Anyone already install Vsokolov's Plug & Play unit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know if this will help anyone or not, but the instructions on some of the modulator units say to keep it away from the source.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have a wireless fm modulator made by monster that i use for my ipod, works perfectly, perfect clear audio too
Old 03-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rbf351
i have a wireless fm modulator made by monster that i use for my ipod, works perfectly, perfect clear audio too

Yeah I know someone that has the monster cable for their I-pod too. It sounded pretty good from what I can remember.

Interesting information!
I read on here that someone bought a Rosen FM modulator and connected the two antenna leads together and it became wireless but, that they (Rosen) doesn't tell you that it's possible in the instructions. Well I have this DEI one here and thought WTH I will try the same with it. Wouldn't you know it works as a wireless one too and it's pretty good for a fast splicing job. I will see if it sounds any better once I get everything wired up and in place correctly. If so then I just saved myself the hassle of pulling the dash apart for the install. Also, I should have pretty easy access to it if it were to ever go bad. More to come!

~Chris
Old 03-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^^^ Ya, I read that some guy said that...he got his unit for like $20 bucks though, right?

see what's really interesting is that these FM modulators run around $10-$100....how do you know which is going to be the best one? which one would have the best quality? i mean if they use the same concept/logic, then it would just be practical to get the cheapest one, right?

anyways, it's good to hear this, so definitely keep us updated
Old 03-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinen
^^^^ Ya, I read that some guy said that...he got his unit for like $20 bucks though, right?

see what's really interesting is that these FM modulators run around $10-$100....how do you know which is going to be the best one? which one would have the best quality? i mean if they use the same concept/logic, then it would just be practical to get the cheapest one, right?

anyways, it's good to hear this, so definitely keep us updated
That was me, I picked up the fm mod off ebay for $20. Usually sells for around $100. I did a lot of research on fm mods, the specs on the rosen seemed to be very good that's why I choose that one. So far I haven't had any static it's been crystal clear. I can actually pick up the signal on my home stereo which is about 20 ft. from where I park my TL (that's pretty good range I think).
Old 03-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
So you don't have to do anything special with the switch or can you just turn it off and on at will? What did they charge you?

I can just flip that switch and it goes to the dvd audio or flip it back and it goes to XM. ONLY when I am using XM though.. SO IF I am using the cd player i hear the cd and I can flip that switch up and down 1000 times and nothing happens.. Its only when XM is on. Is that what you meant? Sorry wasn't sure.

My install was done when they did my whole system.. so it was just something I wanted done and they did it. I got the dvd/ navi conversion and the system from the same shop at the same time

ryan
Old 03-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by vidoprof
I can just flip that switch and it goes to the dvd audio or flip it back and it goes to XM. ONLY when I am using XM though.. SO IF I am using the cd player i hear the cd and I can flip that switch up and down 1000 times and nothing happens.. Its only when XM is on. Is that what you meant? Sorry wasn't sure.

My install was done when they did my whole system.. so it was just something I wanted done and they did it. I got the dvd/ navi conversion and the system from the same shop at the same time

ryan

Hmm.. that might not be so bad. Wish I knew how they did it. Oh well I am almost done with the install and I will see how the FM modulator sounds when I am finally completed.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Install Completed!

Ok good news and bad news. The Bad news is that the sound was horrible with the FM modulator mounted under the seat and staticy anywhere else in the car. The other bad part is that I kinda have Video noise or interference (barely noticable). I think I can correct the Video interference by grounding to the chasis instead of the wiring on the factory nav unit in the rear.

The good news is that you can reach the antenna from the back of the radio with lots of patience. I used a coat hanger to pull it towards me and then pull it out of the back with my fingers (easier said than done especially with bigger hands). Then getting the other one back in was kinda fun too. However, with patience you can do it. To get the antenna back into the radio I just fished it up into the back aligned with the hole (as a guide) and then with a long screwdriver I pushed it into place. Everything for the most part went pretty smooth except for a clip that broke on the drivers side panel. But, after a little goop and letting it sit for a couple hours it was good to go again (or so I hope). I spent 2 days doing this. Most of the down time was spent planning on how I was gonna run my wires mount my DVD player things like that. Just take your time and it should all work out for the best. Good luck!

~Chris

P.S. The sound with the DEI/Directed Video FM Modulator is SUPERB! I have no complaints or regrets at this time. Also it's easily accessible in case it goes bad.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JDM: how did you run your RCAs?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:12 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
JDM: how did you run your RCAs?

I used the FM modulator and ran the RCA's from that to the DVD play which I put in the glove box. I put the FM modulator up against the firewall behind the carpet next to the drain tube. Then ran the RCA's from there to the cover below the glove box to the back/bottom of the DVD player.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Wants an M3 in

what about the RCA for video from the VSOLOKOV unit? Where did you run that?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Now with i-Vtec

what about the RCA for video from the VSOLOKOV unit? Where did you run that?

The video cable is run along with the switch wires from the back of the trunk to the glove box. Wires are hidden under the panels that run alon the bottom of the door sills. The wires (power & ground) for the DVD player are tapped into the ignition harness on the driver side. The wires are then run from there to the glove box and the power wires for the FM modulator are tapped into the DVD power wires. So far so good. Also, the 2 switches for the Nav conversion unit and the FM modulator are mounted into the black panel under the glove box. No wires or switches are visible inside. I do need to run the remote eye for the DVD player though as opening and closing the glove box is going to get old.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:51 AM
Wants an M3 in

the dvd player takes dc power?

Edit: I also ran wires under the panels but found it kind of hard to tuck the wires, especially the video RCA, under. Do the panels come up/off? I need to get in there and do some reworking I think.... I want to get a ps2 slim first though. The xbox is too big/gaudy IMHO.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran all of my wires through the center console, then under the carpetting in the rear, and then under the back seat (had to remove both the seat cushion and the backs), and then into the trunk. There's lots of room under the carpet (it's padded) and there's lots of room under the seat cushions as well. My website has some pics of where I passed the wires... might be of interest.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Wants an M3 in

yeah i ran my switch under the back carpeting. wasnt a fun experience!
Old 03-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Pro

Old 03-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Yeah I need a new Digi Cam maybe I will buy one tonight.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Wants an M3 in

the dvd player takes dc power?

Edit: I also ran wires under the panels but found it kind of hard to tuck the wires, especially the video RCA, under. Do the panels come up/off? I need to get in there and do some reworking I think.... I want to get a ps2 slim first though. The xbox is too big/gaudy IMHO.
No answers for this JDM?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Now with i-Vtec

No answers for this JDM?
Yeah it runs off 12 volt. It's the DEI/Directed Video Din sized unit that he was offering along with the Nav conversion. It also has a TV tuner built in which I am not going to be using since I have DVD's. Oh and it also plays MP3's of course.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Wants an M3 in

what about the panels? Do they come off or do you just tuck better than I do?
Old 03-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Banned

Has anyone ever used Pyle. They dont look bad but I want to get personal info on it.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Now with i-Vtec

what about the panels? Do they come off or do you just tuck better than I do?

Yep. Pull the trim up around the door so the bottom panels are free and then pull them straight up. It's pretty easy and easier than going under carpet. I know because I have done it several times on previous cars.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by AcuraTL2k4
Has anyone ever used Pyle. They dont look bad but I want to get personal info on it.

Garbage! Go with something that's quality or you will regret it.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Banned

JDM - how do you like your DEI/Directed fm modulator. What model did you get and is yours wired or wireless.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by AcuraTL2k4
JDM - how do you like your DEI/Directed fm modulator. What model did you get and is yours wired or wireless.

Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
Install Completed!

Ok good news and bad news. The Bad news is that the sound was horrible with the FM modulator mounted under the seat and staticy anywhere else in the car. The other bad part is that I kinda have Video noise or interference (barely noticable). I think I can correct the Video interference by grounding to the chasis instead of the wiring on the factory nav unit in the rear.

The good news is that you can reach the antenna from the back of the radio with lots of patience. I used a coat hanger to pull it towards me and then pull it out of the back with my fingers (easier said than done especially with bigger hands). Then getting the other one back in was kinda fun too. However, with patience you can do it. To get the antenna back into the radio I just fished it up into the back aligned with the hole (as a guide) and then with a long screwdriver I pushed it into place. Everything for the most part went pretty smooth except for a clip that broke on the drivers side panel. But, after a little goop and letting it sit for a couple hours it was good to go again (or so I hope). I spent 2 days doing this. Most of the down time was spent planning on how I was gonna run my wires mount my DVD player things like that. Just take your time and it should all work out for the best. Good luck!

~Chris

P.S. The sound with the DEI/Directed Video FM Modulator is SUPERB! I have no complaints or regrets at this time. Also it's easily accessible in case it goes bad.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Wants an M3 in

the icon TV one does okay. A little static sometimes.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Pro

so as of now, we have two really good fm modulators:

1) Rosen
2) DEI

any other ones? if people could post the modulators that they are using and the prices associated with it and where they bought it, that would be of great HELP to all of us!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:51 PM
Now with i-Vtec

so as of now, we have two really good fm modulators:

1) Rosen
2) DEI

any other ones? if people could post the modulators that they are using and the prices associated with it and where they bought it, that would be of great HELP to all of us!!!

Any local stereo shop that sells DEI products probably has them in stock or you can order one from Vsokolov. Personally I would go with either of the 2 and plug it in versus trying to go wireless as I was unsuccessful with the DEI product. You can get to the cable from behind so that makes it worth it IMO. Pics coming soon. I just picked up my new digi cam and will take some tonight/tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

So to sum this all up......we need:

-VIDEO:The unit at www.naviplus.tv website?
-AUDIO:The AUX to systems WITH navigation interface at
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...?productid=200
-dvd player

If this is correct does anyone have a estimated price for this install (parts only)?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Wants an M3 in

correct ... but that aux system still has problems! that is why alot of people went with xm modulators.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Yada, Yada, Yada

Anyone try tapping into the XM receiver in the trunk to route the sound from the DVD player - similar to the way PeterUbers ran his MP3 player audio?
Old 03-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Advanced

My plug and play unit is still sitting in my trunk. Does anyone know how to install it? How to remove the panels? or do I remove the seats to find that cable? How can I install the power to that unit without splicing anything? Please give me details from step one to finish for those who installed the unit themselves. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2005, 04:56 PM
master tl

yeah i just want to know where did u guys tap the power cause i dont want to screw anything up
Old 03-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Pro

JDM5lugHatch is going to be taking pics soon so we should be seeing that over the next several days (right JDM lol? )
Old 03-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Advanced

is there anymore GB going on? I missed the GB last time...
Old 03-18-2005, 05:04 AM
Wants an M3 in

jerzey there are a few write ups already on how to do this ... search for them then ask specific questions ... OR maybe someone else will be willing to write it all out for you? I mostly just studied the other write ups and figured alot out on my own. Got it done in about 6 hours.

For power I used a few "add a circuit" lines in my fuse box. It allows you to run power from a fuse tap of your choosing (also in a few peoples write ups!).
Old 03-18-2005, 05:43 AM
Now with i-Vtec

JDM5lugHatch is going to be taking pics soon so we should be seeing that over the next several days (right JDM lol? )

Yeah I should have some Sat or Sunday at the latest. I just bout a new Digi Cam but for some reason I can't get excellent quality pics like I seen that have been taken with the same camera. Hopefully I will get it all sorted out.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:41 AM
Wants an M3 in

Originally Posted by DarkZ
is there anymore GB going on? I missed the GB last time...
He just started another one ...
Old 03-18-2005, 04:31 PM
master tl

damn it so anyone know OTHER than add a circuit where can we tap our power
Old 03-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Advanced

He just started another one ...
hey man, i did a search and i cant find his new GB topic, could you post the link? thanks man.

Quick Reply: Anyone already install Vsokolov's Plug & Play unit?