starts smaking the back window like crazy. I havent tried any fixes yet really 20% tint on the back itll still show if I stick a bunch of foam or something up there. Any ideas?
dont worry about hi-jacking. i should check on my brake light too. after i re-wire everything myself.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by badteddy
because i took it to the "professionals" its why im in this situation in the first place. the first guy i took it to, put LOC's before the stock amp. the second guy was clueless but questioned it. but he still just worked off of their work.
Sorry, What I mean to say was reputable. Many hacks call themselves Professional that don't have a clue what they're doing.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by King of Pain
Sorry, What I mean to say was reputable. Many hacks call themselves Professional that don't have a clue what they're doing.
indeed. many which are most of them. no one specifically specializing in my TL around here that i know of. it's ok. i am taking this all as a learning process.

king of pain is there a thread on your setup if i may ask?
nvm i found it.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/finished-my-audio-upgrade-finally-593417/

Last edited by badteddy; 06-18-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Burning Brakes

The TL is hard to work on. There is so much audio/navi integration in this car. Plus dealing with the HFL and the 5.1 dvd audio just adds to the headaches. I have 5 years working on this car and I'm still learning. Or screwing it up and trying to fix it. I'm just a hack compared to some of the other TLs in this forum. JPTL05's TL comes to mind. He is the real master with his set-up.

I've changed some things around since then. but I haven't posted any pictures yet.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Advanced

King of Pain, i really appreciate your input. i really can't wait to get back my sound processor *SIGH* then hook everything back up.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Advanced

so guys, onlinecarstereo.com has finally decided to replace my unit. im going to re-install the sound processor, but should i re-install it back inside my car where it was last time or should i re-wire and install it in the trunk?

i had it installed underneath the passenger seat. I do live in texas so the car gets extremely hot inside. i just thought that my last unit may have malfunctioned due to the heat. i've did some research and the inside of a car becomes like a greenhouse and that would be bad for a sensitive electronic equipment like this sound processor. has anyone else run into a problem like this?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:34 AM
Banned

King of Pain- where do you have your amp remote wire running?
Old 08-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Advanced

so i got a replacement sound processor, and it still makes the noise. i am going to have to try to rip everything apart and try to check all the wires. i did notice however, some wires were just taped together, which totally pissed me off. i rewired them with wire connectors, and still very loud feedback noise. i also notice that when i turn on my headlights, a high pitch noise comes on as well. since i have two amps, i think they share power wire or something. i'll take pics of it later.