Aftermarket Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Head Unit

Hey guys,

Just got a 2004 Non-Navi TL and love it, but was torn on all of the ipod solutions out there.

As I was looking through the forum, I couldn't find any information about aftermarket head units. In my previous car, I installed an alpine unit that gave me complete control over my ipod through the head unit. If I was to have this unit put into the TL, what featues would I lose from the car ? Would it be worth it to get a head unit or should I opt for the Dice ? Anyway, here is the head unit I had in mind. Any suggestions or advice is more than welcome. Thanks.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=iDA-X100
Old 05-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You would lose your bluetooth, the radio display and the DVD-Audio. You would also have to fabrication your own intall kit since no one makes one for our TL yet. You could take it to an professional installer too. I like Alpines single din head units. I wish they made a nice audio only double din head units without displays.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Is it possible to connect an additional head-unit to the already existing unit?
Like how some DVD head-units can be connected to an aftermarket/stock head-unit. Thus allowing you to play through either player.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by o4Komodo
Is it possible to connect an additional head-unit to the already existing unit?
Like how some DVD head-units can be connected to an aftermarket/stock head-unit. Thus allowing you to play through either player.
You could getto rig it by taking the output from the aftermarket stero and throwing into the stock system, but that almost defeats the sound processing done by the after market HU. If you do it the reverse way, you still loose all the stuff.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by King of Pain
You would lose your bluetooth, the radio display and the DVD-Audio. You would also have to fabrication your own intall kit since no one makes one for our TL yet. You could take it to an professional installer too. I like Alpines single din head units. I wish they made a nice audio only double din head units without displays.
I figured that there would be more negatives than positives. Thanks for the help. On to DVD-Audio I go.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I seen AVIC D3's brand new going for same as your Alpine, than get the pioneer Ipod interface, bluetooth interface & steering wheel interface

http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogram...ehicles&ID=354

You'll get Navi, CD/DVD, AM/FM, HD for MP3s library
Ipod interface for your Ipod & charges it too.
Bluetooth interface
Steering wheel interface will allow you to reuse those buttons on the steering wheel just like before...to control your Ipod, CD/DVD, AM/FM, MP3 library on HD. Full text display I might add.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mb190
I seen AVIC D3's brand new going for same as your Alpine, than get the pioneer Ipod interface, bluetooth interface & steering wheel interface

http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogram...ehicles&ID=354

You'll get Navi, CD/DVD, AM/FM, HD for MP3s library
Ipod interface for your Ipod & charges it too.
Bluetooth interface
Steering wheel interface will allow you to reuse those buttons on the steering wheel just like before...to control your Ipod, CD/DVD, AM/FM, MP3 library on HD. Full text display I might add.
I didn't even think about looking into an AVIC. My only concern with installing one of these units is that it will need to be completely custom. I am going to take a ride this week and see what some of the shops around me have to say and then maybe throw in a D3 or even a Z2
Old 05-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chefmaurod
I didn't even think about looking into an AVIC. My only concern with installing one of these units is that it will need to be completely custom. I am going to take a ride this week and see what some of the shops around me have to say and then maybe throw in a D3 or even a Z2
D3 & Z2 are discontinued, so should go for cheap. I got Z3

check this out:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=avic
Old 05-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Intermediate

D3 & Z2 are discontinued, so should go for cheap. I got Z3

check this out:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=avic
Your system turned out amazing. How is the functionality of the ipod and bluetooth ? If you don't mind me asking, what did it run you after install ?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Burning Brakes

you would also lose your CD option if you got that indash you posted in the first post man
im sure you knew that but just double checkin
Old 05-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 04DCTL
you would also lose your CD option if you got that indash you posted in the first post man
im sure you knew that but just double checkin
Yea, I had last years model in my old car and got used to only listening to my ipod and the radio. It was nice to finally take all the old CD cases out of my car.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

haha i bet, i got like 30 CD's in my car and its gettin old
Old 05-26-2008, 10:59 PM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Get a CarPC !
Old 05-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Instructor

Your system turned out amazing. How is the functionality of the ipod and bluetooth ? If you don't mind me asking, what did it run you after install ?
Ipod functionality better than the three options discussed in this forum now I think: here is a c/p

Text Information Display
Song/album titles, artist names, and track length — memorized by connected iPod — are conveniently displayed on the monitor or headunit display. This capability also permits multiple “search” functions, making it a snap to find a song to play back.

Multiple “Search” Functions
Just like looking for files stored on a PC, iPod-recorded songs may be sorted according to registered playlists, genres, artists, or albums to ensure easy access to each music file.

Repeat Playback
The Repeat Playback function offers two options — repeat playing of a particular song or playback of all tunes from a specified playlist.

“Shuffle Songs” Function for Random Playback
Everybody's favorite option for mixing things up, Shuffle Songs randomly plays the songs in the iPod music library. Every song is a pleasant surprise, and the more files that are stored in the iPod, the greater the surprise.

Bluetooth same/better than stock, haven't really played with it yet.

Everything from ONE mfg., means 100% compatibility.

I have Avic Z3 with custom dash, Bluetooth, Ipod, USB, Rear camera, Steering wheel interface, installed = at cost (family) . Otherwise I was told would be $5K.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VmtSquad
Get a CarPC !
Can't wait to see your FINAL product.....
Old 05-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Intermediate

Besides the Z3 being a touch screen, what are the other major differences between the D3 and the Z3 ? Does the functionality of the add-ons (bluetooth, ipod) work in the same fashion. I see the Z3 out there for a little more than 1k which isnt too bad considering the original price and all the options it provides. I want to get it right the first time with this car, unlike previous cars where I continously made changes to the audio system and was never completely satisfied.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

What about the Kenwood DNX8120. I found this video on it. It can do 5.1 which would be great for the TL.

http://blog.sounddomain.com/gadget/2...ideo-kenw.html
Old 05-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
iv got the kenwood dnx7100 don't know how it differs from the dnx 8120 but if you are looking for ipod functionality it is amazing. also movies look and sound amazing. here's some insall pictures

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...enwood+dnx7100
Old 05-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Besides the Z3 being a touch screen, what are the other major differences between the D3 and the Z3 ? Does the functionality of the add-ons (bluetooth, ipod) work in the same fashion. I see the Z3 out there for a little more than 1k which isnt too bad considering the original price and all the options it provides. I want to get it right the first time with this car, unlike previous cars where I continously made changes to the audio system and was never completely satisfied.
If you check the link I gave you above, it has both installs, D3 & Z3.
D3 = smaller screen & NO HDD...check their website for differences.

They both share the same accessories, Check this link:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/Accessories

They have accessories like; 5.1 amp, XM, Sirius in addition to the usual stuff.
Also have additional video/audio inputs for TV tuner, game consoles (PS2, etc)
Old 05-27-2008, 11:47 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
^^ I knew that sooner or later, big company would create a similar product as CarPcs. I guess that all car company will go that route in 1 or 2 decades.

That Kenwood looks amazing, but no skinning options carpc 1 - kenwood 0 LOL

Vmt
Old 05-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Intermediate

If you check the link I gave you above, it has both installs, D3 & Z3.
D3 = smaller screen & NO HDD...check their website for differences.

They both share the same accessories, Check this link:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/Accessories

They have accessories like; 5.1 amp, XM, Sirius in addition to the usual stuff.
Also have additional video/audio inputs for TV tuner, game consoles (PS2, etc)
Thanks for all the help. May go with the D3 for now(along with the ipod, bluetooth and steering wheel accesories)and see how I like it and possibly upgrade down the road. Will keep you guys posted on how things turn out.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:53 AM
Intermediate

Not sure how much you're willing to spend but I have alpine's w200 in my truck and I think it's the bee's knee's. Just don't buy the bluetooth add-on, it sux. Alpine just released this years version of it which looks even better:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=IVA-W505

ebay price is around 900.00 after shipping
Old 05-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Topflight1
Not sure how much you're willing to spend but I have alpine's w200 in my truck and I think it's the bee's knee's. Just don't buy the bluetooth add-on, it sux. Alpine just released this years version of it which looks even better:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=IVA-W505

ebay price is around 900.00 after shipping
I was at an audio shop last night and they had this out on display. The unit looks absolutely amazing, but for the price, not to have a navigation system that is integrated with it is a major con for me.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Should check out their Avic-F series...coming in June 2008
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...cts/Navigation
Old 07-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Intermediate

Bringing it back from the dead. Just wanted to update what I did. Put in the Avic D3 along with the bluetooth and ipod modules and had the swi-ps put in for steering wheel control. It is absolutely amazing. I can't believe I never went this route in my numerous cars before. Enjoy.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Very nice. Who did the install? I bet it sounds as good as it looks. Once you go aftermarket you never go back.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Intermediate

I had it put in at a local audio shop and the owner did all the work himself. He did a great job and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Just wish I could do something with the now blank radio display below the climate control.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:17 AM
1st Gear

Cool Cd player

Reading through a couple of these forums, i realized these cd players in these cars burn out...i have an 04 TL and my cd player will go into cd, choose any cd i want, spin the fucking thing, but wont play it? lense broken? question is, if i buy another screen have it installed under my nav screen will i loose a lot of screen options? even if its xm, am, fm, cd, whatever. and secondly is it easy to wire up this aftermarket screen to play the same shit as the stock screen switches? cables ?