Adding a 2nd Navi

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding a 2nd Navi

I gotta have a voice recognition navi because my arms are disabled and I can't reach the nag screen ok button much less input addresses. Remember me? I have a steering wheel on the floor to steer with my feet. So I'm having a Nuvi 885-T installed next week. I have an '05 w/navi but I need the VR capability. I'm probably going to hide it in the armrest and use a remote antenna and mic. Granted I won't be able to see the screen but hey..... If not being able to see the screen is a problem, I'll see about another location, just not the windshield where it would invite theft (unreachable by me so I'd be forced to leave it there). I've watched some of the test-drive videos like on youtube, and I don't think you have to see the screen to make it useful.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Good luck with the project!
Old 03-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
the navi TL already has voice recognition from the buttons on the factory steering wheel, it controls climate, radio and navi as well. i'm sure a shop can move the button so it can be easily used, here is your picture you posted:

its on the bottom left, top button on the back row, the buttons on the front are for the Hands Free Link Bluetooth system so you can pair your phone to it.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Advanced

I do use the buttons on the steering wheel for voice commands and phone, but I can't reach the touchscreen. You have to be able to reach the touchscreen to press the nag screen OK button or input addresses. These cannot be done by voice.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
So you steer, brake, and accelerate all with your feet?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
So you steer, brake, and accelerate all with your feet?
That's right. The car can be steered by foot or with hands. Both steering wheels turn at the same time. I brake and press on the accelerator with my right foot since my left foot is used to steer. Works great after getting used to it.

That nag screen has been an insurmountable barrier, but I'm hoping this Nuvi will work for me. I just wish I could have an in-dash unit that would give me what I need, i.e. theft protection plus I could see the display. I'm getting the install done next week at Car Trends.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
To what extent do you have use of your arms at your side -- i ask b/c there are a few models that come with remote controls (in-dash navi units) that you could use with your hands and never have to press the screen.

Theft protection -- well, if you had an in dash double din navi ... it'll be sorta obvious to anyone who wants to break in .. can't hide that too well. At least a portable navi would allow you to hide it/store it/carry it, etc.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
To what extent do you have use of your arms at your side -- i ask b/c there are a few models that come with remote controls (in-dash navi units) that you could use with your hands and never have to press the screen.

Theft protection -- well, if you had an in dash double din navi ... it'll be sorta obvious to anyone who wants to break in .. can't hide that too well. At least a portable navi would allow you to hide it/store it/carry it, etc.
What models are you referring to that have remote controls? I can't do much with my arms, but maybe I could look at one online to see if I might be able to work it.

I searched "in-dash double din navi" but I'm a liittle confused about what they do or if it would be the best solution. Thx for the ideas.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well you DO know that the NAG screen is fixable right? That's an easy mod but inputting the stuff via voice.. Well that can be done on I know the newer NAVIs. When I test drove an 09 TSX I could do everything via voice.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pilotman28
Well you DO know that the NAG screen is fixable right?
Thanks for the reminder... I followed those threads a couple of years ago about the nag screen fix but it seemed difficult and hit-or-miss (AngryDad's stuff etc.). Even if this hidden navi idea works out, I'd really like to be able to view my audio display for the XM, but I haven't been able to. Maybe I need to take another look! I still have the original orange disc in there.

I don't think I could retrofit a newer TL navi into my '05, and I won't be buying a new car for a long time.