Add aux input to 2005 TL (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 03:32 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add aux input to 2005 TL (Canada)

Hi Guys. This is my first post, so bare with me if this sucks.

I recently bought a 2005 TL, it was a great deal and I was happy with it. 20 minutes into ownership of the car I realized the car does not have an aux input. I didn't thought to check because I thought that is something standard since the year 2000.

I have dug through some post here on AZ, and found some useful posts. The closest solution was to use isimple as recommended by everyone, however I don't use an ipod and it is a bit crazy to spend over 100 bucks ( I am from Canada btw) just for aux.

With a bit more research on google, I have realized that I have an unused port for the XM radio that uses a typical Honda/Acura audio plug. So I bought the accord aux adapter and gave it a try, this unit was $30 CAD shipped. It was plug and play, the car thinks its play CDs but its getting input from the aux adapter. I have also plugged in a bluetooth adapter which is about $15 dollars from a chinese site.

$45 and 15 minutes of plugging things in, I have a bluetooth music in the 2005 TL!!

Pros: retain stock radio, center speaker and subwoofer, very easy installation, no electrical noise picked up by the cable.
Cons: had to drill a hole to pass through the cable.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:34 PM
5th Gear

Heres the aux adapter I used ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01K4M6H1Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01K4M6H1Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-08-2017, 10:20 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin Chan
Heres the aux adapter I used ie=UTF8&psc=1https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And a link to the bluetooth part?
Old 10-08-2017, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in the US and looking for the same thing... Basic aux adapter....

I found this:
https://www.ebay.com/i/151845054043?chn=ps&dispItem=1

And, was probably more interested in this as it includes an iPhone lighning connector as a secondary attachment.
https://www.tomtop.com/p-k3948.html?...SABEgKf1vD_BwE

I know they just say for Random Hondas, but think the plug will work in place of the XM receiver?
Any input greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:24 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by DMZ
Mine was some random chinese brand I bought online. But any of the bluetooth music adapter would work. Here is one done by Anker, a better known chinese brand, it also.has mic for handsfree dialing https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0176G5TRO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507652635&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=car+bluet ooth+aux&dpPl=1&dpID=4104cVrc%2BoL&ref=plSrch
Old 10-10-2017, 11:36 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by NSX_Lvr
I'm in the US and looking for the same thing... Basic aux adapter....

I found this:
https://www.ebay.com/i/151845054043?chn=ps&dispItem=1

And, was probably more interested in this as it includes an iPhone lighning connector as a secondary attachment.
https://www.tomtop.com/p-k3948.html?...SABEgKf1vD_BwE

I know they just say for Random Hondas, but think the plug will work in place of the XM receiver?
Any input greatly appreciated.
Neither of those two you found would work, its the wrong plug. Honda has this 6+8 pins plug with key spacing built into the plug, you can see it in the last photo of the amazon link of the unit I uses.

You also don't want something thats straight from plug to aux, chances are those cheap and simple looking adaptor are not grounded probably an it will pick up noise easily.

The link below is one with the right adaptor with a light cable for CHARGING ONLY, from amazon.com. And just a disclaimer, I am not 100% this will work, but its close enough to mine that I have faith, plus its amazon, of.it doesnt work, just return it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UKQSVF0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507653013&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=accor d+aux+adapter&psc=1
Old 10-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Interesting that in the product description, it specifically states that it isn't compatible with the 3G TL.

I have mostly given up on finding an AUX input on my '05...I just don't drive it much and the cassette adapter I have works well enough over the past 7 years. But if this actually works, is priced right, and isn't too difficult to install, it currently has my attention. I do not use XM anymore so the swap of this port to an AUX adapter isn't a huge issue for me.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackass
Interesting that in the product description, it specifically states that it isn't compatible with the 3G TL.

I have mostly given up on finding an AUX input on my '05...I just don't drive it much and the cassette adapter I have works well enough over the past 7 years. But if this actually works, is priced right, and isn't too difficult to install, it currently has my attention. I do not use XM anymore so the swap of this port to an AUX adapter isn't a huge issue for me.
Exactly, but that description states all the models it works with including TSX, but no mention of TL.
It's amazing how many things they missed on this car like an aux adapter and RDS.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:18 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Jackass

Chances are that port is already occupied but the XM radio, so they deemed it "not compatible". I have done some digging and research on the plug itself, it contains very signals such as audio signs, power, ground not much more. This plug is also a Honda specific radio plug, so chances are if it fits and it should work. isimple actually also uses the same plug, but it has a few more features like switch between difference source, and a cable for iphone, I just dont need any of those features.

Like I have mentioned before, this is a product on amazon, if it doesnt work, you can always return it.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:22 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in the same situation. My BT module failed, looked into aftermarket solutions but just didn't like them. I bought a used one on ebay and it seems to be ok for now. As far as the aux input I found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Stereo-...53.m1438.l2649

It's supposed to be compatible with the TL.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:52 AM
10th Gear

Hi Justin, thanks very much for posting this. I am in Vancouver area of Canada and also have a 2005 Acura TL, no Nav but it has factory DVD player. My friend was original owner and she had an older Iphone or Ipod cord installed. The Iphone cord won't work for me. I want to have the AUX jack set up and then I can just plug into to my Android to listen to my Spotify tunes. Sorry..this probably sounds DUH to everyone but i am just learning these technologies.

How hard was it to find the spot on your factory head unit to plug this into? Do I have to completely disassemble and remove the stereo or can a person get to it from behind? I don't mind the disassembly but it sure seems like a TON of work and fasteners on these cars to remove stereo.

Once you have the AUX jack installed, is there an option to choose XM Radio and that would act as my AUX? I have never noticed "XM" as an option, but it is my wife's car and i haven't played with the stereo that much. Re-read your post...do I lose CD player using this set up, or could she still insert CDs (told you we are new to technology )

THANKS!! Great first post by the way...does not suck at all

Last edited by canucklehead2004; 12-24-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:32 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead2004
Hi Justin, thanks very much for posting this. I am in Vancouver area of Canada and also have a 2005 Acura TL, no Nav but it has factory DVD player. My friend was original owner and she had an older Iphone or Ipod cord installed. The Iphone cord won't work for me. I want to have the AUX jack set up and then I can just plug into to my Android to listen to my Spotify tunes. Sorry..this probably sounds DUH to everyone but i am just learning these technologies.

How hard was it to find the spot on your factory head unit to plug this into? Do I have to completely disassemble and remove the stereo or can a person get to it from behind? I don't mind the disassembly but it sure seems like a TON of work and fasteners on these cars to remove stereo.

Once you have the AUX jack installed, is there an option to choose XM Radio and that would act as my AUX? I have never noticed "XM" as an option, but it is my wife's car and i haven't played with the stereo that much. Re-read your post...do I lose CD player using this set up, or could she still insert CDs (told you we are new to technology )

THANKS!! Great first post by the way...does not suck at all

Bluetooth will work with all phone types. Sound is CD quality. Retains some steering wheel controls.

CD should still work if you turn off the Bluetooth because Grom is using the CD changer port, xm radio port or aux port if you have them, leaving the CD player in tack.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:17 AM
10th Gear

Had a chance to play with stereo. There is no XM feature option. My source selections are AM, FM, CD/DVD (not sure why they label it "DVD" since there is no DVD player?), and cassette options. In CD I can also choose CD-C. I think CD-C is where my friend had her Ipod connected.

Was hoping the steering wheel volume controls will still work and the steering wheel bluetooth feature to voice dial. Don't need other controls. Does the GROM allow me to do this, or the Apps2 Justin used? Justin, the Amazon link you posted says it won't work with "factory DVD".... does your TL head unit show the CD player as "CD/DVD" like mine?

thnx!!
Old 12-27-2017, 09:12 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
From what I understand, all 2004-06 Canadian TLs show the CD/DVD button. The DVD is in reference to DVD-Audio Discs that the system can play. CD-C is where you would connect most aftermarket devices to, which is accessed from hitting CD/DVD twice (from what I understand). We have an empty port on the back that the US TLs had their XM Radio inserted (hence why they have the XM button). I believe you would retain the volume control, however, to use the steering wheel Bluetooth would only be accessible with the HFL unit built in the car.

However, I haven't looked very much into the Grom and iSimple options but they may have some sort of intergration into the steering buttons such as track +/-, and the bluetooth controls. The App2Car device that Justin Chan posted allows us to tap into the unused CD-C port but since the other end is just a 3.5mm port, it is just used to send a sound signal. However, by adding something like referenced above, like the Anker Bluetooth unit for $22 Canadian. You would mount that near the steering (usually close to the +/- cluster brightness buttons) and from there you could tap to change tracks, and from what I understand, some of the units you can hold down the multi-function button for a few seconds and it would activate voice commands on your Android or iPhone, which would allow you to voice dial etc, but that would be separate from the Acura TL's built in HFL.

As an aside, I would suggest adding a Ground Loop Isolator to the 3.5mm part to ensure you don't get electrical interference. A lot of the reviews on many of the units available have many people who have interference through sound, sometimes coinciding with acceleration or just when driving the vehicle. Some people haven't had issues, but if you're going to take it all apart, for less than $10, it may be worthwhile to add. From what I understand, its due to the poor shielding on the wires. However, electrical stuff isn't exactly my forte, so another member may have a better explanation.

Disclaimer, I haven't used any of these products or tried any of these methods. This is just from what I've learned so far researching on the internet and forums. But I am looking into doing something similar for my TL as I have a 2004 that doesn't even have HFL, so adding Bluetooth plus streaming would be much better than having a Bluetooth speaker for calling alone.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:30 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead2004
Had a chance to play with stereo. There is no XM feature option. My source selections are AM, FM, CD/DVD (not sure why they label it "DVD" since there is no DVD player?), and cassette options. In CD I can also choose CD-C. I think CD-C is where my friend had her Ipod connected.

Was hoping the steering wheel volume controls will still work and the steering wheel bluetooth feature to voice dial. Don't need other controls. Does the GROM allow me to do this, or the Apps2 Justin used? Justin, the Amazon link you posted says it won't work with "factory DVD".... does your TL head unit show the CD player as "CD/DVD" like mine?

thnx!!
To add the GROM Unit you will go through the CD changer port. Additionally, you will need to add the GROM Bluetooth Dongle to stream music and to make phone calls or to answer incoming calls.

Steering wheel controls will work the volume control and skip tracks. There are other features as well like answer incoming calls and use the audio system as the speakers. The unit comes with a mike for talking on the phone.

For full features please download and read the Bluetooth Dongle OM.

http://gromaudio.com/docs/bluetooth_manual.pdf
Old 12-30-2017, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Justin Chan
Heres the aux adapter I used ie=UTF8&psc=1https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I just bought a 05 TL as well, and I'm looking to get this adapter installed. How has it held up over the last 3 months and do you still recommend it or should I go with something like isimple?
Old 01-02-2018, 07:33 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice thread. Good info. I am looking into this for my 06 TL as well. Also just bought a rearview mirror backup camera kit that I need to install. Fun...fun!
Old 01-02-2018, 11:35 PM
7th Gear

For my base 2005 TL non nav I bought the products I linked below and installed it monday and it works just fine. Just press the cd dvd button on the radio and it will play your music through aux or bluetooh if you choose to buy the adapter.
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-02-2018, 11:49 PM
7th Gear

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01M1671I0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Amazon Amazon
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071JYF5TR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
​​​​​​​
Old 01-03-2018, 12:55 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by NSX_Lvr
It's amazing how many things they missed on this car like an aux adapter and RDS.
Add to that the turn signal mirrors. The models above and below (the TSX and the RL) came with them while the TL got left out.
Meanwhile, the first 3000 3G TL's produced had 'Turn Signal Mirrors' on the window sticker. Then there's the INSTANTANEOUS MPG gauge that we don't have either.
Acura
Old 01-06-2018, 05:57 AM
10th Gear

Since i already have an older Ipod cord wired into the factory unit (I think my friend had an Ipod nano in 2005), could i just buy one of these to adapt it to 3.5mm? i could just plug the 3.5mm jack into my phone and i have my music?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUX-3-5mm-Male-to-30-pin-Female-for-iPod-Nano-MP3-Dock-Adapter-Cable-Black-MA600/311944528630?epid=2202343450&hash=item48a157c2f6:g :12IAAOSwgeRZnNSn
Old 01-07-2018, 08:45 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura Ipod cable

I just ordered that adapter (thanks for the link!). I have an 06 tl that I bought new and had the Ipod cable installed. It never worked well, sound was fine but navigating the songs was a pain. For $11 I'll try it out. I'll let you guys know if it works.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:53 AM
10th Gear

dmarcus, did you order the adapter I gave the link for? PLEASE do let me know if it is the correct fit/connect and if you can plug the 3.5mm into your device and get same net result of your music.
thnx
Old 01-08-2018, 01:51 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Case
For my base 2005 TL non nav I bought the products I linked below and installed it monday and it works just fine. Just press the cd dvd button on the radio and it will play your music through aux or bluetooh if you choose to buy the adapter.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01M16...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B071JY...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0176G...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hey I was looking at doing a similar install, do you have any pictures of the finished product, like where you drilled the hole through the dash, or where you hid the wiring and final mounting position? Also, How did you connect the wire from the adapter from the back of the radio to the bluetooth receiver as they both have 3.5mm male plugs? Did you just use a 3.5mm female to female adapter/coupler? That's what I was planning on doing but I didn't want to overlook anything. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:01 PM
6th Gear

Hi, thanks for all the great info in this thread. I have a Canadian 2006 TL without Nav and just ordered the basic aux conection Justin used, my question (likely dumb) is this; currently when i press my CD/DVD button twice nothing happens (ie cd continues to play).

Is this because nothing is hooked up to my open port at the back of my head unit? Just curious before i do my install.
Thanks in advance
Old 01-28-2018, 06:13 PM
10th Gear

Just an update... I have an Ipod connector already in place and bought an adapter plug that goes FROM IPOD TO 3.5mm. I plugged in my phone and it doesn't seem to do anything.

Dmarcus, did your adapter do anything?

Looks like I may have to dig deeper.

Bonder, sorry i don't know the answer to your question. Let me know how your conversion works out. I may end up having to do what you and Justin did.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:50 PM
6th Gear

Update: Spring took awhile to get here, I installed the basic unit today (
Amazon Amazon
), taking the trim off took all of 10 minutes tops, but trying to get the adaptor plugged into the back of the head unit took me probably 45 minutes, not along of room back there . Hit the CD/DVD button to get to CDC and I have good quality sound, so much better than the crappy CD adaptor I tried. Volume controls work on the steering wheel but couldn't advance the tracks.

Overall for the cost I'd say this is a great option, I may add the bluetooth option in the future, my second HFL is starting to act up and I'm not keen on replacing it again.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:21 PM
6th Gear

I should added the sound is quite a bit lower vs CD as many others have stated, I just make sure I crank the volume on my phone, this helps quite a bit.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:35 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by vpasla1
Hey I was looking at doing a similar install, do you have any pictures of the finished product, like where you drilled the hole through the dash, or where you hid the wiring and final mounting position? Also, How did you connect the wire from the adapter from the back of the radio to the bluetooth receiver as they both have 3.5mm male plugs? Did you just use a 3.5mm female to female adapter/coupler? That's what I was planning on doing but I didn't want to overlook anything. Thanks.
sorry forgot to check back in this thread. I didnt cut anyholes for the wire. it wasnt very thick so I just put it inbetween the drivers under panel and the side piece and then just stuck it onto the left silver trim piece by the radio. Ill get pics when I goto work tomorrow
Old 05-24-2018, 12:36 PM
10th Gear

Does anyone have a picture of the back of their stereo to show where the plug would go in?
Great right up and good info. I'll be ordering that adapter soon!
Old 07-22-2018, 06:17 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Will be adding AUX soon to clear up the clutter in my cabin. I've already hardwired up a RDD, which is mandatory, IMO. Next will be this adapter that everyone has been posting in here:

amazon.com/dp/B01K4M6H1Y?tag=viglink20955-20 amazon.com/dp/B01K4M6H1Y?tag=viglink20955-20

I'd love to throw in a cheaper BT module, but one thing at a time. If all goes well I will be able to get rid of this cassette adapter once and for all (nah, I will probably just put it in the glove box in case lol).
Old 07-29-2020, 10:36 AM
10th Gear

Aux Port

Originally Posted by DMZ
This unit says not compatible with factory nav or DVD radio.
Does anyone know why or is this even true.
2006 Canadian TL with factory nav. Would love to know if this works.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:37 AM
10th Gear

Aux Port

Originally Posted by DMZ
Old 07-29-2020, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by GUN-M-TL
canadian TL's don't have "XM" persay but you can still get it to work by using the CD player button to switch to CD-C (CD changer external aka aux mode) or use the steering wheel mode button to cycle to it. I'm using the iSimple now with my TL and it works great
Old 05-19-2021, 11:06 AM
1st Gear

I have the Canadian 06 with nav and was able to clip the amazon cable - recommended above - to the back of the tape deck fairly easily. It has power, and my phone seems to recognize that it can send a signal through it, but I can not get it going. I've tried hitting cd/dvd twice (three times.... 23 times) and using the steering wheel to scroll through modes in the hopes of finding the "cdc" option, but nothing has worked yet.

I will add that my nav system failed a while ago - disk read error - and I do not have full control of my stereo system (another project I'm working on). However the tape deck, cd, tuner, etc all work fine, I'm just missing the visual display and do not think that is the specific issue.

I'll send a progress update, when I've got one. In the mean time I'd welcome any advice on the aux install
Old 02-28-2022, 03:03 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I got the HON1U3 for my 04 TL, since I was GOING TO TRY to get the six cds of prev. owner out of the 6-DVD player unit, may as well get AUX audio in after taking the bloody cabin virtually apart to get behind the head unit.
Didnt get the discs out, tiny springs everywhere and a huge skill needed seems, found out if you screw around with the NAV or dont finish the job the same day, you drive around with nothing. No enviro or audio or NAV nothing. Central console FOR ME when I had gotten only part way done was zero function

Clock bug everyone has came, got used to years of off clock display.
But audio was delicious

The GROM is buggy as heal, needs unplugging every now and then as it freezes center column (prob internal buffer full?), so made it where I can do thatwithout groping around behind the tiny space of radio.

Clock 'fixed itself' early Feb 2022... or fixed and broke others.

IT KILLED DVD AND CASSETTE PLAY buttons when GROM box is not plugged in. (uses SAT port to play digital music to head unit)
It kills all NAV and screen access IF MY GROM is plugged in.
Nothing works.
I use the DVD button to trigger my Grom US3 via the SAT/AUX (actually the DVD button on Canadian TLs)

So it wont do the GROM and im pzzed.
i see nothing from GROM about our 'older GROM units' getting an update.
I hope to find other GROM unit users and know if their 04 TL experience is the same

I was willing to ignore the stupid off time HONDA CAUSED problem to have my GROM working pure digital music, more than having accurate time. BOTH WOULDVE BEEN NICE but given no choice, you now know my preference...
Old 03-02-2022, 11:32 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Not sure if English is not your first language, but I did not understand anything you said other than you're having Grom issues. Try researching other options.