Anyone run a single 15"??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Anyone run a single 15"??

Does anyone run or know of anyone that runs a single 15" in our trunk?? I'm wondering if it'll fit or not.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
BuickGN runs 2 15's IB in his.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Dominic@n TL

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm running 2 15" in my trunk....
Old 01-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 371 Posts
U should know the answer to that...lol...your the trunk monkey...
Old 01-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by niebur3
Yeah I know, but I figured a box might be a little more tricky than just building a baffle. I wasn't sure if we could squeeze 16" height or not. My sealed is at 14"

Originally Posted by Joelito2983
I'm running 2 15" in my trunk....
Can I see pics?? Specs?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Dominic@n TL

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
Yeah I know, but I figured a box might be a little more tricky than just building a baffle. I wasn't sure if we could squeeze 16" height or not. My sealed is at 14"

Can I see pics?? Specs?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

what trunk! Damn. If I did a 15" it'd be something that can be ran in like a 1cuft or so sealed. Less than half the size of my box now so it'll be perfect. We shall see though...think I have a buyer for my subs and PDX. Gotta find someone to snatch up the 3sixty.2 and Sundown 100.4
Old 01-17-2012, 02:22 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
I have a single 15 in a ported box. Fits in just perfect without any space to spare heighth-wise.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Hey Trunk Monkey, get a 15" that can be mounted Infinite Baffle and have your whole trunk available. It will extend lower than a box and take less power to reach full excursion....win win!

BuickGN has 2 15" subs mounted IB and has his whole trunk still available.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Hey Trunk Monkey, get a 15" that can be mounted Infinite Baffle and have your whole trunk available. It will extend lower than a box and take less power to reach full excursion....win win!

BuickGN has 2 15" subs mounted IB and has his whole trunk still available.
Agreed. I just took the car on a trip to the coast with 2 other people and a trunk full of luggage including 4 suitcases and some groceries. How many people can do that with a pair of 15s lol. In an IB friendly car like the TL, there's really no reason not to do it.

After taking the sealed 12s out and going IB 15s, I had to re-aim the headlights as well because the rear end raised up.

If it comes down to it, I would rather do a 12 in a proper sized sealed box than a 15 in too small of a box that will sound boomy. But a single 15 IB is just perfect in every way.

A single 15IDQv3 or one of the Sundown subs would be very nice.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

I just was thinking in terms for price. It can get a little expensive finding 2 15's to do IB. If I sell my 12w6's for $250 each, then I might as well just keep them and go IB. I know there's a guy on here that went IB with the Obsidian 15's and liked them, but I think they're more towards SQ/SPL than nice SQ. Just found out Obsidian is a collaboration from Sundown and Stereo Integrity.....which is nice! 2 great companies. They can be had for $158 each. The Dayton HO 15" can be had for about $170 each. I'm not sure if a single 15 would be enough in IB form, but it'd cut the cost in half...obviously. And if I run a 5-channel then I wont have but 400-600 for the sub channel as most of the 5-channels don't have crazy powerful sub channels. Though that Hifonics Zues puts out 1K on the sub channel...crazy!

I just don't know what to do. I don't "need" to sell this stuff, but I guess I'm just getting the itch to change. I don't listen to rap or try to have anyone hear me outside the car, so no real reason to have 2 12w6's taking up 3/4 of the trunk ya know. IB sounds great..but I don't have the garage space to take out the back seat and bolt the baffle up, etc etc. I might be able to make a trip home one weekend..who knows. Ahhh....going insane. What to do...what to do..
Old 01-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

I just was thinking in terms for price. It can get a little expensive finding 2 15's to do IB. If I sell my 12w6's for $250 each, then I might as well just keep them and go IB. I know there's a guy on here that went IB with the Obsidian 15's and liked them, but I think they're more towards SQ/SPL than nice SQ. Just found out Obsidian is a collaboration from Sundown and Stereo Integrity.....which is nice! 2 great companies. They can be had for $158 each. The Dayton HO 15" can be had for about $170 each. I'm not sure if a single 15 would be enough in IB form, but it'd cut the cost in half...obviously. And if I run a 5-channel then I wont have but 400-600 for the sub channel as most of the 5-channels don't have crazy powerful sub channels. Though that Hifonics Zues puts out 1K on the sub channel...crazy!

I just don't know what to do. I don't "need" to sell this stuff, but I guess I'm just getting the itch to change. I don't listen to rap or try to have anyone hear me outside the car, so no real reason to have 2 12w6's taking up 3/4 of the trunk ya know. IB sounds great..but I don't have the garage space to take out the back seat and bolt the baffle up, etc etc. I might be able to make a trip home one weekend..who knows. Ahhh....going insane. What to do...what to do..
You know my opinion already. It would cost about $35 to go IB with what you have and once you hear them you will be obsessed with car audio again. Any of those other subs are a downgrade other than pure output, the W6 has a truly wonderful suspension and motor. When mine was IB I could play a 10hz test tone at full excursion and there was no motor or suspension noise at all.

The only reason I could see to sell them is if you need the money. Otherwise you're going to sell them, buy a lesser sub, and may or may not be happy with it. The W6 is a known great IB sub while the others are probably good but no one knows for sure. Plus you have a little more cone area than a single 15 right now so SPL will be similar and they will move 25mm before hitting their mechanical limits, just about the xmax of the W7 so they move a decent amount of air.

I didn't have a garage either. I cut the baffle on the patio, built the rest of it in the living room, drilled a hole in the top of the rear deck and bought a 6" bolt to go through it. All I had to do was position the baffle in the trunk and catch a couple threads on the bolt. That held everything in place so the rest of the install was easy. It was a 1 person job and took about an hour until it was functional. You can seal everything at your leisure.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by I hate cars
You know my opinion already. It would cost about $35 to go IB with what you have and once you hear them you will be obsessed with car audio again. Any of those other subs are a downgrade other than pure output, the W6 has a truly wonderful suspension and motor. When mine was IB I could play a 10hz test tone at full excursion and there was no motor or suspension noise at all.

The only reason I could see to sell them is if you need the money. Otherwise you're going to sell them, buy a lesser sub, and may or may not be happy with it. The W6 is a known great IB sub while the others are probably good but no one knows for sure. Plus you have a little more cone area than a single 15 right now so SPL will be similar and they will move 25mm before hitting their mechanical limits, just about the xmax of the W7 so they move a decent amount of air.

I didn't have a garage either. I cut the baffle on the patio, built the rest of it in the living room, drilled a hole in the top of the rear deck and bought a 6" bolt to go through it. All I had to do was position the baffle in the trunk and catch a couple threads on the bolt. That held everything in place so the rest of the install was easy. It was a 1 person job and took about an hour until it was functional. You can seal everything at your leisure.

Well...I might be going this route as the guy wanting to purchase my subs and box won't get back to me. I really don't want to pack them up and send them through mail as that's just scary. I don't trust myself...let alone these damn freight companies. Plus I'd only get about $210/sub after shipping, so not worth it.

Matt, if you don't mind snapping a few pictures to show where your baffle is placed, as far as how far back from the seats, etc....where you bolted it down, etc that'd be amazing. My first thoughts is that I would use the 2 cross members that are on the back on the rear seat to bolt into for a little extra rigidity, along with using some "L" brackets and bolting into the rear deck. I thought I would sell all this b/c it might lessen the burden of an engagement ring, but my girl just said she has a ring that's her grandma's that she loves and would love to have that as her ring if I could just get it re-sized. SUPER awesome on my wallet...but I feel a little cheap if I did that. I dunno what route to take on that yet, but we'll see.

I've got a buyer for my Sundown 100.4, so I need to figure out if a simple 5 channel will do enough power if I put these in IB. I can sell my PDX and just run a 5-channel and make few bucks back that way
Old 01-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Team Owner

Well...I might be going this route as the guy wanting to purchase my subs and box won't get back to me. I really don't want to pack them up and send them through mail as that's just scary. I don't trust myself...let alone these damn freight companies. Plus I'd only get about $210/sub after shipping, so not worth it.

Matt, if you don't mind snapping a few pictures to show where your baffle is placed, as far as how far back from the seats, etc....where you bolted it down, etc that'd be amazing. My first thoughts is that I would use the 2 cross members that are on the back on the rear seat to bolt into for a little extra rigidity, along with using some "L" brackets and bolting into the rear deck. I thought I would sell all this b/c it might lessen the burden of an engagement ring, but my girl just said she has a ring that's her grandma's that she loves and would love to have that as her ring if I could just get it re-sized. SUPER awesome on my wallet...but I feel a little cheap if I did that. I dunno what route to take on that yet, but we'll see.

I've got a buyer for my Sundown 100.4, so I need to figure out if a simple 5 channel will do enough power if I put these in IB. I can sell my PDX and just run a 5-channel and make few bucks back that way
That's awesome, congrats on the almost engagement. I'm at the same spot as well.

For the amp, 200w each will push them to their mechanical limits and way past xmax. 100w each would work fine. Your typical 4-500w sub channel of a 5 channel will be more than enough.

I'll get the pictures when I get home.

There are two ways that I know of doing the baffle. You can bolt it to the cross members or you can bolt the paremeter to the car slightly back away from the braces. You don't want to do both. I did both and ended up with squeaks as the body flexed over bumps, especially driveways.

This last time I used simple L brackts to couple the baffle to the car because I wanted support on the sides since the 15s don't leave a whole lot of material for support. I laid down weatherstripping anywhere the baffle touched the car.

The best thing to remember is don't try and make the baffle fit super tight. Cut it a little small, work it in the car and screw it down. You can seal it later.

With a pair of 12W6s I suggest mounting them with a little clearance from the braces. They have a full inch of excursion in either direction so even if you doubled up on the baffle they might hit the braces. Unfortunately you can't back mount them.

I'll get into more detail when I get off work.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
lollll@how small that box is. Those must sound like ass.

OP, most 15's will work.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Make a day roadie up to KC and we can straighten you out. ...Norman ain't that far. We can build baffles, boxes, etc. in a few minutes and get you on your way. I also have 8s to 15s laying around that you could hear in action in your own car...
Old 01-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Dominic@n TL

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
lollll@how small that box is. Those must sound like ass.

OP, most 15's will work.
The box isnt that small the problem is that the box has a slant on the btop back part of the box thinking i was going to push the box all the way back.... eventualy i installed my three amps behind it and it gave me very little room for the box so i have about 5 " from the sub to the trunk door left...

I really dont need the trunk space since i have a 06 Tacoma and a 08 accord also...
Old 01-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Team Owner

What brand are those?
Old 01-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
The box isnt that small the problem is that the box has a slant on the btop back part of the box thinking i was going to push the box all the way back.... eventualy i installed my three amps behind it and it gave me very little room for the box so i have about 5 " from the sub to the trunk door left...

I really dont need the trunk space since i have a 06 Tacoma and a 08 accord also...
That box is small for 2 15's, bro.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Team Owner

Sounds like the box is not a rectangle. I'm wondering how much airspace they have.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Sounds like the box is not a rectangle. I'm wondering how much airspace they have.
Nope. If it was, that pic looks like it'd be around 4cuft sealed, but since it's slanted...I'd guess around 3cuft
Old 01-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Team Owner

I read this the other day and just now realized you used my name from the other forum lol.

Nope. If it was, that pic looks like it'd be around 4cuft sealed, but since it's slanted...I'd guess around 3cuft
I'm guessing the top is narrower than the bottom so it might have more airspace than it looks at first glance. One thing it does is illustrate how much of the trunk a 15 will take up.

I'm still going to get those pictures for you. I've been getting home after dark every day. I'm off Friday so for sure by then.

I know I've been promising finished pictures of my subs for close to 6 months now but soon, very soon.

It's kind of neat to compare IB to sealed in the space department:

Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

^ good god at the w6 job hahah
Old 01-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Team Owner

^ good god at the w6 job hahah
That was taken in the middle of rewiring with the trunk stripped (mostly removing a ton of wiring). That was always a temporary setup until the IB15s arrived. The W6 looked very nice that way once I put the carpet in.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Dominic@n TL

What brand are those?
They are a cheap brand called comando they are 15" 2400w 1 ohm stable subs...and trust me they hit hard in the setup i have at this moment... i also have a extra yellow top in the trunk.

This is just until i get the subs i want ....2 15" kicker L7
Old 01-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Team Owner

They are a cheap brand called comando they are 15" 2400w 1 ohm stable subs...and trust me they hit hard in the setup i have at this moment... i also have a extra yellow top in the trunk.

This is just until i get the subs i want ....2 15" kicker L7
Thats the nice thing about large subs, they don't have to be expensive to sound good and get loud.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Dominic@n TL

Thats the nice thing about large subs, they don't have to be expensive to sound good and get loud.
To be honest ,ima try these subs for a couple of weeks and if they do the job im willing to stick with them for a while..