Any TL owners in Iowa? - Audio guinea pig wanted

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Any TL owners in Iowa? - Audio guinea pig wanted

I'm looking have a little project done and need the assistance of a TL owner in Iowa. Ben Milne - owner of Elemental Designs and I are trying to get another custom sub box to the market for the TL. This would be a direct fit - similar to in nature to the one currently on the market. link I have done the initial test fittings and mock ups - however more are needed. The MDF/ glass box will have to be fitted gone through more mock ups and more test fittings prior to releasing a final product. There are many templates on the CNC that need to be worked out due to the nature of the TL's trunk. If you can help out please let me know as I live in Ohio and its not that easy for me to get out to Iowa. All and all you'd need to donate about 8 hours of your time.

MODs - if this is inappropriate - please move /close this.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Why do you need more than 1 test vehicle? All the trunks 04-08 are the same
Old 06-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jnc2000
I'm looking have a little project done and need the assistance of a TL owner in Iowa. Ben Milne - owner of Elemental Designs and I are trying to get another custom sub box to the market for the TL. This would be a direct fit - similar to in nature to the one currently on the market. link I have done the initial test fittings and mock ups - however more are needed. The MDF/ glass box will have to be fitted gone through more mock ups and more test fittings prior to releasing a final product. There are many templates on the CNC that need to be worked out due to the nature of the TL's trunk. If you can help out please let me know as I live in Ohio and its not that easy for me to get out to Iowa. All and all you'd need to donate about 8 hours of your time.

MODs - if this is inappropriate - please move /close this.
He's pretty much asking for a volunteer with an 04-08 TL, who is closer to Elemental Designs, since the OP lives in a different state.

What are the plans of a custom enclosure for our TL's, jnc? Anything different then the link you posted? Price range? Thanks for getting the project started.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:01 PM
mrrocan red '07 tl-s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where at in iowa? i live in Rockford,Il. not too far from Northern Iowa border but then again he may be way south??and what is the incentive for the drive,time,blah,blah,blah. ya know the drive
Old 06-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

JerZDevil: You are correct. I'm looking since the trunks are the same I just need someone to finish up the process for me. Also, you can expect the pricing for the production product to be significantly less then anything that is on the market. Anybody who is able to lend there vehicle will get a discount on the final product. PM me for details.

The box would be similar in nature to the one I linked above. One of the main differences though would be the box would be able to be securely bolted to the TL utilizing all factory mounting options. This would allow for a much more secure fit then the pressure form type fit.

Here is an example of an enclosure they make for the RSX.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=573

Below is a link to all of their VSI boxes:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=1_78

Essentially all the drawings are into the CAD software - we just don't want to start cutting until we know have a volunteer.

Rockfordace: Elemental Designs is in Newton Iowa - right off Rt 80 and 14. I know that I80 is closed right now due to flooding but there are ways into town still.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Below is an email from Ben giving some more details into this project...

Justin,

My assumption for cost on the box would be for everyone else we'd shoot for 200-230 dollars shipped.

If we can come in cheaper we will.

If someone would let us be the test mule I'd just give them the first box for free as long as they bought the subwoofer to go in it and let us use their car for picture purpose to put it on the web site with.

We'd also need the car here for the better part of a entire day. It takes quite a bit of time to shoot, cut, fit, reshoot, cut, fit, recut, refit, wrap and photograph the car.

We'd just start with the 1 side box and shoot for a 10" or 12" box. Still not 100% what we'll have with depth exactly but if we can fit a e5.12 in there that will be our goal. If not we'll use a beefy 10".
Old 06-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Will the box be sealed or ported? If sealed, how is this accomplished? Would one need to Duramat the entire inside area?

I like this type of option but am going to try the free-air JL 8" direct replacement first since I am looking for teeth rattling bass, just more than the factory one has.