after market alarm with remote start for 6 sp.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after market alarm with remote start for 6 sp.

what do you guys think? you think it's a good idea to put a remote start on a 6 sp manual? all my friends said no.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Intermediate

i would listen your friends...
Old 11-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gochan
what do you guys think? you think it's a good idea to put a remote start on a 6 sp manual? all my friends said no.
Looked at this on an old manual Jeep Wrangler I had while in college and all the shops told me it was a definite "No". Apparently there is a safety issue with the clutch override.....if it doesn't operate correctly, the vehicle could lurch forward (or backwards depending on what gear it's in) and could harm a child/pet/etc...

So, I've always heard no as well....
Old 11-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Newbie for Life

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...remote+starter

For your review.....in case you wanted more info.....
Old 11-30-2004, 12:33 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gochan,

I've had remote starters on all my MT cars for years. The remote starters have all kinds of failsafes to prevent the car from starting with the car in gear. The most obvious of these failsafes is that the car is RUNNING when you get out of the car and arm the alarm. If the car was in gear, you wouldn't be able to get out of the car. Opening any doors or pressing the brake will not allow the car to start remotely anymore.

I have ordered and will be installing an alarm system/remote starter on my car this weekend. I ordered the Compustar 2WSS. It's a two-way system with a 1.5 mile range on the remote. It's a full-featured alarm system and has AUX channels to be able to control the windows from the remote control. It's going to be a very involved install, but it should be fun.

Zax
Old 11-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

They have all sorts of failsafes to keep the car from starting in gear, until someone defeats them, that is. I had a Civic owner come in one night to test drive an Integra. he told the salesman not to touch the remote because it was a remote start, but he forgot.

The car started, rolled across the parking lot & hit one of our new cars. Not only did the guy not buy a car, we had to fix both cars on our dime.

can you guess what my suggestion is?
Old 11-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I'm betting that the Civic owner had an automatic transmission remote starter installed in his manual transmission car and wasn't obeying the failsafes. Of course you can hack away at a system to "break" it, but if you install a proper MT remote starter, it cannot be started remotely if the car is in gear. I'm guessing it would be possible to leave an automatic transmission car in drive and remotely start it if you bypassed whatever checks there were at installation time, but why would you do that?
Old 11-30-2004, 01:25 PM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by zax123
I'm betting that the Civic owner had an automatic transmission remote starter installed in his manual transmission car and wasn't obeying the failsafes. Of course you can hack away at a system to "break" it, but if you install a proper MT remote starter, it cannot be started remotely if the car is in gear. I'm guessing it would be possible to leave an automatic transmission car in drive and remotely start it if you bypassed whatever checks there were at installation time, but why would you do that?
How do you take the key out of an automatic tranny car if the car is still in Drive or Reverse or L1 or L2??
Old 11-30-2004, 01:26 PM
Team Anthracite Member

What I meant was that any system can be bypassed. Even the system that "holds" your key when the car is in gear.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:43 PM
Newbie for Life

What I meant was that any system can be bypassed. Even the system that "holds" your key when the car is in gear.
Well, that works for the manual systems as well - any system failsafes can be bypassed. What's good for that goose is good for the....well, you know how it goes.

All I know is every shop I called back when I was in college advised against installing them - and they even sold the kits for the manuals! I'm sure improvements have been made to the kits in the last 8 years or so.....but you still have to leave your car out of gear and rely upon your handbrake......and the last few cars I've had, the handbrake wasn't always the most trustworthy bit of equipment on my car.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:46 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

There is no failsafe method for putting a remote start sysytem on a MT car. Could you live with yourself if you hurt someone after remote starting your car and it ran them over?
Old 11-30-2004, 03:13 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
There is no failsafe method for putting a remote start sysytem on a MT car.
There's an ignorant statement for you.

Did you read the thread above? Several people pointed out that if you get the right system, especially on a newer MT, there are wires that can be hooked up so the car CANNOT be remote started if its in gear.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Cruisin'

They actually have mercury switches for MTs. My best man in my wedding is the owner/installer at a reputable shop. I actually watched him install and demo the switches in a Z06 Corvette. Yes it is possible to do it right. either way, its your choice. Try leaving your car in Neutral b/f you get it. See how many times you leave it in drive. Me NEVER. I've had it on my 5.0 mustang and my Accord. I will be getting it for my TL. Just make sure your parking brake works well. Learned that on the 5.0. You just have to be conscious of what you are doing... Best of luck in whatever you decide.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Racer

i rarely leave my car in gear after i aprk. i don't park on hills so i have noreason to leave it in gear. and i wouldn't remote start my car everytime, it's for winter time in the morning when i get ready for work. so i dont'have to run outside adn leave my running car unattended, i'm not really doing it for show and laziness.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:24 PM
Instructor

I have the Viper 791XV which is still top of the line responder.. I have it doing everything on my 6MT including remotely opening closing windows, trunk, and arming sensors all around the car. But the shop that installed all this for me says it is ILLEGAL to have a remote starter on an MT.. so warranty does not apply..

I went to another shop and asked if they can secretly do it for me even if I pay a little extra cash (under the table) .. they said no can't risk the liability.. and again said it's illegal..

I've went to about 3 shops that install car alarms / stereos.. and none of them will add it on for me.

What LAW states that it is illegal to have a remote starter in MT? Can someone point to the section/paragrah from a goverment site of this article? or were these installers blowing smoke up my ass?

It makes no sense that it would be illegal if the remote start will only work when the clutch is in neutral; otherwise ignoring the command from the remote if it is in gear... it sounds easily logical...

Can some one tell me where I can go in the Bay Area, CA to have them add the remote start with the neutral check in place for my TL? And how much? I know it's normally about $80 for labor and small parts if I had an automatic TL.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

I think what those shop are refering to is Directed won't let them install the 791 on MT cars.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:04 AM
Advanced

Starters like the Compustar that zax123 mentioned can be safely installed on a MT car. In my opinion, those who are doubting likely don't know enough about the topic to be giving advice on it.
Starters can be dangerous if, for example, a system that was designed for an automatic trans car is used on a manual - but systems like the compustar are well designed for manuals and use simple logic routines to make sure that the car isn't started in gear.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Racer

anyone know of a good shop to install the viper 771xv with the remote start in the bay area?
Old 12-05-2004, 11:19 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

gochan,

I have ordered and will be installing an alarm system/remote starter on my car this weekend. I ordered the Compustar 2WSS. It's a two-way system with a 1.5 mile range on the remote. It's a full-featured alarm system and has AUX channels to be able to control the windows from the remote control. It's going to be a very involved install, but it should be fun.
Zax
that's the remote system I installed in my previous 2 cars, it never failed in 4 years, using it everyday...
Compustar is very good.

I asked Compustar for an installer they recommended in my area, and I went there. $600 installed.