Acura Ipod Music Link for 2004 TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Acura Ipod Music Link for 2004 TL

Has anyone installed the Acura Ipod Music Link on their 2004 TL with Navi? Everyone on the board that has it seems to have a '05 or '06. It looks like we all have the same set-up but wanted to make sure before I tear apart my dash.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:07 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may risk it. Chandes of success are excellent
Old 01-21-2006, 01:05 AM
Advanced

The harness used to connect the Acura Music Link device is designed specifically for the '06 TL. I have read stories on this forum about retrofitting the device to the '04 and '05 models, but my dealer (McGrath of Morton Grove) refused to touch it. I may have a professional installer try to retrofit the link on my car, but from what I'm reading it's not all it's cracked up to be. Navigation is difficult and the ID3 tags don't seem to get displayed in all the installs. I think the link below is the way I'm gonna go.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...45#post1360945
Old 01-21-2006, 05:07 AM
Instructor

Thanks Jimmy! The HK may be a viable option. The only reason I'm considering the Acura Music Link is because of the plug and play installation and the ability to use the steering wheel controls. What exactly is invoved in retofitting the harness/device to fit the '04 & '05 models?
Old 01-21-2006, 08:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ducati748R
Thanks Jimmy! The HK may be a viable option. The only reason I'm considering the Acura Music Link is because of the plug and play installation and the ability to use the steering wheel controls. What exactly is invoved in retofitting the harness/device to fit the '04 & '05 models?

From what I've read on this forum, the '04, '05 and '06 are exactly the same. Others have installed the music link on '04 and '05 without modification. Read all of the Music Link threads and you will see what they say.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:25 AM
Advanced

Not arguing with ya

I agree - I know the Acura Music link can be installed in all 3g TL's. My Acura dealer simply refused to do the work. The AML is designed specifically for the '06 line TL, TSX, MDX and the upcoming RSX.

Those of you in Chicago are probably familiar with Abt Electronics. They're the best installers in the city and did one incredible job on my 91 Miata. I was considering bringing the AML to Abt to install on my TL since the dealer shined me on, but after all I've read about compatibility issues, the crappy text-to-speech software and inability to post ID3 tags to the navi screen, I've decided that the Harmon Kardon solution is the way to go.

As nice as it would be to have control of the iPod with the steering wheel, we gotta face facts here people. The steering wheel will give you volume and track control. You'll have to make playlists, just like the BMW iPod link. It may be a separate control, but I stopped by Circuit City and actually tried the HK Drive+Play. It has four buttons representing the iPod click wheel controls and a ring knob to cue forward and back. If you know how to use an iPod, it's a one minute learning curve. Ease of use is the most important thing to me. (My TL's navigation system is the best I've seen in any car, anywhere)

I wish I could press the voice command button and request a band, genre or song, but that's clearly not gonna happen. All I want is something simple and easy to use so I'm not fumbling with my iPod in traffic! The HK unit does just that.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:46 PM
Instructor

Thanks for all the help. Do any of you actually know of a member with an '04 that has successfully installed the Acura Music Link? I may take the AML to my local Sound Advice and see how much they will charge to install the unit.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ducati748R
Thanks for all the help. Do any of you actually know of a member with an '04 that has successfully installed the Acura Music Link? I may take the AML to my local Sound Advice and see how much they will charge to install the unit.
Sorry Ducati, I don't. I'm new to this forum and I don't know anyone else that owns an '04 TL. Perhaps someone reading this thread? If you have one, can you please post photos and your installation experience?

Ducati, I think your idea has merit. Pick up the AML and talk to a professional installer. Bring him all the technical data you can possibly supply and tell him what you want. Be sure to make arrangements for a return with the Acura dealer if you decide to buy the link and find out it doesn't work. In other words, test everything before your installer reassembles your dashboard. You have to return the AML exactly the way you found it. Splicing those wires in any way will make the AML yours to keep. No one likes setting their hard earned money on fire. :angryfire

Good luck. I just ordered my Drive + Play at Circuit City for pick up. Taking it to Abt tomorrow for installation. If Abt can work an inline audio solution, I'll take it. If they can't, I'm running it through the FM antenna.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:44 AM
Racer

The following members have installed the music link in non-'06 TL's

AcuraTL10
Usalinh
in thread https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/dr-j-sex-tape-128737/

gman44116
in thread https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/super-bowl-half-time-show-129211/

cloudsplitter
in thread https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...7&page=3&pp=25

That's at least four that I could find in 10 minutes. I know that there is at least one more that acutally got the dealer to do it. He told them that he would pay the labor even if it did not fit.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Instructor

Thanks everyone!!! Jimmy, good luck with your set-up, let me know how it goes. If the AML soulution looks to be too much of a pain I may end up going the HK route.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:07 AM
Advanced

Picked up my Drive + Play

I picked up my HK D+P from Circuit City and drove straight to Abt for installation. The guys there were reluctant to do the work because I didn't buy the unit there. (Never mind the fact that it's not sold there) I convinced them to do the work because I've already blown a bundle there on my 91 Miata. There was no way I was going to let the 17 year old kid at Circuit City rip up my dash.

First of all, the D+P install will require dash disassembly. There's no quick way to get to the rear of the radio. Expect to pay two to three hours of labor for a professional installation. I suspect the same is required for the Acura Music Link because the harness connectors are all behind the radio deep inside the dash.

Second, there is no auxiliary input on the TL audio system. I am patching the D+P using the D+P inline FM modulator sold separately ($27). Abt offered me a blitzsafe adapter, which overrides the XM Radio button. Without integrated ipod control in the system, I didn't see much point in losing XM.

I will take photos once the system in installed. Should be done in the next couple of weeks. Later on!
Old 01-24-2006, 02:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jimmyjet
I picked up my HK D+P from Circuit City and drove straight to Abt for installation. The guys there were reluctant to do the work because I didn't buy the unit there. (Never mind the fact that it's not sold there) I convinced them to do the work because I've already blown a bundle there on my 91 Miata. There was no way I was going to let the 17 year old kid at Circuit City rip up my dash.

First of all, the D+P install will require dash disassembly. There's no quick way to get to the rear of the radio. Expect to pay two to three hours of labor for a professional installation. I suspect the same is required for the Acura Music Link because the harness connectors are all behind the radio deep inside the dash.

Second, there is no auxiliary input on the TL audio system. I am patching the D+P using the D+P inline FM modulator sold separately ($27). Abt offered me a blitzsafe adapter, which overrides the XM Radio button. Without integrated ipod control in the system, I didn't see much point in losing XM.

I will take photos once the system in installed. Should be done in the next couple of weeks. Later on!

I would seriously reconsider the FM modulator. You will probably be sorry when you hear the sound quality. You will probably hear a hissing sound in the background, especially during quiet songs and between tracks. If this won't bother you, then fine. If you want to keep your XM, people have had success using the PIE X3 aux input adapter here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/gm-2005-hydra-matic-6-speed-129030/

Good Luck,
jjh1234
Old 01-24-2006, 08:00 AM
Advanced

I believe the HK unit uses a "WIRED" FM modulator that plugs directly into the stereo. I wasnt sure if you were aware of that or not, but the sound is significantly better than the Modulator\transmitters that most units use.

I would definitely have to hear it in a car before I bought one though. I have a modulator that transmits FM into the air and my radio picks it up. It really sounded terrible so I got a tape adapter until acura, apple, or a third party manufacturer impresses me with a new solution.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by hoTLanta
I believe the HK unit uses a "WIRED" FM modulator that plugs directly into the stereo. I wasnt sure if you were aware of that or not, but the sound is significantly better than the Modulator\transmitters that most units use.

I would definitely have to hear it in a car before I bought one though. I have a modulator that transmits FM into the air and my radio picks it up. It really sounded terrible so I got a tape adapter until acura, apple, or a third party manufacturer impresses me with a new solution.

Yes, I was aware. Usually the wireless is called a "FM Transmitter" and a wired is called a "FM Modulator". Both pretty much suck, but you are right, the wireless REALLY suck. I would only use the wired only as a last resort. I added XM to my 1999 Mercedes SLK 230 with the Delphi FM Modulator

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1093468786609

and it is ok, but I still hear some background hissing and static. My only aux input option is a $400 fiber optic adapter and I would lose the 6 Disc changer. I'm probably going to drop $1000 on a 7" DVD unit because of this.

Maybe he can live with it, maybe not. It would suck to spend all that money on the H+K and installation and be pissed off in the end.

Here's my personal ratings on input options

#1 - Direct Connect (Music Link, PIE, SoundGate)

#2 - Cassette Adapter

#3 - Wired FM Modulator

#4 - Wireless FM Modulator

jjh1234
Old 01-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jjh1234
Yes, I was aware. Usually the wireless is called a "FM Transmitter" and a wired is called a "FM Modulator". Both pretty much suck, but you are right, the wireless REALLY suck. I would only use the wired only as a last resort. I added XM to my 1999 Mercedes SLK 230 with the Delphi FM Modulator

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1093468786609

and it is ok, but I still hear some background hissing and static. My only aux input option is a $400 fiber optic adapter and I would lose the 6 Disc changer. I'm probably going to drop $1000 on a 7" DVD unit because of this.

Maybe he can live with it, maybe not. It would suck to spend all that money on the H+K and installation and be pissed off in the end.

Here's my personal ratings on input options

#1 - Direct Connect (Music Link, PIE, SoundGate)

#2 - Cassette Adapter

#3 - Wired FM Modulator

#4 - Wireless FM Modulator

jjh1234

I second those ratings!
Old 01-25-2006, 12:32 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the comments

I happened upon the P.I.E. X3 selector switch while browsing the site and I agree with you. I'm ordering the X3 unit and placing the selector switch in the lower cubby in my dash. (I never use that space - nothing fits in it except a pack of cigarettes or box of altoids) I hope the switch fits in there. Not sure where else it'll look clean.

I'm returning the wired FM transmitter to Circuit City. With all this gear paired together, I should get the best sound out of the system. I hope the XM audio does not bleed through my iPod connection like I read in another thread.

As long as I'm ripping up my dash, I might as well get the video adapter and maybe the rear view camera too. This little project is falling victim to my usual habit of scope creep!

Later on!
Old 01-25-2006, 01:10 AM
5th Gear

iPod for 04

I was in my nearest dealer today (Arlington Acura in Palatine, IL...aka Test Monkey Training Facility) and asking about the MusicLink for an 04' TL (Mine). I was told they did an install on an 05' (MusicLink) without a problem what so ever but the guy who owned the 05 took full risk...and if it didn’t work had to eat the $500. The Only thing that pisses me off with this is that cost over $500 with no guarantee. From what they told me (Test Monkey's) it's a few RCA cable that have an adapter to fit the iPod...so I don’t know if it charges or what or even controlled thru the wheel...etc. They also told me you lose your Cassette deck because you steal the cable from it for the MusicLink...but I don’t trust them. They are pretty much wrong 90% of the time over there terrible Dealer...unfortunately it is the closed to my house...wish Acura would take note sometime...anyway. Wondering if anyone has pictures of the MusicLink Cables, install...etc and if we can order them cheaper somewhere else...even direct or somewhere other then the total rip-off dealer...$500 for cables...damn. Let me know
Old 01-25-2006, 01:28 AM
Racer

They fed you a load of bullshit. There are no RCA cables as part of this install. You DO NOT lose the cassette deck. The Music Link DOES charge your iPod. $500 is a little steep too. Some people have bought the parts for ~190-200 and paid a local stereo shop ~50-100 for installation. My delaler wanted 250 parts and 200 labor. You can see the Acura installation instructions here.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mwyche...od_Install.pdf

Some of these idiot dealers scare the hell out of me.

jjh1234
Old 01-25-2006, 05:15 PM
10th Gear

Alternative to Music Link

For what its' worth I have found a pretty good alternative to the Music Link for a lot less money. What you will need is the Belkin car kit, a casette adapter and an RF remote kit. Plug the Belkin car charger into you 12V oulet in your console and run the docking cord to the upper section through the hole designed for cell phone charger cords. Insert the cassette adapter and run the small cord along the side of the console and into the lower section of the console and plug it into the stereo jack outlet on the side of the Belkin charger. Set the volume of the Belkin charger slightly above 1/2 way. Insert the RF remote receiver into the top of your Ipod ( you will need a 3rd or 4th gen Ipod for this to work) plug the Ipod into the dock connector coming from the Belking kit and close the console. The Ipod and all wiring will be out of sight except the one small cord coming from the casette adapter. Keep the small RF transmitter in a handy place and it will provide the same basic functionality as the Music link system. Your I pod will play through the casset deck, it will charge while you drive and you can stop/start/pause and change tracks with the small remote transmitter. All of this will cost you about $100 and while it may not sound as good as a direct connect it is pretty close and a whole lot better than any FM based device.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:10 AM
Advanced

Been there, done that

Originally Posted by TonyS
For what its' worth I have found a pretty good alternative to the Music Link for a lot less money. What you will need is the Belkin car kit, a casette adapter and an RF remote kit.
The whole idea here is to have partial (Acura Music Link) or full (Harmon Kardon Drive + Play) control of the iPod without touching the iPod and (preferably) keeping the unit out of sight. In the end, anything with exposed wires is unacceptable to me. The cassette adapters are great if you're borrowing mom's Lexus. Since the Acura Music Link is incredibly expensive and offers very little in the way of functionality, I'm willing to spend the money I would have spent on the AML on a much better solution.

Your solution takes the AML and puts it on a separate battery powered remote that you have to mount somewhere. I saw one post where a guy used the Griffin AirClick inside the spokes of his steering wheel. Clever and relatively discreet. Maybe that'll satisfy some of you.

I'm fickle. There are not many playlists I stick to from start to end. D+P and the PIE X3 should give me everything I want for about the same price as the dealer-installed AML. So I'll have to deal with one little extra screen on my dash. It's style looks like it's made for the TL's ebony interior.

Maybe next time we're in the market for a new car, more automakers will recognize the 42 million (and growing) iPods sold in this country can weigh heavily on spending decisions. For my TL, full iPod integration with voice control would be a dream come true. Instead of "CD, play track 2" you could say "iPod, play artist Aerosmith." Until then, we're stuck with whatever we can make of it.