Acura Wants to Charge me $296 to Replace Defective HFL! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008 | 05:56 PM
Instructor

Acura Wants to Charge me $296 to Replace Defective HFL! Help!!

I bought my 2004 TL used a couple of years ago with about 50,000 miles on it, so the factory warranty already expired a while ago. I noticed that the HFL link was always a little off, and when I read This Thread I noticed that I am not the only one that had these issues. I was also very happy to learn that my VIN number DID fall into one of the affected HFL problem ranges.

So I take my car into Acura of San Diego today with a copy of the TSB, a printout of the iPhone page on the HFL web site saying that it is fully compatible with the system, and a list of 7 or 8 non-ATT related problems that I have had with the HFL. The first thing that the service adviser asks me is if I have an extended warranty, which I do not. He told me that there would be a $100 diagnostic fee if there was nothing wrong with the unit, but if Acura was going to replace the unit I would not be charged.

I got a call a few minutes ago from the adviser saying that Acura will cover 50% of the cost of replacing the HFL since my car has 82,000 miles on it. I told them that this was not acceptable, since there was a TSB that specifically stated that my VIN was experiencing these problems. He replied by telling me that a TSB is NOT a recall, and the dealer is not responsible, and they are only authorized to do what Acura will pay for. Apparently covering 50% of the cost of the HFL replacement is Acura's definition of goodwill.

I told them to go ahead with it since they need to order the part which won't be in till next week. In the meantime, I would like to see if anybody here has any suggestions of what I can do to make Acura cover 100% of this repair. I know many of you got it replaced even after your warranty has expired, so any help is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 06-20-2008 | 06:44 PM
Acura drove me away too..

I would call Acura directly... they usually have good cs in my experiences.
Old 06-20-2008 | 07:09 PM
Pro

I hate to be a nay-sayer here, but Acura doesn't have to cover any part of the repair. It wasn't part of a recall, certainly isn't related to safe operation of your vehicle, and you're 30K out of warranty.

I know it sucks to suddenly get stuck with a $300 bill, but I think you should be appreciative of the fact that they are offering you half.
Old 06-20-2008 | 11:04 PM
Racer

You are complaining that Acura will not pay to fix your car with 82,000 miles on it???? What fantasy dreamland do you live in?
Old 06-21-2008 | 04:56 PM
Instructor

I completely understand that, although Acura is not required to fix this issue, I feel that they could do more, since they have already performed the EXACT same service for free for many people on this forum.

Yes, my car does have 82,000 miles on it, but this is not a part that breaks down due to wear and tear or the amount of miles driven. This Bluetooth module had a known issue after it was released from the factory, and the only reason why Acura did not issue a recall was due to the fact that they did not view the part as essential to the safe operation of the vehicle.

The only reason why I am bringing to this to them so late is that starting on July 1st, California will require all drivers to use a handsfree device while driving. Although I always use my HFL when driving to make calls, it does not do me any good if the system is completely locked up.

I appreciate you giving your personal opinions on what Acura should or should not cover, and how you think I am crazy to think that they would extend the same courtesy to me as they have to many of you, but that is not the point. Please limit your comments to things that will actually help me solve this problem. Thank you.
Old 06-21-2008 | 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

^ I agree, its a part that shouldn't break and if there is a TSB on the part, then I would say that they knew it would break, so I don't think the should cover all of it, maybe they pay for the part and you pay labor if that works out cheaper
Old 06-21-2008 | 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

I would take the 50% coverage and run. Your car is way outta warranty and if you came to my dealer most likely wouldn't have gotten any help. I do understand your point but on the same token and warranty is a warranty for a reason. And it expires for a reason. Cars and components are by no means designed to last a lifetime. This would put carmakers out of business, (yes cars are a business) And not for nothing, you could have bought a new car too. Try to keep it in perspective. Walking into a dealer waving a TSB is the WRONG way to start it off. Believe me I know.
Old 06-21-2008 | 08:48 PM
Pro

Check out this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142266
Old 06-21-2008 | 10:04 PM
Pro

The other thing is that you never owned the car while it was under warranty. Expecting a gratis repair isn't reasonable.

I have a better suggestion...what about replacing the HFL module yourself? I think it's a simple unplug and replug job. Maybe someone here can provide a scan of the service manual pages.
Old 06-22-2008 | 09:53 AM
Burning Brakes

If he pays part of the labor at has it done at Acura he should get a 3 36 warranty on it. If he does it himself and buys the part over the counter he gets 12 12. If he buys it off ebay and installs it gets the goose egg.
Old 06-24-2008 | 12:25 PM
Instructor

I want to thank you for all of your input. I know some of you have viewed me as a spoiled child asking for something for free, but that is not the case. I wanted to receive the same treatment as others have already received for the same service.

With that said, after a call to Acura customer service, they will not budge with the $296 price. At this cost, they are paying for half of the parts and labor. Since I need to make sure that this is fixed before the new law takes effect in California for cell phone driving, I am going to bite the bullet and have them replace it.

Please use this as a lesson...if your car is under warranty and you have even the least doubt that something is not working like it should, take it in! Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-24-2008 | 01:23 PM
ADVANCE.

Yeah man, just take the 50%. Sht happens. Gotta get it fixed. Hope everything works out. PEACE!
Old 06-27-2008 | 08:53 PM
Modding my TL in

Can someone please tell me:

a) proper part number for new HFL?
b) where I can order it online?

I've looked and searched and come up dry (only old part number) and online shows as a "dealer serviceable part" only.

Please help and thanks.