Audio problem: pops and goes near silent

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009 | 07:17 PM
04 6MT WDP w/ black Whls

Audio problem: pops and goes near silent

So this doesn't happen very often, but often enough to annoy me. I'll be listening to the radio (my CD changer isn't working) and the volume will be up around 20 (for example), and the speakers will pop, the volume will go silent on all the speakers except the front center, or at least that's what it sounds like... then 10-20 seconds later it will pop again and resume full volume.

Now I bought the car a week ago and it came with two amps installed, one 600W 4-channel hooked up to (I assume) the fronts and rears, and the other amp is an 800W that was hooked up to a sub box... the wire to the box is still there, and they didn't even take the fuse out (lucky it didn't catch fire!). So I don't know how they went about hooking this all up, but I safely assume the front center speaker (and tweets?) are hooked up to the factory amp...? Or...? I also assume that this lack of a complete setup for all the speakers is where I'm having problems, but again, I'm really not a car audio guy.

Any ideas/solutions?
Old 07-17-2011 | 04:15 PM
uhoh here we go again!

any solutions for that popping? having same problem
Old 07-17-2011 | 08:03 PM
Team Owner

More than likely the aftermarket amp is powering the comps and the stock amp is still powering the center. If all speakers go out but the center I would start with the aftermarket amp. Power/ground/remote. Not a whole lot else it could be other than something causing a loss of signal such as a loose RCA. Next time it pops and shuts off, check out the amp to see if the power is on.

Do you notice it more when you hit bumps or corner or brake, or is it random.
Old 07-18-2011 | 03:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
More than likely the aftermarket amp is powering the comps and the stock amp is still powering the center. If all speakers go out but the center I would start with the aftermarket amp. Power/ground/remote. Not a whole lot else it could be other than something causing a loss of signal such as a loose RCA. Next time it pops and shuts off, check out the amp to see if the power is on.

Do you notice it more when you hit bumps or corner or brake, or is it random.
All good advice. Also you will want to check around the stock amp to see how they spliced into the wiring.. Does it have a LOC? Or if it is a whole system shutdown, maybe the amp is overheating and going into protection mode/shutting down.