Anyone using this iPod adaptor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 500 Likes on 278 Posts
Anyone using this iPod adaptor?

hey gang, i was wondering if any of you use this thing

Belkins

seems like it can charge the ipod, you can maintain control of the ipod's interface, and you can juse the little 3.5mm input jack in the car. I just hate that it's got a little 'amplifier' but other than that seems decent.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:52 PM

Received 5,922 Likes on 2,919 Posts
It appears to be another in a long line of FM transmitters. Frankly, there are several direct to the head unit solutions which are far superior and not that hard to install (i.e. USA Spec, Peripheral, DICE, etc.).
Old 08-08-2008, 02:55 PM
iScrape going into

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+2 on what Ttribe said. Most fm transmitters out there are shitty. You should look into like what he mentioned ie: Dice, Peripheral, USA Spec all superior over any fm transmitter.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't think it's FM transmitter, it's got a small 3.5mm connector that you can plug in the aux port
Old 08-08-2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by PhilB81
I don't think it's FM transmitter, it's got a small 3.5mm connector that you can plug in the aux port
Dunno...but, from the link you provided:

"The Auto Kit connects your iPod device to your car's power source and includes an exclusive Belkin cable that charges your iPod from your car's cigarette lighter.
The Auto Kit also provides an adjustable amplifier and 3.5mm audio-out jack that lets you play your iPod through your car stereo or other audio equipment when using a Belkin TuneCast Mobile FM Transmitter or Cassette Adapter. You'll know your Auto Kit is properly connected by its illuminated LED indicator. The unit is also engineered with a replaceable safety fuse to protect from potentially damaging spikes or short circuits.

You can use the Auto Kit with the specially designed Belkin Mobile Cassette Adapter or TuneCast Mobile FM Transmitter (not included) for high-quality audio through your car stereo."
Old 08-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ttribe
Dunno...but, from the link you provided:

"The Auto Kit connects your iPod device to your car's power source and includes an exclusive Belkin cable that charges your iPod from your car's cigarette lighter.
The Auto Kit also provides an adjustable amplifier and 3.5mm audio-out jack that lets you play your iPod through your car stereo or other audio equipment when using a Belkin TuneCast Mobile FM Transmitter or Cassette Adapter. You'll know your Auto Kit is properly connected by its illuminated LED indicator. The unit is also engineered with a replaceable safety fuse to protect from potentially damaging spikes or short circuits.

You can use the Auto Kit with the specially designed Belkin Mobile Cassette Adapter or TuneCast Mobile FM Transmitter (not included) for high-quality audio through your car stereo."
correct, that paragraph there says that you can buy those extra components to make it work (either tape deck or fm transmitter), I was mostly focusing on The Auto Kit also provides an adjustable amplifier and 3.5mm audio-out jack thinking that with that and a male-to-male 3.5mm cable i can just plug this thing in the existing Aux port in the center arm-rest of the car.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by PhilB81
correct, that paragraph there says that you can buy those extra components to make it work (either tape deck or fm transmitter), I was mostly focusing on The Auto Kit also provides an adjustable amplifier and 3.5mm audio-out jack thinking that with that and a male-to-male 3.5mm cable i can just plug this thing in the existing Aux port in the center arm-rest of the car.
Maybe that would work. Unfortunately, you are giving up steering wheel control of the iPod (which a direct solution would provide) and are sacrificing some audio quality.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:54 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belkin Works Well for Me

I've used this unit with a direct plug in to my 2007 TL for over a year and find it very satisfactory. Of course you don't have steering wheel control of anything, but the sound isn't bad once you balance the Belkin volume and the IPOD volume. I find about half volume on the Belkin works well.

The Belkin wire to the IPOD is long enough to snake through the provided console holes so the IPOD can rest on the cup-holder cover and be picked up for viewing.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

I thought the sound came from the pre-amp of the iPod, so I wouldn't have tought that the iPod's volume mattered at all in this.

I realize the sacrifice in audio control interface, but mostly what I listen to from my iPod is Live sets that are in general 2hours long, but i have several that are 6 to 8 hours. The thought of fast forwarding the first 2 hours on a set like that pretty much makes me want to hang myself. That is why I want to keep the iPod's interface, for the fast forward through the circular touch interface.

I used to have a 'similar' connection in my CL with Pioneer AVIC-D2 unit, but it was connecting to RCA connections (that one had video too, which was nice).

I might stop by some local audio shops, to see if they have some alternative setups, if I find anything interesting, I'll post here.

thanks for everyone's feedback
Old 08-26-2008, 02:00 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also use this same Belkin unit in my 08 Type S. It works just fine for me too, the only reason the site says anything about FM modulation is for people that need that as an option, but since the TL has the AUX/MP3 3.5 mm input jack you would just use that along with the Belkin Dock connector and a 3.5 mm male to male cable. I would also recomend half volume on the Belkin.