Adding a Sub

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006 | 11:30 PM
6th Gear

Thumbs up Adding a Sub

Hi guys i just recently purchased a 2006 TL w/ Navi. I currently have a JL 500/1 with a 10" W6. I have been searching this website long and hard and found most of all my questions, the only question remains, is how can i connect my JL amp by using the "signal Sensing Turn-On Method" with out having do go behind the dash. (For those of you who do not know what that is, it is a feature that JL offers so that you do not have to run a remote wire to the amp. The amp can sense a signal from your speaker inputs and it will turn on the amp.) Now i did read where i could add a High/ Low convertor and connect that to the factory sub woofer wires, so i can still use the sub features on the navi. The only problem with the High/Low is that JL does not recommend a Low input signal. Is there something that i can connect back there that will give me High input signal? If so what is the recommended unit for it? Thanks for any help.
Kyle
Old 02-22-2006 | 05:13 AM
Instructor

I have a 250-1 with a HO110W6 and I just unplugged the sub speaker wire from under the rear deck and connected it to the inputs of the amp and set the amp to high level inputs, does the 500-1 and a selectable high/low input switch?
Old 02-22-2006 | 10:19 AM
6th Gear

yeah, it does have the switch, i haven't actually looked at the stock sub hook up, but what gauge wire does the stock sub have? I want to try to keep both subs in function, because i will be taking the box in and out of the trunk for rides home from college. So you are saying that you took the sub wires from stock sub and hooked then directly into the speaker input and just switched the setting?
Old 02-23-2006 | 02:34 AM
AM

i have a hiphonics amp and it dosent have that switch..so how would i get the remote wire?
Old 02-23-2006 | 03:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jax8287
yeah, it does have the switch, i haven't actually looked at the stock sub hook up, but what gauge wire does the stock sub have? I want to try to keep both subs in function, because i will be taking the box in and out of the trunk for rides home from college. So you are saying that you took the sub wires from stock sub and hooked then directly into the speaker input and just switched the setting?
That's what I did with my MTX amp, but I disconnected the stock sub because it rattles like crazy. Just be careful to use the right polarity so your subs don't cancel. The wire size of the stock sub is probably 18GA.
Old 02-23-2006 | 07:36 PM
6th Gear

Smile Re:

That's what I did with my MTX amp, but I disconnected the stock sub because it rattles like crazy. Just be careful to use the right polarity so your subs don't cancel. The wire size of the stock sub is probably 18GA.

The problem with that is, the JL has this feature, but I dont think that it has a high level input insert, like my Kicker amp thats in my other car. The only thing that i see on the amp is for RCAs, which brings me back to my first question, Can i use a high/low converter from the stock sub wires, to get my RCAS then work from there? JL has this feature but they do not recommend a low input, would me adding a converter make it low, or would it still be considered high since it is after an amp? Oh and by the way thanks to you guys who reply, this site is extremly helpful and informational.
Old 02-23-2006 | 08:44 PM
Racer

The problem with that is, the JL has this feature, but I dont think that it has a high level input insert, like my Kicker amp thats in my other car. The only thing that i see on the amp is for RCAs, which brings me back to my first question, Can i use a high/low converter from the stock sub wires, to get my RCAS then work from there? JL has this feature but they do not recommend a low input, would me adding a converter make it low, or would it still be considered high since it is after an amp? Oh and by the way thanks to you guys who reply, this site is extremly helpful and informational.
Does your amp have a high/low input switch? Some amps can take a high (speaker) level input into the RCA's if they have a switch. If not, you can easily use a converter to bring it down to line level. Your only problem may be the remote turn on. Most amps that have a speaker level input also have an auto sense turn on. Your amp may not have this. You may have to add a switch to turn it on and off.
Old 02-23-2006 | 10:06 PM
6th Gear

Re:

Yeah it has both switches, the input sensor and the high/low input switch. If I was to add a high low convertor in the sub stock wires would i have to leave the switch at low, or would it still be considered a high level input?? the prob with a low level is, JL doesn't recommend the user to use a low level input and use the input sensor. Im trying to avoid having to run a remote wire
Old 02-24-2006 | 06:13 AM
Instructor

Just set your switch to high and attcah RCAs to the stock sub wire, done
Old 02-24-2006 | 11:44 AM
6th Gear

alright cool thanks for you guys help!
Old 02-28-2006 | 05:01 PM
Cruisin'

alright cool thanks for you guys help!
Let us know how it sounds when you're done. I'm considering the same set up but am worried there will be too much bass and drown out the rest of the system.
Old 02-28-2006 | 05:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SPIN
Let us know how it sounds when you're done. I'm considering the same set up but am worried there will be too much bass and drown out the rest of the system.
I have a similar setup, a single 10" W6 but with a 400W kicker amp. It compliments the stock system nicely. I disconnected the stock sub, and I have the treble set close to max and the bass set to min. Before I added the sub, I thought about replacing some of the other stock speakers and adding another amp, but how I have it set up sounds pretty good, and I don't know if its worth adding an additional $500 or more.
Old 03-03-2006 | 10:12 PM
10th Gear

sub

question,when you installed the sub did you have to cut any wires on your stock system. how did you hook the sub up let me know. i want to add a sub to me acura but i dont want to cut any of the wires in my car because i have the navi. let me know
Old 03-04-2006 | 05:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by beefster86
question,when you installed the sub did you have to cut any wires on your stock system. how did you hook the sub up let me know. i want to add a sub to me acura but i dont want to cut any of the wires in my car because i have the navi. let me know
You don't have to cut any wires. All you have to do is tap into the two wires going to the OEM sub. You can use those blue connectors that you crush on to tap into the wire, or just use a knife and cut away some of the insulation and solder another wire to it.
Old 03-04-2006 | 06:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jjh1234
You don't have to cut any wires. All you have to do is tap into the two wires going to the OEM sub. You can use those blue connectors that you crush on to tap into the wire, or just use a knife and cut away some of the insulation and solder another wire to it.
Yeah you can tap into the stock sub's wires using T-connectors. I think I got some from the depot.
Old 03-04-2006 | 01:21 PM
10th Gear

amps

does the 2004 acura tl have any amplifiers in them and if they do where are they located
Old 03-04-2006 | 05:57 PM
10th Gear

I'm getting ready to try this method you guys are describing, and I've seen this mentioned in several threads, but I never see anyone mention what colors the wires are or which is positive and which is negative. I'm gonna install my Rockford setup I've had in my last 2 cars. Any one care to answer that question? Thanks!
Old 03-04-2006 | 06:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by beefster86
does the 2004 acura tl have any amplifiers in them and if they do where are they located

Yes, passenger kick panel.
Old 03-04-2006 | 07:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Thunder&Lighting
I'm getting ready to try this method you guys are describing, and I've seen this mentioned in several threads, but I never see anyone mention what colors the wires are or which is positive and which is negative. I'm gonna install my Rockford setup I've had in my last 2 cars. Any one care to answer that question? Thanks!

I know that somebody posted some scans of the wiring diagrams. Do some searching.
Old 03-05-2006 | 10:25 AM
10th Gear

Thumbs down Un-helpful

No need to reply if all you're going to say is do a search. That's worse than asking a dumb quesiton in the first place. I don't happen to think it's a dumb question nor are their any guarantees that if the wires are such and such color at some connector that they are that way by the time they make it to the sub. I would ask those that have done this to please answer the question at hand. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2006 | 11:52 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Are you asking about the positive and negative wires from the sub that you disconnected?
Old 03-05-2006 | 10:53 PM
10th Gear

Yes, exactly. What color are they and which one is positive and which is negative?
Old 03-05-2006 | 11:23 PM
Instructor

At the subwoofer,
Yellow/Black is +
Lt. Green/Red is -
Old 03-05-2006 | 11:43 PM
Instructor

A high/low converter will work fine for the sub. Adding subs to the stock system will create a dramatic improvement and won't be over bearing unless you turn the amp's gain up too high. For another big improvement, I recommend changing the tweeters also to keep the lows and highs balanced with each other. The stock tweeters were too flat sounding for me even without my added subs. I switched mine out with some Infinity's that required minimal trimming to the underside of the stock grill.
Old 03-08-2006 | 02:08 PM
6th Gear

Re:

I agree i think the stock system is very flat and does not sound very loud compared to the 02 TL that i used to own. I might eventually switch all of the speakers out, or maybe just the tweeters... its Spring break so i have not finished the install... but i will update when I finish the project... once again thanks for all the help
Old 03-08-2006 | 03:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Thunder&Lighting
No need to reply if all you're going to say is do a search. That's worse than asking a dumb quesiton in the first place. I don't happen to think it's a dumb question nor are their any guarantees that if the wires are such and such color at some connector that they are that way by the time they make it to the sub. I would ask those that have done this to please answer the question at hand. Thanks!

Hey idiot, I have bent over backwards to help others with their problems here. When I joined, I took to the time to read 100's of previous posts before I started asking dumb questions. You can speak up when you have more than 8 posts.
Old 03-09-2006 | 06:56 AM
10th Gear

Thumbs down

Now that 's just rude and un-called for. I've been on the forums for more than a month and have literally read hundreds of posts just to try to find a consice answer to a very simple question. Useful information like this gets posted like this once somewhere once and you wade through litterally hunderds of posts like this one with no useful information in them and a bunch of responses from jerks like you saying "do a search" and calling people names. This is supposed to be about helping each other and this kind of attitude does little to foster a community of fellow enthusiasts. I got my answer from someone who actually understands this. I suggest you drop your flame vindetta and we move on. :angryfire
Old 03-09-2006 | 08:26 AM
Lurker

You need to chill there guy. He helped you my mentioning someone had posted the diagrams and they're worth searching for. The world doesn't revolve around you and before expecting everyone to do the work for you, you should try a little to help yourself. THEN, if you aren't able to find what you're looking for, ask.

99% of the time, answers like that are coming from other people who just searched the forums for the last 50 times the same question was asked.

If you spent the same effort doing a few simple searches as you do whining about others you would already have answered your own question.

Helping EACH OTHER means it's a two way street...not we do all the work for you.
Old 03-14-2006 | 11:48 PM
Instructor

I replaced the stock tweeters with these which made a big difference in clarity and crisp highs.
They fit snug between 3 walls on the under side of the stock grills. I used 3 dabs of epoxy to lock them in place on the grill. There was minimal modification or grinding to the underside of the factory grills so I can still reinstall the stock tweeters if I ever have to. The top sides of the factory grills are unchanged. I did use a dental pick tool to clear some the holes in the factory grill which were blocked by plastic.

Old 03-15-2006 | 12:18 AM
Instructor

This will be easier to see.

Old 03-15-2006 | 06:22 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Crook,
did you just replace the tweeters without replacing the amp? And it sounds that much better?
I may want to try this. What is the model of the Infinity tweeter you are using? 1011t?
thanks
Old 03-15-2006 | 01:17 PM
Instructor

Yes, I only replaced the tweeters. They are Infinity 1011t reference series, 4ohms. I got them somewhere online and they weren't really expensive. They do the job just fine for me.
The factory tweeters are also 4ohms. The new tweeters are louder and more dominant that the stock ones. This may be due to a wider frequency range that the Infinitis able to handle and the capaicitor's crossover ratings. The new tweeters also have a 1" silk dome tweeter and the stocks look like 1/2 to 3/4 inch in size.
Old 03-15-2006 | 02:28 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Nice! Thanks for the info.
Old 03-17-2006 | 08:22 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Toronto-TL
I have a 250-1 with a HO110W6 and I just unplugged the sub speaker wire from under the rear deck and connected it to the inputs of the amp and set the amp to high level inputs, does the 500-1 and a selectable high/low input switch?
so you didnt use RCA's??? i just bougt a US amp 2150 600x1@4 (bridged) now i need to steal someones box design for a single sub
Old 03-17-2006 | 06:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Deenice21
so you didnt use RCA's??? i just bougt a US amp 2150 600x1@4 (bridged) now i need to steal someones box design for a single sub

I added an RCA connector to the stock sub wires then plugged it into the 250-1 amp and set the selector to high.

Check out JL's High Output (HO) ported enclosures, I'm using one in the trunk and it's like a fist in your back when it gets going and I can still access the spare tire.

I mounted the amp to the back of the enclosure so I can adjust the amp setting from the back set pass-thru.
Old 03-20-2006 | 10:06 AM
10th Gear

Does anyone have pics of doing it like this?? all the pics that have turned up from a search show th estock amp.

thanks in advance
Old 03-20-2006 | 10:33 AM
10th Gear

I added an RCA connector to the stock sub wires then plugged it into the 250-1 amp and set the selector to high.

Check out JL's High Output (HO) ported enclosures, I'm using one in the trunk and it's like a fist in your back when it gets going and I can still access the spare tire.

I mounted the amp to the back of the enclosure so I can adjust the amp setting from the back set pass-thru.

i like the HO210R-W3v2 its just to find it now for a good price. Speaker Warehouse used to be down here (miami,fl) but i drove by it this weekend and some little cheap flea market type shop was there. i think Speaker warehouse was owned by the founders of JL audio.
Old 03-20-2006 | 11:44 AM
RAR

Originally Posted by Crook
Yes, I only replaced the tweeters. They are Infinity 1011t reference series, 4ohms. I got them somewhere online and they weren't really expensive. They do the job just fine for me.
The factory tweeters are also 4ohms. The new tweeters are louder and more dominant that the stock ones. This may be due to a wider frequency range that the Infinitis able to handle and the capaicitor's crossover ratings. The new tweeters also have a 1" silk dome tweeter and the stocks look like 1/2 to 3/4 inch in size.

You got me looking

I'm eyeing a set of these though:

Image Dynamics NX30

http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSNX30
Old 03-20-2006 | 12:50 PM
4th Gear

Here's a dumb question - do the tweeters just pull straight out?

What tool did you use in order not to damage the dash?

Many thanks in advance.

bign