Acura Music Link problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 12:04 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Acura Music Link problems

I just got a 2006 TL and added the iPOD music link.
The software doesn't work on the computer...it freezes at the last part before completing files it's supposed to put on the iPOD. Despite attempts including erasing the whole iPOD, reinstalling the software, I can't get it to work.

Anyone have any clue if it has worked for anyone? I am really disappointed. A headphone jack and power cord would work better. I can play the iPOD but I have no idea what song will play and have NO control over the iPOD, so it'd be better in the car with me than in the glovebox.

The car is incredible but I feel like I got taken on this one option.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Banned

They should have a contact number for Tech support shouldn't they???
Old 01-09-2006, 06:19 PM
2nd Gear

Red face

Acura says to look at www.acura.com for updates...i don't see any link there!
Old 01-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Racer

iTunes was freezing on me as well. It happened when doing the voice files for the album names. I found that if I switched to the task manager and did a restart on the PC, iTunes would finish after. I chalked this up to the fact that I am using a 3G iPod, which is not on the compatibility list.

I mounted my iPod on the dash because of this. I usually listen in DISC 5 or DISC 6 mode, but when I want a particular album or song, I just unplug it and cue up what I want then plug it back in. I know this is not the greatest, but it works.

jjh1234
Old 01-09-2006, 08:50 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

Originally Posted by jjh1234
iTunes was freezing on me as well. It happened when doing the voice files for the album names. I found that if I switched to the task manager and did a restart on the PC, iTunes would finish after. I chalked this up to the fact that I am using a 3G iPod, which is not on the compatibility list.

I mounted my iPod on the dash because of this. I usually listen in DISC 5 or DISC 6 mode, but when I want a particular album or song, I just unplug it and cue up what I want then plug it back in. I know this is not the greatest, but it works.

jjh1234
I just can't justify spending 400 on a system that is no non-intuitive, just to ultimately mount my iPod on the OUTSIDE of the glove box or center arm rest... just to reach the songs I want...

DAMN YOU ACURA!!! LISTEN TO US! YOU EFFED UP BIGTIME ON THIS!!

...sorry for the rant... i was just so looking forward to this...

my drive+play may not be perfect, but for the cost and what it can do i think it works wonderfully.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sequoia
I just can't justify spending 400 on a system that is no non-intuitive, just to ultimately mount my iPod on the OUTSIDE of the glove box or center arm rest... just to reach the songs I want...

my drive+play may not be perfect, but for the cost and what it can do i think it works wonderfully.
install it yourself and its only 200 bucks

and isnt the drive + play just a controller? you still need an aux in unit installed

thats like 300 in hardware alone before any installation
Old 01-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sequoia

I did not spend $400. It cost me ~$250 parts and 3 hours of my time. The installation instructions from Acura are pretty good. My biggest problem was removing the darn aluminum strips on each side of the navi. The KTC Trim Tool kit probably would have helped.

Even though the Music Link DOES SUCK in some respects, keep these things in mind.

1 - 100% plug & play install (no wires to cut)

2 - Won't void vehicle warranty

3 - Crystal clear sound

4 - At least SOME integration with factory radio and display

5 - Get to keep XM

6 - No guessing about vehicle compatibility

7 - Possibility of future updates

jjh1234
Old 01-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Instructor

I did not spend $400. It cost me ~$250 parts and 3 hours of my time. The installation instructions from Acura are pretty good. My biggest problem was removing the darn aluminum strips on each side of the navi. The KTC Trim Tool kit probably would have helped.

Even though the Music Link DOES SUCK in some respects, keep these things in mind.

1 - 100% plug & play install (no wires to cut)

2 - Won't void vehicle warranty

3 - Crystal clear sound

4 - At least SOME integration with factory radio and display

5 - Get to keep XM

6 - No guessing about vehicle compatibility

7 - Possibility of future updates

jjh1234
im going to be recieving my unit this week - any tips on the install? how did you end up getting the aluminum strips?

and any pics of the install process?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'll pass on this, save the $300 and maybe wait for refinements (if any). In the meanwhile, I'll just continue making my own DVD-A compilations.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JustinZ
im going to be recieving my unit this week - any tips on the install? how did you end up getting the aluminum strips?

and any pics of the install process?
I had two problems with the install. One, the vent removal tool and two, the aluminum trim.

I made my own vent removal tool from a metal coat hangar bent into the shape of the tool listed in the Music Link Installation Instructions (see link below). You have to insert it like the instructions say and use a fair amount of pull to get the entire vent assembly to pop out.

The aluminum strips were a bit more tricky. Maybe somebody else has a better way. The hard part is releasing the two "retaining tabs" at the top of the strip. The installation instructions are not real clear about the placement of these, but Page 20-77 of the 2004 service manual gives a better picture (look for the "C" hooks). I used the plastic wedge that happened to come with my proclip ipod mount. I jammed it between the navi and the aluminum strip and pulled the strip away from the dash at the same time. It still took a lot of pressure and I was scared that the strip or the navi bezel was going to break. Eventually they released.

The rest of the install was by the instructions except that I mounted the iPod on the dash for reasons I explained earlier. Hope this helps.

Installation Instructions
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127777

Mounting Photos
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeefn0v/
Old 01-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Instructor

I had two problems with the install. One, the vent removal tool and two, the aluminum trim.

I made my own vent removal tool from a metal coat hangar bent into the shape of the tool listed in the Music Link Installation Instructions (see link below). You have to insert it like the instructions say and use a fair amount of pull to get the entire vent assembly to pop out.

The aluminum strips were a bit more tricky. Maybe somebody else has a better way. The hard part is releasing the two "retaining tabs" at the top of the strip. The installation instructions are not real clear about the placement of these, but Page 20-77 of the 2004 service manual gives a better picture (look for the "C" hooks). I used the plastic wedge that happened to come with my proclip ipod mount. I jammed it between the navi and the aluminum strip and pulled the strip away from the dash at the same time. It still took a lot of pressure and I was scared that the strip or the navi bezel was going to break. Eventually they released.

The rest of the install was by the instructions except that I mounted the iPod on the dash for reasons I explained earlier. Hope this helps.

Installation Instructions
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127777

Mounting Photos
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeefn0v/
uh
wow, I thought it would be a lot easier

I think I’m going to try and get the wire to the armrest - is it going to be long enough?
do you think ill have to take apart the glove compartment if i mount it in the armrest?

and would you happen to have a scan of the 2004 service manual? i just looked at my aluminum trim pieces and I have no idea how I’m getting those out - those air vents also look like a pretty daunting task too

Ill be damned if I pay somebody 200 bucks to do this
Old 01-10-2006, 01:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JustinZ
uh
wow, I thought it would be a lot easier

I think I’m going to try and get the wire to the armrest - is it going to be long enough?
do you think ill have to take apart the glove compartment if i mount it in the armrest?

and would you happen to have a scan of the 2004 service manual? i just looked at my aluminum trim pieces and I have no idea how I’m getting those out - those air vents also look like a pretty daunting task too

Ill be damned if I pay somebody 200 bucks to do this

Check your messages!

The cables are way long, so you should not have a problem putting it where you want. I did not remove the glove box or the panels on either side of the radio. I was able to squeeze it out between them.

The vent is not too bad. You just have to get that tool between where the two parts of the vent meet.

Start removing the trim pieces where they meet the arm rest and work your way forward. Use some kind of plastic tool or a screwdriver covered with electrical tape. You could always buy the KTC Tool Set here.

http://thetoolnetwork.com/panel_popp...l_company.html