Aftermarket Radio With Hands Free

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:22 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Radio With Hands Free

Hey guys, I've pounded that search feature for this site, as well as Google.
I am having a very hard time figuring out how to tap my two wires from my steering wheel (accept call / end call) aka hands free link controls to my PAC-SWI-RC or my JVC WK-V200BT DVD receiver.

I found this bit of information, but it lacks any real detail on how to connect the two corresponding pins to any part of the system.
DIY Gen7 steering wheel controls and how to retain stock headunit sound - Drive Accord Honda Forums
dude man make it seem as simple as spicing the two pin wires to the white wire of the PAC-SWI.

Edit:
"On the same note, you can also buy one of those steering wheel audio control adapters and tap into those same wires and connect it to your aftermarket radio to control that instead."
Anyone accomplished this before on this setup (SWI)?
preemptive thanks for any feedback!
Old 07-06-2015, 10:31 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
You can't. The car's HFL buttons are tied to the HFL system,which is then in turn run through the audio system via the car's databus system; not the audio system directly. What you can do is use one of the steering wheel adapters that allows for multi function button assignment (i.e. 1 function for short press, 1 function for long press). AFAIK, the PAC SWI-CP5 and idatalink Maestro SW are the only 2 that currently allow this, but there may be more. With those you could assign, for example, push and hold track down for off hook and track up for on hook.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:39 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just so that I'm being clear. I just want the functionality of the buttons themselves. The HFL unit is disabled and removed, and my JVC came with Bluetooth.

I'm just clarifying that there is / is not a way to use the two buttons and tie them into the PAC-SWI-RCh unit for control of Bluetooth.

Still correct in that it is NOT possible with current setup?

Last edited by Legend Lowry; 07-06-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:39 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend Lowry
Just so that I'm being clear. I just want the functionality of the buttons themselves. The HFL unit is disabled and removed, and my JVC came with Bluetooth.

I'm just clarifying that there is / is not a way to use the two buttons and tie them into the PAC-SWI-RCh unit for control of Bluetooth.

Still correct in that it is NOT possible with current setup?
Yes. The stock HFL buttons will not interface with a Pac Swi-RC.

The Swi-RC connects to the control wires behind the radio. The stock HFL buttons do not transmit on that circuit, thus they will not "talk" to the Swi-RC.