Another DEAD Battery. Whats New?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Another DEAD Battery. Whats New?

On Friday I went to the stores with my family. When we got back, I parked the car in the garage hood first. I dashed out as the kids took the shopping out of the car. I never went back to lock the car. Come Monday morning, I got to open the car and nothing happens. I check the remote and the remote seems to work. I try the car doors and they are all open. I get in. There areno lights, sound or sense of live in the car. I try to start it anyway and there is not even a sound. I am late for work so I take the wife's car. I ask my daughter to call AAA for them to come and jump start it. I could do it but since I parked hood first, the jumper cables are not long enough. The AAA guy comes and tells my daughter that something is draining my battery, He can't figure out what. He suggest I get that fixed before replacing the battery otherwise the new battery will also die.

I get home and I try to start the car. Same thing as in the morning!! What the hell? After talking to the family members, they tell me that the AAA guy said that as soon as he took the booster battery off, the car wouldn't start. In my head I am thinking, the kids must have left a light on. Or could it be HFL. Regardless, shouldn't the battery have gotten some juice? Shouldn't the dash lights come on? I am no confused. Long story short, I NEED a new battery to even get the car out of the garage. My plan is to disconnect the HFL. Its not worth it.

Regarding the battery, this is what was there.

I am sure this is not OEM. No surprise there! FYI, the HFL module in my car has been removed so many times the plastic screw holders are all broken. It is held by one screw. The battery is $107 from NAPA. Do you guys think a similar replacement is okay? Or should I got for a more expensive battery (Optimum?)

This is the report I found home from the AAA dude.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:41 PM
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
You don't need a new battery to get it out of the garage. Put it in neutral and push it out.
At one point you say you plan on disconnecting the HFL. Then you say it's been desconhected many times. You are not reconnecting it are you?
The point is to disconnect it and leave it disconnected. Throw it away.

Last edited by Joecop67; 04-02-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
I buy costco batteries as they will replace them no questions asked whenever you need them or just want a new one. this car eats batteries
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (04-03-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 02:08 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Joecop67
You don't need a new battery to get it out of the garage. Put it in neutral and push it out.
At one point you say you plan on disconnecting the HFL. Then you say it's been desconhected many times. You are not reconnecting it are you?
The point is to disconnect it and leave it disconnected. Throw it away.
Thank you for that useful tip. I didn't try it but its good to know if I ever got stuck in the garage again. The HFL hadn't been disconnected. I did that yesterday and now instead of the booting up message I get "Information Not Found". Time will tell if this is the end of battery woes.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:14 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by pohljm
I buy costco batteries as they will replace them no questions asked whenever you need them or just want a new one. this car eats batteries
Unfortunately, there isn't a Costco around where I live. I went ahead and purchased the same battery from NAPA and all is well. Let's see how long this one lasts.